Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2018 1:10:08 PM EDT
What kind of groups has everybody been getting when shooting off
a bench, with good ammo and good glass?

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered  once or a hundred times before...

this one
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I got 3.5MOA using factory AMax 168s, looking through Leupold glass, from a lead sled. Even my basic handloads using 180gr Sierra Pro Hunters, which would do about 2MOA from my old Oracle, with a red dot, off a backpack, shot about 5MOA through this PSA.

I dont have the gun anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I was hoping for a little better than that.
Thanks for the info.

Whats your goto powder(s) for the AR-10?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I got great velocities and precision with Hodgdon LVR (for example, my 16" Oracle would do 175 SMKs at 2550 all day). But, I also used a lot of Ramshot TAC which was pretty efficient for the numbers it got. But, there are easily 20 "good" .308 powders that you will probably hear about. I generally choose ball powders for easy metering, which led me to TAC and LVR (but even within this category, there are several others that should work just fine).

*edit*

Hodgdon's Powder Burn Rate Chart:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/burn-rate-color.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiH_Oyko5zZAhVLxmMKHXFVDNIQFjABegQIEBAB&usg=AOvVaw26-EBVQtR1rQRtYkdbjgDm

I have found legitimate rifle-power load data with powders from 73 to 108 on that chart. The lower numbers will be more efficient with lighter bullets, and vice versa.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2 of them, both 18" guns. One has the SS medium light profile barrel, the other an FM CHF medium profile.

The SS barrel has shot slightly better, multiple 5 shot groups in the 1.5-2 inch range. The CHF barrel averages around 2 inch range.

I have not done any dedicated load development for either of these rifles. These groups were shot with my standard ball replacement load of either a 150 Horn FMJ-BT or 155 HPBT, over 41.8 gr H4895, a CCI-200 primer, and once fired LC cases. This is a moderate load which has proven to be easy on brass and has provided good accuracy in all of my 308's.

I have not seen as good of accuracy with heavier bullet weights in my 308 AR's. This is an anecdotal observation.

I tend to like powders like Varget, H4895, and IMR 8208 XBR in gas guns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow...thats a lot to read and digest, be right back  

Anybody else have any experience with this rifle?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What kind of groups has everybody been getting when shooting off
a bench, with good ammo and good glass?

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered  once or a hundred times before...

this one
View Quote
That's the same model I have. I put a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS LR on mine. It does ok on groups. It likes Fusion and Barnes TTSX ammo.

I pulled the fifth shot on this group.

The rifle/scope combo.

With Malaysian surplus ammo it'll do 2-3moa all day. With the more premium stuff it'll do better when I do my part. I used Fusion 150's this past deer season to harvest two deer with it. Bfoosh006 has done some remarkable work sorting out the PA10 and getting it to shoot well. In fact, the mods I did to my rifle were a direct result of his work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Some more decent groups from the PA10.

I have a bad habit of pulling one round out of five a lot. I don't know if it's me, the ammo, or the rifle. Invariably, one round out of five opens the group up for me a lot.

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Some shoot well, some don't. If price is the driving force behind looking at PSA, buy an upper and lower combo for $550 and shoot it to see how it does. If it shoots like crap, sell the old barrel for $100 and now you have a complete 308 minus the barrel for $450. I don't think you can do it cheaper than that by building your own, now just pick a trusted barrel manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Nice groups. Thats kinda what I was hoping to see. Seems like theres a bad apple in too many of my groups too.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some shoot well, some don't. If price is the driving force behind looking at PSA, buy an upper and lower combo for $550 and shoot it to see how it does. If it shoots like crap, sell the old barrel for $100 and now you have a complete 308 minus the barrel for $450. I don't think you can do it cheaper than that by building your own, now just pick a trusted barrel manufacturer.
View Quote
Good advice, thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The best mine could do was 1-1/2".

My father put his PA10 upper and lower together last week and was getting sub MOA out of it.  His rifle also isn't as overgassed as mine was. It ejects right at 3 oclock.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nice... hopefully PSA is drilling the gas ports a little smaller.
View Quote
Yea, the over gas issue was my biggest issue. Plus, the bolt timing was off. A couple of quarters fixed that, but an adjustable gas block was the best fix for the gas.

One question. Why doesn't PSA go with a rifle length gas system? Seems like it would shoot softer, and be less over gassed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top