Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2018 5:38:44 PM EDT
I read some of the threads posted regarding use of Red Dots and Astigmatism. I have purchased a Vortex AR Sparc before learning what effect an Astigmatism has on them. I wear contacts that correct for Astigmatism , but while I can use it the dot is blurry enough of a distraction that I'd like to try something else. I discovered some people address this issue with the use a BUIS flipped up  which if I saw correctly is just the back up and not the front sight as well. With that being the cheapest option, I'm working on getting one used of the EE.

I've learned that my other options are to use a Holographic , Reflex or Red Dot Prism Scope. I've seen a number of comments about the AR Spitfire which seems appealing for the price. I learned about the upcoming Primary Arm's Cyclone today that was shown at the Shot Show which they said is great for those with an Astigmatism.

I don't have much readily available access to shoot outdoors ( maybe a couple times in the summer and no more than 100 Yards or so ) so it's pretty much just an optic needed for indoor use shooting .22LR  out of 4.5" or 9" Barrel.  I have a 10.5 " LWRC upper that comes out once in a while.  It would be nice to be able to move the optic around between uppers if needed. Given the access to where I can shoot I don't really see a need for Magnification other than it possibly helping with the Astigmatism clarity.  I'm looking for advice on an optic.

I'd like to keep it below $300 or so if possible and would probably sell 1 or even both of my Vortex Sparc's to offset the cost.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for same interest.  Have been tracking a few of the Holosun offerings, like that 503gu that has a concentric ringed reticle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I hadn't looked at that model. Being a Red Dot wouldn't that still be prone to getting blurred out ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've read that something about the rings can help the clarity, sort of like using irons.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I think busnell is coming out with a new sight with an etched reticle.   I’m waiting for that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've read that something about the rings can help the clarity, sort of like using irons.
View Quote
If it's projected the same way as a red dot, then the ring should blur the same way.

I use irons to help clean up the dot from the slight astigmatism I have. I can go without, but I prefer having the irons anyway.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My experience indicates the only solution (for me) is an optic with a diopter adjustment on the ocular lens.  It could be a regular variable scope or a fixed magnification prism scope, but the diopter adjustment allows you to get the "dot" looking as close to a dot as you can get.

Red dots, holographic sights, and anything without a diopter adjustment just doesn't work as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Mousegunner

I read the same thing about the Diopter adjustment. Which ones do you have experience with that you liked or disliked ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
IMO, you really only need a crisp reticle if you are shooting for groups over 100yds.  For close in stuff, I don't think it makes much difference if the reticle is a blob.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I also have an astigmatism as well and I had a similar issue. I used a few optics EoTechs aimpoints and several variable power optics. My astigmatism is moderate and the eotech was by far the worst to look though the reticle looked like a giant red blob. I still have a a few aimpoints but the dot is still blurry when I don’t use my prescription lenses but manageable for me as i primarily use it within 100yards. The variable power optic is absolutely the way to go if you want a clear reticle. I currently run a trijicon accupoint tr24g and looking through it the reticle and everything inside the field of view is crystal clear as though I was wearing my prescription glasses and at 1x it shoots pretty damn close to a traditional red dot sight. If you want to stay in $300 price range maybe look one the offerings from vortex or primary arms.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have slight astigmatism brought on by Lasik. A 4 moa aimpoint looked like a cluster of grapes in low light unless I dialed it down real low. But dialed down low, it wasn't a cluster of grapes anymore but I could barely see the dot. On a sunny day, it looked fine no matter how high I had it dialed up.

I got a Meprolight M21 with the triangle reticle and it was perfect.

On another rifle, I got a 2 moa dot from Primary Arms at a good price and it was perfect. I thought maybe my eyes adjusted so I tried the 4 moa again. No good. Back to a cluster of grapes.

For me a small 2 moa dot or a solid triangle did the trick.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Vortex ar prism scope is my answer.  It also has an adjustable diopter.  Check it out.

PS.

I have astigmatism in both eyes and it works for me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mousegunner

I read the same thing about the Diopter adjustment. Which ones do you have experience with that you liked or disliked ?

Thanks
View Quote
I've had good luck with any of the low power variable 1-X scopes I have, from the lower priced to the much more expensive ones.  I tried a Vortex 1x fixed prism scope and the reticle was crisp, but the scope itself just didn'd work for me.  I'd assume any scope with an etched reticle, either fixed or variable, would be okay.

I've learned to live with some blurriness with red dots.  The Holosun ones seem the best of the lot that I've tried.  I also picked up a Primary Arms 3x magnified with a diopter adjustment, and that cleans up the reticle when its in use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#13]
PRISM SCOPE
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#14]
My astigmatism isn’t too bad, I use aimpoint pro/micro and acogs.

Eotech’s were an issue
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Acog, facog, Primary arms acss reticle works for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IMO, you really only need a crisp reticle if you are shooting for groups over 100yds.  For close in stuff, I don't think it makes much difference if the reticle is a blob.
View Quote
Superset , I have to ask. Wouldn't you find a blurry optic a distraction ? I guess it works for close in stuff and it does for my needs but it would be nice and as I'm trying to improve my aim a blurred dot seems counter productive.

It does seem from what people are saying I should look into a prism scope of some kind.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#17]
If you're like me and have a bad the problem is what we called blooming. And almost any electro-optical powrered optic will have it.

The solution for me is reflex style sights.  The reflex, the tripower, the new reflex, the meprolight (with a non video game reticle, stick to the triangle), dual illum rmr

The only powered optic I was able to use well was in po Tech with the brightness setting on one out of 10 and a 3x magnifier..    bit that's only a useful setup some of the time.  Otherwise, I'd have to power up and massive bloom.

I resigned myself that there is no real solution my I simply cannot focus on so many things at once that is the problem is the ability to focus well. The only real solution is an occluded style Gun Sight and two eyes open .

The fastest ican be is with the original reflex sight large triangle and it's polarizing filters set on dark and two eyes open.

For precision, it's tough but maybe the meprolight large triangle. But then you run into optic size issues and back up sights.

The last AR I built, I chose to go the eotech route, low mounted, but I did keep it on its lowest setting and used a Troy buis set with the front always up to help me same plane focus when it washed out.  The reticle always rested on the front sight tip and it was a large ghost rig when it needed to be.

Try it, you'll see.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have astigmatism and owned 3 red dot Aimpoint PRO, H1 and Eotech EXPS3-0.  The worst out of those 3 were the PRO. I happen to stop by a LGS and look through the MRO and it was a lot better then any RDS I owned. I don't know if anybody had the same experience but I would check out different RDS and find one that work better for your eye.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Superset , I have to ask. Wouldn't you find a blurry optic a distraction ? I guess it works for close in stuff and it does for my needs but it would be nice and as I'm trying to improve my aim a blurred dot seems counter productive.

It does seem from what people are saying I should look into a prism scope of some kind.
View Quote
Yeah, for sure, it can be a distraction but only if you're looking at the reticle. And you only need to do that if you're shooting a target at some distance. For close in <100yds, I don't think it makes a difference because you're focusing on the target.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Using the dot with the BUIS up really helps me  - mild to moderate astigmatism. If you already like Vortex optics, consider their Strike Eagle 1-6 or 1-8. If you just want 1x in a small package, take a look at their Spitfire 1x
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I have horrible eye sight and a pretty bad astigmatism.

I went back to a red dot. While it's still a big blur and at sometimes, the reticle is almost a line, I like them for what they are, especially since it really doesn't matter shooting under 100 yards.
I had EOTechs that were nice and clear with the 2 moa dot. I would vote to get a used EOTech, and trying that out. If it isn't your thing, you can always sell it for a profit or little loss... EOTechs hold their value pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Every red dot optic I have shows me the blurry/strung out dot/streak as an aiming point.  From the Aimpoint to the Lucid to the PA models (the new one with the 50,000 hr. battery life).

I have a couple PA scopes and a couple Bushnell scopes with illuminated dots in the center of the lens and they are nice clear clean red dots when the switch is "on".
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Primary Arms has a brand new 1X Prism with an illuminated etched reticle coming out...check it out.
Primary Arms Cyclops 1X Prism Scope
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Primary Arms has a brand new 1X Prism with an illuminated etched reticle coming out...check it out.
Primary Arms Cyclops 1X Prism Scope
View Quote
This does look interesting , I wasn't sure when it was coming other than one of the guys at the show said maybe Q2 in the Spring. I'll have to try and see when it's coming out.  I'll have to check out my freinds EOTECH again, I've used it at the range a few times on SBR 22lr and didn't recall any blooming just not used to the reticle circle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Vortex ar prism scope is my answer.  It also has an adjustable diopter.  Check it out.

PS.

I have astigmatism in both eyes and it works for me.
View Quote
+1 on this.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]
ACOG works perfectly for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Guys. I did end up with a Vortex Spitfire 3X . It does look crystal clear. Hoping to get it out to the range soon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This does look interesting , I wasn't sure when it was coming other than one of the guys at the show said maybe Q2 in the Spring. I'll have to try and see when it's coming out.  I'll have to check out my freinds EOTECH again, I've used it at the range a few times on SBR 22lr and didn't recall any blooming just not used to the reticle circle.
View Quote
Saying late summer now
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ACOG works perfectly for me.
View Quote
Not for me though. I was super disappointed, as I hadn't look through an ACOG in years. I figured an LED ACO would be fine since my Steyr AUG optics (not illuminated) are perfect, even for my astigmatism. But my dominant eye (worse astigmatism) made the ACOG look horrible. With or without the LED on. Weird, but it is what it is. Outside of wearing glass or contacts all the time. And outside of AUG scopes. I guess I'd have to go the adjustable ocular route on LPVs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Dont spend money on optics trying to mitigate astigmatism. Spend the money on PRK or LASEK (not LASIK) and enjoy crisp red dots, clear scopes, binoculars, and spotting scopes. Asking what optic you should get due to astigmatism is like asking what trigger you should get to make you milspec barrel shoot better than 4MOA groups with match ammo. It is a fools folly. Just do it right the first time and the right way... or suffer endless diappointments till you figure out what you should have done from the start.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dont spend money on optics trying to mitigate astigmatism. Spend the money on PRK or LASEK (not LASIK) and enjoy crisp red dots, clear scopes, binoculars, and spotting scopes. Asking what optic you should get due to astigmatism is like asking what trigger you should get to make you milspec barrel shoot better than 4MOA groups with match ammo. It is a fools folly. Just do it right the first time and the right way... or suffer endless diappointments till you figure out what you should have done from the start.
View Quote
Good laser eye surgery starts at 4-6x what the one optic you'll buy costs. And there are still risks with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good laser eye surgery starts at 4-6x what the one optic you'll buy costs. And there are still risks with it.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not fond of the idea of some guy shooting lasers into my eyes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:28:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I’ve been very happy with the Vortex Stitfire. It’s a prism scope. I use the 1x but they also make a 3x. They come with red & green colors in each scope. They have enough brighrness to be bright in daylight and since the reticlebis etched. They can be used without illumination.

I believe the 1x can be found for $250 and the 3x for $350. They are covered by Vortex’s lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not everyone is a good candidate for eye surgery nor does everyone have the combination of finances/insurance coverage to make it affordable.  Maybe the surgery has changed dramatically in the past decade, but it wasn't an option for me when I discussed with my eye doc about 8 years back.  I should probably ask again, but I reject the basis of your response that a technical discussion on optics to mitigate the effects of astigmatism is a waste of time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#36]
A little late to the conversation but I wanted to add that I have perfect vision and a slight astigmatism in my dominant eye, so traditional projected red dots all look like blobs of light to me. I can't sharpen them up enough to be useful. Granted, that's just some lower price ones like Bushnell and a Vortex or two.

But the fix for me was going to the Vortex Spitfire AR Prism. I like that it runs on a single AAA (I have tons of Eneloops and they're easy to swap out as/when needed), and the etched reticle is easy to see lit or not.

Reflex sights work well too, but I couldn't afford the one I wanted so I went this way. I shoot irons on my other ARs and traditional scopes on my other rifles.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top