Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 87
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:54:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4AZ] [#1]
Not really doing a HRT clone so sorry to gum up the thread, but since some were asking about what it would be like using a 10.5" barrel. I had a extra 10.5 PSA upper that will be changed out to colt down the road. As you can see on a 10.5 the rail sits past the bottom of the threads just a hair so i had to an extra couple of timing shims that cause a little more of a gap when putting a surefire can on and made just enough room. Took it to the range and it shot good.

So in a perfect world i would go with a 10.7" barrel at the very least FWIW.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Conner378:
Not really doing a HRT clone so sorry to gum up the thread, but since some were asking about what it would be like using a 10.5" barrel. I had a extra 10.5 PSA upper that will be changed out to colt down the road. As you can see on a 10.5 the rail sits past the bottom of the threads just a hair so i had to an extra couple of timing shims that cause a little more of a gap when putting a surefire can on and made just enough room. Took it to the range and it shot good.

So in a perfect world i would go with a 10.7" barrel at the very least FWIW.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/074A88FB-CCE0-45D0-86A0-6BF134F0177E_jpeg-758270.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/6D0833D5-F3BE-4668-960B-66DCE88F92AF_jpeg-758271.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/D4F403D0-7BAD-482C-B9ED-6D29E090788F_jpeg-758272.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/8388257B-0CEB-4A8C-A5C2-140DD78BA988_jpeg-758273.JPG
View Quote
Good photos, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Conner378: snip
View Quote
@Conner378 thanks for the post.

What shims did you use?  Looks like 3 total?  Are those all Surefire shims?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By zachsmith526:

@Conner378 thanks for the post.

What shims did you use?  Looks like 3 total?  Are those all Surefire shims?
View Quote
Yeah i believe it was the thick one you use with suppressors and two red shims
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Conner378:

Yeah i believe it was the thick one you use with suppressors and two red shims
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikev101:

I desperately hope my Mk4 Fed arrives in this color and not Sour Apple Pucker.
View Quote
I think you'll be good. Mine is OD/Forrest green in person, suitable for camouflage.  Only looks bright green in a picture with a flash.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BNW:
I think you'll be good. Mine is OD/Forrest green in person, suitable for camouflage.  Only looks bright green in a picture with a flash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BNW:

I was curious so I took pics with iPhone flash on and tried to make it as green as possible by getting the phone closer to the rails. The second pic has a spot of oil on it but you can see how the flash shows up especially in the reflection on the mk8. I do think there is some variation in anodizing color same way ddc comes in shades from dark bronze to light tan.

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone looked at one of these with NODS on yet?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
I haven’t gotten mine yet but I’m hoping for a brighter green. If needed let me know.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By berkeleygiraffe:
I do think there is some variation in anodizing color same way ddc comes in shades from dark bronze to light tan.
View Quote
There is definitely a tremendous amount of variation in color.

Whether or not one likes the OD green or the Sour Apple green is a matter of personal preference.

For Geissele though, I'm surprised they allow for such inconsistency in their product.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Whether or not one likes the OD green or the Sour Apple green is a matter of personal preference.

For Geissele though, I'm surprised they allow for such inconsistency in their product.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By berkeleygiraffe:
I do think there is some variation in anodizing color same way ddc comes in shades from dark bronze to light tan.

It really can't be helped, even blacks don't match up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
They could waste a bunch of time trying to get it more consistent, but in the end they'd still not match.   It's not like having a different shade of green doesn't work.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:39:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#13]

View Quote
Anodizing involves so many variables that can’t be controlled such as the different metals, atmospheric conditions, etc.

G has been very upfront about the variations in anodizing colors. Here’s their text from their site on DDC:

GEISSELE DDC (DESERT DIRT COLOR) DISCLAIMER

Geissele DDC, or Desert Dirt Color, refers to the variety of shades of desert terrain. Differing shades of DDC are desired on a military small arm to breakup the outline of the weapon.

These colors can vary from color seen in the picture of the product, and can also vary from each other when comparing one product to another product. So it is possible that your accessory rails will not match exactly to your rail. Please see pictures below of several examples of DDC. Please note that even the product you receive may vary slightly from these examples shown.

Due to the chemical process that takes place during Type 3 Hardcoat, the finish on the product can vary from one to the next, even if it is the same batch. The only way to receive a uniform finish on all parts and accessories to match a color you desire, is to have it recoated or painted with a different finish, for example Cerakote ™ or DuraCoat. However please be aware, that these other types of finishes will not be as durable and will be more easily prone to scratches and scrapes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#14]
It's just the same as fde shades. Plus, different companies choose different shade and different materials and coating processes make different shades.
I like the different shade tho lol.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I was a little surprised by the color variation of the ODG, but I know this is an issue with anodizing so it is somewhat expected. Here is my mk4 rail you can see how dark it is, looks almost black.

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:
I was a little surprised by the color variation of the ODG, but I know this is an issue with anodizing so it is somewhat expected. Here is my mk4 rail you can see how dark it is, looks almost black.

https://i.imgur.com/DWVZeQL.jpg
View Quote
I think thats the color most of us are hoping to get, and not the lime green.

I know i am anyways
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I want lime green. If anyone wants to tradesies, PM me
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abpMN] [#18]
Looks like Magpul MBUS is good to go?

If so, which color.. Black or OD Green?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone know the OAL with a CTR stock?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
View Quote
I believe it is generally barrel length + 19".. so I think you'll be good to go with 30.5"
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#21]
have we figured out if govt profile is also accepted or hbar only?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Colt gives 30.75" as the extended length for a 6933.  The CTR probably adds .25-.5" over the waffle stock.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By abpMN:
I believe it is generally barrel length + 19".. so I think you'll be good to go with 30.5"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By abpMN:
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Colt gives 30.75" as the extended length for a 6933.  The CTR probably adds .25-.5" over the waffle stock.
Thanks, dudes. I need to eForm a lower for this thing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By iasc300ia:

I think thats the color most of us are hoping to get, and not the lime green.
View Quote
Yes.

If I were only seeing Sour Apple, I'd even suspect that some of these were rejects.

I do know that anodization will vary... I also know that what is displayed on the Geissele product is the maximum-extreme-representation of how much this can vary.

Using my assumptions about Geissele as a company and what I assume their processes are like, it would appear that color is not a spec'd variable that is measured when performing QA.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wissota4:
have we figured out if govt profile is also accepted or hbar only?
View Quote
All of the regional swat guns (green rails) I have seen are Commando profile. Unknown if all rifles will eventually be converted to the HRT profile.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:26:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmdexe] [#26]
Have a few colt canada/diemaco 11.5" commando trade in upper receiver groups in the EE.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JonnyMoses:
Have a few colt canada/diemaco 11.5" commando department trade in upper receiver groups in the EE.
View Quote
estimated rnd count?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmdexe] [#28]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

estimated rnd count?
View Quote
Unknown on the round count but looks to be low, rifling looks good and strong all the way through, bullet test at the crown passes. Haven't chrono'd or test fired any to check for accuracy but like I said based on the previous barrels look to be in good condition.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#29]
First time seeing the extremely dark ODG MK4s, I will be disappointed if i get near black ODG.

Still processing from 6:00pm EST 22nd order.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone do a clone and have your upper and lower cerakote ODG? Not sure if that would look good or not. I like the contrast of the ODG rail against the otherwise black rifle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tacticool_Duck:
First time seeing the extremely dark ODG MK4s, I will be disappointed if i get near black ODG.
View Quote
Well I'm tracking 2 willing to trade for dark and 2 willing to trade for Sour Apple, so at least there's hope to fix this mess amongst ourselves...
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:03:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lucreau] [#32]
If anyone’s got a sour apple mk4, I’d trade for mine. It’s not super dark but a true od green
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SEK7562:

All of the regional swat guns (green rails) I have seen are Commando profile. Unknown if all rifles will eventually be converted to the HRT profile.
View Quote
So theyre gov profile but thinner in front of the gas block?

Good to know.  I thought they were all heavy barrels.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#34]
Colt Commando profile is .625" at the gas block. It's also usually called Lightweight or LW profile.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Well I'm tracking 2 willing to trade for dark and 2 willing to trade for Sour Apple, so at least there's hope to fix this mess amongst ourselves...
View Quote
I'll definitely keep you updated as soon as I get tracking info and receive.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerHawk] [#36]
Please tell me sour apple is not being adopted as a color description for a hrt clone. Not sure that even makes sense. Green apple? Maybe.. still pretty doofy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#37]
My rail is waiting for me at home, fingers crossed for sour apple!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't think any of them will be "sour apple" in person. I think some just look that way in photos
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:
Please tell me sour apple is not being adopted as a color description for a hrt clone. Not sure that even makes sense. Green apple? Maybe.. still pretty doofy.
View Quote
the green apple is better than the red apple

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my rail today.  Happy with the color of it matches everything well.  I already had upper built on the FBI HRT barrel with colt bcg and upper.  Not really a clone but figured I'd throw in a pic.  Shown with Saker 7.62.  Figured I'd use try that on this build since I never use it unless I'm using the 300 BO.  I have a CTR stock coming if Opticsplanet ever decides to ship!

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#41]
What's the difference between the Mk4 rail and the Mk4 Federal?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By under9:
What's the difference between the Mk4 rail and the Mk4 Federal?
View Quote
The MK4 is offered in 9.5” not 10”.  The MK4 Federal comes in 10” and was also offered in OD green and gray alone with the standard black and DDC that the normal MK4 comes in.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:17:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dunderway] [#43]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Colt Commando profile is .625" at the gas block. It's also usually called Leightweight or LW profile.
View Quote
Some newer Commandos are .750.  I thought this was standardized, but appear to be incorrect.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Newer Commandos are .750.
View Quote
Would prefer govt. Profile .750 gas block, if correct.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:07:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#45]
Newer Commandos are .750.
View Quote
How new?

Colt hasn't changed the website pics.

Attachment Attached File

I know Colt changed the roll mark to M4 Commando over a decade ago, but I've never seen updated barrel specs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#46]
colt did release 933 commando's with .750 gas block journals that were turned down in front of the fsb a few years back.  i don't know if this is still how they're doing the 933 barrel's or not , i thought they had went back to lightweight .625 barrel's.

i believe those 933's had a different prefix in the part # or something , like a K
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Bunch of guys bought HBARs only to find out they need pencil profiles.

Ouch.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
the green apple is better than the red apple

https://i.postimg.cc/DZjhLGJg/IMG_3601.jpg
View Quote
Where did this patch come from?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThRob] [#49]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
Bunch of guys bought HBARs only to find out they need pencil profiles.

Ouch.
View Quote
Using an FBI contract Colt barrel in an FBI clone rifle still seems like it will be the way to go IMO

*Edit for pic. Not a great pic, but a pic no less

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Lucreau:
If anyone's got a sour apple mk4, I'd trade for mine. It's not super dark but a true od green
http://i65.tinypic.com/2upwch1.jpg
View Quote
OMG, I LIKE that color! That's hot!
Page / 87
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top