Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2023 11:15:11 AM EDT
Is there anything that Otis CLP does not do as well? How about cold temperature?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
‘Cold temps’ varies by location. A lot of lubes have issues around 20f and below for example. Cherry Balm’s winter balm, LAW, and Slip2000 do well subzero.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It really depends on a lot of factor outside of just the base oil. How much you put on and in what way and in what temp. Could make a lot of difference or none at all.

From my experience, you don't really see a lot of difference so long as the temp is above 30 degrees. Once you get into the 20s, 10s, 0s, or minuses, that's when certain lubes will work and others won't.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:53:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#4]
I would think Otis Clp is made by one of the known manufacturers. I thought several years ago it was stated.  I can’t remember who it was. FP10 or something.  Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
You might have already tested the best oil for your rifle and not even know it. You go in your car, it starts right up, and you drive to the range with it right? Wanna know what's the best oil for that temp is? Take out the dipstick and use that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Going from hot to cold has an effect also. I learned the hard way not to keep my M16 inside my sleeping bag during extreme cold weather. The Break Free CLP was still good but the condensation due to going from a warm sleeping bag inside a heated GP medium tent to single digits or minus temps froze the M16 up. Things you learn the hard way as a young private
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
I would think Otis Clp is made by one of the known manufacturers. I thought several years ago it was stated.  I can’t remember who it was. FP10 or something.  Wardawg
View Quote

They have several kinds.
The stinky one you speak of, the environmentally, friendly, CLP, and the normal CLP. So far I'm just dumping out theirs from the awesome lil bottles and filling with break free. The one thing that irks me about break free is the food coloring.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So forgive the seeming absurdity of the question, but.... should i wash bottle when i dump out the otis to fill with break free?

I did this with the pf10 or whatever cuz it stank, and it was a PITA to douche out the tiny bottle and dry everything, esp the two-piece cap. Should i avoid mixing the oils?

I mean who knows, its like the time the break free turned blue cuz the dye reacted the dropper bottle
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 2:00:53 AM EDT
[#9]
You generally don't want different lubes to mix, some don't react well with others.  IMO you can get needle oiler bottles in bulk for $5-6 on Amazon, that's what I do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:41:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Goody454] [#10]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Going from hot to cold has an effect also. I learned the hard way not to keep my M16 inside my sleeping bag during extreme cold weather. The Break Free CLP was still good but the condensation due to going from a warm sleeping bag inside a heated GP medium tent to single digits or minus temps froze the M16 up. Things you learn the hard way as a young private
View Quote

I think the OP means will it gum up in cold temps. I never had a problem with Break Free CLP (shooting) down to ZERO degrees.
I’m sure there are better cold weather lubes out there, but for an AR15 it will be fine. A Mk19 or M2 would probably disagree though.

Also. You had a heated tent to sleep in…!?!?

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
You generally don't want different lubes to mix, some don't react well with others.  IMO you can get needle oiler bottles in bulk for $5-6 on Amazon, that's what I do.
View Quote

I LOVE my 1/2oz otis bottle.
I'm not switching to another, the only question is whether I dump out the otis clp.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top