Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 1:08:48 AM EDT
Planning on buying the above as a do-all shtf rifle. I've nothing but great things about these rifles-I handled one today and WOW it's light!

Any feedback from guys that have used them, please chime in! In the long run I'd like to have 2-3 of them-please let me know if I'm wasting my money!

Thanks!

Ps a couple of questions:

What's typical accuracy look like?
Chrome lined barrel?
Free floating?
Cold hammer forged?
Is the buffer tube mil-spec in size?
Could I put a LAW tactical folder on the rifle?

Why does my LGS sell a mk114 mod2 without the zev trigger? (Likely going to drop a geisele in it anyways).

Thanks again guys
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:07:17 AM EDT
[#1]
PWS MK114 MOD 2 UPPER CANNON PARTS $1,000.00PWS BLEM SALE $349.95 OFF UPPER
This item can have cosmetic blems such as machining marks, dents/dings or coating bubbles. None of these blems will impact functionality.

PWS new MOD2 Rifles now use a bolt carrier with standard size hole at the rear. No more keeping track of PWS specific extensions for the Law Tactical folder, as they are interchangeable now.

Primary Weapons Systems Mod 2 Rifles With Law Tactical Folders

2017 Catalog - Primary Weapons Systems Primary Weapons Systems

MK1 Mod2 in .223 Wylde, PWS part number 2M114RA1B / Tombstone Tactical

PWS MK114 MOD2 RIFLE 14.5" 223 WYLDE / Fortress Tactical

LAW AR FOLDING STOCK ADAPTER GEN 3-M PWS MOD2
The Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter works with direct impingement or gas piston systems and fits A2, carbine, mil-spec or commercial buffer tube and stocks. It can be used with standard bolt carrier groups including: full auto, semi auto, 5.56 to .308.

You said you wanted 2-3 PWS Rifles;  New Rebel Arms DI Rifle made by PWS/Bootleg. They also make the Agency Arms “CLASSIFIED” DI Rifle but your paying twice the price for the AA name.
REBEL ARMS RBR-15 MOD 3

Rebel Arms partnered with Primary Weapon Systems and their sister company, Bootleg Inc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's typical accuracy look like? - Decent out of my rifles <2 MOA. My Mk116 and Mk112 have shot groups less than 1MOA with handloads
Chrome lined barrel? - No, PWS uses melonited Lothar Walther barrels
Free floating? - Yes
Cold hammer forged? - No
Is the buffer tube mil-spec in size? - Yes
Could I put a LAW tactical folder on the rifle? - Yes

Why does my LGS sell a mk114 mod2 without the zev trigger? (Likely going to drop a geisele in it anyways). - No idea. I run Geissele triggers in all four of my PWS rifles (3x SBRs), never saw a reason to run anything else.

Thanks again guys
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Mod1 Mk116, but was originally looking to acquire a Mk114 (but PWS was OOS at the time).  I would buy a Mod2 in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a Mod1.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve ran a few PWS Mod1 guns, still have a Mk107.
My main rifle is a Mk114 Mod 2 with a pinned BCM flash hider/comp

One heck of a rifle with a Geissele SSA

As light as any DI gun I’ve eve4 owned, balance is great
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a MK114 Mod 1. It just as light as my stock 14.5 in DI. I also have a MK116 Mod 1 upper on a Bushmaster lower. They are both very accurate the Giessle SSA in it. Best part is I pretty much don't clean them anymore.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Forgot to address the Zev trigger question.

The PWS mod 2 was marketed prior to the Zev trigger being finished. PWS shipped the rifles without the Zev. A rifle should come with a “IOU card” from PWS. Register the information on the card and the trigger is shipped wnphen available. My Mod 2 came with a BCM trigger, I installed a SSA. The Zev arrived and I have it listed in the EE
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve owned a few PWS rifles in 223 and 308. MK118 Mod 1 is my go-to 223 gun. I prefer the mod 1 rifles over the mod 2 because they:
- don’t look like a race gun
- have a forward assist
- have a 5-position gas block instead of 3-position

Accuracy is around 1 MOA with Wolf gold. reliable with any mag or ammo type. I don’t clean the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there any good deals on MK114 Mod 2 ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there any good deals on MK114 Mod 2 ?
View Quote
Keep an eye on Dvor.  They has some good deals two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an MK114 Mod2. I haven't shot it yet. I sent it off to get cerakoted.

I highly recommend buying stuff from Fortress Tactical.

I bought the upper a lower separately and saved a bunch of money.

link to Fortress Tactical

You can get a blemished upper and a non blem lower for $1568.

I paid $1658 total for non blem upper and lower back in May.

Edit to add picture.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Edit to add picture.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351027/7D878268-AB2E-40B5-BB34-EA532D2D2CC4-339478.JPG
View Quote
That's a hell of a deal.  I've been looking to branch out from KAC for a bit, just b/c....PWS is number 1 in the running.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’ve owned a few PWS rifles in 223 and 308. MK118 Mod 1 is my go-to 223 gun. I prefer the mod 1 rifles over the mod 2 because they:
- don’t look like a race gun
- have a forward assist
- have a 5-position gas block instead of 3-position

Accuracy is around 1 MOA with Wolf gold. reliable with any mag or ammo type. I don’t clean the rifle.
View Quote
I call bullshit on this statement.  Yeah maybe it has but not with any consistency at all.  No way.  I love how people say thier AR is 1 MOA with crap ammo..GTFO

Wolf Gold, the new FGMM and less then 1/4 the price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I call bullshit on this statement.  Yeah maybe it has but not with any consistency at all.  No way.  I love how people say thier AR is 1 MOA with crap ammo..GTFO

Wolf Gold, the new FGMM and less then 1/4 the price.
View Quote
My Mk114 Mod 2 with a pinned, closed tine WarComp is grouping FGMM right at 1.25" rather consistently. I had some Asym 77gr that was just over an inch.
Thats with a 4x scope, shooting off a pack.

I can't agree with you because I have not ran any Wolf through mine yet, but I highly doubt it will shoot better than good ammo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
PWS MK114 MOD 2 UPPER CANNON PARTS $1,000.00PWS BLEM SALE $349.95 OFF UPPER
This item can have cosmetic blems such as machining marks, dents/dings or coating bubbles. None of these blems will impact functionality.

PWS new MOD2 Rifles now use a bolt carrier with standard size hole at the rear. No more keeping track of PWS specific extensions for the Law Tactical folder, as they are interchangeable now.

Primary Weapons Systems Mod 2 Rifles With Law Tactical Folders
http://ontargetmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/PWS-MK107-Main.jpg
http://ontargetmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/PWS-Controls-2C.jpg

2017 Catalog - Primary Weapons Systems Primary Weapons Systems

MK1 Mod2 in .223 Wylde, PWS part number 2M114RA1B / Tombstone Tactical

PWS MK114 MOD2 RIFLE 14.5" 223 WYLDE / Fortress Tactical

LAW AR FOLDING STOCK ADAPTER GEN 3-M PWS MOD2
The Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter works with direct impingement or gas piston systems and fits A2, carbine, mil-spec or commercial buffer tube and stocks. It can be used with standard bolt carrier groups including: full auto, semi auto, 5.56 to .308.

You said you wanted 2-3 PWS Rifles;  New Rebel Arms DI Rifle made by PWS/Bootleg. They also make the Agency Arms “CLASSIFIED” DI Rifle but your paying twice the price for the AA name.
REBEL ARMS RBR-15 MOD 3

Rebel Arms partnered with Primary Weapon Systems and their sister company, Bootleg Inc.
https://i1.wp.com/www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Rebel-Arms-RBR-15-Mod3-Rifle-1.jpg?w=1080
View Quote
Do the Rebel Arms rifles come with the 3 posit gas block? Don't see it on their spec sheet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do the Rebel Arms rifles come with the 3 posit gas block? Don't see it on their spec sheet.
View Quote
Just so you are aware, the Rebel Arms rifles are DI guns, NOT the same as the PWS piston guns. I was confused when I initially looked into Rebel Arms because I thought they were basically using a PWS upper - they're not. I reached out to Rebel Arms and their customer service/sales rep told me that they do not have any piston guns, all of them are DI.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Since this thread is back up, I plan on purchasing a Mk111 Mod 2-M pistol in .223 Wylde and a Mk109 Mod 2-M .300 BLK upper. I've got a Silencerco Omega on the way and can't think of a better platform to run it on than the new PWS .300 BLK upper.

https://www.primaryweapons.com/firearms/mk1-mod-2-m/

I'll most likely look into obtaining a Mk114 Mod 2-M rifle in .223 Wylde as well. These guns are sick!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just so you are aware, the Rebel Arms rifles are DI guns, NOT the same as the PWS piston guns. I was confused when I initially looked into Rebel Arms because I thought they were basically using a PWS upper - they're not. I reached out to Rebel Arms and their customer service/sales rep told me that they do not have any piston guns, all of them are DI.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for clearing that up.

ETA: That's disappointing as they look like nice piece of kit and I was thinking about getting my first piston.  I would think they'd cost than the PWS guns as a result, but they don't seem to.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Rebel and PWS seem to used the same forgings and rails......that’s about it.

As far as a piston gun, you can’t get much better than PWS, unless you double your budget. Even then, that Uber-reliable piston gun is a heavy weight pig.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks for clearing that up.

ETA: That's disappointing as they look like nice piece of kit and I was thinking about getting my first piston.  I would think they'd cost than the PWS guns as a result, but they don't seem to.
View Quote
Yeah man I was disappointed as well. Was planning to spec out a Rebel Arms build a few months ago, but found out they weren't piston guns. Still, they are sweet and I may get one in the future, especially since they are now incorporating MLOK rails into their builds and I've been told they will be with the mod 3 soon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rebel and PWS seem to used the same forgings and rails......that’s about it.

As far as a piston gun, you can’t get much better than PWS, unless you double your budget. Even then, that Uber-reliable piston gun is a heavy weight pig.
View Quote
What are you referring to? An LMT?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Probably a LWRC....
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rebel and PWS seem to used the same forgings and rails......that's about it.

As far as a piston gun, you can't get much better than PWS, unless you double your budget. Even then, that Uber-reliable piston gun is a heavy weight pig.
....HK416 / MR556...
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, the HK is a phenomenal rifle but it’s over two pounds heavier than the PWS Mod 2.

I wish it were lighter and more importantly better balanced
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I currently own an LWRC ICA5 and PWS MK114 Mod2.

Both are great and have their strengths/weaknesses.

But personally, the SCAR 16 is my go to.  No springs or connections or rods of any sort on the piston.  It’s just a big solid BCG that works like a champ.  On top, it’s a 1moa rifle especially with heavier loads.

Keep a spare bolt and firing pin and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yep, the HK is a phenomenal rifle but it’s over two pounds heavier than the PWS Mod 2.

I wish it were lighter and more importantly better balanced
View Quote
Got it. Wow 2 pounds? That's significant.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#26]
i like the new LWRC IC stuff. great accuracy but its a heavy pig. not sure i'd want to carry it much.

i planned on it being my mad max rifle too but the more i thought about it, the more i realized i doubt i'll shoot enough thru my DI rifle to worry about cleaning and if i make it that far, i think i can clean and lube the DI.

a chest rig load is 240 rounds, a well lubed DI can do 1000 and i carry lube. a DI can run filthy and wet so i just can't justify the extra weight.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Since this thread is back up, I plan on purchasing a Mk111 Mod 2-M pistol in .223 Wylde and a Mk109 Mod 2-M .300 BLK upper. I've got a Silencerco Omega on the way and can't think of a better platform to run it on than the new PWS .300 BLK upper.

I'll most likely look into obtaining a Mk114 Mod 2-M rifle in .223 Wylde as well. These guns are sick!
View Quote
I have an Mk111 mod 2 pistol.

You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Edit to add picture.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351027/7D878268-AB2E-40B5-BB34-EA532D2D2CC4-339478.JPG
View Quote
Fortress tactical is awsome to deal wth.  Mike answers emails within minutes even at 11pm.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I currently run my Omega on my Mk111 Mod2 300BO pistol. It runs great, and when shooting subs, it's stupid quiet. I'm looking for a JP Silent spring now, since that's the loudest part of the whole setup. I'll get some pics and post them if anyone is interested.

To add at least one comment for OP, that will be a great SHTF rifle, I love my PWS. The only argument I usually hear about is the proprietary parts. However, if something were to happen, the rifle would probably outlast most people in that situation.

Finally, anyone running a Mk2 series rifle find a good buttstock that locks up tight? I'll be getting my SBR stamp back soon (this year?) and would like to put something on besides the BCM that came with my Mk2 lower. My magpul CTR has a little wobble.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I currently run my Omega on my Mk111 Mod2 300BO pistol. It runs great, and when shooting subs, it's stupid quiet. I'm looking for a JP Silent spring now, since that's the loudest part of the whole setup. I'll get some pics and post them if anyone is interested.

To add at least one comment for OP, that will be a great SHTF rifle, I love my PWS. The only argument I usually hear about is the proprietary parts. However, if something were to happen, the rifle would probably outlast most people in that situation.

Finally, anyone running a Mk2 series rifle find a good buttstock that locks up tight? I'll be getting my SBR stamp back soon (this year?) and would like to put something on besides the BCM that came with my Mk2 lower. My magpul CTR has a little wobble.
View Quote
I use B5 stocks on all of my guns. I love them and have never experienced any real wobble.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Talk to PWS or JP first, the JP SCS might not work with the PWS carrier.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#32]
The Mod2 series has a larger hole in the carrier that works with the JP SCS. I asked PWS about this and about my wobbly magpul stock on their new buffer tubes, they said it should work just fine, so have other forum users. But only because it's the newer carrier. There's also a comment on JP's website not compatible with older PWS models.

I did say Mk2 series earlier (which would be their 7.62 series) and I meant Mod 2.

I'm still comparing the JP SCS to the Armaspec SRS for this setup.
I'm also comparing the B5 Sopmod to the VLTOR IMOD/EMOD. I don't care for the BCM that came with it.

Any input would be nice, especially since I got my SBR stamp back on Tuesday (~4.5 months).
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I run a LWRC compact stock body on mine, it’s a damn good fit on the new style PWS extension
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
My two CTRs rattle pretty bad, so i don’t use them with either of my PWS REs. I’ve had good luck with both the BCM and the Magpul SL, though. Good luck.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Bought my first PWS MK114 in spring of 2011. Still runs fine. I have had a few friends want one i sell it to them replace it etc. There are many people running PWS carbines because they shot mine and here is why.
They are basically the only piston AR15 that is as light and neutrally balanced as a DI gun.

I say it, my friends now say it, those who compare them say it.

If TSHTF I am pretty sure you will have trouble finding parts for almost anything.
Will you be doing a walk about in hostile areas to find a take down pin spring?
If you believe TEOTWAWKI is possible here is what you do:
Buy spare parts now for everything you own. Get a PWS BCG, and extra bolt, op rod extension etc etc as well as many typical AR spare small parts. You should anyway

I agree on Fortress Tactical. Bought a blem Mod2 MK116 upper and a Mod1 blem lower from Mike, smoking deal.
That is my SHTF rifle.
I prefer the Mod1 lower only because all my AR15s are configured the same way. I like them standardized
I still have the original Mod0 as I mentioned plus an FDE Mod0 unfired plus a Mod 1 Mk114 I run as my primary trainer and a few DIs

I can have whatever I want. I have PWS carbines because I believe they are the best carbine I can own.
Yes, there are many others that are fine weapons. But those are either poorly balanced or over weight so no thanks
I also have a pet peeve on magazines. I insist on ARs that can use any mag made.
If it will not take a Pmag, any variation or a L5 or a whatever I am not interested

Yes, I have DI AR15s. They sit. Who wants to shoot something you have to scrub when you can shoot, check, put away and not bother getting dirty all the time. Not me
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#36]
PWS MK114 would be my "go to war" or SHTF rifle, but I'd get the upper separately so you can pin your own muzzle device.  I've never been a fan of comps and brakes.  Good for competition and the range, but terrible at anything practical.  Extended A2 bird cage is where it's at.  Griffin even makes a silencer that locks onto A2 style flash hiders.  Other than that, the PWS MK114 is my favorite piston AR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I received my Omega a week or so ago. Ran it on my PWS Mk111 Mod 2-M .223 upper. At first, forgot to adjust the gas. Functioned fine, but the ejection was pretty erratic. Still locked back on an empty mag. Once I adjusted the gas to the suppressor setting it ran very well, ejected well, and the recoil went down significantly.

Also have the Omega set up to run on my PWS Mk109 Mod 2-M .300 Blackout upper. So far I have only tested supersonic rounds and it functions fine. The Mk109 .300 Blackout upper utilized a non-adjustable gas system. Trying to find a good deal on bulk .300 Blackout subs and then I will have some fun and see how quiet this thing is

I really like both of the uppers. Mine are sitting on a Rainier Arms pistol lower with an SBA3 brace and LAW Tactical folding adapter. The .223 has an Aimpoint T2 on top and the .300 Blackout has a Trijicon MRO. I should get some pics up because I am really happy with the way they turned out. I also run a Proctor QD sling - simple, cheap, "everything you need nothing you don't". I've got a Surefire Scout M600 DF that should be here today for the .223 upper. Need to figure out a light for the .300 Blackout upper. Both also have LWRC backup iron sights (big fan of these BUIS).

Long story short - I'm very happy with PWS so far.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I just bought a Mk114 Sage Dynamics rifle. Anyone know what kind of rifling is used?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#39]
1/8 twist.  No idea on the rifling type, but you can investigate for yourself with a flashlight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just bought a Mk114 Sage Dynamics rifle. Anyone know what kind of rifling is used?
View Quote
-416 R Stainless Steel, Button Rifled, 1:8, 5R
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#41]
It's the Mk 111, not the 114 that the post was asking about, but here's my new double stamp SHTF rifle. Still trying out different buttstocks for a nice tight fit that isn't the BCM, but that's a work in progress.

Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I changed mine up a little. It is a great rifle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm looking at one of these uppers in .300 Blackout, does anyone know if there are compatible MLOK Handguards than I could swap out on the upper? Not knocking the Keymod, but as it goes the way of the Dodo, I would like to be able to adapt it into the future! Thanks guys, love this thread it needs more pics! And if anyone of you have those pics of an M-LOK handguard on a PWS .300 BLK, would love to see a picture of it, and love the pictures posted in this thread, keep it up!

P.S. Would the Geissele HK416 Handguards be that viable option?I do know it mounts to the HK 416 Barrel Nut, but could it be done with the PWS?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm looking at one of these uppers in .300 Blackout, does anyone know if there are compatible MLOK Handguards than I could swap out on the upper? Not knocking the Keymod, but as it goes the way of the Dodo, I would like to be able to adapt it into the future! Thanks guys, love this thread it needs more pics! And if anyone of you have those pics of an M-LOK handguard on a PWS .300 BLK, would love to see a picture of it, and love the pictures posted in this thread, keep it up!
View Quote
The new 2018 PWS uppers and rifles have MLok instead of KeyMod. It's their half and half rail, so it's called PicLok instead of the old PicMod. If you get an older PWS rifle, they also sell just the replacement rails for the new MLok. I don't know of anyone that makes a compatible rail...MLok, KeyMod, Picatinny, or otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m going to purchase a MK116 mod 2 upper. Will I need to do anything other than attach it to the lower if I buy a complete lower with SBA3 brace?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’m going to purchase a MK116 mod 2 upper. Will I need to do anything other than attach it to the lower if I buy a complete lower with SBA3 brace?
View Quote
The Mk116 is 16" barrel so just run a regular stock on it.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top