Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2022 6:21:54 PM EDT
I just ordered this from PSA for $34. The Schmid trigger is out of stock at Brownells and that is my go to trigger. I also have an ALG ACT trigger and a Timney. I use JP Enterprises 3.5# springs in single stage triggers. I'm looking forward to comparing the PSA trigger with my other 2 single stage triggers.

PSA Trigger Group
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Gets good reviews, think I will try one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a decent trigger.  Smooth, but has the typical pre-travel (creep) of a mil-spec.  I remove much of that with a 3/8" set screw in the grip bolt hole and with a 45 degree bend in the hammer spring it gets pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the EPT's are ok, but they don't even come close to my ACT triggers. I probably had a about 4 EPT's from PSA and two of those where horrible. Very gritty and had several burrs or some bad machining. Maybe I just got some bad ones. The other 2 triggers weren't bad, slightly better than a plain milspec trigger group.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I may order this trigger later. $49.95 plus $10 shipping. Nickle-Teflon plated. I think this is made by Schmid (stamped "S" on the trigger).

Right To Bear
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are photos of the PSA hammer and trigger. It looks like some tool marks in the hammer face. I'll test the trigger pull after I install it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like some tool marks in the hammer face.

https://i.imgur.com/w00Bi2m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8VUgcUs.jpg
View Quote

Not uncommon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Have any of you used one of the Sionics mil-spec triggers.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think the EPT's are ok, but they don't even come close to my ACT triggers. I probably had a about 4 EPT's from PSA and two of those where horrible. Very gritty and had several burrs or some bad machining. Maybe I just got some bad ones. The other 2 triggers weren't bad, slightly better than a plain milspec trigger group.
View Quote

Sample size of one here. Apparently I got a good one, but yeah. Pretty much my experience.  It's fine, but not amazingly better than the triggers I've got out of decent LPKs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/UoWPGfV.jpg
View Quote

That's the same Schmid trigger that everyone is selling. Buy from whoever is least expensive.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here are photos of the PSA hammer and trigger. It looks like some tool marks in the hammer face. I'll test the trigger pull after I install it.

View Quote

But what does the hammer notch look like?  That is what really matters.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's the same Schmid trigger that everyone is selling. Buy from whoever is least expensive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not all the same. Not in coatings, finish, nor function.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a few and have installed a few in friend’s ars.

They’re very good to go.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I think it’s fair to say that it’s a good single stage trigger. It’s hard to beat at that price point. As someone that regularly uses a geissele 3 gun and the SSA and SSA E, it doesn’t beat them but it’s better than any single stage you pull out of a government armory. Mine works well and I’d recommend it for a first AR build to new shooters.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Believe what you want, but I've had several different brands(companies) of the Nickel/Teflon, single-stage sets, and there wasn't a nickel's worth of difference in any of them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Believe what you want, but I've had several different brands(companies) of the Nickel/Teflon, single-stage sets, and there wasn't a nickel's worth of difference in any of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own. As long as the end user is satisfied with the results all is good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

We had some discussions about recent iterations showing up with MIM components as well, right?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We had some discussions about recent iterations showing up with MIM components as well, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFAIK, all of the Schmid are investment cast.

Coatings/springs/surface finishes are the areas that distinguish some from others.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can determine metalurgy with your eyeball?  Impressive!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:You can determine metalurgy with your eyeball?  Impressive!
View Quote

Now, what does metallurgy have to do with this discussion. All the Schmid triggers are cast from 8620, machined and plated. Some sources state their version is plated with Nickel/Boron, but most say Nickel/Teflon. Some may specify a better micron finish on the machined faces, but I have my doubts. Bottom line, you guys believe whoever's hype you wish. It's your money and ain't affecting my ARs or my wallet, at all.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The two sets I saw a few months ago from Midway USA came with obviously non-Schmid Tool marked MIM disconnectors.  Hoping that's just a Midway USA issue/thing, not some new change across the board from Schmid Tool.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The two sets I saw a few months ago from Midway USA came with obviously non-Schmid Tool marked MIM disconnectors.  Hoping that's just a Midway USA issue/thing, not some new change across the board from Schmid Tool.
View Quote

I went back to that thread we were discussing this in last month, and the poster thought his was Schmid, but was incorrect, this was my mistake.

What we have learned though, is to check each kit when they arrive.  

I am going to order a couple of Sionics kits today, I still trust what is going into those.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

AFAIK, all of the Schmid are investment cast.

Coatings/springs/surface finishes are the areas that distinguish some from others.
View Quote

My mistake, I went back and re-read that thread.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Great deal on ACT HERE, for those interested.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I may order this trigger later. $49.95 plus $10 shipping. Nickle-Teflon plated. I think this is made by Schmid (stamped "S" on the trigger).

Right To Bear
View Quote

I'd recommend these to anyone looking for an excellent quality, simple mil spec trigger.  RTB's been putting these out for quite a while now.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had 3-4 EPTs that were included in purchased lowers which happened to have been on sale or were some other package deal (mags, ammo, etc). Perhaps a bit better than some "mil-spec" assemblies. No way would I pay retail for them. Normally, I'm very supportive of PSA, however, the EPT does nothing for me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've had 3-4 EPTs that were included in purchased lowers which happened to have been on sale or were some other package deal (mags, ammo, etc). Perhaps a bit better than some "mil-spec" assemblies. No way would I pay retail for them. Normally, I'm very supportive of PSA, however, the EPT does nothing for me.
View Quote

You're just lucky to have never had a bad "mil-spec" trigger. Some are atrocious. EPTs are not supposed to be the equivalent of a $250 Geissele, but they are usually much better than an un-plated g.i. setup.

I've found that an EPT assembly(any vendor), augmented with a set of JP or Kaw Valley springs, and lubed with a moly grease, is usually quite good. A lot of how good this seems to be is determined by how the rifle is being used. Buy the correct trigger for the intended use of your equipment.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Perhaps a bit better than some "mil-spec" assemblies.

>the EPT does nothing for me.
View Quote

After my sample size of 2, I agree.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You're just lucky to have never had a bad "mil-spec" trigger. Some are atrocious. EPTs are not supposed to be the equivalent of a $250 Geissele, but they are usually much better than an un-plated g.i. setup.

I've found that an EPT assembly(any vendor), augmented with a set of JP or Kaw Valley springs, and lubed with a moly grease, is usually quite good. A lot of how good this seems to be is determined by how the rifle is being used. Buy the correct trigger for the intended use of your equipment.
View Quote

Oh, I have one absolutely piece of junk one. Of all my guns, it's my damn Colt. I believe if I pulled it from my parts drawer and tossed it on the ground, my pup would piss on the sob.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 1:34:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought one when they first came out as I was doing a build at the time. I liked it well enough that it has become my basic go to FCG for every build since. I also recommend it to friends and family that are either wanting to build something or want to "upgrade" but still stay within what they know. Springs can be swapped to dial it in for a certain person or use.

If you are accustomed to the creep of the standard GI trigger and have trained around it, then this is a familiar trigger that just feels nicer. It's well made and the price is solid. For what it is (a single stage GI trigger), I haven't found anything better.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven't tried all the aftermarket ones, but the Spikes Battle trigger (around $50-60) has all smooth surfaces and has the shinny version of Nickel Boron (like what is on Fail Zero parts).  With all of these you are near half way to some aftermarket triggers,
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome thank you
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I got a similar looking boxed S marked hammer with a rough face from a different vendor. Mine felt like a nail file when you ran your nail across it. Mine looked a lot rougher than the 125 finish the print mentions. The coated/plated hammers I received in the past from Brownell's with the S marks have a good finish on the face. Might order a couple from them to see if they are still the same.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're just lucky to have never had a bad "mil-spec" trigger. Some are atrocious. EPTs are not supposed to be the equivalent of a $250 Geissele, but they are usually much better than an un-plated g.i. setup...
View Quote

This.  I have an older Bushmaster that weighs 8 - 8.5 lbs.  If I was gentle, I could hold it (unloaded of course ) by the trigger without it dropping the hammer.  I could also barely press the trigger and have it stay partially depressed it was so gritty.

I replaced it last year with an ALG ACT.  For what it is supposed to be, a good mil-spec trigger; I am very happy with it.  

I recently replaced the Anderson stainless steel trigger hammer and trigger with the PSA EPT when they were $36 shipped last month.  It feels equivalent to the ACT.  I would be hard pressed to buy another ACT when I can have the EPT for half the price.  I would buy another.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I am glad to see this thread.  I have been using PSA lower kits for years now.  My last two kits have been the EPT kits, and they are great.  I would compare the hammer and trigger to my Spikes items, just lower cost.  I picked up several Colt kits in the past and those (of course) needed some polishing before install.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#35]
So did the OP every buy it and come back to report, or just leave us wondering...?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I have this trigger in an AR22 paired with some reduced power trigger spring to lighten the trigger pull. Overall it isn't bad at all, better than a standard mil-spec trigger.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]
The two EPT triggers I have are maybe slightly better than an average Mil spec.

I wouldn’t pay for one if it didn’t come in the lower. Then again, I also feel that way about the ALG triggers.

The Schmid two stage on the other hand is impressive for the cost. But not as impressive as an MBT which is only a little more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I have had the ALG act and the PSA ept. I purchased a lower parts kit from unbrandedAR with one of their "ELG" triggers and it really surprised me. Its a great feeling mill spec trigger that is a  smooth consistent pull without grittiness or any false walls. For people looking for a great deal on a standard milspec trigger I cant really recommend it enough.

ELG trigger for $20
Lower parts kit with the ELG for only $29
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I recently got one of these triggers in a PSA pistol and it looked just like that. I could fell the tool marks with my fingernail. However a couple minutes with some super high grit sandpaper (2000 I think) and a tiny bit of lube, while I can still see the remnants, it's smooth and slick to the touch. I didn't want to take off anymore than I had to.

This trigger is way smoother than the one that came in my M&P Sport II though after some polishing it was pretty good too. For a Mil-Spec trigger anyway.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#40]
It's amazing what a little bit of polishing and the addition of a Kaw Valley spring kit can do for a standard g.i. trigger or even one of the Nickel/Teflon versions. Pretty cheap mod considering the results. Here are a few sources to choose from, should you want to try a kit.

https://ar15discounts.com/products/kaw-valley-precision-ar-15-trigger-reduced-power-spring-kit/

https://www.righttobear.com/kaw-valley-17-4-ss-ar-15-reduced-power-trigger-spr-kvp-rptk/

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-AR-15-Reduced-Power-Trigger-S-p/kvp-rptk.htm

https://ar15triggeradjusters.com/products/ols/products/kvp-spring-kit

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top