Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2021 3:58:14 AM EDT
I have a few ARs and a lot of extra parts so it was natural for me to use the AR format in building my Hog gun.
I shoot suppressed (Form 1) and semi-autos run dirtier than bolt actions. Suppressors are quieter on a closed chamber than a semi-auto.
Some opinions favor the accuracy of bolt actions over semi-autos... I'm not here to take a side on that debate.
I wanted a straight pull bolt action rifle in 7.62x39 suppressed for hog hunting. A new Savage rifle is over a grand & not in my budget for hog
disposal. I decided on a side charger upper, sealed gas block & no gas tube. See attached pics for my finished build.
(Disclaimer: Again, it's not for everyone's needs or taste)

" />
" />

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Definitely a unique build... how does it shoot?

Look forward to some hog pics.

BTW, welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
How easy or hard is the manual extraction?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm confused. Is it a straight pull once and then semi auto or do you cycle it everytime?

How much does it weight? Looks like a lightweight build.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s weird as hell but cool.  

I like seeing how adaptable the platform is.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#5]
She is ugly, but cool at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She is ugly, but cool at the same time.
View Quote
I concur.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm confused. Is it a straight pull once and then semi auto or do you cycle it everytime?

How much does it weight? Looks like a lightweight build.
View Quote

From the OP:

">side charger upper, sealed gas block & no gas tube".
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How easy or hard is the manual extraction?
View Quote

I'm curious about this too... How is extraction after firing?  Sticky or tough to pull the bolt back?

I'm planning to build something very similar (6.5 G) for novelty and possibly to hunt with. I actually already have the BCA side charging upper but need to build it out. Still waiting on some parts... If mine ends up as a traditional semiauto thats cool, but I like the idea of a straight pull bolt action for some of the reasons you stated, and just to screw around and experiment
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for the delay, was out on first weekend Deer hunting.
It shoots fine, still testing it out but so far I like it for my needs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Not hard but I'm using gloves because after multiple charging my finger feels it. But this is for hunting not going though boxes of ammo per sitting.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
It feels comparable  to my other ARs but the side charger upper receiver is heavier than a regular receiver then adding the suppressor and my scope...I wouldn't consider it an especially
lite build.
With out the gas tube setup no it isn't semi-auto. It's like a normal manual bolt action but with a straight pull back & the spring returns the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, The AR platform unit construction allowed the easy adaption to the manual straight pull, closed chamber rifle I wanted specifically to kill hogs.
Fun pest control.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like an ex-wife...
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#14]
It was at first but breaking in well now. If you built yours with an adjustable gas block & turn it completely off you'd have the same thing but could return to semi-auto with a simple adjustment. I just decided to eliminate the parts not needed for my purpose. I can always reinstall a gas block & tube to return to semi.
Personally, even on a semi-auto AR I would probably used a side charger instead of a center charger after using both.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]
....so, OP built a UK spec AR....

May be worth checking out some of the extended bolt handles used here to assist with manual extraction
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Something to keep in mind... not an issue for me yet but a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally I now prefer the side charger position for either semi or manual AR action but that's not important here.
In the future I may choose to convert it back but with a variable gas block so a quick turn-off for different hunt's uses
can be had easily. For now I have other 'favorite' rifles for different hunt or target or plinking uses. This is just for local hog
disposal  .

New to this forum so not sure how to attach the post I'm answering...Old Guy Texting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

New to this forum so not sure how to attach the post I'm answering...Old Guy Texting.
View Quote
I forget if there's only one mobile format, but for mine, there's a Quote button under posters. Tap it once and there will be a drop-down to choose quote-single or quote-all. Usually single is best. In the post reply editor, the quote should show up in the shaded box like above, so you can make sure it's the correct poster you're replying to.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I forget if there's only one mobile format, but for mine, there's a Quote button under posters. Tap it once and there will be a drop-down to choose quote-single or quote-all. Usually single is best. In the post reply editor, the quote should show up in the shaded box like above, so you can make sure it's the correct poster you're replying to.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/BeastofBurden_Quote_png-2159592.JPG
View Quote

Ah, Thanks... That was it. Now my replies will make sense.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice gun OP. Great hunter; as intended. Perhaps I overlooked, what are you using (loads) on the hogz?
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice gun OP. Great hunter; as intended. Perhaps I overlooked, what are you using (loads) on the hogz?
View Quote

7.62x39  These days (with ammo availability & cost issues) I've been using Herter's 154gr SP steel case stuff.
             Before I was using Hornady Black 123gr SST.  No expert here just happy when the hog isn't.

Got my deer opening weekend so going after a hog (or 2) this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#22]
With a rotary bolt and no need to self-feed, the buffer and spring can probably be left out. It will make the extraction a little easier, but the feed & close a little harder. Then again, you would need a stiff enough bolt to make the carrier stay forward. Maybe some new gas rings and zero lube?
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
With a rotary bolt and no need to self-feed, the buffer and spring can probably be left out. It will make the extraction a little easier, but the feed & close a little harder. Then again, you would need a stiff enough bolt to make the carrier stay forward. Maybe some new gas rings and zero lube?
View Quote

That's what makes the AR format so flexible... I'm pleased with my project so far but there's no telling what changes tomorrow will bring.
So far (using for hunting) if I need a quick follow-up shot I like the 'pull back, let go & back-to-trigger' motion.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks like a villain sniper rifle from a cheesy 90’s action flick.

It’s freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It looks like a villain sniper rifle from a cheesy 90’s action flick.

It’s freaking awesome.
View Quote

Good comparison ... I've been a fan of all cheesy action flicks (beats those cheesy 'chick' flicks the ladies like)
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It looks like a villain sniper rifle from a cheesy 90's action flick.

It's freaking awesome.
View Quote
He hates cans!

There's cans there too!
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Definitely a unique build... how does it shoot?

Look forward to some hog pics.

BTW, welcome to the site.
View Quote

In a Holiday spirit my friend invited me out to his ranch for some Christmas weekend hunting.
He was hunting deer but seeing I already got mine I was out for hogs. I had this upper for normal
daytime hunting but also brought my cheap night vision adapted scope upper for dark opportunities.
Friday morning before dawn a coyote showed up, I shot but he ran so I wasn't sure I hit him. I stayed in the stand and
waited till around 9 for some hogs, none showed. Leaving to go back to the house I saw buzzards circling & found the coyote I shot.
Christmas morning I used this upper to pop a young boar. My friend got his buck as well so it was a wonderful weekend trip for us both.
I took a picture of both but now I don't remember how to load them from my computer to this forum.
Here's the pictures' links:
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Good deal. Funny, the comments regarding cheesy, movie stuff. I personally feel the movies industry plays a large role in weapons design. I do know personally that DARPA has coordinated for decades with Hollywood and the likes. I too laughed and thought "cheesy" when I saw your op. But I also thought it was a very smart build for its intended role.

Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#29]
OK, After my last hunt taking both my uppers, this one for daytime hunting & my night vision upper for dark, I decided to make one upper for both. Duh !!

I really like this straight pull bolt-action but wasn't very happy with the old cheap night vision set up I had on the other upper. It was the old fashion cheap setup
that used a camera & monitor screen. I was holding the rifle but instead of looking thru the scope I was looking at a monitor mounted on top of the scope. Yes, it worked
well enough but was 'micky mouse' for hunting. I decided on a different day/night scope setup... Bottom line is I now have one upper for day & night hog hunting and with
an adjustable gas block I can have my bolt action & semi auto with 3 turns of an allen wrench.
Because I mainly shoot from an enclosed deer stand, I can scan with the new night vision as a hand held monocular then attach it to the scope when the hogs come in.
At night I prefer to shoot suppressed & bolt action. Daytime I do both bolt action & semi-auto.   This is my revised Hog Gun 2.0

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I appreciate the help about how to reply to a certain post on this forum so maybe I can get an answer to this question:

When I started this topic's post I attached links to my pictures & they showed up on my post. I can understand when I
attached links to the kills it might have violated a forum's rule so that's why they didn't show up in that post (sorry).
But in my latest post I added a link to the picture of my gun & it didn't show up in my post (as a pic).
Am I doing something wrong or because I'm new it has to be reviewed before allowing it to show as a pic?

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Established users are being shown your picks and being prompted to review them. Once you get so many approvals, or so many posts  - I'm not positive on the details - your pics will start showing up normally without any reviews needed. It's a way to help weed out new account spammers, and something that all new accounts go through.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#32]
This is a very cool build, but the design of - being ultra quiet bolt action that packs up into a compact discrete guitar case - it honestly looks more like a hollywood assassin gun than a hog gun
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is a very cool build, but the design of - being ultra quiet bolt action that packs up into a compact discrete guitar case - it honestly looks more like a hollywood assassin gun than a hog gun
View Quote

I fully understand... The direction of the gun's build was my first & foremost objective.
The making of a case for it was just a fun project that came about mostly by accident. I sometimes drop by the local Goodwill store to see if any cheap bags or containers are there
that I can reuse for storage or etc.
It just so happened to be an old empty violin case there that started my creative mind going. After doing some measurements this project came into shape.
Yes, looking at it all together it looks like Hollywood's vision of some assassin's secret weapon but that wasn't the original plan...

The usefulness & flexibility of the finished rifle is what is most important to me & my needs for hog disposal. The case, while useful, was just a fun project.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I guess my straight pull bolt action AR15 variation has been kinda validated.
Bushmaster has introduced their new straight pull bolt action rifle at the 2022 Shot Show. Cool !!
https://youtu.be/5Pe04ap1y7c

Bushmaster Delivers Straight Pull AR Rifle at SHOT 2022
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top