Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2021 1:53:40 PM EDT
I want to get a piston upper, we were out fishing the other day and my buddy was raving about one he shot so I just want one just because

Am I going to notice much/any difference in the mid vs carbine piston/gas system?

Also curious, for a fun gun is there a reason I need a forward assist with a piston system anymore than with a DI upper (the Pro model has no FA)?
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a PWS MK111 Mod-2m. It's super smooth. So I would imagine the 14.5" may be slightly better but not by much. Perhaps not even discernable.

Either would be a good choice.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Forward assist isn't necessary, especially on a range only fun gun. I doubt Taiwan would have left it off their rifles if it was in fact needed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have their mk114 rifle mod 2 and mk111 mod 1 upper. You'll have to play around with the adjustable gas block for the type of ammo you're shooting. My 114 won't reliably shoot cheap 223 unless its on setting 1 (the GB is all the way open). My 111 will shoot the same ammo on setting 2. Both shoot like butter though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The gas systems on the mod 2s might be mid length on the 14.5.  I have a Mk111 Mod 2 and its the same piston gas length as my M116 Mod 1, the bolts are actually interchangeable.

FA some people see as needed, I haven't had issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd only buy a piston upper if you want to suppress it ... otherwise just stick with DI ... that being said I do like my PWS in 11.5" but I have no experience with any 14" piston guns to compare

ETA - I had a POF years ago that I sold cause it was an unreliable piece of shit, I also have an Adams Arms in 11.5" that I like shooting
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The only modern civilian use of a FA is quietly chambering a round. Hunters might do that in some situations, people being stealthy for some reason. Most people don't need to do it. Instead of slamming the bolt and making a loud noise you can slide it gently and use the FA to tap it home. If you're not going to do that you don't need it.

If you get an actual failure the last thing you want to do is hammer a stuck round further into the chamber. Better to extract it and clean it or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only modern civilian use of a FA is quietly chambering a round. Hunters might do that in some situations, people being stealthy for some reason. Most people don't need to do it. Instead of slamming the bolt and making a loud noise you can slide it gently and use the FA to tap it home. If you're not going to do that you don't need it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#8]

He’s correct, though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:03:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I still prefer the FA. I've used it to seat rounds and not casue additional issues in snow/ice. I had a PWS mod2, but I kept my PWS mod1 over it soley for the FA. I can see a benefit of having it, I can't see a benefit of not having it. That's just me though, and the mod2 is still perfectly reliable.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I still prefer the FA. I've used it to seat rounds and not casue additional issues in snow/ice. I had a PWS mod2, but I kept my PWS mod1 over it soley for the FA. I can see a benefit of having it, I can't see a benefit of not having it. That's just me though, and the mod2 is still perfectly reliable.
View Quote

You can use the indent in the bolt carrier group to accomplish the same thing.

I like the balance of the Mod 2 Pistols and every ounce saved counts.

I don't think PWS went wrong with not including the FA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never seen why people like ar pistols in 223 or 556  The longer barrel lengyhs give the round it needs to kill. At short range my 1911 or S&W model 19 would do the job easier.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never seen why people like ar pistols in 223 or 556  The longer barrel lengyhs give the round it needs to kill. At short range my 1911 or S&W model 19 would do the job easier.
View Quote

A bit off topic ^^

Let someone shoot you with 55gr ball out of a 10.3" barrel and get back to me.

Now load up some Hornady 75gr SBR HD interlock and you're gonna have a bad day. Guaranteed.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m losing between 125-150fps between a 18” and 12.5” barrel.

Do some math and get back to us.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He’s correct, though.
View Quote

agree to disagree I guess .... but I do agree that forward assists are unnecessary on modern AR style weapons, that is of course unless you are out ninja'ing
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I’m losing between 125-150fps between a 18” and 12.5” barrel.

Do some math and get back to us.
View Quote

Really?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Really?
View Quote

Yup.

Measuring between an 18” Criterion CORE and 12.5” Hodge.

Same batch of handloads. 77gr OTM, 70gr RDF and 64gr Fusion.  Chrono’ed on the same day, same conditions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Double
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup.

Measuring between an 18” Criterion CORE and 12.5” Hodge.

Same batch of handloads. 77gr OTM, 70gr RDF and 64gr Fusion.  Chrono’ed on the same day, same conditions.
View Quote

I believe you but that’s gotta be a fast barrel and a slow one.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top