Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2019 11:17:49 PM EDT
Have a chance to buy an older PWS mod 0 or a Lwrc m6
any thoughts or recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m actually thinking about picking up a LWRC M6A3. The quality looks great! One of my co-workers has the LWRC IC-PDW as his issued duty weapon and it has runs fantastic! From what I have seen LWRC makes quality weapons! Good luck with your decision,
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#2]
LWRC, hands down.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Adams Arms P series.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
PWS has an interesting piston system, but it is truly one of a kind in the AR arena.  LWRC is a much larger company with a longer history of making short stroke piston rifles.  Both have good reputations for quality but I would go with LWRC every time over PWS.  I believe they have a more proven piston system, with excellent quality.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adams Arms P series.
View Quote
What are you smoking????

Adams Arms is trash x 1,000,000

I am going to go with PWS this time around...I've had 3 LWRCs before...great platform...reliable....
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Which Lwrc have you had ?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
M6A2
M6A3
IC-A5

Also had a LWRC DI
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Adams Arms P series.
View Quote
This is satire, yes?
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
No shooting experience with LWRC but I do have a new PWS MK114 Mod 2 and it is a great rifle.   Between 200 and 300 rounds down the barrel, all 556 XM193 ammo, with 75% of the rounds suppressed.

So far so good....only other piston rifle I can compare to are my LMT pistons, though different systems, short vs long stroke, the PWS in my short experience time is looking to be a real winner.

For those here whom have seen my post over the years now that I have extreme high regard for LMT rifles, IMO one of the finest rifles you can buy, neck and neck with KAC as far as I am concerned.

So if the PWS pans out like I think it should, will be a winner.

Now I have read nothing but good about LWRC and the only reason I have never purchased one and believe me I have gone out on three or four occasions to buy one at a gun store on the Mississippi gulf coast, but every one of them, all $2200 plus, rattled like a 1970 truck.  The upper to lower fit is some of the worst I have ever seen.  When the sales guy pulled one out and I showed him, even he said that needs to go back.  Every time I have looked at them, same situation....

That is the extent of my LWRC experience and my many rounds of LMT and 200 rounds of my PWS

Link Posted: 10/25/2019 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had several LWRC and PWS weapons over the years.  Everytime I buy an LWRC, I end up selling it shortly after.  I still have PWS rifles and pistols.  I really wanted to like LWRC, but I find them heavy and sloppy (as mentioned by 77Bronco).  Even the LWRC DI guns are heavy for what they are.  I much prefer PWS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Owned multiple of both PWS and LWRC...answer is easily LWRC.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Owned multiple of both PWS and LWRC...answer is easily LWRC.
View Quote
This, sold off all my PWS setups and kept a LWRC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have had several LWRC and PWS weapons over the years.  Everytime I buy an LWRC, I end up selling it shortly after.  I still have PWS rifles and pistols.  I really wanted to like LWRC, but I find them heavy and sloppy (as mentioned by 77Bronco).  Even the LWRC DI guns are heavy for what they are.  I much prefer PWS.
View Quote
Likewise. I have only owned a LWRC DI but have shot my friend's LWRC IC. The LWRC is heavier than the PWS and doesn't balance as nicely. I also much prefer the piston design of the PWS. The LWRC isn't bad and I enjoyed my DI when I owned it, but the PWS is a nicer gun and design in my opinion.

On another note; long stroke piston is better design than short stroke piston for AR platform in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like Oniak said, I really wanted to like them....

Also wanted to add,  and to be up front, but since I thought the OP was talking about 556 rifles, I did not mention.

Should have started my reply with "No shooting experience with 556 LWRC....."

I used a friends LWRC REPR rifle for a weekend when I was looking to get into 762 rifles.  The rifle was not bad, was printing about 1.5 MOA groups, I liked the side charging handle.   Ended up buying a LMT MWS and very pleased with it.

But the REPR was well put together...

Link Posted: 10/26/2019 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone with PWS ever shoot a Robinson XCR? I like my PWS a lot, feels like shooting any other DI AR. But the XCR seems very well thought out to.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone with PWS ever shoot a Robinson XCR? I like my PWS a lot, feels like shooting any other DI AR. But the XCR seems very well thought out to.
View Quote
Yes...the XCR is smoother...more linear...but in the AR piston world...PWS is top.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
LWRC uses an HBAR....adds weight.  That’s what all the fluting is about.
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
LWRC has my vote.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I too am on the fence between the two and this thread had made it clear that both are good, but I still have no guidance.

Thanks for the opinions!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Sig 516 14.5 + long flash hider/can mount I used a surefire warcomp to get the legal length. 40 bux  and 22 hours to pin & weld. Sig 14.5 500 bux.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I have researched, discussed, read, listened to all the pros and cons for both as well as a few others.

When the political winds here in VA blew the wrong direction I decided it was time.

I bought an LWRC A5. What a beautiful piece of hardware.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Congrats on your purchase.  A great rifle, no doubt.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have researched, discussed, read, listened to all the pros and cons for both as well as a few others.

When the political winds here in VA blew the wrong direction I decided it was time.

I bought an LWRC A5. What a beautiful piece of hardware.
View Quote
What barrel length did you opt for?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought the 16.1.

I wanted a shorter version, but the pinned flash hider and barrel length issues were a factor.

I will buy a pistol version sooner than later.

What a beautiful piece of engineering.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't have either, but I looking to try a PWS in the new future. It seems quite a few respected people in a industry are leaning over to PWS at the moment and there has been much coverage of LWRC of late.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exact same experience. I have one LWRC, like it, has been reliable. Every time I pick up one of my PWS’s I love the gun. Looking at one of their 308’s.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Exact same experience. I have one LWRC, like it, has been reliable. Every time I pick up one of my PWS’s I love the gun. Looking at one of their 308’s.
View Quote
More PWS rounds down the barrel and it is a real winner.

Took my wife shooting this weekend, she shoots with me maybe once every three years and let her shoot the PWS with a Deadair Sandman S and she was very pleased....as I am typing this, I asked her about the recoil and she said very little recoil

This long stroke piston is really feeling good.  Second, ten BC is still like new, no fouling

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I posted something similar in another thread, but looking at the PWS Mk111 Pro (the cheaper version, ~12").  Sounds like mixed reviews here for those that have had both.  What if I said I looked at the LWRC piston uppers and they are roughly 2X that of the PWS?  Would that change any minds?  It seems to get great reviews from what I can find in terms of function, accuracy, etc.  This is the only PWS vs. LWRC thread I've seen though.  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#30]
PWS needs to dump the stainless steel barrels.  They're light, but stainless loses to regular steel vs. heat, and heat is what kills barrels.  Stainless is ok for a bolt gun, not a semi-auto gun or heaven forbid, a full auto gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
PWS needs to dump the stainless steel barrels.  They're light, but stainless loses to regular steel vs. heat, and heat is what kills barrels.  Stainless is ok for a bolt gun, not a semi-auto gun or heaven forbid, a full auto gun.
View Quote
I don't have any problems with my 416R FNC treated barrels. Would it be nice if PWS used CHF CL FN barrels? Sure. The whole discussion regarding nitride (FNC) vs CL is an interesting one. They both have their pros and cons. But so far, I haven't had issues with my two PWS guns. Both shoot and run great.

Have you shot out your PWS barrel yet? I'm sure the barrel would be good for +15,000-20,000 rounds of semi auto fire. If you are using it on a select fire lower/doing continuous magazine dumps, then w CHF CL barrel upper would probably be a much better fit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
PWS SS barrels are just fine...they are nitrided as well...carry a lifetime warranty...nothing to worry about...they are made extremely well...
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

PWS SS barrels are just fine...they are nitrided as well...carry a lifetime warranty...nothing to worry about...they are made extremely well...
View Quote
No, not really.  There's a reason the military doesn't use stainless.  You can nitride treat regular steel too.  Stainless is less dense than regular steel.  Density = mass and more mass takes longer to heat up.  Not rocket science.  If PWS used chrome moly vanadium like everyone else I'd jump on their guns, but they don't.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No, not really.  There's a reason the military doesn't use stainless.  You can nitride treat regular steel too.  Stainless is less dense than regular steel.  Density = mass and more mass takes longer to heat up.  Not rocket science.  If PWS used chrome moly vanadium like everyone else I'd jump on their guns, but they don't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Everyone else" doesn't use chrome moly vanadium. Plenty of other AR manufacturers use 416R barrels.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"Everyone else" doesn't use chrome moly vanadium. Plenty of other AR manufacturers use 416R barrels.
View Quote
A technicality at best, but not an argument.  The overwhelming majority of AR manufacturers, including those selling to LEO and .mil, use chrome moly vanadium.  It's not like access to stainless steel, or even cost, prohibits its use.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't hate on LWRCi in general, but they've got about the worst design out there for mounting IR lasers or accessories that you need to hold zero without compromise.

Not necessarily something that will be of concern to everyone, but it certainly is to me and may be to others.

~Augee
View Quote
For the side rails or the top rail?  Mounting lasers on added rail sections is usually frowned upon no matter what rail style you choose.  Anything that comes off is prone to movement.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A technicality at best, but not an argument.  The overwhelming majority of AR manufacturers, including those selling to LEO and .mil, use chrome moly vanadium.  It's not like access to stainless steel, or even cost, prohibits its use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure exactly what you are arguing. If you prefer chrome moly vanadium over 416R that's one thing. Preferences are preferences. Nothing wrong with 416R. PWS isn't alone.

Noveske
Wilson Combat
Knights Armament

How many rounds was it before you shot out your PWS barrel?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not sure exactly what you are arguing. If you prefer chrome moly vanadium over 416R that's one thing. Preferences are preferences. Nothing wrong with 416R. PWS isn't alone.

Noveske
Wilson Combat
Knights Armament

View Quote
My argument is if stainless steel is so good, why doesn't everyone use it?  Why doesn't .mil use it?  Why break with convention purely for the sake of breaking with convention?  Sometimes the convention is right.  PWS doesn't need to go super duper special to be cool.  They'd be just as cool, if not cooler, if they just used regular steel barrels.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My argument is if stainless steel is so good, why doesn't everyone use it?  Why doesn't .mil use it?  Why break with convention purely for the sake of breaking with convention?  Sometimes the convention is right.  PWS doesn't need to go super duper special to be cool.  They'd be just as cool, if not cooler, if they just used regular steel barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noveske
Wilson Combat
Knights Armament

Again, how many rounds did you shoot before you burned out your PWS barrel? Why no reply to that?

There are reasons to go with 416R over 4150. Whether or not you care about those aspects is up to you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#42]
This is silly. SS vs chrome-lined barrels, there is a reason for each. It is well documented, non-chromed barrels are more accurate, due to the possible variances in chrome thickness when applied. The military uses chrome lined barrels due to barrel life = $$$. Also, the rifling in stainless barrels (and CM) do not handle full-auto or sustained fire situations as well as chrome lined barrels do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I got about 10K to 12K ( am not sure was not counting ) out of my LWRC barrel before it would not shoot 77Gr match kings with out key holing..  but still shot 55gr just fine..    It was all with Wolf gold 55gr..  about 20 % suppressed.    But I never had a malfunction in that time it took me to shoot the barrel out. Sent it off to LWRC about $500 bucks for a new barrel and back in business.  I dont think I EVER cleaned the copper out of the barrel to check for accuracy until i checked one day with a cqbss and 77 gr OTM lol   It was my red dot 100 yard shooting steal range toy. until it got a new barrel lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Kiran04, are you familiar with how the whole top of the hand guard is a separate piece from the rest of the hand guard on LWRC piston models.  I believe that is what Augee is referring to.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong, militaries do use stainless, especially ours, in their SPRs/DMRs like the Mk12 and Mk14 EBRs...

Get off the whole mil-spec soap box...a properly designed barrel is just fine...PWS has thousands upon thousands downrange with their barrel...they suggest a 15K-20K round barrel life (which is right there with many "milspec steel" CHF barrel spec including HK) but they have customers that have many many more rounds without keyholing....I believe their record is 55K through a barrel.

Now if you market a gun as a hardcore, go to battle rifle that passed "nato" testing but use a cheap 4140 steel just to get the cost down by $25 bucks...than I have an issue **cough cough** DT MDR...

There is a lot to barrel making outside of just material (do I prefer 41v50...yes)...for one, PWS turns their own barrels in-house so they have complete control over it vs many who outsource it and with PWS using their passion in regards to ridiculously accurate tolerances, their 416R barrels with proper heat treat, rifling/honing with one of the best meloniting in the business...you really have nothing to worry about in terms of life.

I've talked to PWS about their barrel design and their attention to detail is second to none and I have 0 issues recommending them.

But, be a ninja and get "milspec" all the time...it is good marketing.

I worry more about what goes behind the scenes than what the spec sheet says and what the marketing department tries to brainwash you with...
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Everything I've read about both indicate LWRC > PWS. My only experience with either is that I have put the LWRCi piston bolt carriers in my Colt AR15 rifle and Colt M16A1 rifle that I've converted with Sig P516 piston upper receivers. The quality of the LWRCi bolt carriers is clearly superior to the original Sig P516 bolt carriers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#47]
PWS are heavy clunky long stroke piston. Old fashioned design. Not needed.
LWRC is heavy too. VERY heavy Go To War gun. R U  going to war?

Build a Superlative Arms AR-15 from scratch using Aero Precision, Faxon barrel, Mission Tactical stock, CMC flat 3.5lb trigger on special for $115.00 and what ever else u like.
Spend less than HALF of LWRC. Get sweet 6.2lb 16" rifle that you can call your own. SA is much better piston system if u ever go suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
PWS are heavy clunky long stroke piston. Old fashioned design. Not needed.
LWRC is heavy too. VERY heavy Go To War gun. R U  going to war?

Build a Superlative Arms AR-15 from scratch using Aero Precision, Faxon barrel, Mission Tactical stock, CMC flat 3.5lb trigger on special for $115.00 and what ever else u like.
Spend less than HALF of LWRC. Get sweet 6.2lb 16" rifle that you can call your own. SA is much better piston system if u ever go suppressed.
View Quote

PWS is old fashioned?!? You need to have your brain checked.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Who wants an LWRC M6A2??? Upper only... send email or IM.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SgtStash:
Who wants an LWRC M6A2??? Upper only... send email or IM.
View Quote

Had one, yes it weighed a little more but was a great shooter. Keep it and run it like you stole it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top