Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2020 7:03:03 PM EDT
Hey guys, so I picked up a Module Okw. Its on a 14.5" 5.56 and mounted with a Arisaka inline mount. I have yet to get a switch or tail cap for it. So many options, I hear to use the OKW for distance and I do have a LPVO mounted on the rifle. Would I be stupid to go with the OWL over the OKW? I like the all in 1 package of the OWL but never compared them side by side and not sure which route to take. If I stick with the OKW...what switch system should I go with? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would prefer the modlite over the owl because of the modularity. For the tail cap I’d go with surefire and then you can use a surefire tape switch or a mod button. Get on arisaka’s website and poke around. They’ve pretty much got everything you might be interested in. As usual, lots of out of stock, but it’s a great place to see all of good stuff in one place.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would prefer the modlite over the owl because of the modularity. For the tail cap I’d go with surefire and then you can use a surefire tape switch or a mod button. Get on arisaka’s website and poke around. They’ve pretty much got everything you might be interested in. As usual, lots of out of stock, but it’s a great place to see all of good stuff in one place.
View Quote

Ok thank you. I'll go check them out. I like the modbutton switches and also the cloud defensive but not sure what to get. I'll do more research
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the OKW.

OWL is cool but it is a giant bitch.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn’t the Modlite PLHV2 be a better fit for an all around 14.5?
Take a look at Unity Tactical’s Hot Button.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The cloud defensive REIN is a solution to the "big bitch" OWL
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You’d be spending large amounts of money for incremental differences. The OKW will have higher candela for good long distance performance, but the OWL has substantially higher lumens, which benefits CQB and close range use because it creates a greater amount of light spill.  If distance is the sole purpose for this light, there’s no reason to switch to the OWL and drop 19k candela.  The OWL is a much more well-rounded light than the OKW, but you have to weigh your needs.  

As stated, the OWL is a big bitch, and it’s a lot larger than what people realize.  It’s about as big around as a toilet paper roll tube.  It’s also only designed to be mounted one specific way in one specific location.  In contrast, the Modlites and the Cloud REIN can me mounted in many more locations and configurations, just like the SureFire M600.  You can run the light in a remote location and put the switch wherever, which is a bigger benefit that can be adapted to different rail configurations.  The Modlites also have integration with SureFire switches, which is a great feature.

If you want the best of all worlds, it would make the most sense to get the Cloud Defensive REIN, and not the OWL.  If you just really want the OWL, you’ll be happy with the quality of it and there’s nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#7]
So my duty rifle has an OWL, my personal “recce” has an OKW/modbutton and my t2 mounted AR has a PLH/modbutton.

Overall, I prefer the Modlite ever so slightly more than cloud.

I have an owl on my duty rifle because I work in an urban area, half my time is spent on the street, around vehicles, in alleys, etc. I know it’s gonna be hard to break and it has a good mix of lumens and candela. It’s a heavy bitch though. It’s definitely noticeable and alters balance. For me? When I am clearing a structure, it’s not for such an extended period of time that it starts to fatigue. On stand offs I’m typically posted up behind some sort of cover/concealment and using a barricade of some kind to prop the end of the gun.

You gotta tailor your setup to your needs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys, im gonna stick with the OKW. I have been looking into the hot button/modbutton lite setups. I'll pick one up either here or the website and just go with it. If need be, ill pick up a PLHV head just to compare and then sell the one I like the least. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the OKW
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Had an OWL for a while. Now have a Modlite.  Don't get me wrong, the OWL is fucking awesome, but it's heavy as fuck.  It was fine for me unsuppressed.  With a suppressor there was just too much weight on the front.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top