Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2022 2:13:26 PM EDT
Got the email today from Cherrybalmz that they lost a key supplier for a ingredient to their grease. As such, they are saying whatever stock they have currently will probably be the last of them for a while.

Just wanted to get the message out for folks who use Cherrybalmz. I used it up until recently and really loved it but now switching to froglube if you read by other post. I might order some myself just in case this froglube goes south again. So stock up if you really like them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Already a 5 page thread about this in GD.

Good luck with the veggie oil frog lube...
Like all veggie oils, it dries out, and turns to glue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Already a 5 page thread about this in GD.
View Quote

But it's GD, didn't click because they guy who made that thread is a known troll who loves to shit post and pot stir. Absolutely a no thank you from me.

So OP, even though I had already gotten the email about it from CB, I thank you for spreading the word. Oh, and FCD still has Snake Oil in stock, made for @Duffy's company by CB themselves.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Why in the world would you switch to FrogLube??  That’s just dumb.  

Mobil1 mafia here.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Reading is imperative....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
99% of the "gun" lubes could disappear and only thing that would happen is people saving money.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Frog Glue is the only lube that has ever caused me a problem.  I've used 30w motor oil, CLP, LSA, Slip 2000, Lucas, and Cherrybalmz without a problem.  I now use more 30w motor oil.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
99% of the "gun" lubes could disappear and only thing that would happen is people saving money.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. I must be a sucker for a good snake oil salesman cause it seems like I have tried nearly every miracle gun lube under the sun, but just last year I realized that none of them really do anything for me that cheap ol Breakfree CLP does, so I just went back to that.
Kind of feel a fool about it, but such is life.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#9]
What a shame, that you might just put $6/qt mobil1 in a squirt bottle and not worry about it any more.

Maybe use some silicone/teflon/mineral-oil type stuff if it stays well below 0*F.

Although I can say, despite my hatred for snake oils, the original CB recipe and rimfire remedy are pretty good stuff. They seem to work as advertised. Expensive though.

I still have about a gallon and a half of CLP on the shelf, and stock mobil1 for the trucks. I’ll be hard pressed to run out of gun lube. Maybe if someone gives me the keys to an army ASP…

If it’s good enough for your car/truck/boat/plane, it’ll work for your guns.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What a shame, that you might just put $6/qt mobil1 in a squirt bottle and not worry about it any more.

Maybe use some silicone/teflon/mineral-oil type stuff if it stays well below 0*F.

Although I can say, despite my hatred for snake oils, the original CB recipe and rimfire remedy are pretty good stuff. They seem to work as advertised. Expensive though.

I still have about a gallon and a half of CLP on the shelf, and stock mobil1 for the trucks. I’ll be hard pressed to run out of gun lube. Maybe if someone gives me the keys to an army ASP…

If it’s good enough for your car/truck/boat/plane, it’ll work for your guns.
View Quote

I've already got more CLP that will probably outlast me, so no thank your using car lubricants but you do you of course.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've already got more CLP that will probably outlast me, so no thank your using car lubricants but you do you of course.
View Quote

I’ve gotten to using CLP on a lot of stuff. Works well enough in place of wd40/PB taking off bolts, cleaning up parts, chasing threads, stuff like that. Eventually that squirt bottle will run out and I’ll switch back to whatever open thing of motor oil is on the shelf when I don’t feel like refilling the CLP. The squirt bottle works better than aerosol cans for many things. Even use it for light drilling

For some reason CLP eats squirt bottles. I get about a year out of them, before they just don’t work any more. Same brand has been pumping “bore cleaner, rifle”, lysol, and orange-glo for years.

Any leads on fresh gallon jugs?

ETA: what’s your issue with motor oil? Internal combustion engines have ridiculously higher demands for lubrication than any firearm I’m aware of. Between heat, pressure, shear load, service life, literally every metric. There’s almost no comparison between a gun and car engine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA: what’s your issue with motor oil? Internal combustion engines have ridiculously higher demands for lubrication than any firearm I’m aware of. Between heat, pressure, shear load, service life, literally every metric. There’s almost no comparison between a gun and car engine.
View Quote
Your solution is for me to buy motor oil that will just sit there unused and money wasted, while I continue to use the products I already have on hand that was already paid for. Plus it's an answer for a problem that I never had meaning there's no comparison to be made that justifies it any further.

What's your issue with people that don't need motor oil for things that aren't automotive related and why is this a problem for you to understand? Is this your livelihood at all at stake as a manufacturer, salesman, what? I just don't understand why you're making a big deal out of my statement that I have more than enough CLP who's quantities will more than likely outlast me, and that I didn't need to buy motor oil for something that obviously isn't a problem.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mobil1 mafia here.
View Quote

Mobil1, CLP and Hoppes Gun Grease for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Completely different systems...
Car engines are a closed system, the oil is pressure fed to much of the critical parts, and even parts that are not pressure fed, get a constant spray of filtered oil that has had a chance to cool in the sump.
Firearms don't have oil pumps, or filters, and are an open system. They require lube to stay in place, not freely drain back to a sump.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your solution is for me to buy motor oil that will just sit there unused and money wasted, while I continue to use the products I already have on hand that was already paid for. Plus it's an answer for a problem that I never had meaning there's no comparison to be made that justifies it any further.

What's your issue with people that don't need motor oil for things that aren't automotive related and why is this a problem for you to understand? Is this your livelihood at all at stake as a manufacturer, salesman, what? I just don't understand why you're making a big deal out of my statement that I have more than enough CLP who's quantities will more than likely outlast me, and that I didn't need to buy motor oil for something that obviously isn't a problem.

View Quote

Buddy, I don’t care if you decide to spray your guns with sea water. I’m here for an open discussion of facts and experiences.

Besides, you don’t buy it for your guns, you just use whatever your vehicle takes. I get it not everyone keeps multiple oil changes worth sitting around, but you’re telling me you don’t even have an open quart on the shelf? I find that odd, but whatever man.

It’s all a cost and physically effective suggestion for a replacement to an overpriced (largely snake oil) boutique lube.

Cherrybalmz $8/shotglass. Primo synthetic oil <$7/qt. The math is there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Buddy, I don’t care if you decide to spray your guns with sea water. I’m here for an open discussion of facts and experiences.

Cherrybalmz $8/shotglass. Primo synthetic oil <$7/qt. The math is there.
View Quote
The math is also there for what's owned and what you're telling me to buy instead on top of what's already in existence on my shelves. That math is there and overrules your common core whatever that is substitute.

Now I don't know you from me, but telling me you don't care but also telling me what you find as odd and then doing the junk math, tells me that you do indeed care as you're trying to sell me something. That's not considered a two way discussion my friend. Me telling you prior to that I am set with CLP and would have no need to buy motor oil, that's an actual conversation was a statement worthy of being told fair enough in return and letting it be. Not you.

Anyway, my only sample of CB was free. And it actually works, meaning it's probably a boutique but also a far cry from being snake oil.

Are we good now? No more trying to debate why I should have something that I don't need? Can you live with this even or even comment back with a fair enough and without trying to sell me again on the idea of motor oil when I don't need any?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The math is also there for what's owned and what you're telling me to buy instead on top of what's already in existence on my shelves. That math is there and overrules your common core whatever that is substitute.

Now I don't know you from me, but telling me you don't care but also telling me what you find as odd and then doing the junk math, tells me that you do indeed care as you're trying to sell me something. That's not considered a two way discussion my friend. Me telling you prior to that I am set with CLP and would have no need to buy motor oil, that's an actual conversation was a statement worthy of being told fair enough in return and letting it be. Not you.

Anyway, my only sample of CB was free. And it actually works, meaning it's probably a boutique but also a far cry from being snake oil.

Are we good now? No more trying to debate why I should have something that I don't need? Can you live with this even or even comment back with a fair enough and without trying to sell me again on the idea of motor oil when I don't need any?
View Quote

Ah, this could’ve been so much more fun in GD. I’d probably have just posted some links to buy motor oil The core concept here is that everyone has it already, so just use that instead of buying something.

If you haven’t noticed, I’m paralleling you with my gratuitous use of CLP, since I too have lots of it. Maybe someone else who is tired of overpriced whizbang gun lube will read this and just use the oil their shelf, saving time and money.

Take it easy buddy. It’s just oil for a gun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#18]
That's a shame, cherrybalmz is absolutely better than motor oil, in my experience.  Is it 10x more expensive better?  Well, that something everybody has to decide for themselves... except for the .22 lube, that stuff is absolutely worth whatever they want to charge for it.  I had a .22 conversion at an Appleseed that wouldn't run for shit, and the rimfire goo got it cycling reliably; stuff is probably made with unicorn shit and fairy snot.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ah, this could’ve been so much more fun in GD. I’d probably have just posted some links to buy motor oil The core concept here is that everyone has it already, so just use that instead of buying something.

If you haven’t noticed, I’m paralleling you with my gratuitous use of CLP, since I too have lots of it. Maybe someone else who is tired of overpriced whizbang gun lube will read this and just use the oil their shelf, saving time and money.

Take it easy buddy. It’s just oil for a gun.
View Quote
So you're admitting to troll, in tech.

I'm not your buddy and I don't like being trolled either so you got exactly what you dished out so calm down and take what you gave in return.

And you're right, it's just oil, buy as much of it as you desire. I still don't need any and won't be buying any for something that it's not needed for, due to the vast quantities of CLP that's already on hand that was payed for. Your solution is for a problem that I never had to begin with, which is the major malfunction for you to grasp.

But I digress, you admitted to trolling and there's an ignore feature on this site to use. And I really don't like trolls.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's a shame, cherrybalmz is absolutely better than motor oil, in my experience.  Is it 10x more expensive better?  Well, that something everybody has to decide for themselves... except for the .22 lube, that stuff is absolutely worth whatever they want to charge for it.  I had a .22 conversion at an Appleseed that wouldn't run for shit, and the rimfire goo got it cycling reliably; stuff is probably made with unicorn shit and fairy snot.

View Quote
Last night I had to take out two BCG's from different guns and do things to those guns like part swaps. Absolutely zero run off and still lubed, couldn't ever say the same happened with oil of any type.

CB is great stuff. And you don't need even much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Last night I had to take out two BCG's from different guns and do things to those guns like part swaps. Absolutely zero run off and still lubed, couldn't ever say the same happened with oil of any type.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely works good on the rimfires. How much better, I’m not entirely sure. It did turn green on me and separate a bit after like 6 months and about a brick and a half. Still slick and gun still worked. I guilt cleaned it. The “miracle” is that it doesn’t gum up. Blowback pistol with a silencer, dirty as can be.

Original recipe isn’t anywhere near as attractive to me. Just can’t figure what it really does so much better than a squirt of CLP into an AR. Yeah it doesn’t run off or anything, but that still hasn’t been an issue for me even with a rifle sitting muzzle up in the safe for a year. It does not seem to handle suppressor fouling anywhere near as well as the rimfire remedy.

Do you still wipe down with CLP or whatever cheap product? That’s my huge gripe with CB. At the cost and consistency of it, I still have to reach for the CLP for rust prevention.

I couldn’t help myself but to keep going on you arizonarifleman, you just completely misunderstood my angle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#22]
The absolute best for Rimfires is Hornady One Shot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I use Redline synthetic engine assembly lube. If it's good enough to go into $60,000 race engines on initial startup it's got to be some good stuff and it is loaded with moly and stays were you put it and has very good heat properties.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Imagine having this same argument in person....man I love the internet!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone put in an order once this was posted? I ordered 10+ bottles about a month ago and have heard nothing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone put in an order once this was posted? I ordered 10+ bottles about a month ago and have heard nothing.
View Quote

My order arrived yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I ordered 6 right after I saw the thread.  My stuff arrived the following week.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered on 5/2 and haven't heard or seen anything since the order confirmation email right after I submitted the order.

Emailed shipping@ on 5/22 and outreach@ on 5/25 to check status. Guess I'll wait and see what happens

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Silly people and their snake oil gun lubes...

I'll keep using the same bottle of full synthetic Dextron 3 ATF that I have been for the last 20+ years.  It has extreme pressure additives, doesn't stop actions from moving in bitter cold and cleans up easily with solvent.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mobil1 mafia here.
View Quote
Mobil 1 and Magnalube-G.  Frogs belong in the frying pan. Cherries make for a good date.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Silly people and their snake oil gun lubes...

I'll keep using the same bottle of full synthetic Dextron 3 ATF that I have been for the last 20+ years.  It has extreme pressure additives, doesn't stop actions from moving in bitter cold and cleans up easily with solvent.
View Quote

And I bet you get a lot of practice cleaning, since that shit never sticks in one place very long...
Do you use oil dry in your gun vault?
Before the cherry pie stuff, I had been using Magnalube-G, and still do. Like the cherry pie, but I've never bought any of it.
Got a free bottle of Black Rifle from them, and another free bottle came with my Macon Armory upper.
But I really dislike the little brush bull shit applicator.

I put my Magnalube-G into a 5cc syringe. A lot easier to put it where it needs to go.

Recently picked up a 14oz tube of NLGI-0 Super Lube, then mixed a heaping tablespoon of super fine Teflon powder into it.
Will be probably trying that in a week or so.
That much Teflon thickened it up quite a bit, something like the Magnalube-G, which is an NLGI-2.
May try some thinner Super Lube, as they also have NLGI-00, and -000.

Now, what scent should I go with?
Banana, like Tri-Flow, cherry like Cherry Balmz, or maybe some other fruity smell?
Or, if it can be found in a bottle, pussy !
Second though, maybe not, I'd be licking the ejection port all the time
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top