Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2020 7:20:02 PM EDT
What the shit is this?
Forward assist on left has no pin through the head. How the hell is it attached, press it?

And why are these all different? This part is just me venting. All 3 came from Aero. I think the two on the right are the correct orientation for the pin hole.

If that's not annoying enough, I have springs wound both ways, right and left handed or whatever.

Reason to buy colt #541, I guess

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
This kind of stuff drives me insane...

The forward assist without the roll pin in your first pic is commercial garbage. Most commercial manufacturers use the press fit only type of forward assists because they are cheaper.

On the forward assists that have pins through them, there is no standard for pin placement as far as I know. Even on the ones Colt uses the pins are located in differing positions.

As far as the flats around some of the roll pins and no flats around some of the others it just indicates that Aero is sourcing their parts from different manufacturers.

Springs being wound in opposite directions is something that Colt is even guilty of, not that it makes any difference, but I prefer my springs to all be wound in the same direction. Again, this just indicates that the springs were sourced from different manufacturers.

I hope that helps, but my OCD is never at peace either because of stuff like this... 99% of people don't give a crap about any of these tiny insignificant details and neither do my brothers, so they get all the parts that I reject.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!

Is the bore stepped town at the bottom? Else, how do they press it all the way down without marring the bore?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hope that helps, but my OCD is never at peace either because of stuff like this... 99% of people don't give a crap about any of these tiny insignificant details and neither do my brothers, so they get all the parts that I reject.
View Quote

Idk how you roll, my thing is symmetry, sameness, and what I call as-intended.
In this case, knowing the pin angle varies by colt gives me comfort.
Every time I build a new one, I find new things to compare contrast and I move parts around between the guns.
I prefer to discard weird parts, though I keep a couple of blued ones for when it's a close call and I'm not sure the part is parked.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This kind of stuff drives me insane...

The forward assist without the roll pin in your first pic is commercial garbage. Most commercial manufacturers use the press fit only type of forward assists because they are cheaper.

On the forward assists that have pins through them, there is no standard for pin placement as far as I know. Even on the ones Colt uses the pins are located in differing positions.

As far as the flats around some of the roll pins and no flats around some of the others it just indicates that Aero is sourcing their parts from different manufacturers.

Springs being wound in opposite directions is something that Colt is even guilty of, not that it makes any difference, but I prefer my springs to all be wound in the same direction. Again, this just indicates that the springs were sourced from different manufacturers.

View Quote
I'm leaning to let my OCD slide on ARs. I can get down into the weeds if I allow it.

You want another small thing to look for?

Look at the port door detent and how a Colt part is crimped on the door vs most others.

Colt

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Others

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you!

Is the bore stepped town at the bottom? Else, how do they press it all the way down without marring the bore?
View Quote

I have no idea about that, I've never taken them apart.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Idk how you roll, my thing is symmetry, sameness, and what I call as-intended.
In this case, knowing the pin angle varies by colt gives me comfort.
Every time I build a new one, I find new things to compare contrast and I move parts around between the guns.
I prefer to discard weird parts, though I keep a couple of blued ones for when it's a close call and I'm not sure the part is parked.
View Quote

I'm pretty similar... Also, blued or black oxide finish on parts that are intended to be phosphate finished as per the mil-spec is another thing I try to avoid.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#7]

I've only seen the detent housings staked or crimped like on the Colt port doors... This is the first time I've seen any that were different. Do you happen to know where the lightly crimped port doors came from?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve noticed that.
Also the stiffening ribs stamped Into the door are narrow on some.
Goes without saying but all the door springs should be black per the M4.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except for retro clones.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Except for retro clones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for retro clones.

Good swap me a black one for my white
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for retro clones.

No can do, the only black ones I have are on Colt assembled uppers and I consider those modern enough to keep the black springs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've only seen the detent housings staked or crimped like on the Colt port doors... This is the first time I've seen any that were different. Do you happen to know where the lightly crimped port doors came from?
View Quote

All over.  Aero, Anderson, no name...

The ones I have that are correct are from  Colt, FN and LaRue
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who knows where to get Colt port doors?

A lot of aero parts are solid, not so much the port door staking.
Their lpk is legit to me, except the small paddle bolt catch and weird mag release button - they tried to tell me they prefer the small paddle because it works better with their m4e1 receivers.
The nice part is they use Schmid fcg, same as Colt.

Speaking of which, Schmid tells me they will start retailing parts soon. They make all the cast parts, though they don't actually do the casting - they just machine and park em.
Aero Metals will also start retailing fcg and other parts soon, but I don't know for whom they OEM. I am supposed to be getting a fcg sample, but it's been dragging out for months. I'll post pics if they ever come..

I've tried buying some colt parts, but the mag release buttons I got from UA look like crap, nothing like the one in the photo.  Shallow grooves, wide slippery lands. Maybe this is the new colt part.
Arms Unlimited did offer me my $ back for them, which is more than I can say about the canted-sight mk18 colt barrel they sold me. They completely ignored many pleas. When they offered to return the button, I brought up the barrel again and they went silent.

'Colt' button from UA on top, colt-looking unknown origin on bottom:

Aero button top left:

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who knows where to get Colt port doors?

A lot of aero parts are solid, not so much the port door staking.
Their lpk is legit to me, except the small paddle bolt catch and weird mag release button - they tried to tell me they prefer the small paddle because it works better with their m4e1 receivers.
The nice part is they use Schmid fcg, same as Colt.

Speaking of which, Schmid tells me they will start retailing parts soon. They make all the cast parts, though they don't actually do the casting - they just machine and park em.
Aero Metals will also start retailing fcg and other parts soon, but I don't know for whom they OEM. I am supposed to be getting a fcg sample, but it's been dragging out for months. I'll post pics if they ever come..

I've tried buying some colt parts, but the mag release buttons I got from UA look like crap, nothing like the one in the photo.  Shallow grooves, wide slippery lands. Maybe this is the new colt part.
Arms Unlimited did offer me my $ back for them, which is more than I can say about the canted-sight mk18 colt barrel they sold me. They completely ignored many pleas. When they offered to return the button, I brought up the barrel again and they went silent.

'Colt' button from UA on top, colt-looking unknown origin on bottom:

https://i.imgur.com/hBL2F17.jpg

Aero button top left:

https://i.imgur.com/qht3xPE.jpg

View Quote

I have no idea if Colt changed anything about their magazine release buttons recently, but the Colt mag release buttons that I have (bought through Brownells) look the same as your Colt example.

I get most of my Colt parts through Brownells, but if you want new older stock Colt parts then Specialized Armament is the place to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The main body pin in a forward assist is reduced for a small portion where is goes in the Cap/plunger part and is roll pinned to it. At least roll pinned on some.

Hammers, triggers, and selectors have portions broached sometimes not always fully machined. Notice the casting marks on the selector and hammer here. https://www.ilbroach.com/examples/

Botach has had some Schmid parts for a good while now. Selectors, trigger set, and buffer tubes. Brownells sells some of there AR parts and M16 parts.
View Quote

Jeez does Schmid do ANYTHING to their fcg, other than fill out the purchase orders? The engineer did describe the way they surface grind the trigger, so that's something...
I wonder what the hell gets broached on those parts? I gotta call Illinois Broaching and see if they will tell me anything!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The broaching company only shows a hammer and m16 selector. No idea why you would think other parts were not machined or that all or any of the parts are broached every time they are manufactured. Time, availability of machines, labor cost, and other factors may determine how much a manufacturer at any one time decides to do when producing a product.

Wonder if and how this company marks there castings. https://www.signicast.com/who-we-serve/firearms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeez does Schmid do ANYTHING to their fcg, other than fill out the purchase orders? The engineer did describe the way they surface grind the trigger, so that's something...
I wonder what the hell gets broached on those parts? I gotta call Illinois Broaching and see if they will tell me anything!

The broaching company only shows a hammer and m16 selector. No idea why you would think other parts were not machined or that all or any of the parts are broached every time they are manufactured. Time, availability of machines, labor cost, and other factors may determine how much a manufacturer at any one time decides to do when producing a product.

Wonder if and how this company marks there castings. https://www.signicast.com/who-we-serve/firearms

Yes, Signicast does the investment castings for Schmid.
You take me too literally.
The castings are near to the parts' final shape. Casting house grinds the gate off the hammer strike face. Someone else does whatever broaching. Someone else coats them, presumably - places that chrome, park, blue, etc usually only do that. They do grind the sear surfaces. I don't think there is a whole lot of machining left. They do machine their own buffer tube, which I'd love to get my hands on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Botach has been selling there buffer tubes for months at a good price. Ones I got had the dry film on the interior also. Last thing I ordered from them they shipped USPS though so no telling if or when it will show up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Signicast does the investment castings for Schmid.
You take me too literally.
The castings are near to the parts' final shape. Casting house grinds the gate off the hammer strike face. Someone else does whatever broaching. Someone else coats them, presumably - places that chrome, park, blue, etc usually only do that. They do grind the sear surfaces. I don't think there is a whole lot of machining left. They do machine their own buffer tube, which I'd love to get my hands on.

Botach has been selling there buffer tubes for months at a good price. Ones I got had the dry film on the interior also. Last thing I ordered from them they shipped USPS though so no telling if or when it will show up.

I had a rough go of an order from them, sent me wrong mags and took weeks to get reconciled.
How was the machining in the bore?
How was the tube to receiver fit? I have tried a couple of brand named tubes recently that were VERY sloppy going in - night and day compared to the last time I bought the same brands; and that's not just on one lower. Same goes for the machining.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Inside looks good. I would guess it is a spec tube. Outside tube diameter on mine was at the minimum when I measured them but in spec. They felt decent when I tried them in an anodized 80% lower. They only have to be a class 2.
View Quote

Probably will pass then.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Update

the BCM port door has the heavy crimp like Colt.

Forward assists is pinned (as is stated by BCM) and the push button end is well machined.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you! Will check out their door
Too bad it come with white spring
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]
So my buddy got a factory Daniel Defense MK 18. Brought it over to show me, knowing ill find all the warts. Lo and behold, one piece magazine catch. So I called them this morning and the guy says yeah one piece mill spec mag catch. I told him I’m sorry that’s gibberish. Is it cast, I asked? Yes it is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The catch portion can be cast  but can also be mim. Never seen any info that gave an okay on a one piece catch for mil spec but who knows. I know a company makes a one piece upgrade catch that I believe is cast.

I have seen one piece mim catches but the mim ones I have seen did not even have full threads around the shaft for the button to attach, The area the threads normally were was flat on two side.
View Quote

Yeah, with the interrupted threads. I throw those in the trash when i find them. I havent pulled the catch to see, i think he is gotta make em buy it back. It racks like gravel and you need a punch to take it down.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The catch portion can be cast  but can also be mim. Never seen any info that gave an okay on a one piece catch for mil spec but who knows. I know a company makes a one piece upgrade catch that I believe is cast.

I have seen one piece mim catches but the mim ones I have seen did not even have full threads around the shaft for the button to attach, The area the threads normally were was flat on two side.
View Quote

My bad I didn't read whole text first time.
Schmid engineer tells me the catch is machined, no part of the assembly is cast.

Also, I used to think that parts with ejector pin marks are MIM, but often those are marks from injection molding the wax part for investment casting.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top