Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2021 9:38:05 AM EDT
I’m working on a PSA upper trying to add a FF rail and I’m having difficulty removing the FSB.  The taper pins have been removed but the FSB isn’t sliding off.  I’ve tried a rubber mallet to the FSB but it won’t budge.  Has anyone had this issue before?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The pins are generally the hard part.

Have you tried rotating the FSB on the barrel back and forth (R to L to R to L) a few times to knock down the burrs?

A bit of oil helps as well.

ETA:  Yes, you might need to remove the gas tube, and if the rifle is well-used YES it can be a bitch without the proper punches.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Cook it.  Shooting will build up residue at the gas port/gas block junction which can act like glue.  If you can put it in a freezer for a couple hours before hand all the better.  The FSB should expand slightly before the barrel warms up when you hit it with the torch.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#3]
So far it’s had enough rounds through it for zeroing. I’ve tried to hammer with the rubber mallet left to right and right to left but the taper pin holes still are aligned. I’ll remove the gas tube and throw the upper in the freezer.  Thanks for the help, I’ll report back with findings.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Heat up the gas block with a propane torch, and try to avoid the barrel as much as possible, then spray WD40 or Kroil or similar penetrant right around the barrel interface, then give it a few good whacks with the dead blow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Heat and beat. It'll go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Ditch the rubber, have zero cares if it scratches and knock it lose with a hammer. If you want to play it safe, use a brass drift close to the base.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Heat and beat.

I generally dislike deadblows unless it’s something fragile that I don’t want a nick or scratch on.

A good 2-4lb brass hammer is a good beating iron without going full retard in the destruction department.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#8]
After some time in the freezer and a torch it came off pretty easily with the rubber mallet. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
For others. A block of wood and decent steel hammer blow from the rear should easily loosen the fsb.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Sometimes its just the burrs from drilling the taper pin holes holding shit up. Expanding the FSB with heat usually does the trick.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top