Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2022 4:44:32 PM EDT
I'm starting to gather parts for a 6.5 Grendel upper.  I'm looking at the Odin Works DMR barrel that comes with bolt carrier.

Primary arms link

Is this a decent affordable option?  Something better in same price range?

I'm not looking to create a super Gucci upper.  Something to use for hunting, and plinking at the range.  I know someone is going to say 20 inches is too long for hunting rifle, but that is still 4 inches shorter than the sportizied 1917 Enfield barrel I'm used to hauling around.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That should serve you well.  You could also consider Criterion with a matched bolt as well.  Would be around the same price.  Krieger and Bartein if you are really looking for a top notch barrel, but spendy and you will have to wait to get a barrel from either.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Sample size of one, but I bought an upper with an Odinworks barrel in 6.5 recently.
It is superbly accurate with 100 grain wolf and 123 gr Hornady.

As I said, my only experience with one barrel, but I'm impressed.

edited to add, 18" 1/8.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I came very close to going with the Odin barrel. Ended up with a semi-custom barrel from another manufacturer and I’ll just say I really wish I had tried the Odin.

Plenty of good reports on them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
As stated above, the Odin should serve you well.

But, don't overlook Satern Barrels.

https://www.saternbarrels.net/

They made my Grendel barrels with matched bolts.

They are excellent.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The Odin Works barrel in my original post went on sale so I pulled the trigger on it
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on satern for 6.5G, but a friend has used lots of Odin as well and had great success. Best of luck and let us see what kind of performance you wind up with!
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
My Odin 16" is a solid moa shooter with most loads, doesn't like Hornady sst's (1.25"+ @100)too much though but that's typical of number of different barrels, it's pretty light weight as well and machined nicely.  My Lilja on the other hand, I haven't anything it won't shoot very well including the sst's.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Odin Works barrel in my original post went on sale so I pulled the trigger on it
View Quote

Let us know how it shoots. I have heard good things about them. I have one of their 12in 6.5gr barrel kits I’m going to finish building soon. If it shoots good and kills deer good I might get one of their 16 or 18in too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I have most of the parts to complete the upper and have an action block set coming that should arrive next week.

Still need to decide on a muzzle device and scope.

I haven't a clue on muzzle device yet.

Scopes I'm looking at something that has 4-16 range like the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP or the Arken SH4.  I need fo decide if illuminated reticle and zero stop is something important to me or not.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Vortex, because I would like to support a Wisconsin company.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Chunky upper ?  Just under 7 pounds.

VG6 Precision GAMMA 65  should be here Wednesday and I can shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve got an Odin 6.5 barrel and matched bolt. I would consider accuracy to be “acceptable,” but certainly not excellent. Very ammo sensitive as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally picked up a lower for this upper build.  I'm excited to get to try it out  I can do 300 yards at the local range then I'll have to find somewhere else to stretch it out further.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top