BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2020 11:22:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Rough chamber finish, most likely.

ETA: Some issues with dwell in pistol gas systems, but that rarely keeps on stuck in the pipe after, even if it failed to eject during normal operation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Really odd it wasn’t that BCA barrel. Did you try another BCG? Would be easy to rule that out.

From there, look at gas block and tube closely...replace if you can.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After several decades of building AR’s, I’ve encountered something I haven’t been able to figure out.

Started out to have a CHEAP 7.5” 5.56 pistol build (the FIRST 7.5” pistol I’ve ever built)

Original build parts...

Bear Creek Armory barrel (hey, it was on close out at $35.00)
Brownells Lightweight BCG
Rise RA-140 drop-in trigger
“80%” Lower I cut out
Wolff XP action spring
2.9 ounce carbine buffer

On the FIRST shot, the round failed to eject! O.K., I figure it might need some adjustments.

THEN I go to eject the fired brass, it won’t eject. The bolt is LOCKED SHUT!

Well, I “mortar drill” it to open the carrier and the empty ejects. I inspect the brass casing, it looks fine.

I try it several more times, the same result.

Then I try playing with carrier weights, buffer weights, action springs.

No matter what combination I try it’s the same result. So I finally come to the conclusion it’s PROBABLY the cheap ass barrel chamber.

So I order a Hanson 7.5” 5.56 barrel, same damn issue! At this point I’m ready to switch to a 10” 5.56 barrel as I’ve always been able to make them run.

Thoughts?
What the hell am I missing?.
View Quote

How much you want for a used $35 barrel?  I have several Glock & AR BCA barrels & the ones I've used so far have worked fine.

Just like you blamed the bargain barrel, some might wonder about your 80% lower, but I doubt that would be in play with the issue you have.  Out of curiosity what upper was it?  Did anything seem tight or finicky when cycling by hand?  Did you try to cycle any rounds by hand?  What ammo were you using?  I've never used or even seen that BCG in person so couldn't say too much about that.  I think a bit more info could help, me maybe at least, I'm sure some of the more experience guru's might be able to diagnose it with the info so far, but I ain't that good.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I assume it cycles fine with snap caps?

If not, check the top of the buffer tube/charging handle. I had an 80% lower where I had to take about 1 mm off the top of the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the Bolt and gas system. It could be another bad chamber. Highly unlikely, but possible.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you check the headspace!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you've swapped out all of the parts except the gas tube and gas block. Might not anything getting through.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Betting on gas tube or block.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#12]
My first AR was a bear creek.  This was before I knew anything about them.
It would fire and eject 62 grain rounds, but 55 grain would get stuck to the point I had to mortar the charging handle to get it to eject.
I figured out that they must not have finished reamed the chamber.
The only thing original on that gun now are the upper and lower.
Lesson learned.
BCA=crap  never again!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you open the upper and lower with a case stuck in the chamber?  I'd fire a round a then pop the upper and lower open and pull the charging handle to see if the case comes out easy or hard.  Easy would indicate the bcg is getting jammed up.

Stuck case/bcg doesn't point to a gas issue.  I'm wondering if there's an interference somewhere between the upper and lower where the bolt interfaces with the buffer.  It doesn't show up when hand cycling because the slower movement allows it to slide over the interference instead of jamming the carrier into it.  Maybe the edge of the buffer tube.  I'd look at that area and see if there's any marks.

Have you tried a different charging handle?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have to mortar several rounds with several barrels and it never worked....

I'd be concerned about rough chambers or fucked locking lugs on bolt and barrel.  

Replace bolt this time and see what happens.  If no work, replace both.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
An under gassed barrel will stick a case every time. It partially extracts then rechambers the spent case.  Ergo, the case sticks in the chamber and requires a lot more force than normal extracting, even mortaring.  
Classic under gassing but you are going to have to find out why it’s under gassed.  I agree with an above poster, swap out gas tube and especially the block.  You’ve ruled out the barrel, carrier, buffer, spring...but using the same gas block and tube.  I’d swap them and if that doesn’t work, using good ammo you know that works, I’d be enlarging the gas port.

Which leads me to this.

Have you checked gas port size?  I work mostly with wildcats and I do a lot of gas port drilling.  Most will say, and I agree to a point, that enlarging the gas port is a last step but I don’t understand why some are damned scared to do it.  Worst case if you go too large is you get an adjustable gas block or reduce port size another way, but it’s certainly not a ruined barrel as some will have you think.
My 7.5”, using a 3HB and standard spring, functions perfectly so it’s not the barrel length per se that’s the problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe take a look at the gas block you installed. A lot of the smaller one are drilled all the way through which makes it possible to insert the gas tube from either end. It might be the problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
gas tube upside down or gas block on backwards?

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]
PursuitSS,

I'm surprised that you are having problems with as many ARs you have built over the years. I have to agree with others about checking the gas tube and gas block since it sounds like you have checked everything else. I know that 7.5" ARs can be finicky at times.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't give up on 7.5". I've got several 7.5"s, I think 2 are BCA. No problems at all! Most of mine run FSB, but I know the steel sadlac gas block and gas tubes from CDNN have worked for me on numerous builds.
I have no idea what could be going on here, but as others said check your gas block and tube.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
gas tube upside down or gas block on backwards?

View Quote

I did the upside down trick recently.  You wouldn't think it would be so easy.

I did a painted 7.5" pistol on a cheap combat arms $109 upper with tungsten buffer weights.  It ran like a top.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Searching for gas, I would also pressure check the bcg key.  Spray the top of the key good and wet with clp, hold the bolt in and put about 100lbs of air to it, look for bubbles.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Hopefully you're like me and you test fired it before you tightened everything down permanently. I just snug things down, gas block and rail, before I test fire, if the test fire gos well then I use red loctite and/or staking on everything.
Anyways, just take off your gas block and verify the gas tube hole lines up with the gas block hole, verify the gas block hole is in the same place as the barrels gas port. Look at the carbon deposit on the top of the barrel.
ETA: that'd be really wild if you got 2 bad barrels from 2 different manufacturers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After several decades of building AR’s, I’ve encountered something I haven’t been able to figure out.

Started out to have a CHEAP 7.5” 5.56 pistol build (the FIRST 7.5” pistol I’ve ever built)

Original build parts...

“80%” Lower I cut out
Wolff XP action spring
2.9 ounce carbine buffer

On the FIRST shot, the round failed to eject! O.K., I figure it might need some adjustments.

Well, I “mortar drill” it to open the carrier and the empty ejects. I inspect the brass casing, it looks fine.

I try it several more times, the same result.

Then I try playing with carrier weights, buffer weights, action springs.

No matter what combination I try it’s the same result. So I finally come to the conclusion it’s PROBABLY the cheap ass barrel chamber.

So I order a Hanson 7.5” 5.56 barrel, same damn issue! At this point I’m ready to switch to a 10” 5.56 barrel as I’ve always been able to make them run.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I had this same issue with my lightweight builds when I didn't have a heavy enough buffer and my buffer springs were enhanced or extra powered. The issue you describe is exactly the problem I was having.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Get that wolf xp out of there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it's a timing issue.  Too much gas, not enough buffer and BCG weight.  What's happening is much like what happens when you try to shoot steel cased ammo out of a way over gassed rifle.

Go with a heavier buffer (maybe and H3), at least a standard weight full auto BCG and possibly an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Original build parts...

“80%” Lower I cut out
Wolff XP action spring
2.9 ounce carbine buffer

Thoughts?
View Quote

Had this exact same problem, in my case it was due to using reloaded ammo that was out of spec.  You won't be able to tell if the brass is out of spec by just looking at it, need to use an ammo checker to detect this.  If the ammo checks out, then try using a go/no-go headspace gauges (though I think ammo is a more likely cause)
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#36]
In for updates, kinda want to build a 7.5.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Run a piece of wire through the gas block and gas tube. Obstruction free?
What size are the gas ports in the barrels?
Are the gas blocks butted up to the shoulder at the gas block journal OR are you leaving a handguard retainer gap?
Some mfr's omit the gap and the gas block should be shouldered against the step, some not.
Are you getting the gas soot shadow above the gas port to confirm alignment?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I have found that there are different lengths of pistol gas tubes.  I was having trouble with a 6.750" .458 SOCOM build that functioned fine but when I would try to cycle the bolt by hand, it was always sticking closed and took a great deal of effort, almost mortaring, to unlock the bolt.  It turned out the gas tube was a hair long and getting jammed into the gas key.  I compared the Brownell's pistol gas tube, the one in it, to a DPMS gas tube and the DPMS was about 1/16 inch shorter.  I swapped out the gas tube and the problem I had was solved.  I have also heard that there are some pistol gas tubes that are shorter than the DPMS tubes but I have not seen those.
Question is, how far back into the receiver does your gas tube come?  It should be a least half-way into the half circle cam pin cutout in the upper.  If it is short you can experience short stroking even though everything else is A-OK.  I had that happen on my .500 Phantom.  The gas tube was about a quarter inch too short and short stroking like crazy.  I finally realized the gas tube was not far enough back and I was losing gas pressure too soon.  The gas key was clearing the tube almost as soon as it was unlocked.  I had an adjustable length gas block made which uses a cut off gas tube set screwed into place to vary the length and that rifle's problem went away also.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a old ass like 1999 16" ASA barrel that would do that. sold the complete upper and started over.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I just became interested in AR pistols about 6 weeks ago and I am soaking all of this information up. OP I hope you get this pistol up and running on your next try. Now back to the top to read all of this thread again
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
O.K., I installed a new gas tube. (My new gas block is back ordered)

I pulled the gas block and it appeared to be installed correctly, a dirty ring surrounding the gas port.

So I reinstalled the gas block with the new gas tube.

I fired a round with a G.I. carrier and it halfway cycled the carrier.

O.K., progress! So I installed the Lightweight carrier out of my wife's AR, a 2A Armament Titanium/Aluminum hybrid carrier.

IT RAN!!!

It's got to be an insufficient gas issue.
View Quote
I'm glad that you got it figured out.  From your posts, it did sound like a gas problem to me. Are you going to stick with the lightweight carrier or try messing with the gas port?
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Are you still running the XP spring?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#46]
KAK has an adjustable buffer kit if you really want to fine tune your buffer weight.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like you’re on the right track.

I was going to say it sounds like a short stroke issue. I’ve seen rifles with short stroking problems actually partially extract, but not far enough to eject, and then force closed on the casing. Obviously this takes some force to pull the casing out, hence your difficulty. I had a FAL years ago that was doing this.

I’ve never seen a chamber issue that didn’t leave telltale signs on the casing, which you didn’t have. So that leaves a gas problem, which on an AR narrows things considerably.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top