Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2021 5:13:20 PM EDT
Looking for an outdoor range to shoot rifles at distances farther than what my backyard range provides. The closest and least expensive one prohibits ammunition with steel cored projectiles because they believe there is an increased risk of ricochets.

The range appears to have properly constructed and sized berms, and they only allow rifles to be fired from a bench. I think their issue with steel core projectiles is excessively cautious, but as the saying goes " their range, their rules". Not a significant issue for me, but I've never heard this reason given for prohibiting steel core projectiles.

In your opinion, do you agree with this range's position?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
They are probably using that as an excuse because they want the brass cases for reloading and cheap Russian ammo also has steel cases.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The same ban at every range I've visited.  Seems to be a concern about ricochets, over-penetration, and damage to steel targets.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The bench only is the more troublesome as it has you shooting in a way you never will in the field.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bench only is the more troublesome as it has you shooting in a way you never will in the field.
View Quote

Yes.

My club is getting worse in many ways with the new management.  They’re trying to improve things but the list of you cannot do this is growing fast on top of range segments getting shut down.  

Indoor pustol range with old not that hard metal plate, its limited to rimfire and cast lead undr 1000 or 900 fps.  Old school bullseye range.  Dumb idiots shooting fast jacketed through the backstop.  Beyond the backstop is the block wall.

Beyond the block wall is the outdoor pistol range firing point just twenty yards.  There are a few holes through the block wall and the standard construction eves.  

Couple that with misuse of the outdoor range, shooting target frames, shooting into the dirt well before the berms skipping rounds over the berm.........onto the 200 yard rifle range that lies parallel to the outdoor pistol range.   Of course it is bad to have buzzing pistol shots harrassing you as you change your two hundred yard target.

So the outdoor pistol range is shut down to have everyone on one firing line and no longer rely on the 8-9 foot jersey wall barrier so pistol shooters now can shoot on the rifle 25 yard line.   Then there was the issue of pistol shooters going forward of the firing benches there.

This is a membership club and I just am frustrated.

I am all about safety but its one thing after another.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
OP:
When you say "steel core" .... do you mean Armor Piercing?  or the bimetal steel jacket type stuff?  
Either way, No I don't agree.....  
Either you have a proper backstop or you don't and either you have a good "safety fan" down range or you do not.  
Chewing up steel targets is one thing..... but they told you ricochet issues......
Higher velocity usually means the bullets break up (not stay together) so you'd have more issues with 22's, cowboy type lead bullets....
not Russian 7.62x39.  

I ASSUME they let you pick up your own brass so Apaco comments dont apply. .....
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes.

My club is getting worse in many ways with the new management.  They’re trying to improve things but the list of you cannot do this is growing fast on top of range segments getting shut down.  

Indoor pustol range with old not that hard metal plate, its limited to rimfire and cast lead undr 1000 or 900 fps.  Old school bullseye range.  Dumb idiots shooting fast jacketed through the backstop.  Beyond the backstop is the block wall.

Beyond the block wall is the outdoor pistol range firing point just twenty yards.  There are a few holes through the block wall and the standard construction eves.  

Couple that with misuse of the outdoor range, shooting target frames, shooting into the dirt well before the berms skipping rounds over the berm.........onto the 200 yard rifle range that lies parallel to the outdoor pistol range.   Of course it is bad to have buzzing pistol shots harrassing you as you change your two hundred yard target.

So the outdoor pistol range is shut down to have everyone on one firing line and no longer rely on the 8-9 foot jersey wall barrier so pistol shooters now can shoot on the rifle 25 yard line.   Then there was the issue of pistol shooters going forward of the firing benches there.

View Quote

I'm sorry but you have one range (the indoor Pistol) perpendicular to another?????  
From what little you have described..... the main issue is you (all) need to redesign the range lay out.
And put some money into your back stops.......  

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP:
When you say "steel core" .... do you mean Armor Piercing?  or the bimetal steel jacket type stuff?  
Either you have a proper backstop or you don't and either you have a good "safety fan" down range or you do not.  
Chewing up steel targets is one thing..... but they told you ricochet issues......
Higher velocity usually means the bullets break up (not stay together) so you'd have more issues with 22's, cowboy type lead bullets....
not Russian 7.62x39.  

I ASSUME they let you pick up your own brass so Apaco comments dont apply. .....
View Quote

The printed range rules say "steel core ammunition". Clarification of this prohibition is what revealed their concern with ricochets.

My belief is that controlled shooting of steel cored ammunition from a bench straight into a proper berm would not result in ricochets.

What I don't know is if they inspect all ammunition with a magnet and consider steel jacketed ammunition to be the same as steel core as I have seen at other ranges.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OP:
not Russian 7.62x39.  

View Quote

My outdoor range recently implemented the same thing. they started a bunch of construction all around their property and when I asked her why she brought out some steel core 762 projos. I told her that those rounds are pretty rare these days and dudes would be crazy to just shoot them off. Of course, many probably don't even realize what type of ammo they have. I've got a about 1k of chinese and German steel core ammo and I ain't shooting it any time soon!
ETA: I misread OP's post and thought he said steel-cased ammo. My range prohibits all steel-cased ammo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm sorry but you have one range (the indoor Pistol) perpendicular to another?????  
From what little you have described..... the main issue is you (all) need to redesign the range lay out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

no the pistol ranges are roughly in line of column.   Ie if you had x ray vision standing on the firing line you would be looking through the targrt/ iron slanted steel trap backstop, then the back block wall, over a small access road/ path at the back of the covered out door pistol range.  

The rifle range covered building with benches is off to the right and parallel to the outdoor pistol range but their building firing lines are not off set.

The outdoor pistol range was the newest added and it made more problems.  Don’t get me wrong, I want one open and not for bullseye type shooting.

Too many bad plans built up upon what was there.  Glad guys have ideas and action but now we have money and time invested to have these issues.

Things where it fails...

dumb asses break rules indoors defeating the 1950s era backstop design.  Needs, harder plates or different style and more ceiling mounted airborne bullet deflectors.  

The pistol and rifle firing lines should have been laid out with more thought than to preserve a tractor path behind the club house/ indoor range.

Berms on that pistol range were new and slumped.  Since added to but I would double them.  

Nothing is ever perfect but we’re pushing a year of that out door pistol range shut down....with plans to upgrade, mostly talking about the spaced overhead blocking baffles but also berm improvement.

As it is I was getting mixed messages re using out front or off to the side of benches when all alone on the range from management.  Not yelled at, just discussing how or set up inhibits any dcm type shooting other than off hand.  I use the bench a lot as a reload tinkerer but I don’t like getting stuck there.  it isn’t skill maintaining.  Our brand new replaced rifle range covered building looks great but blows in use.    Used to be pole barn style, open front to down range, independent benches.   A cable rope ran at bench level to remind you to go down range only at the center in a controlled fashion.....visible to others, etc.    The redesign replaced the cable with a front wall which all the benches are fixed to.  Every time a guy sets his bag down on a bench or cycles his bolt his actions vibrate your crosshairs on a target four benches away via that front wall.   That and now prone, sitting or kneeling to the side of the bench in your lane is totally not an option.  I discussed the issue with the current leadership and got the when alone move to the center access point and shoot from there.  (Which now is in conflict with latest emailed range directions)

I am a safety nut myself but seeing this drag on gets irritating.  Covid keeping our club half shut down doesn’t help.  I am sure it is no different at the club board meeting.

Well maybe I will get on a committee after I retire in a year or so and enjoy the inside track headache.  All the design issues are being tested by the dumbass brigade....like the guy walking forward of the firing line to shoot while the line was hot.  I wonder how people can come up with the thought process to do that.  

Just like government and lawyers time begets more rulings to impede due to the liability avoidance.  I get it but damn it gets old.  

We were semi free but damned if we aren’t down to indoor smallbore rifle, bullseye style pistol, and bench only deer gun sight ins. Even covid eliminated winter clay target shooting as the guys that run it are all over a certain age and have legitimate covid health concerns being in a full building running the sign up desk.  

things are what they are.

I am not knocking our crew but there are a lot of unfortunate predicaments that are having effects.

At least I have my own personal 50 yard range at home. I don’t use it that much under 15 degrees though.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The printed range rules say "steel core ammunition". Clarification of this prohibition is what revealed their concern with ricochets.

My belief is that controlled shooting of steel cored ammunition from a bench straight into a proper berm would not result in ricochets.

What I don't know is if they inspect all ammunition with a magnet and consider steel jacketed ammunition to be the same as steel core as I have seen at other ranges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP:
not Russian 7.62x39.  

To be honest.... I realize you aren't going to confront them or argue....
After going thru alot of RSO classes and sortta having the same issue at one of my clubs.....
I'd say this:
A properly constructed impact berm will collect most bullets.
The ones that do escape should be deformed and have spent alot of their energy in the berm and so will land in the impact zone safely.  
To be honest, you have to have both a good berm and an impact area.
No berm will catch every bullet, no matter what.
But then it's also unrealistic to think that by banning one type of ammo, you'll eliminate ricochets either.    

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

no the pistol ranges are roughly in line of column.   Ie if you had x ray vision standing on the firing line you would be looking through the targrt/ iron slanted steel trap backstop, then the back block wall, over a small access road/ path at the back of the covered out door pistol range.  

The rifle range covered building with benches is off to the right and parallel to the outdoor pistol range but their building firing lines are not off set.

The outdoor pistol range was the newest added and it made more problems.  Don’t get me wrong, I want one open and not for bullseye type shooting.

Too many bad plans built up upon what was there.  Glad guys have ideas and action but now we have money and time invested to have these issues.

Things where it fails...

dumb asses break rules indoors defeating the 1950s era backstop design.  Needs, harder plates or different style and more ceiling mounted airborne bullet deflectors.  

The pistol and rifle firing lines should have been laid out with more thought than to preserve a tractor path behind the club house/ indoor range.

Berms on that pistol range were new and slumped.  Since added to but I would double them.  

Nothing is ever perfect but we’re pushing a year of that out door pistol range shut down....with plans to upgrade, mostly talking about the spaced overhead blocking baffles but also berm improvement.

As it is I was getting mixed messages re using out front or off to the side of benches when all alone on the range from management.  Not yelled at, just discussing how or set up inhibits any dcm type shooting other than off hand.  I use the bench a lot as a reload tinkerer but I don’t like getting stuck there.  it isn’t skill maintaining.  Our brand new replaced rifle range covered building looks great but blows in use.    Used to be pole barn style, open front to down range, independent benches.   A cable rope ran at bench level to remind you to go down range only at the center in a controlled fashion.....visible to others, etc.    The redesign replaced the cable with a front wall which all the benches are fixed to.  Every time a guy sets his bag down on a bench or cycles his bolt his actions vibrate your crosshairs on a target four benches away via that front wall.   That and now prone, sitting or kneeling to the side of the bench in your lane is totally not an option.  I discussed the issue with the current leadership and got the when alone move to the center access point and shoot from there.  (Which now is in conflict with latest emailed range directions)

I am a safety nut myself but seeing this drag on gets irritating.  Covid keeping our club half shut down doesn’t help.  I am sure it is no different at the club board meeting.

Well maybe I will get on a committee after I retire in a year or so and enjoy the inside track headache.  All the design issues are being tested by the dumbass brigade....like the guy walking forward of the firing line to shoot while the line was hot.  I wonder how people can come up with the thought process to do that.  

Just like government and lawyers time begets more rulings to impede due to the liability avoidance.  I get it but damn it gets old.  

We were semi free but damned if we aren’t down to indoor smallbore rifle, bullseye style pistol, and bench only deer gun sight ins. Even covid eliminated winter clay target shooting as the guys that run it are all over a certain age and have legitimate covid health concerns being in a full building running the sign up desk.  

I am not knocking our crew but there are a lot of unfortunate predicaments that are having effects.

At least I have my own personal 50 yard range at home. I don’t use it that much under 15 degrees though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Things where it fails...

Don't laugh when I say this...... just friendly advice......
It seems you all are lost in the forest due to the trees.....  
You all haven't thought all this thru......

Are you influential enough to suggest an outside survey or inspection?
What I mean is the NRA has range Inspectors/Advisers who will come out and give suggestions of how to improve a range.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top