BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2021 3:46:06 PM EDT
Hello,

I'm looking for opinions on the right optic for am SPR AR-15 build. It will have a 20" barrel and my expectation is for it to shoot 500-600 yards. I know there are varying thoughts on magnification ranges for this type of rifle and I'm interested in hearing your recommendation s and the why. My price range is $800ish-1300ish dollars. I plan on running a 45 degree offset RDS so I don't need 1x, but don't want to go as high as a 5-25 due to the scope making the rifle to heavy. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Razor 1-6 or Razor 1-8
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I do currently have a delta Stryker 1-6 for another AR15. My plan was to make this a bit more of a precision AR15 with a bipod but yet still capable in a pinch for close in(offset RDS). I had considered trying a 1-8 or 1-10 but was wondering if a little more magnification would help with those 400-600ish yard shots.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat.

I was looking hard at the Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42. Also looked at the Viper PST II 3-15. Credo HX was 5 Oz lighter and I like the reticle more, but it's an extra $250 when times are tight.

I've held off hoping for Memorial Day Sales or something compelling to push me over the edge.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2.5-15 on my 20" DMR and think it is about perfect.  I wouldn't go with a high mag LPVO as you lose too much light and eyebox on the top.  I also have an offset reflex for close up, but have no problem getting on target quickly @ 2.5x with the scope.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. I do currently have a delta Stryker 1-6 for another AR15. My plan was to make this a bit more of a precision AR15 with a bipod but yet still capable in a pinch for close in(offset RDS). I had considered trying a 1-8 or 1-10 but was wondering if a little more magnification would help with those 400-600ish yard shots.
View Quote

Ok then maybe the Primary Arms GLX 2-10
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
@S4
Hey, that's actually really good feedback. As I still want a decent eye box and a scope that's easy enough to get behind. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
That'd be on my short list. I wish I could have the simpler Raptor BDC look but based on Mils like the Griffin.

Trijicon Accupoints too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, really appreciate the options and inputs!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the process of building a 18" DMR type of build myself.  Ordered all the parts and am waiting for them to arrive.  I decided to try the GLx 2.5-10x with the ACSS reticle.  I have no problem hitting steel plates at 600 yards (if I read the wind) with my 16" and Delta Stryker 1-6, so I knew that I didn't need a ton more magnification.  The ACSS reticle makes things simple with not having to remember MIL holdovers.  I haven't received the optic yet, but I hope the glass is decent enough.

The other optics I was considering were the Accupoint 2.5-10 and 2.5-12.5x.  Was also looking at the Vortex Razor 3-15x, but 15x magnification with a SFP scope might have been too much.  I didn't want something too heavy so I tried to look for optics under 22 ounces.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of building a 18" DMR type of build myself.  Ordered all the parts and am waiting for them to arrive.  I decided to try the GLx 2.5-10x with the ACSS reticle.  I have no problem hitting steel plates at 600 yards (if I read the wind) with my 16" and Delta Stryker 1-6, so I knew that I didn't need a ton more magnification.  The ACSS reticle makes things simple with not having to remember MIL holdovers.  I haven't received the optic yet, but I hope the glass is decent enough.

The other optics I was considering were the Accupoint 2.5-10 and 2.5-12.5x.  Was also looking at the Vortex Razor 3-15x, but 15x magnification with a SFP scope might have been too much.  I didn't want something too heavy so I tried to look for optics under 22 ounces.
View Quote

I have the Delta Stryker 1-6 as well, love it, how do you like yours?

I'm caught in the same boat. Would like a little more magnification than 10 but also don't want the gun to be too heavy! I'll check those scopes out :)
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have the Delta Stryker 1-6 as well, love it, how do you like yours?

I'm caught in the same boat. Would like a little more magnification than 10 but also don't want the gun to be too heavy! I'll check those scopes out :)
View Quote

I've been preaching the Stryker to anyone who will listen.  The only question about it is the durability, but I've already dropped the rifle on its side and it didn't shatter (I know that doesn't mean anything lol).

Yeah, I was trying to keep the budget under $1000 and ended up considerably under that.  If you have some patience (I don't) you can pick up something used too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the right answer, the GLx 2-10, this scope is a lot of scope for the money. I have one on my DMR.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've been preaching the Stryker to anyone who will listen.  The only question about it is the durability, but I've already dropped the rifle on its side and it didn't shatter (I know that doesn't mean anything lol).

Yeah, I was trying to keep the budget under $1000 and ended up considerably under that.  If you have some patience (I don't) you can pick up something used too.
View Quote

Man, I've been doing the same thing! I think it's by far the best deal on an LPVO. I hope honestly couldn't be happier with it. I got it before they bumped the price up a bit as well.

Good call, I'm in the information gathering stage right now. I'm gonna make sure I make a slow and informed decision, my wife is going to hurt me if I keep buying things just to find something better in a month and want to sale and rebuy haha
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is the right answer, the GLx 2-10, this scope is a lot of scope for the money. I have one on my DMR.
View Quote

Really? I am definitely going to research this out. Do you ever wish you had more magnification at distance or is 10 good enough for that 5-600 yard range. Also, is this a daylight bright or daylight visible illuminated reticle? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Really? I am definitely going to research this out. Do you ever wish you had more magnification at distance or is 10 good enough for that 5-600 yard range. Also, is this a daylight bright or daylight visible illuminated reticle? Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 good, I have the same scope in 4-16 on my Grendel. Has a slightly different reticle PA no longer sells.

More daylight visible on the chevron. It is not Razor bright.

ETA: I like dialing my scopes not using the reticle after 200 yds. using my StrelokPro on my phone or IPad. The locking turrets and zero stop are some best in it’s price range, in fact beat scopes at twice the price. That is why I like the chevron, it would be perfect if it was a bit brighter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
How small a target do you want to see?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

10 good, I have the same scope in 4-16 on my Grendel. Has a slightly different reticle PA no longer sells.

More daylight visible on the chevron. It is not Razor bright.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How small a target do you want to see?
View Quote

Something like a Watermelon at 500-600 should be sufficient
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on how small of a target you're trying to hit. 10x is plenty of mag for a man sized target at those ranges. When you start talking about hitting a 4" gong at the same range, it becomes a different story. As far as suggestions, Euro optic has the PST 3-15 with the discontinued(but still good) reticle for $570 right now. If you don't mind weight, that scope is incredible value for that price.

edit: Didn't see your last post, you'll probably wish you had more than 10x mag if you're trying to hit a watermelon
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Pffft. That's about 2 MOA. A bit tough with a 4x. No problemo with 10x.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
For those pondering the PA GLX 2.5-10x44, it's LOW LIGHT VISIBLE ONLY AT BEST. Also, ONLY the center chevron illuminates, unlike the PLX.

Also, the eye relief used to be ~2.75", then someone on the hide wanted one and asked around about the griffin mil version and Marshall went and changed the eye relief specs... so beware of the real eye relief. Last I checked the raptor version still has the original ~2.75" eye relief spec. Yet, when the same question's come up elsewhere, like here, crickets.

Now, if one can live with this, it seems to be a damn nice scope.

Videeyoh
DLO First Look: Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10x44 FFP w/ Griffin Mil reticle

There's other videos that show the same, but Ilya does a better job of actually showing people what's important and talking in the background, instead of talking in front of the camera and rolling video of the reticle and illumination in the background or for 20 seconds of a 10min (monetization length) video, so he gets the clicks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Depends on how small of a target you're trying to hit. 10x is plenty of mag for a man sized target at those ranges. When you start talking about hitting a 4" gong at the same range, it becomes a different story. As far as suggestions, Euro optic has the PST 3-15 with the discontinued(but still good) reticle for $570 right now. If you don't mind weight, that scope is incredible value for that price.

edit: Didn't see your last post, you'll probably wish you had more than 10x mag if you're trying to hit a watermelon
View Quote

Good information, thanks for the heads up about the Viper 3-15. I have had several people mention that one to me. That seems to be taking the lead tbh. I was originally planning on a 1-10 LPVO, then when I decide on the 20" barrel, bipod etc I figured maybe something more than 10x would be nice. The downside as you noted is weight. I'm still trying to decide that one, kind of the last big hurtle. BTW guys I'm planning on putting this on a Leadstar grunt base, but changing the barrel, stock, BCG etc to fit what I'm going for. Probably a 20" criterion hybrid profile.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pffft. That's about 2 MOA. A bit tough with a 4x. No problemo with 10x.
View Quote

I'm definitely taking this into consideration. My brother has a Razor gen 3 1-10, I figure it would probably be perfect on my set up, but alas it's his and I can't afford that. Haha.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For those pondering the PA GLX 2.5-10x44, it's LOW LIGHT VISIBLE ONLY AT BEST. Also, ONLY the center chevron illuminates, unlike the PLX.

Also, the eye relief used to be ~2.75", then someone on the hide wanted one and asked around about the griffin mil version and Marshall went and changed the eye relief specs... so beware of the real eye relief. Last I checked the raptor version still has the original ~2.75" eye relief spec. Yet, when the same question's come up elsewhere, like here, crickets.

Now, if one can live with this, it seems to be a damn nice scope.

Videeyoh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGSJKrjiWCU

There's other videos that show the same, but Ilya does a better job of actually showing people what's important and talking in the background, instead of talking in front of the camera and rolling video of the reticle and illumination in the background or for 20 seconds of a 10min (monetization length) video, so he gets the clicks.
View Quote

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I would look at the Bushnell Elite 4.5-18x44. Great optic for those ranges. I use one on my SCAR 20S.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm definitely taking this into consideration. My brother has a Razor gen 3 1-10, I figure it would probably be perfect on my set up, but alas it's his and I can't afford that. Haha.
View Quote

If you don't need 1x, you don't need an LPVO.  A 2-10 would be better than a 1-10 unless you need 1x, which you don't based on the OP
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is an incredible value right now and at that price it'll be easy to get your $ back out of it down the road if you want to upgrade. Very good eyebox and one of the widest fov in its class. Only downside is its a bit big and heavy. It's ffp so you don't have to have it on max mag to use the holds. Its very nice on 10x where you won't have the picky eyebox you get with a scope that's maxed out. The illumination is surprisingly bright. Almost daylight bright with a fresh battery. I haven't shot it a lot but on 3x it with the good eyebox, fov, and thick posts it seems easy to snap shoot with both eyes open. If your getting one I'd get the scope 1st and assess whether you need a offset dot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat.

I was looking hard at the Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42. Also looked at the Viper PST II 3-15. Credo HX was 5 Oz lighter and I like the reticle more, but it's an extra $250 when times are tight.

I've held off hoping for Memorial Day Sales or something compelling to push me over the edge.
View Quote

There's a 3-15 Vortex Razor LHT with a similar reticle to that Trijicon. 19 ounces for the x42 on either MOA or MRAD, there's also a x50 version. It has a locking elevation turret. I think both the LHT and HX go for around $1k.
https://vortexoptics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LHT+
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#29]
First spr I went with a Mk4 4.5-14x50, 2nd was PA glx4 4-16x50.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks guys, I have been researching many of your options today. Vortex, Delta, Bushnell and tract as companies are really standing out to me in the price ranges. I'm thinking a 3-15 minimum or 4-20 maximum scope right now. The problem is the 4-20 are on the heavy side, specifically the tract toric 4-20, but man it's a sweet looking scope, same thing is true for Brownells 3-18, heavy. The Viper 3-15x looks promising as well as the Delta 2.5-15, but not sure that's a "tactical scope" though I'm not sure what constitutes"tactical" outside of turret types with these types of scopes, Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 is also an option. Inputs and critiques welcome on these! I really with the Bushnell XTR III 3-18 had illumination, I might would pay what is necessary for it if it did, but alas illumination is a necessity.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, I have been researching many of your options today. Vortex, Delta, Bushnell and tract as companies are really standing out to me in the price ranges. I'm thinking a 3-15 minimum or 4-20 maximum scope right now. The problem is the 4-20 are on the heavy side, specifically the tract toric 4-20, but man it's a sweet looking scope, same thing is true for Brownells 3-18, heavy. The Viper 3-15x looks promising as well as the Delta 2.5-15, but not sure that's a "tactical scope" though I'm not sure what constitutes"tactical" outside of turret types with these types of scopes, Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 is also an option. Inputs and critiques welcome on these! I really with the Bushnell XTR III 3-18 had illumination, I might would pay what is necessary for it if it did, but alas illumination is a necessity.
View Quote

As much as I love my Delta Stryker 1-6, I would discount 2.5-15 as it looks catered towards hunting with the capped turrets, simple duplex with no holdovers, and lack of adjustable parallax. The PST 3-15 was a loved scope at full retail of $800, and at 570 its a steal imo. Also, Vortex has a shit load of fan boys so they keep their resale value better than other optics. I would not wager money on if I could sell my stryker for what I got it and it's pretty rare to meet someone in the States who's even heard of them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#32]
NF 2.5-10 x 32 works well...the "Zero Stop" feature is a plus.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As much as I love my Delta Stryker 1-6, I would discount 2.5-15 as it looks catered towards hunting with the capped turrets, simple duplex with no holdovers, and lack of adjustable parallax. The PST 3-15 was a loved scope at full retail of $800, and at 570 its a steal imo. Also, Vortex has a shit load of fan boys so they keep their resale value better than other optics. I would not wager money on if I could sell my stryker for what I got it and it's pretty rare to meet someone in the States who's even heard of them.
View Quote

Excellent point!
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/gHtHmZG.jpg
View Quote

That is a sweet set up! What is your max distance you shoot with that usually?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Leupold Mark 3HD 3-9x40 looks promising. I have it’s predecessor the VX-R Patrol 3-9 and the glass is pretty nice. Better than the PST for sure. It’s also very light at 15 ounces.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That is a sweet set up! What is your max distance you shoot with that usually?
View Quote

Thanks Bruv...the majority, 300 yards (Gun Club's max.), but have stretched it out to 600 using BH 77gr. when visiting a friend's farm in TN.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Leupold Mark 3HD 3-9x40 looks promising. I have it’s predecessor the VX-R Patrol 3-9 and the glass is pretty nice. Better than the PST for sure. It’s also very light at 15 ounces.
View Quote

Came here to suggest the same thing.  A Mk 3HD 3-9x40 with mil/mil reticle (illuminated Firedot TMR) and matching turrets would be virtually perfect for a DMR role on an 18" (or even 16") SPR type build with a Recce or SPR profile match stainless barrel.  If 1x is desired, throw on a small light mini-reflex red dot like RMR or Deltapoint Pro.  If you QD mount the scope you could  even "hot swap" it with a pre-sighted higher power variable scope topping out at 24x or so for true precision shooting.

The combo in DMR configuration is incredibly versatile.  This is my Recce-type with VX-R Patrol Firedot TMR and Deltapoint Pro.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Vortex pst 2.5-10x32 FFP

Gen1 or 2, doesn’t matter.

It’s doubtful you will find a better scope with good warranty and similar features for your budget. For guys not wanting to spend nightforce money, this scope has been regarded for a long time as an acceptable replacement.

Even though I do have experience with that optic, dont take my word for it. Do some additional research and you will see the vortex 2.5-10 being the choice of many.

Others here have posted great options as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#39]
What is the draw of these 2-10ish scopes with a 24 or 32 bell? They don't seem to have an appreciable weight savings.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What is the draw of these 2-10ish scopes with a 24 or 32 bell? They don't seem to have an appreciable weight savings.
View Quote

Just which 2-10ish scope with a 24 or 32 bell are you referring to?  I haven't seen any reference to any such thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did a lot of the same research your doing and was looking at a lot of the same scopes. The Viper is the low risk option i took because I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole I want to go. Really the biggest draw is at the price above if I get bored with the big scopes or alternatively like it and want to upgrade in 6 months when the sale price is gone I can sell it for what I have into it. The bushy xtr3 would be my upgrade if they ever illuminate it but I don't want to drop that kinda coin when I'm not sure how serious I am about the whole thing.

I would also recommend if your wanting to shoot on 10x get something ffp with a max mag of 15-18x. On most scopes the eyebox is picky when maxed out and I'd rather have a bit more max magnification and dial it back some. Plus then you have the higher max magnification if you need it. I don't really see the point of the max 10x scopes. I can ring a gong easily at 400yds+ with my 1-6 scopes and if I'm going further I'll get out one of my 3-15. I guess the 2-10 have the advantages of smaller size but even on weight you can get a razor lht 3-15 that weighs less than a lot of 2-10s.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#42]
This is really excellent advice above.... I wish I had the ability to like everyones comments on here but alas that function isn't available haha. So I nearly and I mean nearly just went ahead and bought the Viper 3-15 yesterday. And I may still buy it, but my brother in law recently bought a Tract Toric 4-20 for his Ruger precision, I finally got to see it and mess with it on Saturday. Man, that is a nice scope, I mean really nice. So anyways, they don't currently have anything in the 3-18 or 3-15 for their toric line which is from Japan(L.O.W) and illuminated. But I decided to message the company anyways, I talked to the owner  "Jon" and low and behold he told me their are expanding their Toric 30mm tube line and it will be in the same feature set as the other toric offerings. So they are going to do a 1-8 illuminated LPVO and a 2.5-15 toric illuminated scope. He said that pre orders would be around November and if all goes well it will be out in December this year, said it will be in that 1k-1200 dollar range. After handling the 4-20 toric I feel like I should wait until November/December to see what the toric 2.5.15 turns out to be. I've been really impressed with what I've seen from them so far, and I gotta say it's one of the nicest looking scopes I've seen to boot. Maybe this information is helpful to someone else as well
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/gHtHmZG.jpg
View Quote

Quoted:
Vortex pst 2.5-10x32 FFP

Gen1 or 2, doesn’t matter.

It’s doubtful you will find a better scope with good warranty and similar features for your budget. For guys not wanting to spend nightforce money, this scope has been regarded for a long time as an acceptable replacement.

Even though I do have experience with that optic, dont take my word for it. Do some additional research and you will see the vortex 2.5-10 being the choice of many.

Others here have posted great options as well.
View Quote

Quoted:

Just which 2-10ish scope with a 24 or 32 bell are you referring to?  I haven't seen any reference to any such thing.
View Quote

These ones above.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

These ones above.
View Quote

32 yes, but 24?  Even a 32 will have a better eyebox than an LPVO as well as better light transmission, athough I would prefer at least 40 for anything 10x.  It isn't all about weight.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Just chiming in to say pst gen2 2-10 is an absolute slammer. Reticle is a perfect duplex on 2x, features are real slick. Glass is very good. Not nightforce good. But also half the price. Probably better glass than you or I will need realistically
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got a SWFA 3-15x scope on mine.  It does the job well, has nice Japanese glass.  They can be found for around $500 used.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Came here to suggest the same thing.  A Mk 3HD 3-9x40 with mil/mil reticle (illuminated Firedot TMR) and matching turrets would be virtually perfect for a DMR role on an 18" (or even 16") SPR type build with a Recce or SPR profile match stainless barrel.  If 1x is desired, throw on a small light mini-reflex red dot like RMR or Deltapoint Pro.  If you QD mount the scope you could  even "hot swap" it with a pre-sighted higher power variable scope topping out at 24x or so for true precision shooting.

The combo in DMR configuration is incredibly versatile.  This is my Recce-type with VX-R Patrol Firedot TMR and Deltapoint Pro.

https://i.postimg.cc/6psTCJS3/3487-AD55-277-F-427-A-8163-5-AEBBEE55870.jpg

View Quote

The Leupold scopes have the benefit of being pretty lightweight compared to the competition.  I had a 3-9x VX-R Patrol on my SPR for a while, but recently upgraded to the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x because the reticle is fantastic, and I felt like FFP suited my purposes better.  The VX-R now resides on my 14.7" Recce, where the low weight makes a bigger difference (the SPR is chunky regardless of the optic).  

I've used the Leupold and Athlon above, as well as an SWFA SS 3-15x and a Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21x on my 18" ARs, and I think the Ares BTR is my favorite for the money.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#48]
MK5HD 3.6-18x
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#49]
If you're serious at shooting at this distance at that size target, do not skimp on glass quality or magnification whatever you decide on. You will only regret it and waste time and money getting what you should have in the first place. Too many folks haven't spent the time at 600 yards or more to give good advice here. Especially if you're going for precision, not just zombie sized targets. Even with a full size IPSC, you're going to need more than 10x.  You can do it with 10x, but this isn't in a .mil context. It's target shooting and perhaps hunting so don't limit yourself. So at a minimum 3x15. 15x will get it done but better at 20x on the top and able to dial it back a bit. Glass quality  also plays a big role. Vortex PST 3x15 is a good choice and at the top of my list. I like the Bushy DMRII for this, it's a nice length, but it's a tank for sure. Backing a little off the weight of the Bushy, the StrikeEagle 5x25 is excellent for what you are describing. Except it's a little longer and has a 56mm objective so a taller scope mount might be required to clear your hangaurd. Consider a lightweight bolt carrier, adjustable gas block, and a lightweight scope mount. Use an MI rail that uses their Ti barrel nut all to shave off precious ounces to offset the weight of the scope and mount you go with. Good luck OP!
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:41:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

32 yes, but 24?  Even a 32 will have a better eyebox than an LPVO as well as better light transmission, athough I would prefer at least 40 for anything 10x.  It isn't all about weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These ones above.

There's a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 that seems fairly popular. I'm just curious why those and and the popular Vortex PST GEN II 2-10X32 and whatever else have an x24 or x32 bell over what seems to be the standard x40ish.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top