Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2018 10:12:17 PM EDT
Do you have any data you can provide on point-of-impact shift with different ammo types?  For instance if you switch from Wolf Gold to XM193 does your group go down an inch at 50 yards?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Every barrel is different. I suggest that when you buy a case, you use a box to verify and record zero for future reference.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, every gun is different down to the barrel, hardguard, how much ft lbs the muzzle device is torqued, ect.. Better to just shoot and see. If anything generally lighter grain bullets with faster velocities shoot higher POI rather than lets say a 75gr 223 load.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
i have 2 or 3 barrels that have nearly the same POI at 50 yds for various bullets/ammo but at 100 yds they start to change noticeably in windage more so than elevation.

the other 5 or so barrels i have shot to test this have all been very different POI's at 50yds.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta shoot it.

My AR10 A4 20 had two extremely accurate handloads.

Both 1moa for 5 shots with a non freefloated handguard.

Zero for through the crosshairs with my 165grn H322 load and the other accurate load would print it's group 2 inches low and 3 inches left.

Very consistent and predictable result.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an 11.5" Noveske SS barrel that shoots BH 77TMK a consistent 1/2" lower than 62MSR @50yds. The gap widens to just over 1.5" @ 100yds. The same barrel dumps Federal M193 to the left about 1" and slightly higher than the bull @ 50yds.

Haven't tested the rounds head to head in different guns but I'm happy with the result, seeing that those are my two "main" SD rounds and main training round.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]
What causes the change in windage?  Elevation I understand better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s just the barrel harmonics/rifle idiosyncrasies manifesting.  Every barrel is different, an individual, and can have different effects with different ammo. As an avid handloader and wildcatter I have learned that the point of impact of different loads is random. Take two rifles, same caliber, 2 loads. Both rifles are zeroed to load A. Rifle 1 may shoot load B high right and Rifle 2 may shoot load B low left. Why? Because that’s where they shoot with that load.. there isn’t a reason for it persay, but rather just “it is what it is...”

Want to know where two different loads shoot out of your rifle, go shoot it on paper. That’s the only way to know.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
It happens a lot, barrel vibrations.

Not every time, but if you switch to different bullet weight, or same bullet's weight is the same but the bullet's are a different length.

Windage shift is common if you shoot bench, you see it a lot.

Sometimes when you expect it to happen , it won't, lol. You can get a 55gr to shoot into the same hole as a 68bthp or some such for example if barrel vibes are the same.

Barrel vibes when the bullet exits, if the barrel is only 1/32" difference from barrel whip in one direction than another bullet, at 100yds that adds up to several inches easy.

Watch some You-tube vides on slow-motion  shooting of the barrel when the trigger is pulled, be prepared to get blown away by what you see!
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
As above, every barrel is different. You’ll want to see for yourself. Having said that, I must be lucky. I’ve never had much more than about 1.5 MOA shift tops @100 even going to extremes like 50gr vs 77gr.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I only track poi shift in my 308 bolt gun. It is difficult to predict without shooting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
When you guys say "every barrel is different" do you mean if I have two of the same gun I can expect different results?  If I shoot two 6920's they'll have a different POI shift between ammo types?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When you guys say "every barrel is different" do you mean if I have two of the same gun I can expect different results?  If I shoot two 6920's they'll have a different POI shift between ammo types?
View Quote
Yes, they can. Quite literally every barrel is different, along with the procedures to assemble the gun and the parts used. There's a chance that the shifts will be similar/more consistent/whatever between barrels from the same manufacturer, but there are so many variables involved that you can't say with any definition that POI will be the same with the same ammo at the same time.

If you're concerned about it, it's best to test your ammo types in your barrels with your ammo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]Quoted:[/b If anything generally lighter grain bullets with faster velocities shoot higher POI rather than lets say a 75gr 223 load.
View Quote
I would think that at the moment that powder ignition takes place and the barrel starts to raise due to recoil, that a light, fast bullet would leave the barrel in less time resulting in a lower POI, than a heavier, slower bullet which would take a longer time to leave the barrel resulting in a higher POI.  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would think that at the moment that powder ignition takes place and the barrel starts to raise due to recoil, that a light, fast bullet would leave the barrel in less time resulting in a lower POI, than a heavier, slower bullet which would take a longer time to leave the barrel resulting in a higher POI.  Am I wrong?
View Quote
You are correct.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You are correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.
A bullet is long gone by the time the recoil impulse moves the barrel
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A bullet is long gone by the time the recoil impulse moves the barrel
View Quote
Not with the guns I shoot, rifle or pistol. it's so simple to test it's funny you haven't seen it yet.  lol
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not with the guns I shoot, rifle or pistol. it's so simple to test it's funny you haven't seen it yet.  lol
View Quote
What would happen when 2 different weight rounds are fired from a non-recoiling fixed test barrel? If recoil was affecting poi, would they now hit the same place?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What would happen when 2 different weight rounds are fired from a non-recoiling fixed test barrel? If recoil was affecting poi, would they now hit the same place?
View Quote
All test barrels are recoiling.  You have to give the energy somewhere to go.   A completely rigid hardstand would dump a lot of energy back into the barrel and give awful harmonics.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The barrel bends man! something Is going to bend, don't take much, it will bend in a certain direction.

You didn't go to u tube and check it out did you? Even a blind person can see the barrel bend as the shot goes off.

Holding the gun yourself inflicts even more changes, hold it loose, than hold it tight, hold it with your arm on top vs hand on bottom.

Shoot a non floater with your left hand way out front vs way back by the magazine well and see for your self!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top