[#1]
Niether, both fail too much.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Niether, both fail too much.
View Quote
Where are ypu getting this info? I have heard nothing vut gopd pn each. HOW are they failing?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
i've read the T2 bullet doesnt do so well when pushed to extreme velcocites but still way better than an FMJ round. something about it exploding on impact and not getting the needed penetration.

as for the  winchester ranger 64 gr Power Point, i thought it was just windshields that were an issue?

a google search of each load should give you plenty of reading on various forums though.

there are better bullets out there to be had for less though. 62gr gold dots, 62gr fusion msr and even mk318 comes to mind.  although 318 would not be my first choice for peace time defense for everyone. might make the perfect EOTWAWKI round though if pass thru liability isnt a big issue.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Here to take that substandard TAP T2 out of your hands...
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here to take that substandard TAP T2 out of your hands...
View Quote
the double wammy is that i get some of the worse groupings with 556 TAP 75gr T2 ammo too.

but as i said, still better than 193/855.

i recall something about the black box TAP FPD 75 doing better in the gel testing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

the double wammy is that i get some of the worse groupings with 556 TAP 75gr T2 ammo too.

i recall something about the black box TAP FPD 75 doing better in the gel testing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to Molon's testing, TAP FPD 75 was slightly more accurate at 100 yards than TAP T2.  Something like 0.35 mean radius versus 0.43 mean radius (3 10 round groups of each round).

My own accuracy testing out of a 10.5 SBR was TAP T2 a bit over 2 MOA.  The 62 gr TBBC (FBIT3) was also a bit over 2 MOA.  Interestingly Hornady TAP SBR 75gr was just a bit over 1 MOA for me (all 5 round groups).  Probably just my poor and inconsistent shooting.  Any of those rounds would be just fine at SD distances.  I was very pleased to see how well the TBBC round performed from a terminal ballistics perspective (Andrew's recent video).

DocGKR proclaimed that the TAP T2 round was a stellar performer in his gel testing and was better than many of the non-barrier blind ammo he tested.   I don't do gel testing so I rely on the results of others.  If DocGKR says TAP T2 is a great SD round, that's good enough for me.  This is my primary SD round.  I need to do more shooting of the TBBC round to make sure it is reliable in my guns.  They may very well replace the Speer GD 64gr as my primary barrier blind round.

ETA: from an old Molon post:
Quoted:

5.56 TAP T2 Terminal Ballistic Test Results

Testing by DocGKR shows that Hornady's 75 grain 5.56mm TAP T2 load continues to have some of the best terminal ballistic properties of any non-barrier blind 5.56mm/223 Remington load currently available.  Here's a quote from Dr. Roberts on the Hornady load: "The Hornady 75 gr was the most impressive loading in bare gel––even more so than the numbers illustrate and it was extremely consistent..."

Hornady 5.56 mm 75 grain T2 TAP OTM

Velocity:  2689 fps from a 16" 1:7” twist barrel

penetration in bare ballistic gel: 13.8"

neck length: 0.8”

Maximum temporary cavity:  4.3” at a depth of 4.7”

Recovered diameter:  0.40”

Recovered length: 0.25”

Recovered weight: 30.5gr

Percentage of fragmentation:  59%
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#9]
ya, it really just boils down to shot placement and "p" for plenty at the end of the day i guess.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where are ypu getting this info? I have heard nothing vut gopd pn each. HOW are they failing?
View Quote
Personal experience.  I've had power points blow up and fail to penetrate (4-5") and TAP fail to yaw/frag and icepick.  Gold Dot/Fusion is better in every possible way.  TBBC is probably better yet, but more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#11]
out of those 2, T2 TAP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, it's funny how some guns take a shine to certain bullets. I dumped all my TBBC and Mk318 because the accuracy in my guns was worse than M193/855. But they all love T2 TAP, Gold Dot, and Mk262.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I think SGAmmo bought out PSA's inventory of Gold dot 223 ammo or something...PSA never has the sales anymore and it magically popped up at SGAmmo. At 60-65 cents per round, Gold dots are a great option. They shoot 1moa in my PSA rifle, too. BlueFalcon did a 75gr test on them. Great stuff. You can spend more for another round but I don't think it's worth it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's funny how some guns take a shine to certain bullets. I dumped all my TBBC and Mk318 because the accuracy in my guns was worse than M193/855. But they all love T2 TAP, Gold Dot, and Mk262.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i can certainly agree with the fickle part. 318 is definitely erratic thru my different barrels. its roughly the same as 193 for me and a couple barrels shoot it better.

one round that is very disappointing for me is the 55gr GMX 5.56. wholly crap thats a shitty grouping bullet in the majority of my barrels.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm still all loaded up with 556 T2 and MK262 for my SBRs and longer precision ARs respectively.
I do have barrels and complete uppers that prefer other ammo, but they are not go to guns.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Barrier Blind: RA556B (requires a 5.56 chamber, 1/9 twist)
Non-barrier blind: 8126N (requires a 5.56 chamber, 1/7 twist)
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Why not just get some Speer Gold Dots JSP rounds. They come in the following sizes: 55gr, 62gr, 64gr, and 75gr.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why not just get some Speer Gold Dots JSP rounds. They come in the following sizes: 55gr, 62gr, 64gr, and 75gr.
View Quote
Because people like to overthink and complicate things.

Seriously, its stupid simple, pick the weight of Gold Dot/TBBC your gun is capable of stabilizing and load that in your defense mags.

Verify zero and function compared to your training ammo and sleep soundly.

Using outdated cup and core non bonded bullets or "Match" bullets designed to punch paper that just happen to fragment as an afterthought is silly when these amazing advancements in projectile technology make good defense ammo so readily available.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top