Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2021 10:36:51 PM EDT
Hello, I'm new here so I'm not sure if this the best spot to ask this, seems like its about right though.  Right now I have a TRS25 that a friend is letting me use but my eyesight is terrible!  Bindon aiming is a no-go.  When I try, my eyes can't line up the image correctly so instead, I just go crosseyed.  Glasses just give me headaches and Lasik really isn't in the cards.  So, that makes me wonder what the best optics for poor eyesight might be, budget of about $400.  Was thinking of prism scopes and LPVOs but not sure what's out there people like other than Primary Arms or the super expensive stuff like Trijicon ACOG and VCOG scopes.  It'd be going on a defensive/SHTF build, if that needed to be said.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon ACOG IS BULLIT PROOF
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The thing about the ACOG is that it has a very short eye relief and the Bindon Aiming Concept isn't exactly as precise as it sounds. The idea is sort of like the older Armson OEG scope where you're looking at it and interposing the tritium with what you see out front. However, the optic is unforgiving for people with eye sight problems. It's a fixed optic and it means just that. You probably wouldn't be able to make out the individual lines or text on it so the drop will be completely useless.

My advice is to look at the VCOG. It has a focus adjustment built into the eye piece so you can adjust the optic hopefully to your vision issue. The only issue I have with the VCOG is that it is a first focal plane optic meaning that as you adjust the magnification, the reticle size changes. I don't really like that.

I have an alternative, much cheaper solution for you. The Vortex Viper PST 1-6. I bought one earlier last year because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on my Mark 12 build. The optic is just as good as the higher end models. The Viper PST is comparable to the Vortex Razor HD with some loss in quality but you probably wouldn't notice unless you had something like the VCOG to compare it against. The optic is also a second focal plane so the reticle remains the same no matter the magnification. Only issue is the magnification adjustment is really hard to do without buying a secondary piece to make it easier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Look hard at a Burris RT6
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#5]
So far, RT6 and PST II are on my shortlist!  Along with the PA ACSS Raptor.  Friend of mine has one and its pretty nice from what I've seen, even if the lighting is meh.  Oh, and what about Swampfox LPVOs?  People seem to like them even though they're new.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I would talk to an optometrist before you buy anything.

As for PA, Swampfox, etc. It's all Chinese stuff. Only buy whatever has been around longest. Their warranties are all basically the same due to poor quality.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#7]
What'd have been around longest, then?  And yeah I know its not the best but my budget is about $400.  I work part time and am saving for a lot of stuff, so I want the best options with that in mind.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What'd have been around longest, then?  And yeah I know its not the best but my budget is about $400.  I work part time and am saving for a lot of stuff, so I want the best options with that in mind.
View Quote

A prismatic optic or LPVO would be in that range and have an adjustable diopter to fit your vision.  Personally, I'd keep an eye on the EE here and try to snag a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x.  Incredibly solid scope and since there is a new version out, you can usually snag one for under $300.  That would leave plenty for a mount and extras.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#9]
You may be left eye dominant. Try both eyes open shooting left handed.

There isn't any rule saying you have to shoot with both eyes open. If it's causing you problems stop. It's more important to get a good sight picture and trigger control than to have increased peripheral vision.

Some people simply don't like both eyes open and it's more confusing than comfortable for them to do so. Use what works for you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Get glasses.

I learned to shoot lefty years ago, became a good shot.  Got glasses, became a great shot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I suppose this thread is a bit moot as I found out my GF got me a Primary Arms 1x prism!  Thank you though, everything else looked nice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I wear corrective glasses but have a pretty severe astigmatism... I shot a Trij ACOG 4x32 for 3 gun without a problem... over the years I tried a variety of different lens combinations, and had good luck with a set of mono vision glasses with my near vision in my right (dominant) eye and distance vision in my left when I was shooting a fixed sight pistol... it would take me about 30 minutes to get used to them as I wore normal bi focals the rest of the time

you might try a prism scope with the reticle etched on the prism.. my Vortex Spitfire could be diopter adjusted to give me a pretty clear sight picture although I did not like the double circle reticle design, but much better than the starburst from most dot scopes

today I use a Holosun 510 or 507c and shoot the brightest portion of the dot for Steel Challenge with a 10/22

cataract surgery on the new years list
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top