Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2022 12:12:26 PM EDT
This is my first 9mm AR and I was wondering if I would benefit from a spacer or a longer buffer? The carrier seems to go much further back than it needs to.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This is my first 9mm AR and I was wondering if I would benefit from a spacer or a longer buffer? The carrier seems to go much further back than it needs to.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54239/231EA9E8-6B6E-4C8B-9228-95E07D24157C_jpe-2339732.JPG
View Quote

How far back does it go?  Have you measured the buffer that is in the gun?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It goes back as far as it would on a 556 rifle since the buffer is the same length. The buffer is heavy but not any longer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It goes back as far as it would on a 556 rifle since the buffer is the same length. The buffer is heavy but not any longer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54239/228E2AC7-9ABC-4535-AB81-BFB8CE4871CD_jpe-2341619.JPG
View Quote

Do you have a picture of the bolt in the gun and how far it is behind the bolt stop?  A picture of the buffer doesn't tell us anything.  You typically want a 9mm buffer to be about 3/4" longer than a standard buffer because the bolt is shorter than a centerfire or RDB bolt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you have a picture of the bolt in the gun and how far it is behind the bolt stop?  A picture of the buffer doesn't tell us anything.  You typically want a 9mm buffer to be about 3/4" longer than a standard buffer because the bolt is shorter than a centerfire or RDB bolt.
View Quote

I’ll get one. It goes back a pretty decent amount past the bolt stop.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’ll get one. It goes back a pretty decent amount past the bolt stop.
View Quote

You might even need to shim behind the 4" buffer to get it where you want it.  I had to add 1/4" behind the buffer spring, even with the longer buffer.  What does the bolt and buffer weigh, together?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Sitting on the bolt stop
Attachment Attached File

Charging handle the rest of the way back
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
BCG is 13.5oz and the buffer is 5.5oz. It appears a lot of people recommend 21-23oz so it may be a little light. I’m going to try it as is and see how it feels. I went ahead and ordered a cheap plastic spacer to see if that affects reliability before I get a different buffer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BCG is 13.5oz and the buffer is 5.5oz. It appears a lot of people recommend 21-23oz so it may be a little light. I’m going to try it as is and see how it feels. I went ahead and ordered a cheap plastic spacer to see if that affects reliability before I get a different buffer.
View Quote

I ended up getting an extended 8oz buffer and used a spacer and what a difference it made.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top