Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 262
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Do you own a MAWL or other other item that mounts in a similar way that has a similar mass? If so, are you going to mount it over the gas block? If so, the smaller gas block would be better but there's no evidence it wouldn't happen. If not, why are you worried about it?

I presume that the "problem" with the MK16 would happen with most if not all small diameter M-LOK rails. Would a 7075 Hodge fair better? Maybe. Does it matter in the real world? Nothing has came out about it from USASOC.

The only way to know for sure if one rail is better than another is if a third party did independent standardized testing. I'm totally up for this but I can't afford to buy a bunch of rails just to smash them up. Even with a ton of data from drop tests, it wouldn't tell you what is good enough only what is best.
View Quote

agreed. Im just gonna get it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
None are being returned to me for bent rails.

CD
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jamesk777:

Great point. Guess im gonna take the gamble.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By india13c:

Well, considering they’re in use, without a lot of complaints I’d say they work.  We have SF armorers saying they’ve had little to no rails returned for bending.  They also said they’ve heard guys say they like them.

I’d be stunned beyond belief if these dudes were still running rails that had an issue and couldn’t hit their targets.  I mean, just think about that one for a minute.  If these rails bent on a regular basis and caused a loss of zero then don’t you think the guys that can get whatever they want would drop them in a heartbeat?  I do.

Great point. Guess im gonna take the gamble.

I don’t see how it’s a gamble, I built one when the rails were first available out side of complete uppers from Brownells. I built it using a non chamfered MK12 gas block and it’s what, one or two years old now? It’s been my go to rifle around the property, and goes coyote hunting all the time. It’s been banged up, tossed around, and I have had zero issues. Granted it doesn’t have a MAWL, or really any other addons, but my point is simple, it works, I’m not in combat, and if for some reason it does get bent, well I’ll deal with it then, until then, I’m enjoying it much more than my Block 2.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Can anyone verify if the smaller gas block solves this issue? Any active duty guys with these who can vouch for the MK16? I'm picking it up friday night but would love some affirmation on my buy LOL. I plan on using this rifle for SHTF scenario(very real threat now). Turns out Bill Geissele himself said he recommends the MK2 if you dont want a bendy rail(What the heck?). Yet our military is fielding this? I am so torn lol. I also have the option of buying a URX4. Anyone have one?
View Quote
Military wanted a lighter weight rail, thus the MK16.

Get the MK16, if you don't like it I will buy it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote

Thank you for the update and thank you for your service. To everyone else, you guys have been highly informative and i'm picking it up friday. Will upload pics when the build is done.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody know of any retailers that have mk16 rails and ach’s in stock? Just ordered two psa m4a1 lowers for a block 2 and urg-I builds. Tia
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheBrokePilot:
Anybody know of any retailers that have mk16 rails and ach’s in stock? Just ordered two psa m4a1 lowers for a block 2 and urg-I builds. Tia
View Quote

I'm getting mine locally. It is sold out completely online from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever you do when searching for a mk16 or urg-i, stay away from Charlies Custom clones.

They will take your money, and maybe ship you an incorrect upper 1 year later. Maybe.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:01:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#10]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Whatever you do when searching for a mk16 or urg-i, stay away from Charlies Custom clones.

They will take your money, and maybe ship you an incorrect upper 1 year later. Maybe.
View Quote

1000% this! ^^^

And when you cancel your order within their policy they will take over 6 months and have literally every excuse under the sun to refund your money.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Thank you for the info!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I’ve heard a lot of bad stuff about Charlie’s. They usually have much higher prices than everyone else too.

It’s a bummer the 13.5 mk16 is sold out everywhere and the only rails/uppers I can find on my local forum have 9.5 rails.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess I'll tag since this is my next build, whenever I can get parts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Got lucky and picked up a second URGI near clone the other day...one randomly popped up on gunbroker. Keep looking, they're still out there. Albeit at ridiculous prices.

My first one wears a T2, second one will soon have a Razor 1-6.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
That sucks, my first URGI can from them as everyone was OOS.

Shipping was a week, this was when the came out and mine was $838.

Guess I was just lucky.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#16]

View Quote
Didn't know they made a 15" MK16

https://www.primaryarms.com/geissele-automatics-super-modular-rail-mk16-mlok-ddc-15in

Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

https://www.primaryarms.com/geissele-automatics-super-modular-rail-mk16-mlok-ddc-15in

View Quote

Used on the 16” full guns...
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSU] [#18]

View Quote

I bought a KAC MP5 RAS from them when no one else had them in stock. Their price was around $100 more than other retailers but they had them. Two weeks passed before I received a shipping notification. I feel lucky now after reading your post.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AKSU:

I bought a KAC MP5 RAS from them when no one else had them in stock. Their price was around $100 more than other retailers but they had them. Two weeks passed before I received a shipping notification. I feel lucky now after reading your post.
View Quote

That’s why they have stuff in stock when no one else does, they charge on average$100.00 more for everything.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:47:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#20]
Originally Posted By AKSU:

View Quote

Consider yourself lucky you received anything at all.  Someone there must have felt like a decent and honest person that day.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey y’all, what would be considered a good price for clone correct URG-I? Looking at getting another one, and I haven’t really been tracking the going-ons with current availability.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:49:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#22]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:
Hey y'all, what would be considered a good price for clone correct URG-I? Looking at getting another one, and I haven't really been tracking the going-ons with current availability.
View Quote
With Colt upper/BCG, DD gasblock, ACH and SF 4 prong? $1500 or more.

If you by it separately that's about what you will have in it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:17:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billytehbob] [#23]
With Colt upper/BCG, DD gasblock, ACH and SF 4 prong? $1500 or more.

If you by it separately that's about what you will have in it.
View Quote

I wasn’t sure if it’d be that easy, since a quick search didn’t see too much of the MK16 stuff sitting around for long. But, I was able to pick up one of the near clones for just under a grand, so a little less had I been able to buy direct from G, think I’ll be happy with it.

Or maybe I’ll change the block
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:26:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:

I wasn’t sure if it’d be that easy, since a quick search didn’t see too much of the MK16 stuff sitting around for long. But, I was able to pick up one of the near clones for just under a grand, so a little less had I been able to buy direct from G, think I’ll be happy with it.

Or maybe I’ll change the block
View Quote

You have to buy the entire barrel assembly to get the proper low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

That particular rail was only available on Duty URGs in black until just now. The Super Duty rail isn't a true MK16.

The only MK16 that's been issued so far is the 13.5". Maybe a few COTS or testing of the 9.3" and the 10.5" is supposedly in the pipeline.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

You have to buy the entire barrel assembly to get the proper low profile gas block.
View Quote

Oh, damn, I see that now, I wrongly assumed it was a regular MK12
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally got the scope.  Vortex Razor 1-10 with MOA BDC reticle in a Geissele hyperextended mount.  

BUIS will go back on once I get the rear.  I had a Matech but it doesn’t fit under the scope.  I’m swapping it for a KAC 300M.  

I might pick up a Trijicon HRS RMR and mount it with a Reptilia ring mount.  Otherwise it’s pretty much done.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
Finally got the scope.  Vortex Razor 1-10 with MOA BDC reticle in a Geissele hyperextended mount.  

BUIS will go back on once I get the rear.  I had a Matech but it doesn't fit under the scope.  I'm swapping it for a KAC 300M.  

I might pick up a Trijicon HRS RMR and mount it with a Reptilia ring mount.  Otherwise it's pretty much done.  

https://i.imgur.com/rsuvlmA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qTGR7Xj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Yi9MzUl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EVtG0Mk.jpg
View Quote

That Vortex is sexy

Well done

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Please don't do business with them. Ordered a URGI from them with a WARCOMP and got a 4-Prong instead. Took months to get my refund and return label and excuse after excuse for why it took so long. It should not take months for a return label when THEY screwed up my order.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MInurse:

Please don't do business with them. Ordered a URGI from them with a WARCOMP and got a 4-Prong instead. Took months to get my refund and return label and excuse after excuse for why it took so long. It should not take months for a return label when THEY screwed up my order.
View All Quotes

If you paid for a WARCOMP and got a 4 prong, you shouldn't have said anything.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Straight up wish every company would make that mistake for me
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

That's not the point, but alright. Not all of us like the 4-prongs
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#33]

That's not the point, but alright. Not all of us like the 4-prongs
View Quote

Its not that, its worth like 3 warcomps. So you could of came up on top a bit haha
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:

Its not that, its worth like 3 warcomps. So you could of came up on top a bit haha
View Quote

Well, at the time it was coming pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Well, at the time it was coming pinned and welded.
View Quote

Quite lame, in that case
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#36]

BUIS will go back on once I get the rear.  I had a Matech but it doesn’t fit under the scope.  I’m swapping it for a KAC 300M.  

I might pick up a Trijicon HRS RMR and mount it with a Reptilia ring mount.  Otherwise it’s pretty much done.  

https://i.imgur.com/rsuvlmA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qTGR7Xj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Yi9MzUl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EVtG0Mk.jpg
View Quote

Looks great man!
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bChau] [#37]
Here's my 11.5" in its current configuration.
  • Upper: Mueller Forge - Had Carolina Laser Works LasAR-15 do the serial engraving, which is my dogs birthday haha.
  • CH: Geissele URG-I ACH (DDC)
  • BCG: FN M16
  • Optic: EOTech EXPS3-0
  • Magnifier: EOTech Tano G33
  • Rear BUIS: Magpul MBUS Pro
  • Rail: Geissele 10.5" MK16 (DDC)
  • Barrel: Daniel Defense 11.5" Gov
  • Gas Block: Daniel Defense Pinned Gas Block
  • Gas Tube: Daniel Defense Carbine
  • Side Rail Covers: RailScales XOS-H | 3-Slot and 4-Slot | Matrix Pattern
  • Bottom Rail Cover: RailScales XOS-H | 4-Slot | Matrix Pattern
  • Laser: LA-5 (FDE)
  • Pressure Switch: Insight Dual (FDE) - Mounted with a Magpul 3-Slot MLOK rail section.
  • Light: Insight WMX200 Rotating Mount - Mounted with a Magpul 3-Slot MLOK rail section.
  • Front BUIS: RailScales LEAF-PEQ
  • Rail Sling Mount: RailScales QDX
  • VFG: RailScales RSB (FDE)
  • Muzzle Device: Surefire 5.56 4-Prong
  • Suppressor: Surefire RC1 (FDE)
  • Lower: Colt M4A1 Carbine (Post Sample MG)
  • Stock: LMT Gen 1 SOPMOD w/ KAC Sling Mount

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bChau:
  • Upper: Mueller Forge - Had Carolina Laser Works do the serial, which is my dogs birthday haha.
  • Pressure Switch: Insight Dual (FDE) - Mounted with a Magpul 3-Slot MLOK rail section.
  • Light: Insight WMX200 Rotating Mount - Mounted with a Magpul 3-Slot MLOK rail section.

https://i.imgur.com/ldoo9fI.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#39]
  • Upper: Mueller Forge - Had Carolina Laser Works do the serial, which is my dogs birthday haha.

https://i.imgur.com/ldoo9fI.jpg
View Quote

10/10 perfect clone!

Please post more pics!
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bChau] [#40]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

10/10 perfect clone!

Please post more pics!
View Quote
Thanks!

I've changed some parts around since that photo.

Here's how it sits as of today.

Swapped some parts:
  • WMX200 > Surefire M340V-TN-PRO - Fits into the XOS-H scale with a little modification to the scale.
  • Insight Dual Switch > Surefire SR07-D-IT - This will be replaced with a Unity Hot Button setup soon.
  • RailScales RSB > RailScales Karve
  • LMT SOPMOD > Magpul CTR - May switch it to a Magpul MOE instead.
Overall, I really like this setup a lot more than my various 10.3" CQBR builds. That little extra bit of rail helps a good amount for my long arms.

At some point I'll do a 14.5" URGI, but probably not any time soon, that one doesn't interest me as much.

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks!

I've changed some parts around since that photo.

Here's how it sits as of today.

https://i.imgur.com/ph41lsA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3OH1UXA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/o3sL4c5.jpg

Swapped some parts:
  • WMX200 > Surefire M340V-TN-PRO - Fits into the XOS-H scale with a little modification to the scale.
  • Insight Dual Switch > Surefire SR07-D-IT - This will be replaced with a Unity Hot Button setup soon.
  • RailScales RSB > RailScales Karve
  • LMT SOPMOD > Magpul CTR - May switch it to a Magpul MOE instead.
Overall, I really like this setup a lot more than my various 10.3" CQBR builds. That little extra bit of rail helps a good amount for my long arms.

At some point I'll do a 14.5" URGI, but probably not any time soon, that one doesn't interest me as much.

View Quote

Your photos have pushed me over the edge to start piecing together an 11.5” URGI to go with my 14.5”.  

I’ve got the lower already stamped (a McKay that’s not currently being used) and just snagged a new MSI CAGE code marked upper receiver to use.  I’m going to order the barrel direct from Daniel Defense and will eventually track down a 10.5” MK16.  I think I’m going to go with an EXPS3-0 for the optic but I’m not 100% sure yet.

Going to pace myself on this build, still have to recover from buying the Razor 1-10 for the 14.5”.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Your photos have pushed me over the edge to start piecing together an 11.5” URGI to go with my 14.5”.  

I’ve got the lower already stamped (a McKay that’s not currently being used) and just snagged a new MSI CAGE code marked upper receiver to use.  I’m going to order the barrel direct from Daniel Defense and will eventually track down a 10.5” MK16.  I think I’m going to go with an EXPS3-0 for the optic but I’m not 100% sure yet.

Going to pace myself on this build, still have to recover from buying the Razor 1-10 for the 14.5”.  
View Quote

I think I saw a MK16 in the EE
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#43]
Double
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Irons are back on.  A Matech will not fit under the Vortex 1-10 with a standard 1.54 height mount.  Found that out the hard way.  Swapped it for a full-size KAC 300M which fits with no problem.  Also put the sling back on, a Blue Force Gear VCAS in Multicam Arid.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Irons are back on.  A Matech will not fit under the Vortex 1-10 with a standard 1.54 height mount.  Found that out the hard way.  Swapped it for a full-size KAC 300M which fits with no problem.  Also put the sling back on, a Blue Force Gear VCAS in Multicam Arid.  

https://i.imgur.com/AM5hVRN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AwoEwZh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/au978qL.jpg
View Quote

Interesting. I'm digging the hyper extended mount, your setup is pretty much how I like.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Interesting. I'm digging the hyper extended mount, your setup is pretty much how I like.
View Quote

For me the hyperextended mount is a necessity.  I typically shoot nose to charging handle.  I’m also used to the short eye relief of 4x ACOG’s and Elcan’s.  All of that makes it feel very awkward to shoot a longer eye relief scope without a pretty extended mount.  With this set up I’m not quite nose to charging handle but pretty close to it.  I just wish Geissele did one in 1.70 height.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Optics Planet(I know) has 3 DD 14.5 mid, gov profile barrels with their low profile gas block in stock. They’re a little more than some other places but claim to actually be in stock. https://www.opticsplanet.com/ddf-0707709173018-barrel-5-56-16.html?_iv_code=DDD-BRI-DDNTGV-07-077-07308
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Optics Planet(I know) has 3 DD 14.5 mid, gov profile barrels with their low profile gas block in stock. They’re a little more than some other places but claim to actually be in stock. https://www.opticsplanet.com/ddf-0707709173018-barrel-5-56-16.html?_iv_code=DDD-BRI-DDNTGV-07-077-07308
View Quote

Also, sign up for the notification from Daniel Defense.  The barrels seem to come back in stock pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Also, sign up for the notification from Daniel Defense.  The barrels seem to come back in stock pretty regularly.
View All Quotes
Optics Planet(I know) has 3 DD 14.5 mid, gov profile barrels with their low profile gas block in stock. They're a little more than some other places but claim to actually be in stock. https://www.opticsplanet.com/ddf-0707709173018-barrel-5-56-16.html?_iv_code=DDD-BRI-DDNTGV-07-077-07308

I wish Geissele parts were in stock regularly as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

I wish Geissele parts were in stock regularly as well.
View Quote

I wish they had back in stock notifications.
Page / 262
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top