Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2023 9:46:54 PM EDT
My Dad likes carrying guns on the shoulder instead of across the body. I built him a hunting AR with a Magpul QD sling but he doesn’t like it. I know I can get a sling stud for the front rail that bipod typically mount to, but what about the rear? Most stocks have the QD point on the side or a slot for threading the sling also on the side. The hunting slings like to be inline with the bottom of the gun, not coming off the side. What options are there to get the sling stud online with the gun?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What stock body?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#2]
I carry my ARs with them slung over my shoulder all the time, with a QD at the front of the handguard and one on the stock. As long as you have a two point sling I don’t see why it would be a problem.

The fact that they’re mounted on the side is preferable due to the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:30:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#4]
When you sling a bolt action over your shoulder it sits on the base plate however, an AR15 isn't shaped the same. I dont carry mine like that, but I can't see how that wouldn't work well. I think having the sling mounted to the side and the gun, slung on it's side would be far more comfortable and effective.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nominion] [#5]
I have 3 of the Magpul MS4 slings. One or two point operation. QD mount point on the side of the stock, receiver end plate and the side of the rail.  Provides me with just about any configuration required, including carrying over the shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Standard A2 stock, with sling ran through it and QD up front.  Done.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
What stock do you have?
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RifleDisciple:I know I can get a sling stud for the front rail that bipod typically mount to, but what about the rear? Most stocks have the QD point on the side or a slot for threading the sling also on the side. The hunting slings like to be inline with the bottom of the gun, not coming off the side. What options are there to get the sling stud online with the gun?
View Quote

I carry my rifle to the range on a 1907 sling attached at 9 o'clock in front and 3 o'clock at the rear.  With the right tension, the rifle itself is held in place by the shoulder blade.  That 9/3 sling location also lets the sling curl pretty naturally for use as a hasty sling.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

My dad wanted a standard sling on the 350 and 450 i put together for him.
350 was easy, Ace stock had a sling stud and just added another to the ALG handguard.
The 450 needed a Mlok adapter and i added a stud to the Moe fixed stock.
Both work just fine.

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a QD as far forward as I can on the rail, I typically run my rail just shy of the start of the threads of my barrel and my rear is on my stock on the side or on the endplate.
before, I was using the QD on the rail near the receiver. it sucked. slung on your back it would flop sideways.  can't walk through a door, or in the woods AT ALL with it.
my magpul QD sling is great once I figured out adjustment length and etc. I can single point it or 2 point. I can change how I sling it depending what im doing.

easy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the tips everyone. He has a cheap air soft style Skeletonized stock because he liked the looks. It has a QD cup that doesn’t hold the Magpul QD sling. So he will have to attach the back end to the QD end plate (BCM). But moving the front end out to the muzzle end may be a good start. I’ll try that and see how it goes.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
I carry my ARs with them slung over my shoulder all the time, with a QD at the front of the handguard and one on the stock. As long as you have a two point sling I don’t see why it would be a problem.

The fact that they’re mounted on the side is preferable due to the pistol grip.
View Quote

I’m new to the AR being a hunting/bolt action guy. I plan on carrying my 6 ARC over my shoulder with a backpack. Any interference with a QD sling attached to left side (right handed rifle) over the shoulder with a backpack?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:57:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#13]
[Deleted]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top