Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/14/2021 11:28:06 AM EDT
I don't much care for them as a reliable shooter, but for simple collectors pieces, are they worth dropping money on?

Checking over GB, sold listings are much higher than I would have expected (near or over $2k), what makes this pistol sought after?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Clear and Present Danger.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah, a movie gun. Interesting...
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Not having to run a receiver extension and buffer assembly on your pistol is a big plus for some people.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I think forgotten weapons did a piece on those. If I remember correctly they weren’t that well-built, but I could be thinking of something different..
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read the same, not to mention proprietary parts. Looking at it purely as a collector type addition.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Willem rocked it in the jungle ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Willem rocked it in the jungle ?
View Quote

And the halls...

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quite similar to the ZM LR-300, Para TTR, EXP-556, and what member RDTCU have produced, so the OA-9x series is not the only way to get an "AR" with no receiver extension required.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think forgotten weapons did a piece on those. If I remember correctly they weren’t that well-built, but I could be thinking of something different..
View Quote

Well it was an Oly…. so that sounds accurate

I’ve seen them in person, finish and fit said “no”
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Certainly harkens back to an era when there was a lot of innovation with the AR platform.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got an OA93 upper I bought direct from Olympic on an Olympic stripped lower.

With 5.56 it runs reliably, is loud as fuck and throws an impressive fireball. 223 not so reliable. Fit and finish is as nice as about any.

You would not have to show me 2k to own it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, not needing a buffer tube was a huge selling point.

Been featured in

Spawn.
Batman.
Bad Boys

Probably at least a dozen movies.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Olympic_Arms_OA-93_Pistol

Pretty cool gun and design actually.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]
So simply from a collector standpoint, would you all pick one up for about $1000 under going rate?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Pick one up for a grand?  Sure, interesting footnote type gun.  2000 would probably look for something else.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not having to run a receiver extension and buffer assembly on your pistol is a big plus for some people.
View Quote

Defoe's gun had a receiver extension.  It needed it to run a full bolt carrier.  The carrier was needed to trip the auto sear and allow the gun to run full auto.  The semi-auto OA-93 has a half bolt carrier with no rear "shelf", therefore no full-auto.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Defoe's gun had a receiver extension.  It needed it to run a full bolt carrier.  The carrier was needed to trip the auto sear and allow the gun to run full auto.  The semi-auto OA-93 has a half bolt carrier with no rear "shelf", therefore no full-auto.
https://i2.wp.com/www.thefancarpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Clear_and_Present_Danger_32206_Medium.jpg?w=1500&ssl=1
View Quote

I'm sure there is some photographic explanation for the right side of that gun being on the left side.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm sure there is some photographic explanation for the right side of that gun being on the left side.
View Quote

Left hand conversion!
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Defoe is left handed.  Lol

[I don't know if he is or not.  But, it doesn't change the point I was trying to make.  That was the first clear photo I found with a receiver extension.]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://i2.wp.com/www.thefancarpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Clear_and_Present_Danger_32206_Medium.jpg?w=1500&ssl=1
View Quote

It actually runs a cut-down full auto bolt carrier - trimmed about 1/4" aft of the sear trip surface.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]
They bang the rear when they cycle. I put rubber disk in the rear of my OA96 to stop the carrier before it hits the back of the gun. The recoil spring is just a cut down HK91 recoil spring. Most of the main parts are proprietary. Even the gas tube is not a standard pistol length. The early ones had a recoil rod they cycled on that had like a round disk on the muzzle end. I had cycling problems on mine and sent it back. Came back with a different designed recoil rod and it has never had a function problem since. True it blows fire. It melted a hole in a range bag I had to close to the muzzle when shooting once.

Olympic was tight with the parts and I only noticed a few of them for sale right before the web site shut down. The only thing I was able to get out of them was a spare gas tube. One employee sold me a stripped reject upper he had but it is warped. Not sure it is repairable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Good info, thanks!

They want $1300, pistol is brand new. Fo or no?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good info, thanks!

They want $1300, pistol is brand new. Fo or no?
View Quote

Tell them Arfcom will only let you spend $1,000 on it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I got one for $750.00 a couple years ago on here.

Plugged a long standing hole in my 'gotta have' collection.

Fit and finish is definitely better than most OA stuff I have handled.

I've seen all kinds of different variations in parts on these.

Modified forged FSB/gas block, billet machined gas block,
Vortex FH, Phantom FH, proprietary one piece lower, standard A2 with plug in receiver extension boss...
I guess OA just put'em together with whatever they had on hand.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Always thought the choice to have “Clark” carry an OA-96 in that movie to be head-scratching…
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Many people talk trash about Olympic Arms but they need to realize that Olympic Arms was the real innovator company in the 80s and 90s with multiple rifle and pistol caliber conversions. While some of their models were sold in late-stage prototype condition and some had issues, they were the ones that came up with the out of the box ideas that all other AR companies copied. Also, many companies used their barrels. I bought their stuff over 40 years ago when they were known as SGW.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Many people talk trash about Olympic Arms but they need to realize that Olympic Arms was the real innovator company in the 80s and 90s with multiple rifle and pistol caliber conversions. While some of their models were sold in late-stage prototype condition and some had issues, they were the ones that came up with the out of the box ideas that all other AR companies copied. Also, many companies used their barrels. I bought their stuff over 40 years ago when they were known as SGW.
View Quote

Agreed. SGW also added a lot to the pool or registered receiver M-16s and they run strong once properly sorted. Pretty ballsy of them to compete with Colt back then before CNC machining.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe RRA did a more modern iteration as well in both a rifle and pistol had side charging handles similar to HK if memory serves.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I believe RRA did a more modern iteration as well in both a rifle and pistol had side charging handles similar to HK if memory serves.
View Quote

Rock River PDS.  Yeah. The ZM LR-300 was the same idea too. Kind of cool ideas.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had friend that bought or won uppers from oly(they used to host events at the shop)

They all ran pretty good, but the fit/finish was “inconsistent”. Around 2000, you could buy bushy for a bit more and get great quality. I never rolled the dice with oly’s

The pcc uppers usually required an overly stupid welded mag conversion if I recall.

Uzi mag with a block welded to it.

Or I’m thinking of someone else’s, it’s been a while
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The pcc uppers usually required an overly stupid welded mag conversion if I recall.

View Quote

No, that was the Olys at first.

After the AW ban sunset, Oly came out with purpose-made polymer mags for them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I had friend that bought or won uppers from oly(they used to host events at the shop)

They all ran pretty good, but the fit/finish was “inconsistent”. Around 2000, you could buy bushy for a bit more and get great quality. I never rolled the dice with oly’s

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. Mag blocks welded to the mag!  Stupid and yet innovative. But, if you had one, you had a one of a kind PCC AR that no one in your town had (most likely).
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They also offered some neat wildcat cartridges in the line up.

The 6mm/223 seems to stick in my mind.
View Quote

A lot of guys blamed the drying up of cheap 7.62x39mm ammo on OA.(Years ago)

They came out with the OA-93 in 7.62x39mm and supposedly that led the cheap steel-core ammo to be designated as an armor piercing pistol round.

I'm unsure if that is factual or the usual blame slinging.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top