Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1177
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:37:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TW56] [#1]
Anyone have a set of used A.R.M.S, #22 Medium rings ? Still looking.   I had a member help me out with an A.R.M.S. #40 rear sight sight for the build. Found one.

Now finding a Knights Armament FF Rifle RAS PN: 21318 I expect a much longer wait to be able complete a Mod1 build since they are selling for triple their last MSRP price that they were on the shelf at. I have come to accept building these Mk12 rifles definitely is a long game. Found One.

TW56

edit: page ownership pic

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:53:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Svensson] [#2]

Did some shooting this weekend. Pretty impressed with what the mod 1 can do. All were sub-MOA (once I zeroed the scope...), but this was my best group of the day. IMI 77 gr OTM is good stuff.

Collar came loose while I was shooting. Didn't use any loctite on the set screw. While I was looking at it, I noticed a couple other potential issues I may need to address.

My Allen Engineering brake is installed with shims, but only has the thin shims. It lacks the thick black shim that I've seen with some of the brake/collar kits. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Or is the preferred mounting solution to use a crush washer rather than shims?

Currently the muzzle sits slightly proud of the threaded portion of the brake.

My barrel is also dimpled for the collar set screw slightly forward of the shoulder. Tightening down the set screw in the dimple has it about 0.1" in front of the shoulder. What is the proper distance between the front of the threads on the brake and the beginning of the taper on the collar? Is there a 'correct' measurement from the gas block to the end of the collar? I should be able to get a bit of extra distance between the two by shimming the brake out to the end of the barrel. Didn't really think about this stuff before but I'm trying to figure out if it will present issues when I get my suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Svensson:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52179807286_b691f57710_c.jpg

Did some shooting this weekend. Pretty impressed with what the mod 1 can do. All were sub-MOA (once I zeroed the scope...), but this was my best group of the day. IMI 77 gr OTM is good stuff.

Collar came loose while I was shooting. Didn't use any loctite on the set screw. While I was looking at it, I noticed a couple other potential issues I may need to address.

My Allen Engineering brake is installed with shims, but only has the thin shims. It lacks the thick black shim that I've seen with some of the brake/collar kits. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Or is the preferred mounting solution to use a crush washer rather than shims?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52179839356_f4405eb030_c.jpg

My barrel is also dimpled for the collar set screw slightly forward of the shoulder. Tightening down the set screw in the dimple has it about 0.1" in front of the shoulder. What is the proper distance between the front of the threads on the brake and the beginning of the taper on the collar? Is there a 'correct' measurement from the gas block to the end of the collar? I should be able to get a bit of extra distance between the two by shimming the brake out to the end of the barrel. Didn't really think about this stuff before but I'm trying to figure out if it will present issues when I get my suppressor.
View Quote

I have some of the AE thick shims incoming from Ron.  Send me a PM if you want me to send one your way when they arrive.  I snagged a few extras for exactly this type of scenario.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Svensson:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52179807286_b691f57710_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52179839356_f4405eb030_c.jpg

View Quote

You should have 2.4" between the bare muzzle of the barrel to the step where the SPR collar seats.  If the collar keeps coming loose, put a couple drops of red loctite on the step and the collar will stay in place.  I would make sure it is fully seated on the step in the barrel so you get the correct number of turns on the AEM5.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
For reference, is the correct number of turns somewhere between 6.5-9?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:
For reference, is the correct number of turns somewhere between 6.5-9?
View Quote

I'd say 7-10 turns, max 11.  I've run it with 5.5 with no issue and read of others even running 3.5.  I get 8 on my NSW Recce.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
practically NIB. schwing!
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Shlouf:
practically NIB. schwing!
https://i.imgur.com/rrLEoGx.jpg
View Quote

Refinance the house, did ya?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Anyone need a used barrel.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:53:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toothpicksandkatchup] [#10]
Anyone got a C marked Colt upper they wanna get rid of? Tired of trying to find an AF marked one and my barrel gets here next week, and I've got no patience.

Edit:

Also, iv'e got a full addressed FSGB, however it has tapper pins, so I would like to utilize the set-screw style. If I purchased a new style FSGB, can I swap bases and put my full address on a new style base?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Toothpicksandkatchup:
Anyone got a C marked Colt upper they wanna get rid of? Tired of trying to find an AF marked one and my barrel gets here next week, and I've got no patience.

Edit:

Also, iv'e got a full addressed FSGB, however it has tapper pins, so I would like to utilize the set-screw style. If I purchased a new style FSGB, can I swap bases and put my full address on a new style base?
View Quote

Should be able to swap the sight post between bases.  Pretty painless process.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a matter of pushing the pin seen on the rear through I assume?

Well I can apparently no longer copy and paste from my phone, but it's a silver pin on the back of the sight post. Bi directional I assume?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: teamjawbox] [#13]
Just a matter of pushing the pin seen on the rear through I assume?

Well I can apparently no longer copy and paste from my phone, but it's a silver pin on the back of the sight post. Bi directional I assume?
View Quote

Yea.  I don't have a good pic handy, but here's the location of the pin you push out. Once it comes out you'll see the spring and how it all comes together.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:40:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thatdtmsguy] [#14]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By thatdtmsguy:
Anyone have a bead on a doctor or insight MRDS?
View Quote

There was one available on Reddit GAFS.  I'll find the link and PM it to you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By thatdtmsguy:
Thanks!
View Quote

And it's already gone
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

You should have 2.4" between the bare muzzle of the barrel to the step where the SPR collar seats.  If the collar keeps coming loose, put a couple drops of red loctite on the step and the collar will stay in place.  I would make sure it is fully seated on the step in the barrel so you get the correct number of turns on the AEM5.

https://i.imgur.com/92mXxWb.jpg
View Quote

Is the collar seat in line with the minimum diameter of the collar's taper?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Anybody have a fake mk12 suppressor they would sell?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#21]

This makes me almost not want to get my barrel coated
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Missed again.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By revottuneda4:
AEM5s in stock
View Quote

damnit! i keep missing when these pop up. i need a 2nd one..
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Originally Posted By revottuneda4:
AEM5s in stock

Shows 8 in stock as of 9:16
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KOBK:

Shows 8 in stock as of 9:16
View Quote

Hit CTRL + F5 and it will show out of stock
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry for the ignorance, but can I ask why the AEM5 is preferred over the OCM5? Is it simply the difference in weight from the original Ops Inc? I'm wanting a can for my Mod0 so trying to decide. My scope already will not be clone correct, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
Sorry for the ignorance, but can I ask why the AEM5 is preferred over the OCM5? Is it simply the difference in weight from the original Ops Inc? I'm wanting a can for my Mod0 so trying to decide. My scope already will not be clone correct, unfortunately.
View Quote

Because Ron @ AE made the original Ops Inc cans.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:49:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
View Quote

Also because blatantly ripping off someone's hard work instead of innovating and applying yourself should never be rewarded.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#30]
How is using Allens collar and brake mounting system ripping off a design? Because otter made it look similar from the outside?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:59:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGR1279] [#31]
Originally Posted By Tactical_Bucket:
How is using Allens collar and brake mounting system ripping off a design? Because otter made it look similar from the outside?
View Quote

It was the way it went down. Ron said he was going to retire and was spinning up someone to take over the business.  OCM blatantly used the engineering drawings on their website. They didn’t give credit to Ron and eventually crossed out his name on the drawing.  I’m sure I missed a few important pieces but  I think I hit the important ones. You can read it on the thread about Ron’s cans.

Dan
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:

It was the way it went down. Ron said he was going to retire and was spinning up someone to take over the business.  OCM blatantly used the engineering drawings on their website. They didn’t give credit to Ron and eventually crossed out his name on the drawing.  I’m sure I missed a few important pieces but  I think I hit the important ones. You can read it on the thread about Ron’s cans.

Dan
View All Quotes

Dan

Link to that thread?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Link to that thread?
View Quote

It's all in the allen engineering facebook group if i recall correctly
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Mblades:
https://i.imgur.com/pRGiyY2.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Link to that thread?
View All Quotes

Dan

Link to that thread?

This is the Ops-Inc-Allen Engineering thread. https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Ops-Inc-Allen-Engineering-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/20-445848/?page=72

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:12:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LashWS] [#37]
Hello there. I'm one of them FNG's, but figured it was about time to chime in and post my Mk12 Mod 1 that I've been workin' on for a minute. AEM5 was approved a couple months ago after a decent chunk of time waiting for the backorder, but was a relatively quick wait for the form 4 itself.

Things to get:

Pod-Loc for the Harris Bipod
Colt Teardrop forward Assist
Pelican Case
Pelican Case Foam Mk12
Documents/Log/Hang Tag
Dewey Cleaning Rod
Otis 5.56 Cleaning Kit
Mk12 Bore Guide

Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Feel free to grill the hell out of me, and forgive me if I'm using the wrong nomenclature with regards to item numbers/model numbers/etc. It's not exactly a clone (of the FDNY Mk12), but I definitely love the sleeve with the low rings and it's a dream to shoot with the AEM5.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LashWS] [#38]
Parts List in case anyone cares:

Colt 'C' Keyhole Upper
Colt 'C' BCG
Knights Rifle FF RAS
Centurion 18" Mk12 Barrel
Ops Inc Brake and Collar
Coronet Mk12 Gas Block
PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
Allen Engineering AEM5
Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x + Mk12 Turrets
ARMS #22L Rings + ARMS Top Ring Half w/ Rail
Swan Sleeve #38S-Ex(?) - Which I'm working on finding more documentation on
KAC 200-600m Folding Rear
KAC M4/Mk12 Folding Front
KAC QD Sling Mount + Uncle Mikes Swivel
KAC MWS Bipod Mount
Harris S-BRM Bipod
KAC Foregrip

Brownells BRN16A1 Lower
Geissele SSA Trigger
Colt A2 Fatty Grip
Colt A2 Stock
Colt Rifle Buffer/Tube + SprinCo Green Spring
Colt LPK/Trigger Guard

Also stuff to buy:

Pod-Loc
Colt Teardrop F/A
Pelican Case Foam + Deployment stuff (Dewey Rod/Bore Guide/etc.)
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#39]
https://i.imgur.com/pRGiyY2.jpg
View Quote

Weirdly I liked the paint it had on there before. That funky red/tan has a look that has grown on me, and I think our own Stukas87's SPR may have had some of that earthy red on it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#40]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

Weirdly I liked the paint it had on there before. That funky red/tan has a look that has grown on me, and I think our own Stukas87's SPR may have had some of that earthy red on it.
View Quote

Wholeheartedly agree.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Hunterex:

Wholeheartedly agree.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59096/1a5b6802_jpg-2445808.JPG

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

Wholeheartedly agree.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59096/1a5b6802_jpg-2445808.JPG

Here’s a little better shot with the old cammo. Hindsight being 20/20 I like the skillcraft tan and brick red look too.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Hindsight being 20/20 I like the skillcraft tan and brick red look too.

https://i.imgur.com/YRP4WZs.jpg
View Quote

I may have to restore it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Hindsight being 20/20 I like the skillcraft tan and brick red look too.

https://i.imgur.com/YRP4WZs.jpg

Do you have it now?!?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Do you have it now?!?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Really wish that I had the #38 and #40 in the proper position on the top upper prior to this pic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I like that brick red/other color a lot. And definitely good timing as my barrel just came in, was gonna get it coated but will probably just paint it fer now.

Didn't plan on spending near scar 20s on 20yr old tech

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djangolb] [#47]
figured I'd finally add my mk12(ish)

has a fun rare item with it as well
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#48]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59096/signal-2022-04-15-141424_001_jpeg-2445989.JPG

Really wish that I had the #38 and #40 in the proper position on the top upper prior to this pic.
View Quote

That’s one hell of a picture regardless.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I like that brick red/other color a lot. And definitely good timing as my barrel just came in, was gonna get it coated but will probably just paint it fer now.

Didn't plan on spending near scar 20s on 20yr old tech

View Quote

Get both! Mk12s and scar 20s go together like peas and carrots.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#50]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59096/signal-2022-04-15-141424_001_jpeg-2445989.JPG

View Quote
'Cause that completely ruined the whole picture.
Page / 1177
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top