Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2023 9:04:52 AM EDT
Anybody use nylon chamber and/or bore brushes? How do they stack up against traditional brass brushes as far as cleaning ability and wear go?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Only experience I have with them is on .22lr firearms that have only been fired with sub sonic ammunition where carbon fouling, not lead and copper, were the contaminant to be removed.

RCA
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By PoopdeckPappy:
Anybody use nylon chamber and/or bore brushes? How do they stack up against traditional brass brushes as far as cleaning ability and wear go?
View Quote

I only use nylon brushes, incl chamber; black bristle. Cleans fine
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Also depends on your bore cleaner of choice.
Nylon is fine for some of the stronger copper removers.
Others, you will need to remove copper fouling with mechanical action, therefore necessitating the need for a metal bristled brush.

RCA
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to use the nylon ones when I use a stronger copper solvent like Sweets 7.62.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been told by some high end competition shooters that a nylon brush will be too harsh for a high end match barrel
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

I only use nylon brushes, incl chamber; black bristle. Cleans fine
View Quote

Same.  Quality cleaners like Bore Tech dont need bronze.  BT recommends nylon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blk99sleekbeak] [#7]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
I have been told by some high end competition shooters that a nylon brush will be too harsh for a high end match barrel
View Quote

While I generally like to defer to people with hands on experience, i have a hard time believing nylon is more abrasive than bronze
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:56:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ronemus] [#8]
I also prefer nylon brushes for copper removers; in addition to creating confusion about whether the last of the copper is gone, good copper solvents will wreck a bronze brush quickly.

I still use a bronze brush when I'm scrubbing carbon - they're much more effective at this than nylon.

Nylon and bronze brushes are so much softer than barrel steel that neither will damage a barrel, with the exception that a bronze brush shouldn't be reversed in the bore - that generates enough force that it can damage the bore.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ronemus:

I still use a bronze brush when I'm scrubbing carbon - they're much more effective at this than nylon.

View Quote

What part are you referring to?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Nylon fishing line wears grooves in the ceramic inserts in the eyes on fishing poles.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Unicorn:
Nylon fishing line wears grooves in the ceramic inserts in the eyes on fishing poles.
View Quote

Is it the nylon doing the abrading, or something it picks up from the water?

RCA
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kingoftheriver:

Is it the nylon doing the abrading, or something it picks up from the water?

RCA
View Quote

Good point, it could be either. But then the same thing will happen with nylon brushes. The same that happens with aluminum or brass, or even soft steel rods when people don't clean them between passes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I do clean rods between passes, but not brushes.
However, I do clean my brushes, whether brass/coiled stainless steel/nylon after cleaning a barrel by blowing them off with a liberal amount of compressed air.

RCA
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup, use the nylon brushes, oil and bore cleaner from Iosso. Works great.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maybeth] [#15]
I own a Stag M4gery, plus the CMMG .22 LR conversion piece too.  I have over a thousand rounds through it just firing .22 LR, and about the same round count with 5.56. And honestly I'm partial to bronze brushes and I have even used the new Hoppe's Tornado brush, (which works like all get out really), that is I think a nylon brush is fine but with the caveat, if I'm cleaning the rifle after a session firing .22 long rifle I want to get all the lead out of the bore because I think there's a chance it'll build up.  Or at least that's what other shooters have indicated can happen.  So when I really want to make sure to clean out all the lead, I'll either use the Tornado brush or else there's always the good old Chore Boy copper pads to wrap the brush in and that'll cut out the lead in no time.  And if I'm doing that I'm thinking the Chore boy will work with either kind of brush.  

By the way, some people say to fire a couple rounds of 5.56 through your M4 rifle after a session of firing .22 LR, supposedly doing that helps clean out the barrel of the lead, or something.  Not sure how that works although I'm sure it doesn't hurt a thing to do it, and that's the advice, so I'll say it too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PoopdeckPappy:
View Quote

I use them only for scrubbing with copper solvent. I soak a patch with copper solvent, then shove it through, removing it at the bore. Repeat twice more. Once the solvent is sitting in the bore, I wait five minutes, then scrub the bore with a nylon brush. Wait two minutes more, then flush with solvent. After that, clean like normal, using a bore snake.

If you use a brass brush when using copper solvent, it will destroy the brush.

Make sure you wipe down the cleaning rod after.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Maybeth:

By the way, some people say to fire a couple rounds of 5.56 through your M4 rifle after a session of firing .22 LR, supposedly doing that helps clean out the barrel of the lead, or something.  Not sure how that works although I'm sure it doesn't hurt a thing to do it, and that's the advice, so I'll say it too.
View Quote
That seems like a good way to embed lead. Only way I see it helping is to warm the barrel before immediately cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Blk99sleekbeak:

While I generally like to defer to people with hands on experience, i have a hard time believing nylon is more abrasive than bronze
View Quote

I'm not saying it does or doesn't, but if it did, it would likely be from contaminants picked up from the brush that act like an abrasive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 4:25:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#19]
Originally Posted By Unicorn:
View Quote

The dynamics a vastly different. Nylon is significantly softer than bronze and not going to harn a bore when use properly. Take a high test nylon line, place it under tension, and pull it rapidly in one direction through your bore for a few hundred yards worth of line and you might have a different result. Similarly, if you take a piece of bronze and do the same thing, I imagine you would see damage as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:16:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Jerry] [#20]
Originally Posted By wile_coyote:
Yup, use the nylon brushes, oil and bore cleaner from Iosso. Works great.
View Quote

OP is correct.  Iosso paste, the one in the tube, is my 1st. choice.

edit:  Ditto on the Nylon Brushes
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to use bronze, now I only use nylon brushes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
If using Hoppe’s no.9 should I use nylon or bronze?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#23]
I am in the most useless thing I ever bought camp. Cleaning with an AR with a bronze/brass type brush right afterwards of doing my best with the nylon was all it took for me to dump the couple I had bought. The fouling just seemed to be harder than the nylon bristles could breakup to me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By spambawx:
If using Hoppe’s no.9 should I use nylon or bronze?
View Quote

Nylon brush will not remove all of carbon fouling using Hoppe's 9, or any other non-abrasive bore cleaner.
It's as effective as patch alone.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Barrel cleaning by Speedy (Hall of fame BR shooter)
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top