Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2022 8:19:04 PM EDT
I was setting up an MPC in FDE and ran across an affordable ACS-L in foliage (less expensive because it's commercial).  Thought I'd try it and I like it, nice stock that locks tight unlike a CTR I tried, and not too bulky or heavy.  Foliage being hard to find nowadays, I googled for matches. I saw the Rustoleum Self-etch primer listed as the best match in multiple places, but no pics.  I have a couple cans of that on hand anyway for automotive uses, so today I tried it. It has zinc phosphate in it which is what gives it both the color and does the etching for adhesion (on metal; no effect here). I tried it on an A2 grip first before as a sacrificial test bed.

Verdict - not perfect, but not bad.  There is glare that makes the colors look more distinct than in reality.  IRL it matches better than the pictures because they highlight the colors quite a bit more than to the naked eye it, seems.  Thought I would post this for reference for other people in the future.  I'm pretty picky but it's good enough for me; I'll paint a handguard also and live with it until/if I run across some proper foliage colored pieces.

FYI if you try this, the etching primer dries chalky and soft compared to regular paint. It's a primer and designed to be sanded. So you need to top coat it. I hit it with some good quality Duplicolor clear so it will hold it better.

Close up of the Foliage ACS-L stock with an A2 grip I removed the nub, painted w/the Rustoleum and then clear-coated.  ODG on the left for comparison.
Attachment Attached File

Full view which shows the difference is less apparent from more distance. Note the S&W on the left has both an ODG handguard and grip, but they look different because of angle and lighting - they are in fact the same.
Attachment Attached File

Paint I used for reference.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Here’s a finished pic. In person, the gap is not so noticeable and I’ll live with it because the ACS-Locks up tight and I like it, and finding foliage stuff is not possible.  The SL handguard was cut down and I like that, too.

Next project is to see if Krylong Camouflage flat Olive is a match for Magpul ODG in order to match a Rogers stock to the other furniture. It was the best candidate from a lot of online reading. Early indications are: not well.

Attachment Attached File

The olive does not look promising and as usual, the Krylon sprays horribly - I normally go with Rustoleum for that reason or a more premium brand.  I’ll see when it dries and try some clear-coat to alter it if it’s still very bad.  It’s definitely green and not “olive” and does not match as well as people in the past said - but they provided no pics.  The grips is Magpul and the pmag and piece of the Rogers stock are painted.  Drying and clear coating should darken it a bit.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top