Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2021 8:49:38 AM EDT
I have 2 PSA Glock lowers, 2 PSA Colt lowers, and 3 PSA 9mm uppers with the newest hybrid bolt.  All are current production within the last year.

Only one of the 3 bolts will clear the top of the Colt feed ramps.  The other 2 bind so badly that I can't even pull the charging handle back.  I can see the machining is extremely sloppy on the one that works with the Colt lowers - it has goughes on the "ramp" part that rides along the hammer, and the slots on either side are wider (and a slightly different profile) than the other two 9mm bolts.

I've attempted to sand down the top of the feed ramps on one of the Colt lowers to eliminate the binding, but I haven't been able to get it to work as it needs more than a few thousandths to clear.

On top of all that, the LRBHO tab sticks out too far by about 1mm, causing the top round in the mag to twist out upon insertion of the mag.  This happens only when the top round is on the left-hand side.  This problem is even more pronounced with the ASC mags, which have much shorter feed lips.

On the Glock setups, none can feed hollow points.  The bullet nose hangs up on the bottom of the chamber entrance with 100% failure rate.

Basically, none of my PSA AR9's function properly.  I'm afraid to send it all back to PSA for service because I'm afraid it'll never come back to me.  

Is there a bolt I can buy that will work with the Colt 9mm feed ramps?  And what about the Glock setup - is it save to remove some material from the bottom of the chamber to allow for hollow points?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you talked to PSA?

@Josiah

Macon Armory can fix the feed cone of your Glock barrel

@Mad-Machinist
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I stopped reading at PSA.

Did you pay extra for the purplish-tint anodizing, or did that come free of charge?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
PSA now has their own forum.  I got a reply from the owner there and they're going to take care of it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Had that issue (bad enough you couldn't even close the upper down on the lower with the bolt in the upper) on two 9MM ARs.

One has a 9MM dedicated lower from Spikes Tactical and the other was a PSA 9MM Colt style lower.  Both were with PSA bolts.

A dremel to remove metal from the center of the steel pin/bar that runs between the side of the lower and then some polishing with the dremel fixed both of them..  Hollow points?  No problem with 115 grain PD or Everglades hollow points.  No difference in function between 115 grain FMJ and 115 grain hollow points.

Not a very good picture.  But you can see the center part that had metal removed and polished.  I just removed a little, tried it, removed a little more if it still wouldn't close or I could feel it rubbing the bottom of the bolt.  It's deeper in the middle than the edges and pretty highly polished.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had that issue (bad enough you couldn't even close the upper down on the lower with the bolt in the upper) on two 9MM ARs.

One has a 9MM dedicated lower from Spikes Tactical and the other was a PSA 9MM Colt style lower.  Both were with PSA bolts.

A dremel to remove metal from the center of the steel pin/bar that runs between the side of the lower and then some polishing with the dremel fixed both of them..  Hollow points?  No problem with 115 grain PD or Everglades hollow points.  No difference in function between 115 grain FMJ and 115 grain hollow points.

Not a very good picture.  But you can see the center part that had metal removed and polished.  I just removed a little, tried it, removed a little more if it still wouldn't close or I could feel it rubbing the bottom of the bolt.  It's deeper in the middle than the edges and pretty highly polished.

https://i.imgur.com/mC0cR5S.jpg
View Quote

Thanks.... I wish that picture would have focused properly!  From what I can tell, it looks like you removed metal from the middle of the feed ramp.  I had assumed that mine was binding on those two "ears" at the top of the feed ramp, where the bolt has those two corresponding grooves cut into the underside.

But anyway, I've been in contact with PSA and will send my stuff back for a look.  What they find may help them make some slight changes to future production and improve reliability in the design.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same issue with a 8" 9mm upper from PSA with a "Hybrid Bolt" in it. I borrowed a friends genuine Colt BCG for it and it cycled without issue and I put about a 100 rounds at the range with it. The BCG is the culprit. I sent it back to PSA and they wanted me to send them my PSA Colt style lower so they could file the feed ramp to stop the binding upon assembly and allow it to feed correctly. The problem is the BCG. I've used a Genuine Colt 9mm upper with the PSA lower and I used the BCG from the Colt in the PSA upper and both worked without issues. I think the geometry of the hybrid bolt is a bit off by a little and it makes the BCG bind with the feed ramps and other parts. I do think they intended for the lower to fit as tight as possible when they designed it. It is a tight fit even with the Colt BCG in the upper but it runs great. I got my own BCG and all functions fine now
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top