Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2022 11:28:43 PM EDT
The stock on my noveske is massive, I’d rather have something shorter, such as a collapsible.

It has a full length rifle buffer tube.  

Is there a way to swap in a carbine buffer tube.

Is a little tricky finding info online about the noveskes especially the AR10.

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
From the factory, they use an intermediate (A5) length receiver extension for adjustable stocks. ArmaLite, KAC and LMT use a similar set-up. You can also use a AR-15 carbine length RE if wanted, but the buffers and springs are specific to which length RE you use. The mechanics of it are pretty straightforward but do require some basic armorers tools.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Slash aka Heavy Buffers can point you in the right direction.  I used his heavy .308 buffer and spring in my build with excellent results.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:50:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I also used the Slash 308 carbine heavy buffer with his recommended 308 carbine spring in my AR-10 with the mil-spec AR-15 carbine buffer tube, with excellent results.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  So I can actually use a ar15 buffer tube and m4 stock?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.  So I can actually use a ar15 buffer tube and m4 stock?
View Quote

You can, but they require a 2.5" 308 carbine buffer and appropriate spring. You can get completion kits, like this one, with every thing you need:
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can, but they require a 2.5" 308 carbine buffer and appropriate spring. You can get completion kits, like this one, with every thing you need:
https://i0.wp.com/kawvalleyprecision.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/KVP-AR10-MilspecKit-5.6-3T-1.jpg?w=400&ssl=1
View Quote

That seems like a straightforward solution.  I’ll look into that.

Any other options? Is there any reason not to go that route?

I’m just looking for a simple cheap solution
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Would this do the trick? Then purchase a m4 stock?

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-308-carbine-buffer-kit
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would this do the trick? Then purchase a m4 stock?

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-308-carbine-buffer-kit
View Quote

Some feel that the Aero buffer weight (3.8oz) is too light, and prefer the mid-5oz buffers. A lot a factors come into play when choosing buffer weight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The main way to swap a fixed stock 308 AR is to use the extended Carbine receiver extension (RE10/A5), with the fixed stock buffer spring and an M4 H3 buffer.

Knight's uses a heavier spring, similar to a heavy Springco buffer spring with an M4 H2 buffer.

None of these springs are the so called "308 Carbine" springs.

One is the 308 fixed stock spring and the other is one of two Springco springs , that are sold as heavy AR15 (not AR10) springs.

With the fixed stock spring, used the extended RE10 extension tube and an M4 3.25" H3 buffer.

With the same extension, but the red Sprinco spring, try an M4 H3 or maybe an H2.

The Springco orange spring is for the shorter extension tube, but is heavier than the red spring.

It is for heavy bullets with an H3 buffer or an H2 buffer with NATO spec ammo.

Sprinco recommends the red spring first.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm pretty sure that a $216 carbine kit w/o stock would fail to meet the OP's "cheap solution". Armalite does sell their AR-10 (DPMS compatible) carbine kit for $75, which is intermediate (A5) length and similar to the KAC kit. Unfortunately, they're often OOS.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that a $216 carbine kit w/o stock would fail to meet the OP's "cheap solution". Armalite does sell their AR-10 (DPMS compatible) carbine kit for $75, which is intermediate (A5) length and similar to the KAC kit. Unfortunately, they're often OOS.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The stock on my noveske is massive, I’d rather have something shorter, such as a collapsible.

It has a full length rifle buffer tube.  

Is there a way to swap in a carbine buffer tube.

Is a little tricky finding info online about the noveskes especially the AR10.

View Quote

This Spikes kit has a 308 fixed stock spring with an M4 H3 buffer.

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-parts/ar-10-lr-308/ar-10-lr-308-buffer-buffer-tubes/spikes-tactical-ar-10-carbine-buffer-tube-kit/

This kit is exactly like Armalite's AR10 Carbine buffer kit.

An alternative is to try a Sprinco, "Red" spring with an M4 H2 buffer, and maybe an H2 buffer with Springco's Orange spring, which is even heavier.

The fixed stock spring with a H3 buffer is standard for AR10's.

The heavier Red spring with an H2 buffer will be more like Knight's 308 Carbine buffer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top