BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/28/2020 1:58:19 AM EDT
POF has kind of caught my attention with their recently announced very lightweight Rogue .308 AR.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/rogue/

At 5.9 lbs it looks kind of interesting as a hunting .308, and at $1,800 MSRP (maybe ~$1,500 street price once things calm down) I don't think I could build an equivalent ultra light rifle for less.

I know the Rogue isn't out in the wild yet, but since it is a derivative of the Revolution DI, I'm curious to learn what folks think about POF large frame ARs in general.

A few specific things I've been wondering:

- Are POF large frame ARs generally well regarded reliability and accuracy wise?

- Does the E2 fluted chamber mouth design mangle brass or otherwise cause issues for reloaders?

- Are the barrel extensions and bolts compatible with other DPMS style barrels? The carrier looks a bit different, but I'm not sure about the bolt itself or extension.

- Will normal gas blocks/tubes work with the POF? I'd be using the rifle suppressed, so I'd guess some gas block tuning will be necessary.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like most of the reviews I could find of the Revolution are pretty positive, so I went ahead and ordered the Rogue today. Got it shipped and insured for about $200 under MSRP, so that's not too bad, although it sounds like shipping could be delayed for 3 weeks due to the Kung flu... Hopefully I'll like it, I haven't had a .308 in a while, but I still have dies, and a pile of bullets and powders, once I pick up some fresh cases I should be in back in business!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
looks solid to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYiyT0w7peg&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got two in today.
Freaking awesome!
A former SF buddy bought one as soon as he felt it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess the "Large Frame" portion of my thread title is a bit of a misnomer, it looks like these things are literally AR-15 sized except they are stretched in a few places like the mag well and bolt (but not bolt carrier) to accommodate the .308. Pretty dammed cool.

I sent POF some questions on the Rogue the other day and they answered quickly and thoroughly, I'll post up the answers in case anyone else is wondering:

Thank you for contacting POF-USA!

- Does the Rogue come with an accuracy guarantee? The Rogue rifle comes with a 1 MOA guarantee just like our other rifles. However, in real life testing, we have seen much better groupings out of the rifles with quality ammunition and shooter.

- Does the E2 fluted chamber mouth design damage brass or otherwise cause issues for reloaders? The E2 will not damage brass. It’ll only leave a few vertical carbon imprints on the brass. So you shouldn’t have any issued in terms of reloading. However, we don’t recommend using reloads in our rifles as any damage, or malfunctions caused by using reloads are not covered under warranty! Just want to keep you in the loop!

- Are the barrel extensions and bolts compatible with those made for other large frame ARs, or are they proprietary? The carrier looks a bit different, but I'm not sure about the bolt itself or extension. I only ask because I've been through a bunch of .308s but now prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor and was wondering if a barrel change in the future would be practical. Our barrel extensions, and barrels themselves are proprietary to POF-USA! As of right now, no one makes aftermarket barrels that work with our systems. However, we do offer a Revolution in 6.5 Creedmoor so later on down the road when you want to switch calibers, we may be able to do a swap for you!

- Will the Rogue function correctly suppressed? Would normal adjustable gas blocks and tubes fit the Rogue, if I need an adjustable gas block for it to function with my suppressors? It will function correctly with the use of an adjustable gas block such as the Dictator.  Our AR15 Dictator will fit the Rogue perfectly! That’s how Frank, the owner of POF-USA, runs his personal Rogue!

- I know COVID has thrown most companies off, but do you know when the Rogue might start shipping? Rogue rifles have already started shipping! You can find them online! I’ve had customers call and tell me that they’ve seen a few on Gunbroker and Central Florida Gun and Tactical!

Also in a second email they stated that the gas system on the Rogue is a mid length AR-15 system. Since it looks like I'll be waiting 3 weeks for Dahlonega Armory to drop my rifle into the mail, I'll probably go ahead and order an SA bleed off block and a mid-length tube.

With my Nomad 30 and a decent scope, I'm hoping to be right at, or a little over 8lbs all up. Should be very shootable and still easy to tote through the mountains.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
@gtscotty

Any review updates? I am considering ordering a Rogue and suppressing it. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, I don't have it yet, but I did get a shipping notification and it should be in to my dealer on Wednesday. I'm going to try to pick it up and take it out this weekend. I have a SA clamp-on gas block waiting, so I'm planning on mounting that and trying to get it dialed in with my scope and some factory ammo before starting load work. I don't have the scope/mount for this rifle in yet, so I'll have to swap over the scope from my Grendel for this weekend.

I've been planning buying an MBT-2s flat bow trigger for this rifle, but I think I'll try the POF single stage it comes with first, if the pull really is 4.5lb, it will get replaced. I also do not know whether the minimalist stock will play well with bag shooting for load development, I may wind up getting a Luth-AR MBA-5 stock for it as well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember this...Rogue is an AR15 that fires a .308...you will need a AR15 MidLength Dictator NOT the AR10 variant...

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Remember this...Rogue is an AR15 that fires a .308...you will need a AR15 MidLength Dictator NOT the AR10 variant...

View Quote

Yep, they stated that in one of their answers to my questions, the Rogue uses a mid-length AR-15 gas system (0.75" dia). I thought about picking up a Dictator, but I really prefer the Superlative Arms bleed off block I have on my Grendel to my other restriction type block for suppressed shooting, so I just wound up buying another. I did go clamp-on this time instead of set screw this time because I don't know if the Rogue barrel will be dimpled or not.

I was going to verify function with the stock gas block, but after waiting three weeks for it, I'm twitchy and want to jump right into load development.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you. Please post an update after you shoot it.

I will also be going with the SA gas block
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I posted this in another thread but it fits here, too.

I like my 12.5" Rogue pistol. I've taken it out two weekends in a row. It didn't like wolf at first but I shot a few mags of brass ammo and basically drenched the bcg and fed ramps in oil and now it does alright with wolf. I think it still needs a bit more break in. Didn't do accuracy testing but I could hit steel at 200yds.

It kicks. Not like a magnum, but probably a 12ga. My brother shot it and said it felt like my 458 socom sbr.

Shooting suppressed will require a different gas block as it becomes over gassed and starts choking on wolf again.

I don't only shoot wolf but I have a ton of it and I wanted this as a hog gun /blaster and I want wolf to run in it.

I really like that they offer an option without bells and whistles, since I change stuff out anyway.

As it is, I installed my preferred k2 grip, raptor ch, sba4 brace, Sig silencer mount, and threw in an alg trigger because the POF trigger felt weird to me in this configuration. I put it in a 20" 6.5cm rifle and I like it a lot better in that role. I'm just used to milspec triggers in guns I shoot without a bipod, etc. It's a nice trigger. I've tried cmc and geissele on other ARs and didn't like them either - they are currently installed in precision guns. Ymmv.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
I posted this in another thread but it fits here, too. 

I like my 12.5" Rogue pistol. I've taken it out two weekends in a row. It didn't like wolf at first but I shot a few mags of brass ammo and basically drenched the bcg and fed ramps in oil and now it does alright with wolf. I think it still needs a bit more break in. Didn't do accuracy testing but I could hit steel at 200yds.

It kicks. Not like a magnum, but probably a 12ga. My brother shot it and said it felt like my 458 socom sbr.

Shooting suppressed will require a different gas block as it becomes over gassed and starts choking on wolf again.

I don't only shoot wolf but I have a ton of it and I wanted this as a hog gun /blaster and I want wolf to run in it.

I really like that they offer an option without bells and whistles, since I change stuff out anyway. 

As it is, I installed my preferred k2 grip, raptor ch, sba4 brace, Sig silencer mount, and threw in an alg trigger because the POF trigger felt weird to me in this configuration. I put it in a 20" 6.5cm rifle and I like it a lot better in that role. I'm just used to milspec triggers in guns I shoot without a bipod, etc. It's a nice trigger. I've tried cmc and geissele on other ARs and didn't like them either - they are currently installed in precision guns. Ymmv. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screenshot_20200515-150959_Gallery_jpg-1422868.JPG
View Quote

Very cool, I can't wait to get mine (rifle version) in, hopefully I'll still get to shoot it this weekend.

Are you still running the stock non-adjustable gas block it comes with? Is it overgassed out of the box?

I'm not a big fan of magnum recoil, but .30-06 and .308 level are fine. I think once mine is set up with my scope, mount, Nomad and SA block it will be about 8lbs, do I don't see recoil being an issue.

Did you happen to measure the POF trigger weight? I know it's supposed to be 4.5lbs, but I've heard others say theirs came lighter.  What didn't you like about the feel? The MBT-2s in my Grendel is really nice, 2lb first stage and 1.5lb second stage, exactly what I want in an AR I'm trying to squeeze accuracy out of, I'm probably still put one in my Rogue, but I'll see how the POF trigger feels first.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Very cool, I can't wait to get mine (rifle version) in, hopefully I'll still get to shoot it this weekend.

Are you still running the stock non-adjustable gas block it comes with? Is it overgassed out of the box?

I'm not a big fan of magnum recoil, but .30-06 and .308 level are fine. I think once mine is set up with my scope, mount, Nomad and SA block it will be about 8lbs, do I don't see recoil being an issue.

Did you happen to measure the POF trigger weight? I know it's supposed to be 4.5lbs, but I've heard others say theirs came lighter.  What didn't you like about the feel? The MBT-2s in my Grendel is really nice, 2lb first stage and 1.5lb second stage, exactly what I want in an AR I'm trying to squeeze accuracy out of, I'm probably still put one in my Rogue, but I'll see how the POF trigger feels first.
View Quote

It didn't seem overgassed for unsuppressed shooting. But when I put a can on, it was short stroking and giving me problems. That's to be expected. It's a 12.5" midlength gassed rifle, so it's gas port (which I haven't measured) is tuned to run reliably unsuppressed and will not be ideal for a suppressed application.

I didn't measure the trigger weight. It's a crisp single stage trigger. 4.5lbs sounds right, compared to my 3.5lbs cmc trigger. I am mostly shooting this offhand or from various positions (I was running drills with it this weekend, for example) and I just really didn't like that kind of trigger in that application. It's completely personal preference.

I'll reiterate that I put the pof trigger in a 6.5 creedmoor gun and really liked it in that application. It doesn't have creep. It just breaks. I'm not much of a trigger snob, though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Had my Rogue pistol about a week, weighs 5.5 lbs compared to Revolution DI  pistol at 6.4. Differances between the 2. Differant barrel and barrel twist, gas block, gas tube, muzzle device, upper and lower receivers, barrel nut, charging handle, bolt carrier and bolt and mag releases. I changed uppers with each  other and now have 2 pistols at 6 pounds even. Rouge was just light enough before to not be that much fun after 60 rnds. Not bad with either now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:
Had my Rogue pistol about a week, weighs 5.5 lbs compared to Revolution DI  pistol at 6.4. Differances between the 2. Differant barrel and barrel twist, gas block, gas tube, muzzle device, upper and lower receivers, barrel nut, charging handle, bolt carrier and bolt and mag releases. I changed uppers with each  other and now have 2 pistols at 6 pounds even. Rouge was just light enough before to not be that much fun after 60 rnds. Not bad with either now.
View Quote

Can you guys confirm if it has an AR15 carrier and gas block, buffer spring/weight as well?  That's what POF tech guy told me when I called them a couple months back. He pretty much have me a list of what is interchangeable.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Buffer spring and tube are longer, buffer is the same, carrier is ar 15 size with POF gas key, Revolution DI has several slots cut into it, Rogue does not. Rouge gas block and tube look like regular AR 15, Revolution uses Dictator block and tube. Lot of differances between Rogue and Revolution.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
So...here is my opinion...I love POFs innovation...but I think a cartridge like the .308/6.5CM needs the extra mass and action cyclic length...one of the reasons I gave up on .308 bullpups...

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
So...here is my opinion...I love POFs innovation...but I think a cartridge like the .308/6.5CM needs the extra mass and action cyclic length...one of the reasons I gave up on .308 bullpups...

View Quote

Why do you say that?

With the AR-15 gas system tuned correctly to balance with the AR-15 carrier, buffer and spring dynamics, why would it matter whether the cartridge fired is a .223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .458 Socom or .308? The vast majority of the reviews I can find of the Rogue and Revolution DI are pretty positive, I don't anticipate any fundsmental issues getting mine to run well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gtscotty:

Why do you say that? 

With the AR-15 gas system tuned correctly to balance with the AR-15 carrier, buffer and spring dynamics, why would it matter whether the cartridge fired is a .223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .458 Socom or .308? The vast majority of the reviews I can find of the Rogue and Revolution DI are pretty positive, I don't anticipate any fundamental issues getting mine to run well.
View Quote

I'm wondering why their spring and their buffer tube is longer but everything else seems to be AR15 sized. Theoretically tuning the gas would eliminate the need for a longer tuber/spring.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm wondering why their spring and their buffer tube is longer but everything else seems to be AR15 sized. Theoretically tuning the gas would eliminate the need for a longer tuber/spring. Unless they're trying to modify dwell time?
View Quote
I'm pretty sure it's just the buffer tube they use on their 556 guns (renegade, etc). It's a 7 position "anti tilt" tube. If it's longer than standard tubes, then they must just use a longer spring. I don't think the tube is part of a special 308 design modification.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Spring is 308 specific.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I was checking POF's website and in the spec sheet states that the Rogue has a 6 position mil spec carbine buffer tube so now I'm confused.

I was wondering a few things. . .
1) Does this use AR15 takedown pins?
2) Does this use AR15 bolt catch
3) Does this use AR15 mag catch
4) What length gas system (mid or rifle)
5) Does this use AR15 mag release?
6) Does this use AR15 barrel nut/Handguard?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was checking POF's website and in the spec sheet states that the Rogue has a 6 position mil spec carbine buffer tube so now I'm confused.

I was wondering a few things. . .
1) Does this use AR15 takedown pins?
2) Does this use AR15 bolt catch
3) Does this use AR15 mag catch
4) What length gas system (mid or rifle)
5) Does this use AR15 mag release?
6) Does this use AR15 barrel nut/Handguard?
View Quote
Sorry I was going off their website. The Rogue and every other product's page shows a 7 position tube. I just checked my Rogue and it's 6. It does appear to be .5" longer than a standard milspec tube.

It's a midlength gas tube, I don't know about everything else and I'm not sure what the distance between a mag catch and release is.

POF did tell me their revolution di barrel nut (and I assume then the Rogue) is standard AR15 thread but they don't recommend and won't warranty installing a different handguard because the system is designed with the heat sink barrel nut and they feel pretty strongly that it is an important part of running 308 through the smaller system without creating problems. Not sure if I buy it but I'm not an engineer, so....
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:29:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I picked mine up today, and it is a pretty sweet handing little rig, weighed in at 5lb 15.7oz, true to the 5.9lb advertised weight.... As long as you round down.

I got the stock low-pro gas block off, but it was a bitch and a half. Both set screws were staked by someone who really meant it, even with penetrating oil, the hex sockets stripped and I had to drill them both out. Pulled the stock muzzle brake and mounted a clamp on Superlative Arms block/mid-length tube, and hopefully I'm good to go. I think I'm going to run by the range tomorrow before work with the Rogue and my Nomad 30 to verify function at full open, and if that's all good, start dialing in a setting in the bleed off mode that works both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#24]
@GTScotty

Nice! Can you re-use the midlength gas tube?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I picked mine up today, and it is a pretty sweet handing little rig, weighed in at 5lb 15.7oz, true to the 5.9lb advertised weight.... As long as you round down.

https://i.ibb.co/hYb0NTH/IMG-20200520-205712741-01.jpg

I got the stock low-pro gas block off, but it was a bitch and a half. Both set screws were staked by someone who really meant it, even with penetrating oil, the hex sockets stripped and I had to drill them both out. Pulled the stock muzzle brake and mounted a clamp on Superlative Arms block/mid-length tube, and hopefully I'm good to go. I think I'm going to run by the range tomorrow before work with the Rogue and my Nomad 30 to verify function at full open, and if that's all good, start dialing in a setting in the bleed off mode that works both suppressed and unsuppressed.
View Quote

Now I know when I remove mine that I should definitely apply heat. Were they loctited?

I'm assuming it's a 0.750 GB diameter mid length with stock spaced gas block set screws. How much. Does the stock gas block weigh versus SA?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

I'm wondering why their spring and their buffer tube is longer but everything else seems to be AR15 sized. Theoretically tuning the gas would eliminate the need for a longer tuber/spring.
View Quote

Because the .308 needs it...its essentially a VLTOR A5 buffer system...in the Revolution spec guns...I haven't had hands on with the Rogue so can't tell you what combo they are running.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Why do you say that? 

With the AR-15 gas system tuned correctly to balance with the AR-15 carrier, buffer and spring dynamics, why would it matter whether the cartridge fired is a .223, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .458 Socom or .308? The vast majority of the reviews I can find of the Rogue and Revolution DI are pretty positive, I don't anticipate any fundsmental issues getting mine to run well.
View Quote

5.56 and .308 is a complete different animal. Completely different way of making it work...

.308/6.5CM needs more mass and longer length in its action to work properly in semi-auto...without adding stress or felt snappy recoil.

Historically, the most semi auto .308s that have issues with FTF/FTE etc are shorter action, shorter buffer and light weight...

I get that we want to be uber lightweight ninja commandos all the time...but sometimes weight is your friend...when it comes to making reliable semi auto .308 platforms...you need some weight and extra length to make it reliable...

I've shot quite a few .308s this passed two years from bullpups (MDR and T7), POF Revs and POF full size....the POF full size by far was the smoothest and easiest .308 platform to use...T7 was next, POF Revolution was 3rd and the MDR was last...the T7 was still snappy but not as much as the POF Revolution nor the MDR.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#28]

5.56 and .308 is a complete different animal. Completely different way of making it work...

.308/6.5CM needs more mass and longer length in its action to work properly in semi-auto...without adding stress or felt snappy recoil.

Historically, the most semi auto .308s that have issues with FTF/FTE etc are shorter action, shorter buffer and light weight...

I get that we want to be uber lightweight ninja commandos all the time...but sometimes weight is your friend...when it comes to making reliable semi auto .308 platforms...you need some weight and extra length to make it reliable...

I've shot quite a few .308s this passed two years from bullpups (MDR and T7), POF Revs and POF full size....the POF full size by far was the smoothest and easiest .308 platform to use...T7 was next, POF Revolution was 3rd and the MDR was last...the T7 was still snappy but not as much as the POF Revolution nor the MDR.
View Quote

Other than the obvious size difference, .223 and .308 aren't very different when it comes to case volume to bore area ratio, optimal powder burn rates and pressure curves, and ARs in .223 and .308 definitely don't work different ways....

I've had ARs in all if the chamberings I mentioned except .458, and properly tuned they all ran fine. I'm pretty confident that this .308 will be no different because the basic physics problem is exactly the same with slightly different variables. The rifle ran flawlessly as is this morning, and I'll tune the variables some more to get the balance where I want it suppressed.

I don't think you get the reason for this rifle being lightweight at all. It's not for mall ninja range larping or whatever, it's because it will be a suppressed hunting rifle for elk and muleys in the front range of the Rockies. Hike one of those piggy large frame .308 ARs around the mountains at 8k-10k ft and get back to me on how all that extra weight is your friend, lol. I've been down the large frame AR road before, and I can deal with a little extra recoil from the already sedate .308 no problem if it means I wind up with an 8.5lb all up rig vs a 12lb all up rig.

I don't get the reference to two years? Is that how long you've been messing with ARs?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Rogue pistol is same buffer, spring and tube as DI Revolution pistol. The brace, pistol grip, safety, trigger and pins, front and rear takedown pins, bolt and handgaurd are the same also. Everything else is different-upper and lower receivers, bolt carrier, mag release, bolt release, charging handle, barrel, barrel nut, gas block and tube and muzzle device. My comments come from looking at both of them sitting in front of me, not from spec sheet or internet comments or statements.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By elco23:
Rogue pistol is same buffer, spring and tube as DI Revolution pistol. The brace, pistol grip, safety, trigger and pins, front and rear takedown pins, bolt and handgaurd are the same also. Everything else is different-upper and lower receivers, bolt carrier, mag release, bolt release, charging handle, barrel, barrel nut, gas block and tube and muzzle device. My comments come from looking at both of them sitting in front of me, not from spec sheet or internet comments or statements.
View Quote

Thank you. I wonder if they changed that last minute like they did the trigger.

So if the carrier is AR15 sized, what bolt did they have in there?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

Thank you. I wonder if they changed that last minute like they did the trigger.

So if the carrier is AR15 sized, what bolt did they have in there?
View Quote

The carrier looks like a standard AR-15 carrier with a different gas key configuration. The bolt and barrel extension are proprietary in dimension and material.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Other than the obvious size difference, .223 and .308 aren't very different when it comes to case volume to bore area ratio, optimal powder burn rates and pressure curves, and ARs in .223 and .308 definitely don't work different ways....

I've had ARs in all if the chamberings I mentioned except .458, and properly tuned they all ran fine. I'm pretty confident that this .308 will be no different because the basic physics problem is exactly the same with slightly different variables. The rifle ran flawlessly as is this morning, and I'll tune the variables some more to get the balance where I want it suppressed.

I don't think you get the reason for this rifle being lightweight at all. It's not for mall ninja range larping or whatever, it's because it will be a suppressed hunting rifle for elk and muleys in the front range of the Rockies. Hike one of those piggy large frame .308 ARs around the mountains at 8k-10k ft and get back to me on how all that extra weight is your friend, lol. I've been down the large frame AR road before, and I can deal with a little extra recoil from the already sedate .308 no problem if it means I wind up with an 8.5lb all up rig vs a 12lb all up rig.

I don't get the reference to two years? Is that how long you've been messing with ARs?
View Quote

What...no...I have been focusing on .308 semis for the last two years...stating my observations...larger .308 semis just run much better and a lot smoother than shorter brethren...getting a .308 in the size of an AR15 or cramped into small bullpup...you will suffer in all aspects except weight/handling...shorter .308 guns def need adjustable gas blocks...

For the record...love POF...I run a P308.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Revolution DI has 9 position gas block, Rogue has regular gas block, both pistols, both feed, fire and eject the same ammo the same way in the same place 100% of the time. Adjusting the gas block  down on the Revolution changes the relability down from 100%. May just be these 2 guns, but my Revolution piston rifle does everything the same also. POF got it right. If you are going suppressed, that is totally differant.As I said before, my comments are based on owning  and shooting the guns, not speculation.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Got the Rogue out before work to play with the gas settings, here are a few pictures in better light.

I can tell handling and shooting the rifle that the safety was moved back towards the grip, but the ergos are still good.

One ding against the rifle is that POF didn't properly undercut the threads at the shoulder, which can be a bummer depending on how you're suppressor mount and muzzle devices are cut. It seems like a lot of companies are getting this right these days, but not all, I had this same problem on an Odin Works barrel and a Tikka CTR, I may need to get a local Smith to fix the threads if my minimalist brake won't shoulder.

My Nomad fits well with the DT adapter at any rate, you can see where the safety is relative to the grip when it's in the firing position.

I have to glue my mounts into my Nomad with thread locker if I don't want this to randomly happen, forgot this morning.

The rifle ran well unsuppressed, and was smooth shooting in bleed off mode, recoil was mild for the rifle weight. Suppressed it's ejecting at  1:30 to 2 o'clock and still needs to slow down a little, I'm going to try an H3 buffer tomorrow and dial it back to an H2 if that's too much. I'd like to get it smoothed out so I can do a little load work this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Very nice. I changed safeties on mine first thing, just gave me an irritating little rub.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Very nice. I changed safeties on mine first thing, just gave me an irritating little rub.
View Quote

Yeah, I probably will too, I can shoot fine with the safety there, but I can still feel it and an ambi safety has zero value for me.

One other ding against the rifle is with the little plastic screws you're supposed to use to tighten the fit between the upper and lower. My upper and lower fit is somewhat rattley, but the little plastic Allen screws are so loose in their holes that they move around on the own. I can adjust them, but then if I un-pin the upper a few times, the plastic screws will move randomly enough on their own to either make the fit too tight or too loose the next time I go to re-pin the upper. I'm going to contact POF about that, the plastic Allen screws are obviously supposed to have a tighter fit so they will stay where you adjust them, and it's annoying winding up with a random fit whenever you undo the rear pin.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm pretty sure the safety get moved back WITH the grip so that their relation to each other is the same as any other AR. No?

Mine feels exactly the same, so I don't know what you mean.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Got the Rogue out before work to play with the gas settings, here are a few pictures in better light.

https://i.ibb.co/3knc1tD/IMG-20200521-071945969-01.jpg

I can tell handling and shooting the rifle that the safety was moved back towards the grip, but the ergos are still good.

https://i.ibb.co/4Rfb3JB/IMG-20200521-072036535-HDR-01.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/XXjyyLh/IMG-20200521-072057864-HDR-01.jpg

One ding against the rifle is that POF didn't properly undercut the threads at the shoulder, which can be a bummer depending on how you're suppressor mount and muzzle devices are cut. It seems like a lot of companies are getting this right these days, but not all, I had this same problem on an Odin Works barrel and a Tikka CTR, I may need to get a local Smith to fix the threads if my minimalist brake won't shoulder.

https://i.ibb.co/Wn5HfSw/IMG-20200521-074225075-01.jpg

My Nomad fits well with the DT adapter at any rate, you can see where the safety is relative to the grip when it's in the firing position.

https://i.ibb.co/Y8VPRZv/IMG-20200521-075345896-HDR-01.jpg

I have to glue my mounts into my Nomad with thread locker if I don't want this to randomly happen, forgot this morning.

https://i.ibb.co/b7Bck8s/IMG-20200521-075754096-HDR-01-01.jpg

The rifle ran well unsuppressed, and was smooth shooting in bleed off mode, recoil was mild for the rifle weight. Suppressed it's ejecting at  1:30 to 2 o'clock and still needs to slow down a little, I'm going to try an H3 buffer tomorrow and dial it back to an H2 if that's too much. I'd like to get it smoothed out so I can do a little load work this weekend.
View Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mag catch/release and bolt release are all ar15 sized? The takedown pins don't like AR15 size. Can you confirm?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Back it out and put a drop of paint, fingernail polish, teflon pipe dope or non super glue type glue on it, should stay put but still able to adjust later if need to. Loctite is a bad idea though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I posted this in another thread but it fits here, too.

I like my 12.5" Rogue pistol. I've taken it out two weekends in a row. It didn't like wolf at first but I shot a few mags of brass ammo and basically drenched the bcg and fed ramps in oil and now it does alright with wolf. I think it still needs a bit more break in. Didn't do accuracy testing but I could hit steel at 200yds.

It kicks. Not like a magnum, but probably a 12ga. My brother shot it and said it felt like my 458 socom sbr.

Shooting suppressed will require a different gas block as it becomes over gassed and starts choking on wolf again.

I don't only shoot wolf but I have a ton of it and I wanted this as a hog gun /blaster and I want wolf to run in it.

I really like that they offer an option without bells and whistles, since I change stuff out anyway.

As it is, I installed my preferred k2 grip, raptor ch, sba4 brace, Sig silencer mount, and threw in an alg trigger because the POF trigger felt weird to me in this configuration. I put it in a 20" 6.5cm rifle and I like it a lot better in that role. I'm just used to milspec triggers in guns I shoot without a bipod, etc. It's a nice trigger. I've tried cmc and geissele on other ARs and didn't like them either - they are currently installed in precision guns. Ymmv.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screenshot_20200515-150959_Gallery_jpg-1422868.JPG
View Quote

Are you saying there is n “OEM” model? I’m only seeing 2 options a rifle and a pistol
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Are you saying there is n "OEM" model? I'm only seeing 2 options a rifle and a pistol
View Quote
Rogue is the "OEM" model of the Revolution.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Just an update, the H3 buffer helped, but the SA block just isn't able to bleed off enough gas to get the balance where I want it. I ordered a POF Dictator restriction type gas block to put on the rifle. As an aside, SA used to advertise their gas blocks as being capable of two modes, restriction and bleed off. Now, talking to them on the phone a few times I was advised that they no longer recommend using the gas block with the adjustment screw less than 4.5 turns out from closed (the restriction mode). While their website advertises 30 positions of adjustment, now that they don't recommend using the first 18 positions (4.5 turns) you really only have 12 positions of adjustment until you hit their recommended max.

I got my GA Minimalist EZ brake in and I think the janky threading job on the POF might be a problem. Its tough to tell for sure, but I think the taper where the undercut should be is keeping the muzzle brake from tightening evenly onto the shoulder. I plan on calling POF on Tuesday and seeing if they'll fix the threads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just an update, the H3 buffer helped, but the SA block just isn't able to bleed off enough gas to get the balance where I want it. I ordered a POF Dictator restriction type gas block to put on the rifle. As an aside, SA used to advertise their gas blocks as being capable of two modes, restriction and bleed off. Now, talking to them on the phone a few times I was advised that they no longer recommend using the gas block with the adjustment screw less than 4.5 turns out from closed (the restriction mode). While their website advertises 30 positions of adjustment, now that they don't recommend using the first 18 positions (4.5 turns) you really only have 12 positions of adjustment until you hit their recommended max.

I got my GA Minimalist EZ brake in and I think the janky threading job on the POF might be a problem. Its tough to tell for sure, but I think the taper where the undercut should be is keeping the muzzle brake from tightening evenly onto the shoulder. I plan on calling POF on Tuesday and seeing if they'll fix the threads.
View Quote
Did SA indicate why you shouldn't use their gas block like every other adjustable gas block on the market?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Did SA indicate why you shouldn't use their gas block like every other adjustable gas block on the market?
View Quote

They basically said that in restriction mode it would eventually carbon up and freeze in one position like other adjustable gas blocks on the market. The rifle ran well with the block 3 clicks out from closed, but I'm just going to pull it off and put it on my next .223.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@GTScotty

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@GTScotty

I could have, but already had an AR Stoner nitrided tube mounted in the SA block. I'll probably drive the pin out of the stock block and keep the tube as a spare.

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the mag catch/release and bolt release are all ar15 sized? The takedown pins don't like AR15 size. Can you confirm?

Can't tell you 100%, they look ar-15 sized, but I didn't pull them out to compare or anything.

I guess the safety selector is in the same position relative to the grip as a normal AR-15 is, and the whole assembly is moved rearward on the receiver. The selector must have just felt strange because I never run ambi parts (not wrong handed).

POF below my Grendel
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The selector must have just felt strange because I never run ambi parts (not wrong handed).

POF below my Grendel
https://i.ibb.co/FJGtQh9/IMG-20200524-093028851-01.jpg
View Quote

More than likely it was the difference in grip angle that made the safety feel as though it was closer. A lot of shooters swear by those straighter grips. I have shot the older angle grip for so long, plus all the M-14 and bolt actions, I just can't get comfortable with the straighter grips. F'ing "boomer", I know. May the rest of ya's live so long.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

More than likely it was the difference in grip angle that made the safety feel as though it was closer. A lot of shooters swear by those straighter grips. I have shot the older angle grip for so long, plus all the M-14 and bolt actions, I just can't get comfortable with the straighter grips. F'ing "boomer", I know. May the rest of ya's live so long.
View Quote

I only like the straight grips for PDW. Setups, they feel awkward otherwise. They make me feel like I'm all crunched up if not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Just got my POF Rogue 16.5. Everything seems to function. I did however notice that on the edge of the cam pin slot on the bolt, it looked like there were burrs to where it was not properly machined. To my understanding, this is where most bolts fail on AR15s.

It came in at 5 lbs 15.1 oz on my scale. Not a fan of the more vertical grip at all.  It seems to use the High Pressure Revolution 308 bolt and firing pin (proprietary). It Uses the POF AR15 cam pin, rear takedown pin/trigger pins/mag release/mag catch (AR15), front pivot pin is definitely not AR15 sized and looks sized for AR10, AR10 port door/rod, POF DI carrier (AR15), POF Renegade handguard (AR15), POF AR15 trigger, POF fixed gas block (mid-length AR15 0.750 dia), AR15 charging handle, AR15 POF universal bolt catch. It has a POF 6 position stock, which is about half an inch larger than an AR15.

Trigger pull is about 4.5 lbs as advertised if pulled at dead center of bow. Pretty much anything bellow that will be 3.5 - 4.5. Not much creep, clean break/reset . I'm actually impressed by the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Well I ordered the Rogue and director gas block from POF. Now the wait....
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well I ordered the Rogue and director gas block from POF. Now the wait....
View Quote

Be careful when removing the gas block screws. They're staked so good. You won't be able to just untorque the screw. I did that and it broke my bit. Not exactly sure if a left handed bit will remove it or not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top