Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2020 9:57:03 AM EDT
Colt upper, lower, Colt 9mm recoil buffer and spring, spinta bolt, faxon barrel.
Was shooting suppressed , last round in 20 round mag went kaboom and not pew.
Case was a mess, primer pushed out, and bullet stuck just in the bore.
No damage to the gun, the gun was dirty. How can I prevent this from happening again?
No, I didn’t take pictures of the case.
Any idea?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably a slam fire.  Check the BCG and make sure the firing pin moves freely and smoothly.  Keep that shit clean.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Slow fire or rapid fire?

Slow fire: what the post above says.

Rapid fire: could be the result of bolt bounce.  Bolt bounces backwards off the bolt face, partially extracting the cartridge as hammer comes forward.  A buffer (5.5 oz. minimum, 6.5 oz - 8.5 oz preferred) with sliding internal weights helps prevent bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Slow fire, I’ll clean everything and double check the bolt. I have been giving thought to the JP silent capture system. I shot one and really liked the recoil pulse. Don’t know if it would affect what happened
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slow fire, I’ll clean everything and double check the bolt. I have been giving thought to the JP silent capture system. I shot one and really liked the recoil pulse. Don’t know if it would affect what happened
View Quote

Definitely check the firing pin and clean/flush/inspect the FP channel.  Could be crud or a little piece of brass caught in there.  Please report back on what you find.

If it's a FP issue, the spring system should have no real effect on the kaboom, but may help moderate the recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Colt upper, lower, Colt 9mm recoil buffer and spring, spinta bolt, faxon barrel.
Was shooting suppressed , last round in 20 round mag went kaboom and not pew.
Case was a mess, primer pushed out, and bullet stuck just in the bore.
No damage to the gun, the gun was dirty. How can I prevent this from happening again?
No, I didn’t take pictures of the case.
Any idea?
View Quote

Use a locked breech or delayed blowback instead of simple blowback.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Factory ammo or reloads?

One of my concerns has always been the possibility of picking up someone's worn out 9mm Major brass without knowing it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry it took so long to update, life issues.
Have the gun a good cleaning and inspected everything. No damage to anything. It was pretty dirty with caked on carbon on the breach face that scrubbed off.
The bolt was fine, extractor was good, fireing pin moved freely. Made sure f/o channel was clean. No issues.
Now, after giving it some thought the issue may be the 20 round mags.
I have had last round malfunction with the 20 round mags. The kaboom was the last round of the mag. Not sure how it could happen but I’ll look hard at the mags.
Thought?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Glock mag lower surrounded by a piece build upper and lower.  I get a lot of bump fired doubles and triples.  Every 400-500 I get an OOB discharge.  Only 2 or 3 have ruptured.  At least that I've noticed.  But I've found at least a dozen heavily bulged cases obviously fired well out of battery.  I've worked up to a 11 or 12oz buffer and rifle spring in a carbine RE.  The problems were worse with carbine buffer and spring.  But I'm not a lefty and 9mm doesn't normally result in anything catastrophic.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Glock mag lower surrounded by a piece build upper and lower.  I get a lot of bump fired doubles and triples.  Every 400-500 I get an OOB discharge.  Only 2 or 3 have ruptured.  At least that I've noticed.  But I've found at least a dozen heavily bulged cases obviously fired well out of battery.  I've worked up to a 11 or 12oz buffer and rifle spring in a carbine RE.  The problems were worse with carbine buffer and spring.  But I'm not a lefty and 9mm doesn't normally result in anything catastrophic.
View Quote

Out of curiosity, have you tried a buffer that has sliding weights inside to prevent the OOB discharge? Colt reportedly had the same problem with their SMG 9mm with the solid buffer, and switched to a sliding weight buffer to fix the problem. The deadblow effect helps prevent OOB discharges resulting from bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, have you tried a buffer that has sliding weights inside to prevent the OOB discharge? Colt reportedly had the same problem with their SMG 9mm with the solid buffer, and switched to a sliding weight buffer to fix the problem. The deadblow effect helps prevent OOB discharges resulting from bolt bounce.
View Quote

No, I have not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m considering the JP SCS system. I’ve shot a JP rifle wit was really smooth
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the heaviest buffer produced for a 9mm?
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From Lots of 9mm AR blowback tuning info without having to search for it.

Buffer weight examples

These are just a few examples of various buffer weights (as advertised, all weights approximate). Some are solid, some have sliding internal weights that help prevent bolt bounce, and some use elaborate designs and materials to reduce perceived recoil. Some are standard carbine buffer length (~3.25") and need a buffer spacer, others are extended length (~4").  6.5 - 8.5oz. is generally considered the "sweet spot" buffer weight range for most 9mm simple blowbacks.

Not for 9mm, for comparison only:
3.0 oz. - 5.56 standard carbine
3.7 oz. - 5.56 H1 carbine
4.6 oz. - 5.56 H2 carbine
5.2 oz. - 5.56 rifle-length buffer

May work for a 9mm simple blowback setup:
5.5 oz. - 9mm carbine (solid, carbine)
5.5 oz. - Bravo Company H3 carbine (sliding weight, carbine)
5.5 oz. - Blitzkrieg elastomeric
6.0 oz. - Blitzkrieg hydraulic
6.1 oz. - Vltor A5H3 (sliding weight, extended)
6.5 oz. - Slash’s HSS Tungsten (sliding weight, carbine)
6.8 oz. - Vltor A5H4 (sliding weight, extended)
7.5 oz. - Macon Armory (sliding weight, extended)
7.5 oz. - Kaw Valley Precision (solid, extended)
7.7 oz. - Spikes tactical st-9x (solid, extended)
8.0 oz. - KAK Industries (solid, extended)
8.5 oz. - Slash’s 9mm-Q Buffer (solid, extended)
10.0 oz. - KAK Industries (sliding weight, extended)
10.0 oz. - Kaw valley Precision (sliding weight, extended)
12.0 oz. - Slash’s 9Q-T (sliding weight, extended)

The Slash's 12oz. Is the heaviest I have found.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

JP SCS lowers the mass of bolt buffer system , and compensates with springs.....not a good idea in my opinion. At the end of the day, no substitute for mass in a blowback gun. Since I made the Deadblow buffer I make, I have not had a single out of battery experience in any of my blowback PCC's and this is over tens of thousands of rounds annually over a space of several years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m considering the JP SCS system. I’ve shot a JP rifle wit was really smooth

JP SCS lowers the mass of bolt buffer system , and compensates with springs.....not a good idea in my opinion. At the end of the day, no substitute for mass in a blowback gun. Since I made the Deadblow buffer I make, I have not had a single out of battery experience in any of my blowback PCC's and this is over tens of thousands of rounds annually over a space of several years.

Humm, what spring do you use? Does the buffer still need a spacer? Does it come at max weight?
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have found 7.5 to 7.7 ounces to be optimal in my guns......heavy enough to dampen recoil (especially with the deadblow effect) yet not so heavy that the bolt cycles slower than I can pull the trigger.....
View Quote

Thanks
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top