Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2021 9:38:37 AM EDT
Backstory time ...... Just got an a2 front sight 16in stag barrel cheap today from the shop I work at. Gunsmith was gonna do something with it but only opened the gas port with a 3/32 bit then eventually abandoned the project. The barrel to my knowledge will be overgassed like a MF. Question is what’s my best bet for slowing things down so it doesn’t beat itself to death as fast , going with a carbine h3 buffer or a vltor h1/2/3 buffer and rifle spring ? The lower it’s going on has a magpul ubr gen 2 stock so it can take either or just by removing the spacer inside. Trying to stay away if possible from an adjustable gas block , kinda like the a2 front sight it’s got on there now. Any info would greatly help
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I asked the smith why he dropped it and he said the barrel is basically new/unfired and he dropped it because he got more interested in a sbs saiga he was working on
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend purchased a .350 Legend and couldn't get it to run at all. The seller refused to respond to inquiries claiming he was out of business. The gas port was close to .140"!

I tried h3 buffers, modified his magazines and polished the feed ramps in and effort to get it running. It improved, but still stumbled at least once per 10 round magazine.

I ended up trying a rifle stocked lower an it ran like a champ. He could do mag dumps while hip shooting. He converted his carbine lower to a rifle stock lower and is a happy camper.

Over gassed like crazy, but the heavy buffer and longer spring tamed it down enough to work
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
He break anything yet with it gassed that hard ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He break anything yet with it gassed that hard ?
View Quote

Not yet, but it's a Bambi busting rifle. I doubt it gets used much outside of hunting season.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I suggest an adjustable gas block like the superlative arms or a restricted gas tube like the BRT optimum tubes. And an a5 buffer is always a plus, its really great system. Yes the rifle will run but it'll probably be rater unpleasant for the shooter, hard on brass, and further down the road parts will break sooner
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top