Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2022 1:37:32 PM EDT
Hi everyone

I’m looking at getting another piston ar 15 and I want to know what your thoughts are on these two ar 15s.  Which one do you think is better and more reliable. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak to the POF. In fact I didn't even know they were still in business. What I can say is that I've had my PWS MK110 (what the MK111 replaced), since 2015. It was my duty rifle until I left LE earlier this year. Suppressed or unsuppressed, it's run everything I've put through it, and in 7 years, I've really only cleaned it 3 times. Also, unlike the POF, the rail isn't a weird height that could make maintaining a good c clamp grip difficult in some positions. If mounting IR lasers or NV/thermal clip-ons is something you do or ever plan to, the PWS rail will hold zero. The POF might as well, but the PWS is more of a known quantity in that regard. In addition to my personal experience, I'd call it a clue that I can't find any reputable industry names, and only random youtubers or sponsored gun magazines talking about the POF.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The Gen4 POF's are exceptional.  Their lowers are fully ambidextrous and really some of the most ergonomic/functional lowers I've ever used along with ADM lowers.  I have a P415 upper 12.5" and the piston design is known for being bomb proof and mine was ready to go right out of the box.  I've never had a rifle that accurate with no barrel break-in and no fiddling to get things running the way I wanted.  Loaded up the first mag and it just rocked out to 300 yards (longest target available).  Super easy to adjust the gas system although I use a flow through suppressor so no adjustment needed.

Beyond that, they have a number of technical features for longevity, anti-tilt carrier, roller cam pin, etc...the fit and finish is exceptional, the BCG cleans very easily. There are numerous LE agencies that use POF and Keith Garcia's won national level events shooting the POF Revolution DI.  

I also own the Revolution DI but honestly, POF is known for their piston designs and they've been continuing to improve the P415 for a long, long time.  I visited the factory the last time I was in Phoenix and they have a wall with the evolution of their piston guns.  Was pretty impressive as was their entire manufacturing facility.  They make almost every bit in house.  There's a meltdown video on YouTube which is telling.  Normally I build anything 5.56 but the POF is a homogenous, well-engineered package and I would absolutely use it as a duty/war rifle.  

My only "complaint" would be the weight.  My DI 5.56 is a bit over 4 pounds so the extra heft of any piston system takes a bit of getting used to.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I am putting some things up for sale to fund a P415 Edge rifle. I like my LWRC DI rifle very much, but after looking at everything, I decided to get the POF instead.

I have not seen a range report here on the P415, but I will post one with pictures when I do get it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
No experience with the PWS but I have a P415.  It's been a solid rifle.  Zero issues.  Decent accuracy and nice trigger.  Cool ambi controls.

Eats steel case ammo like no other AR type rifle I've ever seen.  Doesn't care if it's Tula or Mk262.

My only "gripe" is the proprietary handguard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
POF Hands down.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#6]
POF’s piston design is better and less gassy when suppressed.

PWS suppressed is gaaaasssyyyy

POF is probably the most unstressed AR platform out there …
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone has their own experience,  but my PWS upper with a YHM turbo k -- which has crazy backpressure -- isn't gassy at all with the correct setting.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
As a left-handed PWS shooter, both my Mk111 and Mk114 have been fantastic suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I Own 2 p415 and p308. I won't consider PWS or any other piston gun until they can pass POF in a melt down test.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Own both a POF and a PWS - although I've had the POF for 10+ years, so it's definitely not the latest version.  Both are very solid, reliable and accurate rifles and you can't go wrong with either one.  Personally, I prefer the PWS because it is not as front heavy as the POF, and, as another poster has pointed out, the rail of the POF basically requires you to put your chin on the stock to get a good sight picture.  Haven't shot the POF suppressed because I have a pinned and welded muzzle brake on it, but I do shoot the PWS suppressed and haven't found it particularly gassy (and I shoot left handed).
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]
This is an old post and I just can across it, but I do want to add, no experience with the POF rifles, all I have heard about POF is they are well made and those who have them, really like them.  I do have a PWS MK114 with a P/W'ed Deadair Flash Hider and I shoot it suppressed, Deadair Sandman L and it is as smooth as can be.  The PWS has an adjustable gas block with "O", "OO" and "OOO" settings.  The "OOO" is for suppressed operation and it has cycled everything from 55 grain 193 to FGMM 77 grain, no issues.  

I am very impressed with the PWS and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thehun06:
POF's piston design is better and less gassy when suppressed.

PWS suppressed is gaaaasssyyyy

POF is probably the most unstressed AR platform out there  
View Quote
Can't speak to suppressed shooting, but the POF piston system is probably the least stressed I've ever seen.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top