Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 87
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow where can I get me a Geissele OD rail? I looked around couldn’t find one... I need to build a clone now, those are some good looking rifles!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Avila33:
Wow where can I get me a Geissele OD rail? I looked around couldn’t find one... I need to build a clone now, those are some good looking rifles!
View Quote
Usually they're only sold during large Geissele sales, such as Black Friday or the 4th of July.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
Pm sent
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought this post was interesting over in the Colt industry section:

Colt M4 Carbine Federal Patrol Rifle SKU: LE6920-FBP2

I'm curious what role this rifle fills for the FBI vs. the 11.5" carbine. I may have misunderstood somewhere in this thread, but I thought that some regular agents were getting 11.5" carbines. Of course, there are roles for both standard and short barreled rifles. I'm guessing the 16" Federal Patrol Rifle is a replacement for the aging Rock River carbines.

I'll expect someone here to post a photo soon of their 16" and 11.5" rifles together.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:47:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayGhost] [#5]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
I thought this post was interesting over in the Colt industry section:

Colt M4 Carbine Federal Patrol Rifle SKU: LE6920-FBP2

I'm curious what role this rifle fills for the FBI vs. the 11.5" carbine. I may have misunderstood somewhere in this thread, but I thought that some regular agents were getting 11.5" carbines. Of course, there are roles for both standard and short barreled rifles. I'm guessing the 16" Federal Patrol Rifle is a replacement for the aging Rock River carbines.

I'll expect someone here to post a photo soon of their 16" and 11.5" rifles together.
View Quote
@3ACR_Scout

It serves the same role as the 11.5 as far as whom it is issued to, the only difference is that agents can personally purchase the 16" (Personally Owned Weapon, POW) one and upon qualification carry it on duty.  From the guys I have talked to, the plan is that agents are issued 11.5's and any remaining 16" and 14.5" rifles will be converted to 11.5's at some point.  Agents on more "dynamic" squads (gangs, violenct crime, etc.) seem to all have the 11.5's.  Some agents have both an 11.5" (issued) and a 16" (POW).
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Aha, thanks, that makes sense - I hadn't thought about the personal purchase option for agents. That's a great option for federal agencies. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Here she is. Still waiting for the Romeo4M. Once installed, this is how she will remain until I can find the right lower and SBR her.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
People are selling their BF ones on the EE but asking almost double what they paid. Their business their rules.

Anyone know how hard it’s going to be to find the proper 6933 barrel for the gray rail with opened gas block that’s i guess skinny everywhere but the gas journal?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RWA007] [#9]
Finally got all my parts and got it assembled.  Haven't test driven it yet but looking forward to it.  
I started out by trying to be as exact as possible but ultimately decided that there were a few things I just wanted to have on this build like the trigger guard, green buffer tube, magnifier and ASR mount for my suppressor. Even though the SBTactical brace has a QD mount, I like the Endplate mounts, so I put a BCM endplate on it.  I don't want to SBR another lower so this one has a pistol brace instead of a stock. The barrel also isn't correct.  Also, the HRT mount isn't correct for the green...but I like it better than the other mounts for the Romeo 4M.  My eyes aren't young anymore either, so this one gets the Juliet 4 magnifier.  So ultimately, this ended up being more of an inspired build than a clone.  One of my more expensive builds.  I might be into my Block II build a little more than this one.

Parts list:
- RRA lower
-Geissele SSA trigger
-Colt 4 Position Green Anodized buffer Tube
-OD Green SB3 pistol brace
-Geissele Super 42 spring and matching H2 buffer
-Hogue OD Green Grip
-Magpul OD Green Trigger Guard
-BCM QD Endplate
- Colt Cage Code Upper
-Geissele 11.5" barrel with .068" gas port
-Geissele Gas Block
-Geissele Federal 10" OD Green Rail
-Troy BUIS front and rear
-Geissele Federal OD Green Charging Handle
-Silencerco ASR mount (for my suppressor)
-ToolCraft Nickel Boron BCG
-Spuhr HRT T1 mount
-Sig Sauer Romeo 4M sight
-Sig Sauer Juliet 4 magnifier (QD mount)

I think that's it.  I did end up putting some standard black ladder rail covers over the sides and lower rails. (not shown in pics).  I tried the FDE ladder covers and although it looked ok, it started making the rifle look like a toy.  The black ones look better in my opinion.

Things I don't like:  Although I like the look of the Geissele OD Green charging handle...it's not as user friendly as my Raptors or even my Gunfighters.  Also, the Troy rear sight interferes with it slightly (see the pic with the pen pointing to the interference area).  I will likely put either a Raptor or a regular SCH charging handle in it's place (black) but I'm leaning towards the raptor just so it won't hit the rear sight.  I know it's no biggie...but it bothers me a little.  Love the green though.  Wish I could find a replacement in green that I like.
Things I DO like:  Everything else!

ETA: Pic thread...here are some pics, hope none of you use modems anymore...

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RWA007:
Finally got all my parts and got it assembled.  Haven't test driven it yet but looking forward to it.  
I started out by trying to be as exact as possible but ultimately decided that there were a few things I just wanted to have on this build like the trigger guard, green buffer tube, magnifier and ASR mount for my suppressor. Even though the SBTactical brace has a QD mount, I like the Endplate mounts, so I put a BCM endplate on it.  I don't want to SBR another lower so this one has a pistol brace instead of a stock. The barrel also isn't correct.  Also, the HRT mount isn't correct for the green...but I like it better than the other mounts for the Romeo 4M.  My eyes aren't young anymore either, so this one gets the Juliet 4 magnifier.  So ultimately, this ended up being more of an inspired build than a clone.  One of my more expensive builds.  I might be into my Block II build a little more than this one.

Parts list:
- RRA lower
-Geissele SSA trigger
-Hogue OD Green Grip
-BCM QD Endplate
- Colt Cage Code Upper
-Geissele Gas Block
-Spuhr HRT T1 mount

I think that's it.  I did end up putting some standard black ladder rail covers over the sides and lower rails. (not shown in pics).  I tried the FDE ladder covers and although it looked ok, it started making the rifle look like a toy.  The black ones look better in my opinion.

Things I don't like:  Although I like the look of the Geissele OD Green charging handle...it's not as user friendly as my Raptors or even my Gunfighters.  Also, the Troy rear sight interferes with it slightly (see the pic with the pen pointing to the interference area).  I will likely put either a Raptor or a regular SCH charging handle in it's place (black) but I'm leaning towards the raptor just so it won't hit the rear sight.  I know it's no biggie...but it bothers me a little.  Love the green though.  Wish I could find a replacement in green that I like.

https://i.imgur.com/VQ882GZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VFPgxe8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3ytdtJ0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Kkv3pLv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Rvkl4n6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qLqMppu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZNBbq0T.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9fUwGC0.jpg
View Quote
Not clone correct just like mine but Looks good!
Hard not to use a can on this build. Sorry same old pic again
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:41:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FxtrtTngoWhisky] [#11]

Parts list:
- RRA lower
-Geissele SSA trigger
-Hogue OD Green Grip
-BCM QD Endplate
- Colt Cage Code Upper
-Geissele Gas Block
-Spuhr HRT T1 mount

https://i.imgur.com/VQ882GZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VFPgxe8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3ytdtJ0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Kkv3pLv.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Rvkl4n6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qLqMppu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZNBbq0T.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful build man!

I finally got my Romeo4m today, put it on for another picture.  Never got my Colt CH, using an LWRCi ambi for now. That an the Superlative Arms AGB are the only two things, that I'm aware of that prevent the upper from being clone correct.  The lower is a whole other story. Ehhh, it has an SSA...

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FxtrtTngoWhisky:

Beautiful build man!

I finally got my Romeo4m today, put it on for another picture.  Never got my Colt CH, using an LWRCi ambi for now. That an the Superlative Arms AGB are the only two things, that I'm aware of that prevent the upper from being clone correct.  The lower is a whole other story. Each, it has an SSA...

https://i.imgur.com/9SIf0XI.jpg
View Quote
Looks great. Just get a cheaper RRA lower like I did
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:43:38 AM EDT
[#13]
@Bhavin22 and @FxtrtTngoWhisky

Thanks!  Awesome builds yourselves! To be very honest here...I really enjoy seeing the slight variations and spins that people are putting into their builds in this thread.  Makes it interesting.

A little more trivia on mine...I started the build at Thanksgiving 2019 when I saw the Geissele stuff go on sale.  It took so long for my stuff to arrive that I replaced the original lower AND upper AND barrel that I started with.  I started with a PSA M4 lower and an AeroPrecision upper and a Ballistic Advantage 11.5" barrel.  I got so bored waiting for my Geissele stuff to get here that I had time to find a Colt upper and a RRA lower, then saw the Geissele 11.5" barrel with the .068" gas port.  Curiously...the Geissele barrel was ordered in the middle of December and arrived before Christmas while the rest of the stuff I ordered on Black Friday didn't get here till just last week!  Unfortunately, that means that the other lower will ultimately morph into yet another build.  I'm actually hoping to go shoot mine this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:05:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#14]
@Bhavin22 and @FxtrtTngoWhisky

Thanks!  Awesome builds yourselves! To be very honest here...I really enjoy seeing the slight variations and spins that people are putting into their builds in this thread.  Makes it interesting.

A little more trivia on mine...I started the build at Thanksgiving 2019 when I saw the Geissele stuff go on sale.  It took so long for my stuff to arrive that I replaced the original lower AND upper AND barrel that I started with.  I started with a PSA M4 lower and an AeroPrecision upper and a Ballistic Advantage 11.5" barrel.  I got so bored waiting for my Geissele stuff to get here that I had time to find a Colt upper and a RRA lower, then saw the Geissele 11.5" barrel with the .068" gas port.  Curiously...the Geissele barrel was ordered in the middle of December and arrived before Christmas while the rest of the stuff I ordered on Black Friday didn't get here till just last week!  Unfortunately, that means that the other lower will ultimately morph into yet another build.  I'm actually hoping to go shoot mine this weekend.
View Quote
just swap lowers and use the aero later for a non clone. Problem solved your welcome lol
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I was able to take my new rifle out to the range today for a nice leisurely function check, break-in and sight-in.  I don't know what you guys do for barrel break-in, but I've always thought that although barrel-break in (with lots of cleaning during the first few rounds) is probably not necessary...it certainly doesn't hurt.

I shot the first round with a single in the mag non-supressed to check the bolt hold-open.  That worked, so I adjusted the red dot then put 2 rounds in a mag still unsuppressed and shot those. Everything worked again and no-keyholes so I cleaned the barrel, screwed on the suppressor then shot the next 77 rounds using various mags with lots of cleanings at different intervals.

A few observations:  I hereby decree that from hence forth, all my AR-15's will have the correct gas port size.  This little rifle shoots amazing with the .068" gas port in the barrel. It is smooth and soft shooting, no recoil, no gas-face and very accurate.  Seems like it was made to run suppressed. My eyes don't like red dots that much, I see a slash where others see a dot, but the Romeo4M is pretty crisp and even though I was shooting with a red dot that looks like this "/" to me instead of this ".", I was still able to basically shoot out the 2 inch center of the target at 50 yards using the Juliet 4 magnifier (which by the way, I like way better than the typical 3x magnifiers).  I just have to remember what I'm using as the aiming point...the top of the slash or the bottom of the slash!   .  Anyway, everything functioned perfectly.  No misfeeds, jams or any other issues at all.  The bolt hold open worked 100% of the time even the first 3 rounds unsuppressed.  I'm using the Super 42 and the H2 buffer and the combination of that along with the gas port, barrel length, etc, everything worked perfectly.  I couldn't be happier with the way this turned out.  I will be working with BRT to get gas port inserts for my other pistols to smooth them out after seeing how nice these things can be when the gas is right.  It felt more like a regular middy rifle to me than a pistol.  I mentioned that I cleaned the barrel a lot during the break in.  I think I probably cleaned the barrel 6 or 7 times, but didn't clean anything else and noticed that the bolt was getting continually dirtier each time, but I didn't want to wipe it off as I wanted to see how bad it was at the end.  When I got home I was amazed at how clean (relatively) the rifle still was inside.  It took some cleaning of course but typically after an outing like that, with that many rounds suppressed, my rifles usually require a complete teardown and cleaning it seems like.  I was happy about how relatively clean it was in comparison to some of my other rifles after than many suppressed rounds.

I give this rifle a thumbs up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: srob7001] [#16]
I was able to take my new rifle out to the range today for a nice leisurely function check, break-in and sight-in.  I don't know what you guys do for barrel break-in, but I've always thought that although barrel-break in (with lots of cleaning during the first few rounds) is probably not necessary...it certainly doesn't hurt.

I shot the first round with a single in the mag non-supressed to check the bolt hold-open.  That worked, so I adjusted the red dot then put 2 rounds in a mag still unsuppressed and shot those. Everything worked again and no-keyholes so I cleaned the barrel, screwed on the suppressor then shot the next 77 rounds using various mags with lots of cleanings at different intervals.

A few observations:  I hereby decree that from hence forth, all my AR-15's will have the correct gas port size.  This little rifle shoots amazing with the .068" gas port in the barrel. It is smooth and soft shooting, no recoil, no gas-face and very accurate.  Seems like it was made to run suppressed. My eyes don't like red dots that much, I see a slash where others see a dot, but the Romeo4M is pretty crisp and even though I was shooting with a red dot that looks like this "/" to me instead of this ".", I was still able to basically shoot out the 2 inch center of the target at 50 yards using the Juliet 4 magnifier (which by the way, I like way better than the typical 3x magnifiers).  I just have to remember what I'm using as the aiming point...the top of the slash or the bottom of the slash!   .  Anyway, everything functioned perfectly.  No misfeeds, jams or any other issues at all.  The bolt hold open worked 100% of the time even the first 3 rounds unsuppressed.  I'm using the Super 42 and the H2 buffer and the combination of that along with the gas port, barrel length, etc, everything worked perfectly.  I couldn't be happier with the way this turned out.  I will be working with BRT to get gas port inserts for my other pistols to smooth them out after seeing how nice these things can be when the gas is right.  It felt more like a regular middy rifle to me than a pistol.  I mentioned that I cleaned the barrel a lot during the break in.  I think I probably cleaned the barrel 6 or 7 times, but didn't clean anything else and noticed that the bolt was getting continually dirtier each time, but I didn't want to wipe it off as I wanted to see how bad it was at the end.  When I got home I was amazed at how clean (relatively) the rifle still was inside.  It took some cleaning of course but typically after an outing like that, with that many rounds suppressed, my rifles usually require a complete teardown and cleaning it seems like.  I was happy about how relatively clean it was in comparison to some of my other rifles after than many suppressed rounds.

I give this rifle a thumbs up.
View Quote
Nice! I take it you are happy with your barrel choice so far? I am very happy with my G 11.5" barrel. I don't shoot suppressed, and I used a Super 42 H1, but it shot so much smoother than my other pistols(10.5").

How did it fit into the upper receiver that you ended up using? I ended up using a mil spec upper I got from Damage Industries and it wasn't too tight, but also not super loose.

Edit: read above its a colt upper receiver
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By srob7001:

Nice! I take it you are happy with your barrel choice so far? I am very happy with my G 11.5" barrel. I don't shoot suppressed, and I used a Super 42 H1, but it shot so much smoother than my other pistols(10.5").

How did it fit into the upper receiver that you ended up using? I ended up using a mil spec upper I got from Damage Industries and it wasn't too tight, but also not super loose.

Edit: read above its a colt upper receiver
View Quote
@srob7001

I ended up being very happy with the Geissele barrel.  The barrel fit a little looser than I like in the 3 new uppers that I had laying around (Colt/DD and Aero) so I figured the issue was with the barrel (extension). I did contact Geissele but they never got back to me so I found a local gunsmith and had him check the fit and tolerances for me between the upper and the barrel extension and assured me that everything was fine and was actually tighter than some he saw so I went ahead and just installed it as usual using aeroshell and 40 ft lbs of torque.  I did not use any shims, glue, filler, loctite or anything.  I think the barrel extension was at the smaller end of spec, but was still within spec and honestly, I don't think I could have even gotten a .001" shim in there if I tried, it was actually that close.  I had just never run into a barrel that wasn't TIGHT before but I guess a little loose is normal and ok as long as it is within spec...which it was.

At the range today it shot as good or better than any other red-dot outfitted gun that I have and was actually impressed that even with the multiple cleanings/coolings/heating up, etc. it kept on putting them into that 2 inch bull at 50 yards and I really wasn't even trying that hard. No stringing or wandering at all.  I was a little hesitant to buy a Geissele barrel knowing that they are a little new to the barrel game but so far I like it.  The clincher was shooting it.  That .068" gas port really makes a difference.  Like you, I have other 10.5" pistols that are "violent" at best!  Each time I cleaned the barrel after every few rounds, it cleaned up quick and easy, not a lot of gunk in there at all.   Overall, seems like Geissele did a good job with this barrel and I am a fan. I  absoutely loved the way the nitride gas block fit the barrel with the extra locating pin on the top, but I ended up using the silver one that came with the rail and other than the missing top locating pin, the setscrews lined up and worked perfectly.  I wish they would have pinned it at the factory to make it "bombproof", but I can live without that.

Here is a pic of my 50 yard target today.   This was 25 rounds or so after initial red dot adjustment with probably 3 or 4 cleanings in the middle, with one string of 12 rounds semi-rapid fire and one range delay (barrel cooled down).  Again, this was with my magnified red dot, which basically covers the bull at that range and looks like a SLASH to me instead of a dot!  I'm confident that with a regular scope/crosshair this would be a real shooter.

Time will tell with the Geissele 11.5" barrel, but so far, I like it and I'm a fan.

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#18]

@srob7001

I ended up being very happy with the Geissele barrel.  The barrel fit a little looser than I like in the 3 new uppers that I had laying around (Colt/DD and Aero) so I figured the issue was with the barrel (extension). I did contact Geissele but they never got back to me so I found a local gunsmith and had him check the fit and tolerances for me between the upper and the barrel extension and assured me that everything was fine and was actually tighter than some he saw so I went ahead and just installed it as usual using aeroshell and 40 ft lbs of torque.  I did not use any shims, glue, filler, loctite or anything.  I think the barrel extension was at the smaller end of spec, but was still within spec and honestly, I don't think I could have even gotten a .001" shim in there if I tried, it was actually that close.  I had just never run into a barrel that wasn't TIGHT before but I guess a little loose is normal and ok as long as it is within spec...which it was.

At the range today it shot as good or better than any other red-dot outfitted gun that I have and was actually impressed that even with the multiple cleanings/coolings/heating up, etc. it kept on putting them into that 2 inch bull at 50 yards and I really wasn't even trying that hard. No stringing or wandering at all.  I was a little hesitant to buy a Geissele barrel knowing that they are a little new to the barrel game but so far I like it.  The clincher was shooting it.  That .068" gas port really makes a difference.  Like you, I have other 10.5" pistols that are "violent" at best!  Each time I cleaned the barrel after every few rounds, it cleaned up quick and easy, not a lot of gunk in there at all.   Overall, seems like Geissele did a good job with this barrel and I am a fan. I  absoutely loved the way the nitride gas block fit the barrel with the extra locating pin on the top, but I ended up using the silver one that came with the rail and other than the missing top locating pin, the setscrews lined up and worked perfectly.  I wish they would have pinned it at the factory to make it "bombproof", but I can live without that.

Here is a pic of my 50 yard target today.   This was 25 rounds or so after initial red dot adjustment with probably 3 or 4 cleanings in the middle, with one string of 12 rounds semi-rapid fire and one range delay (barrel cooled down).  Again, this was with my magnified red dot, which basically covers the bull at that range and looks like a SLASH to me instead of a dot!  I'm confident that with a regular scope/crosshair this would be a real shooter.

Time will tell with the Geissele 11.5" barrel, but so far, I like it and I'm a fan.

https://i.imgur.com/4xuB8bz.jpg
View Quote
Nice. That's a pretty damn good ground for that setup.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
If you are still looking for one, PM me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:20:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironcross] [#20]
Delete
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
G trigger finally ordered. It will be nice to have all my triggers the same and get rid of this single stage.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#22]
TV sighting...

Was watching Hawaii-5-0 on Friday (2/28, Season 10, episode 18) and at about the 45 minute mark there is a gunfight scene.   Junior "Junes" is using what appears to be an 11.5" rifle with the Green Geissele Federal rail (1st gen...short picatinny on the bottom front) with a Spuhr T1 mount with either a T1 or the Romeo4 on top.  It's also sporting a suppressor and the sights appear to be Magpul instead of Troy.  Looks just like a lot of the rifles in this thread.

I like to freeze-frame the closeups of the weapons in all these TV series and my wife gets tired of it.  Was surprised to see this setup used in H50.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:11:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D1N0] [#23]
@RWA007,
Here’s the best shot I could get. Just DL’d it for this scene. Peep the “Icon” motorcycle gloves though. 😂

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
That's pretty neat to see them going for a higher level of accuracy in the type of rifle they're using. It looks like it may have a green Colt receiver extension, which looks good even if not correct.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:

Looks great. Just get a cheaper RRA lower like I did
View Quote
Nothing cheap about RRA.  Great lowers, and mostly what is used by federal agencies...  Yes, the cost is affordable, but RRA is solid.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
That's pretty neat to see them going for a higher level of accuracy in the type of rifle they're using. It looks like it may have a green Colt receiver extension, which looks good even if not correct.
View Quote
It's probably this exact rifle:

[youtube]PixGE4rANG8?t=1411[/youtube]

from the Larry Vicker's visits Independent Studio Services, I think it was even posted in this thread. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure they read this thread.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:59:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: musgravecycles] [#27]
Long shot but anyone have a DDC MK4 federal rail they want to trade for a ODG MK4 federal?  Finally got my order in from Geissele and may go a slightly different route than full “clone correct.”

If anyone is interested in trading let me know...
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By barrelnutz:

Nothing cheap about RRA.  Great lowers, and mostly what is used by federal agencies...  Yes, the cost is affordable, but RRA is solid.
View Quote
Yes solid and GTG. By cheaper I meant price.
I have both and the fit and finish is way better on the RRA
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:34:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dlraymond36] [#29]
Dudes... I'm not a cloner. So, with that in mind, i just got something that I think you guys MAY be interedted in: a black geissele gas block with the little pin sticking out toward the receiver... Which is apparently the HRT gas block or whatever. If it is im sure you guys can answer me... Also, I may have a use for it on a short gun for my gemtechs OR I may just sell it. Lemme know if this is what i think it is. It has the G logo on the normal side as any other G blocks
https://ibb.co/WFpdpjq
https://ibb.co/mypZGs5
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Dlraymond36:
Dudes... I'm not a cloner. So, with that in mind, i just got something that I think you guys MAY be interedted in: a black geissele gas block with the little pin sticking out toward the receiver... Which is apparently the HRT gas block or whatever. If it is im sure you guys can answer me... Also, I may have a use for it on a short gun for my gemtechs OR I may just sell it. Lemme know if this is what i think it is. It has the G logo on the normal side as any other G blocks
View Quote
Appears to be a super duty gas block, not the restricted block used on Federal guns
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Dlraymond36:
View Quote
That's just the gas block that comes with the G barrels.

Both my 115." and 16" G nitride barrels came with the gas block. The barrel is notched on top so the little pin on the gas block indexes correctly when installed, plus they dimple the barrel under the gas port anyway........I think they are really trying to make it dummy proof so builders don't install it wrong.

The silver gas blocks that come with the rails do not have the indexing pin.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RWA007] [#32]

That's just the gas block that comes with the G barrels.

Both my 115." and 16" G nitride barrels came with the gas block. The barrel is notched on top so the little pin on the gas block indexes correctly when installed, plus they dimple the barrel under the gas port anyway........I think they are really trying to make it dummy proof so builders don't install it wrong.

The silver gas blocks that come with the rails do not have the indexing pin.
View Quote
Yup, exactly right.  I got the silver colored one with the rail, and the nitride (black) one with the barrel.  I really liked the indexing pin on the nitride one that came with the barrel but ultimately ended up using the silver one on that barrel.  I did not pin it with the rollpin, as the two setscrews on the silver one (more clone correct) lined up perfectly with the pre-drilled dimples in the barrel.   As mentioned above, pretty happy overall with the G barrel.  Very smooth shooter with that .068" gas port.

Switching up the topic here but staying on track with the thread...an update on my build. I also had purchased the Green G Government charging handle.  Upon installation I found that it just didn't work well for my hands/fingers.  I'm right handed and shoot right handed and I like to charge it with my left index finger only.  I felt like I was exerting a lot of pressure to the RIGHT to keep my finger from coming off during charging.  Also...I didn't like that it hit my Troy rear sight.  All my other charging handles are either BCM Gunfighter Mod4's or Raptors.  I was able to find an OD Green Raptor so I sold the Geissele and bought the Raptor. I thought about keeping the G for clone correctness in photos, etc. but that makes for an expensive photo and I wasn't 100% clone correct anyway so I figured it wouldn't matter much.  I also found some OD Green Ladder Rail covers and replaced the Black ones I had on there.  Not sure yet which I like better but the Green does look pretty nice.  The SBA3 pistol stock that I have on it (also OD Green) initially was just a placeholder until I SBR'd this lower but found that I like the SBA3 so much that I replaced my BLADES on my other 3 pistols with the SBA3's.  Thats a great design.  I've got all my stuff in a trust so it will be more complicated to SBR this lower, but in the meantime, I'm pretty happy with the SBA3 stock.  It looks good and works good, although not entirely clone correct.  I'll post some updated pics later.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quick questions on the Restricted Block:

- What is the measurement being used for the gas port?

- From where did that information come? (this is the first I've heard of it)

- Where are you guys sourcing them?

- Will the restricted gas block allow reliable suppressor use?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed_Victory] [#34]
Originally Posted By TheGrayGhost:

Thanks.
View Quote
There’s a quote from GS5414 in the original post that details restricted block port sizing but there aren’t many restricted gas blocks in private hands. Less than 5 if I remember right.

Some cloners are using Black River Tactical gas block inserts instead, Clint can hook you up with the right port sizing for your particular setup.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Thanks.
View Quote
The restricted gas block was specially made for the FBI contracts for use on colt barrels. Very few have trickled out and they are not sold to the public. I believe myself and one other in this thread has the true contract restricted GB, they are extremely hard to source. Mine came from a friend that once worked for Geissele. Others have used a normal G block with a BRT gas port insert to slim down the port. Yes, .068 is a great port size for suppressed and non suppressed use on a 11.5 barrel, I use a colt h2 buffer and normal carbine spring and it's a very soft shooter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:27:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayGhost] [#36]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
The restricted gas block was specially made for the FBI contracts for use on colt barrels. Very few have trickled out and they are not sold to the public. I believe myself and one other in this thread has the true contract restricted GB, they are extremely hard to source. Mine came from a friend that once worked for Geissele. Others have used a normal G block with a BRT gas port insert to slim down the port. Yes, .068 is a great port size for suppressed and non suppressed use on a 11.5 barrel, I use a colt h2 buffer and normal carbine spring and it's a very soft shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Thanks.
@Ed_Victory
@JLAudio

Thanks guys.  I take it GS5414 has inside information then? (without getting into specifics).

I guess I will have to look into what all the BRT will require... I thought I was almost done getting these parts together.  Part of me wonders if I should ditch the HRT barrel and try to get a Geissele 11.5 so I won't have to fool with it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#37]

@Ed_Victory
@JLAudio

Thanks guys.  I take it GS5414 has inside information then? (without getting into specifics).

I guess I will have to look into what all the BRT will require... I thought I was almost done getting these parts together.  Part of me wonders if I should ditch the HRT barrel and try to get a Geissele 11.5 so I won't have to fool with it.
View Quote
BRT sells a gas block modification kit (~$25) with the drill bits and tap you need to tap your gas block to use their interchangeable port jets ($25). I did my Geissele block with a drill press and it worked out great. They also sell pre-drilled and tapped gas blocks if you decide to not use Geissele's. When you use their gas block jets, you select one jet size smaller than the barrel port size you are trying to emulate.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RWA007] [#38]

Part of me wonders if I should ditch the HRT barrel and try to get a Geissele 11.5 so I won't have to fool with it.
View Quote
That is what I did and why I did it.  Just made the whole project simpler and less complicated and even cheaper.  I had already purchased a Ballistic Advantage 11.5" barrel with a .073" port that I was going to have to send out to have the Geissele gas block pinned to, and then I was going to have to either send the gas block to BRT and have them install the new gas port in it or I was going to have to do it myself.  Either way it was some shipping and waiting and or shipping and waiting and machining myself with some $$$ thrown in for good measure.   And...since I'm OCD, I was worried that the gas port would end up crooked/canted which would not have been acceptable to me.

Instead, I sold the BA barrel (actually made money on it), purchased the G barrel, assembled it (pre dimpled so no gas block machine work necessary), shot it, and am very happy with it.  It's no less clone correct now than it would have been with the BA barrel and was simpler and even cheaper since I bought the barrel during the black Friday sale and I didn't have to do any machine work or send anything out.

Unless you are going for 100% clone correct, this is a simple and good option. The .068" gas port in the G barrel makes for a very smooth shooter.  I use the H2 buffer and the Super 42 spring and have run it both suppressed and non suppressed with 100% reliability.

ETA: Too bad it doesn't have 2 G's on the barrel for "Gray Ghost"

Link Posted: 3/6/2020 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#39]

That is what I did and why I did it.  Just made the whole project simpler and less complicated and even cheaper.  I had already purchased a Ballistic Advantage 11.5" barrel with a .073" port that I was going to have to send out to have the Geissele gas block pinned to, and then I was going to have to either send the gas block to BRT and have them install the new gas port in it or I was going to have to do it myself.  Either way it was some shipping and waiting and or shipping and waiting and machining myself with some $$$ thrown in for good measure.   And...since I'm OCD, I was worried that the gas port would end up crooked/canted which would not have been acceptable to me.

Instead, I sold the BA barrel (actually made money on it), purchased the G barrel, assembled it (pre dimpled so no gas block machine work necessary), shot it, and am very happy with it.  It's no less clone correct now than it would have been with the BA barrel and was simpler and even cheaper since I bought the barrel during the black Friday sale and I didn't have to do any machine work or send anything out.

Unless you are going for 100% clone correct, this is a simple and good option. The .068" gas port in the G barrel makes for a very smooth shooter.  I use the H2 buffer and the Super 42 spring and have run it both suppressed and non suppressed with 100% reliability.

View Quote
Thanks for all of the information, that's good information to know.  Mine is definitely not 100% clone correct, especially since it's a pistol.  I have to say, a blemished Double-G would immediately go in my cart to buy haha
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Too funny. I also bought a BA 11.5 at a great deal, then before it even got to me, G has their barrels suddenly available with a more correct barrel profile and gas port size, so had to go that route.

Primary arms for the BA barrel when you got yours?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m posting some NIB Colt 6933 11.5 barrels in the EE, figured I’d give the clone guys a heads up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Too funny. I also bought a BA 11.5 at a great deal, then before it even got to me, G has their barrels suddenly available with a more correct barrel profile and gas port size, so had to go that route.

Primary arms for the BA barrel when you got yours?
View Quote
Yup, Primary Arms for $79!  I also ordered the G barrel even before I received the BA barrel!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DGredTribe] [#43]
HRT finally seen with MK4's. You guys can now officially call them HRT clones lol

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DGredTribe:
HRT finally seen with MK4's. You guys can now officially call them HRT clones lol

https://i.imgur.com/XwqMeoD.jpg
View Quote
Rocking Surefire suppressors too. I wonder which mount they use?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By D1N0:
@RWA007,
Here’s the best shot I could get. Just DL’d it for this scene. Peep the “Icon” motorcycle gloves though. 😂

https://i.imgur.com/uajElZO.jpg
View Quote
Lol Icon Motorcycle gloves as gun gloves!!! I had them back in 2007 when I bought my gsxr600.  I’m surprised they still make them the same.  That’s great Geissele gear making it in movies!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ThRob:

View Quote
I believe mostly 3 prongs but they've had legacy type FHs on in recent years as well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Keep it suppressed and no one will know
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#48]

https://i.imgur.com/PidoSGZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/opZI6An.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oePVPFc.jpg
View Quote
Thought HRT only used the black rails???
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#49]
And cool to see them with the Crye Airframes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
Green rail regional SWAT uses lightweight 6933 profile and Daniel Defense Aimpoint mounts.

Black rail HRT uses HRT heavy profile and Spuhr Aimpoint HRT mounts. 6933 lightweight profile is also acceptable.
View Quote
I thought black rails were for field agents and DDC rails were for HRT. At least that was what I was seeing awhile ago when I was getting my parts together. Haven't built anything or kept up with recent developments, so wondering if I missed something.
Page / 87
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top