Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2021 11:29:09 PM EDT
Hello,

I recently built my first AR15 and when initially bought two ASC mags. I ran several hundred rounds through them both with no issues of any sort. Later I picked up 5 Okay Surefeed mags because they seemed very well regarded but none of them of them will go a whole 30 rounds without a failure to feed. It will get through a few rounds (the exact number varies every time) and then a round will get caught up between the feed lips and the bolt. Same issue with all five. Unloading them by hand allowed me to see that the neck of the case gets caught on the front edge of the magazine. Has anyone else have this issue? Did they have a bad run at one point or something?

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay Surefeeds are one of the most reliable mags out there..

If all 5 are giving you issues, instead of one or two, that tells me that their mag spec/tolerance is not fitting your build.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I am suspect of your gun rather than the Surefeeds personally.

Eta: Regular Surefeeds or E2 out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Regular Surefeeds. And I initially thought it was probably a spec/tolerance thing with the lower until I realized they don't unload easily by hand. I can try to get a picture of what they do
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Please post a picture if you can.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please post a picture if you can.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
This style of magazine never unloads easy by hand. Reliability depends on the inertia of the bolt pushing the round forward far enough for the tip of the bullet to contact the chamber edge which ramps the cartridge up and over the sharp metal edge of the magazine front.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Is your carrier/bolt short stroking? To little gas, to much buffer?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen lots of examples of the neck of the casing striking the front lip of the magazine - you can see the indentations on pretty much every used magazine. However, the cycling bolt should have enough force to power through that little hitch and chamber the round. The tiny lip around the neck of the round shouldn't be enough to hang up the round during feeding, compared to the force of the bolt. It definitely shouldn't result in the bolt riding over the top of the round, which is what it sounds like you're describing, if the bolt carrier is fully cycling.

Is it possible the nose of the round is jamming against the receiver below the feed ramps? That's what happened with my Bushmaster that has rifle feedramps when I used a Surefeed E2 magazine for the first time in it, which may have led to some controversy over that new Okay magazine design. For whatever reason, the tip of the round fed straight into the flat face of the receiver below the rifle feedramp and caused it to jam.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Post a picture of the interior of your upper receiver. Make sure you don't have a barrel with a rifle barrel extension installed in an M4 upper receiver.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
They are usually very good magazines.  I would suspect the mags, but getting 5 bad ones seems strange to me.  Sometimes certain guns don't get along with certain mags.  We know that other mags work in your rifle, have you tried the Surefeeds in another weapon to see if they function in them?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post a picture of the interior of your upper receiver. Make sure you don't have a barrel with a rifle barrel extension installed in an M4 upper receiver.
View Quote

Yes. It's an easy mistake for a new builder.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top