Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2022 10:54:50 PM EDT
Really have an itch for a piston-driven AR and am heavily considering the PWS MK111 Mod-2.  I would plan to SBR it and shoot mostly suppressed.  It really looks like a sweet platform.  Originally was looking at the LWRC but I think the long stroke is more for me.

Just a couple questions.  1st, do you PWS guys get a lot of carbon build-up under the handguards from the progressive venting?  If so, how frequently do you have to disassemble to clean?  2nd, is the receiver extension on the pistols a standard PWS RE? It looks as though it is and that would be a plus for SBR'ing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont know about the second question but I run a SBR PWS with a OSS HELIX on it.
I love the gun, utterly reliable but it is heavy compared to my other AR's in similar size suppressed.
It does in fact get alot of carbon on my weak hand but I just clean it. its just part of the system.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a Mk116 mod-1 about 90% suppressed and will second that some carbon escapes. But it's being vented on top of the barrel and the rail. IMO it's not worth worrying about.

Regarding the RE question, yes I do believe PWS uses a different tube for their pistols that accepts braces only. IIRC they call it a modified enhanced tube.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a MK212 308. It is heavy but very reliable. Carbon isnt really anything to worry about. I cant answer number 2.

Their customer service is amazing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Their pistol lower that comes with the SBA3 brace has their regular enhanced buffer tube and ratcheting castle nut.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dont know about the second question but I run a SBR PWS with a OSS HELIX on it.
I love the gun, utterly reliable but it is heavy compared to my other AR's in similar size suppressed.
It does in fact get alot of carbon on my weak hand but I just clean it. its just part of the system.
View Quote

The PWS MK111 MOD 2-M isn’t that heavy compared to its competition. It weighs around 6 pounds even with a 11.85” barrel. Compare the weight of other 11.5-12” ARs. It isn’t heavy in comparison.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My MK114 is very reliable and soft shooting, suppressed is not an issue.....IMO, the PWS is designed to run suppressed....
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Why would carbon under the handguard be an issue?
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the PWS MK111 2-M upper on my SBR. I love it. No issues that I have noticed with carbon build up. I also do not remove the HG for cleaning, just a bore snake down the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Not specific to your questions, but I asked about it vs some of the other piston pistols I was considering and it seems to be the most recommended. Here's the thread.

I'll probably be getting one once I understand the differences between the lowers on the two skus. One has an ugly looking blade and the other has an SBA3. The SBA3 version seems to be about $300 more so I'm thinking it must be more than just a different brace.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been happy with mine.  No malfunctions of any kind to date.

I will say the fancier models are better than the PRO.  They are slightly lighter and will work with the geissele maritime bolt catch.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not specific to your questions, but I asked about it vs some of the other piston pistols I was considering and it seems to be the most recommended. Here's the thread.

I'll probably be getting one once I understand the differences between the lowers on the two skus. One has an ugly looking blade and the other has an SBA3. The SBA3 version seems to be about $300 more so I'm thinking it must be more than just a different brace.
View Quote

I read through that thread when I was making my decision.  I contacted PWS and was informed that the 18- SKU does have a different buffer tube.  The 20- SKU is a newer model which is why it costs more.  Retail is the same but I think the 18- is a 2018 model so they're trying to move them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
New here and not trying to hijack the thread but understand to search and find a relevant existing thread in lieu of starting new...

For all of the reasons above I think I'm going with the 11.85 MK111 but Pro instead of Mod 2.  Will also be suppressed.  Best online deal I've found out there is $750 tyd for the upper.  Has anyone seen a better deal?  

The Mod 2 looks great but maybe on the next one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]
i have the mk111 pro, i bought it specifically to shoot suppressed which i will do once my F4 clears. Overall the setup is nice, very high quality and no issues in the couple hundred rounds i have fired so far.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So I had the same itch and just bought the 111 Mod 2 in x39. Will run suppressed only. It is killing me waiting on it to get here.

I bought the Mod 2 because I've been sitting on a PWS lower for months that I got a crazy deal on and like my stuff to match.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Edited
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I had the same itch and just bought the 111 Mod 2 in x39. Will run suppressed only. It is killing me waiting on it to get here.

I bought the Mod 2 because I've been sitting on a PWS lower for months that I got a crazy deal on and like my stuff to match.
View Quote

Is the deal available to the public?
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#17]
bit of a hijack here but since the thread title matches what my question is about....

what is the ideal range for this one?  is it more for bldg clearing / home defense / close range?  buddy of mine said something suggesting that.  i was hoping for much more range out of it than that.  he's taking crazy pills, yes?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
bit of a hijack here but since the thread title matches what my question is about....

what is the ideal range for this one?  is it more for bldg clearing / home defense / close range?  buddy of mine said something suggesting that.  i was hoping for much more range out of it than that.  he's taking crazy pills, yes?
View Quote

yes more suited for CQB it has an 11.85" barrel
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I would say you can get out to 400 yards with a 11.5" barrel - you just might not be all that happy with the bullets ballistics/fps when you get there.  So if you're planning on hunting or want to inflict some serious damage on a bad guy at those ranges, you're going to want a longer barrel.  If you're just looking to shoot steel or discourage a bad guy from coming any closer, nothing wrong with a short barrel.

And of course your choice of optics is going to play a major role on what distances you can practically shoot.  Personally, I have a couple of short barreled uppers with red dots (and in one case a red dot with a 3x magnifier).  I shoot these offhand almost exclusively.  They are light, maneuverable and just fun to shoot.  But 90% of my shooting is 0-60 yards and the remaining 10% is to a max of about 150.  Given my current skill level that's about as far as I can hit a IPSC size steel target offhand with 80-90% hits.  If I'm shooting out to 5-600, or I want to shoot small groups at 100 I'm going to have a scope with a minimum of 10x on the high end (preferably more), a barrel that's at least 16" and probably a bipod.  

And if I want max. versatility, it's with a 14.5" barrel and a LPVO.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top