Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2023 3:09:17 PM EDT
1. Are all AR-15 mags (Magpul, D&H) interchangeable among all manufacturers from budget to break-the-bank? They'll all be chambered in the same caliber.

Assuming the answer is yes.

2. How long do they last in storage (dry, hot attic or garage)?
3. Realistically how long do they last in use.  My .270 mags (bolt-action) have never failed after years of hunting and range shooting but my .22 mags have.

I'm asking as I'm seeing Magpul PMAG Gen 2 going for 10 dollars for one and 2.50 a piece if I buy a case of 50.  

Even though 2A court cases have been going well I'm also concerned about availability in a few years.

EDIT:

Yikes. My math was wrong. My bad. It's basically $10.00/piece.
https://themagshack.com/shop/rifle-magazines/ar-15-magazines/magpul-gen-2-moe-50-pack-one-case/
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Magazines are mostly interchangeable, you will run across an occasion lower that don't like certain mags. Rare though.
They will last forever in storage.
In a recent test, a gen 3 Pmag lasted 69,881 cycles or 2,096,430 rounds.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/magazine-spring-stress-tests/

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Post a link to the 2.50 pmags.
That's gotta be a typo..
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post a link to the 2.50 pmags.
That's gotta be a typo..
View Quote
If it's true, Afcom would have already bought them all.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The mags will outlast you if stored properly. The only real concern for long term storage is rust on the spring, but unless they are stored somewhere damp it's unlikely.

$2.50 a mag is well below dealer cost. I'm guessing that's a typo. Usually the cheapest you can find gen 2 pmags is around $7 a piece.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
$2.50? I’ll take about a thousand
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
My math was wrong - see edit on post.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
My math was wrong. My only excuse (there isn't one) was that I wasn't all that sober when looking around last night. :)
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Just buy the case of 50. You'll appreciate it later. If you want to split up the cost, buy like 20 now and a few here and there until you get divorced. Then buy more
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Divorced? How did you know? :)
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
99 bucks. Free shipping Here
Here

I would not buy all pmags.
Buy some regular ones too..my collection is 50/50
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you. 10 mags is more than enough to get started.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Divorced? How did you know? :)
View Quote

Well, if you're already divorced, then start with 50. Why not?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a dozen Gen M3 Pmags.
Use 5 at the range, keep one loaded for HD, keep 6 in the safe for later.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are no fun. Quit being practical with his money
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you. 10 mags is more than enough to get started.
View Quote

10 is a solid starting point. Actually, it's kind of the reccomended starting point. Now and then grab one or Two when you order ammo and before long you'll have a stack of them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]
A fat 50 ammo can hold 32 USGI mags, fully loaded of course.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Every time I order ammo, I order more mags to load it all into. Not sure how many I have now but mostly they are metal mags. Pmags I probably have about 40 or so... never had any issues. With 6k rounds in mags, I can probably calm down on growing the collection though... temporarily.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Magazines are mostly interchangeable, you will run across an occasion lower that don't like certain mags. Rare though.
They will last forever in storage.
In a recent test, a gen 3 Pmag lasted 69,881 cycles or 2,096,430 rounds.

https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/magazine-spring-stress-tests/

View Quote

Basically this. Buy reputable magazines: Lancers, PMags, ETS, Brownells, D&H, Okay, Center Industries.

There is some fanboyism on this site that will make it sound as though all of your feedlips will crack or spread if you don't buy a certain brand, but for every one of those posts there will be one from some dude who found a Pmag that's been sitting in his shed for 10 years loaded without the cover that works just fine.

I recommend staying away from Promag, although people seem to say their new rollermags feed fine, they're not any cheaper than a pmag. MFT mags have a reputation for spreading feedlips. I keep the covers on the Pmags I keep loaded.

There were some Korean Steel magazines that Global Ordnance was selling for $5 a while ago that are supposed to work well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#20]
i  have 12 of these  colt mags.. except mine were 5 bucks each, 10 years ago.  these are my go to range mags. they were heavily used when i got them.  I have never had  any issues.
what I'm trying to say is, if you buy known quality magazines, you will not have any issues.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Try each of your new mags in your weapon or weapons.

I have run into Surefire 60's and a few other types, usually in plastic of some kind that will not fit into certain weapons, including military issue weapons.

If they don't fit, sell them to someone where they do.

I still have 20 round Colt mags from the 60's military contracts that function like new.

If they get damaged, get rid of them, or mark them for range or training use only.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#24]
OP I have only been using the AR/M16 platform since 1996 however, I will tell you this from experience............

Unfortunately Okay/Surefeed is no longer making magazines in which this would be my first choice for a top quality magazine in an aluminum mag.

D&H is my second choice for a top quality aluminum magazine.

Magpul makes excellent quality polymer magazines.

Outside of what I have mentioned I have no experience.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why would you keep empty extra mags in the safe?

Seriously, I'll never understand this habit some folks have of putting misc stuff in the safe. I kind of understand locking up ammo if you have children who don't know better. But mags?
Get a tote, organize as much or as little as you'd like. When tote is full, start the next one. In my closet I use one of those little cube organizer things rather than totes, but my "extras" go in MTM totes that get stacked, along with ammo I don't expect to use soon, some spare parts, slings, old soft gear... I used to use just regular plastic ones like you'd get at Walmart but they don't seem to hold up well over time and I only have a couple left that get used for lighter stuff.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Seriously, I'll never understand this habit some folks have of putting misc stuff in the safe. I kind of understand locking up ammo if you have children who don't know better. But mags?
Get a tote, organize as much or as little as you'd like. When tote is full, start the next one. In my closet I use one of those little cube organizer things rather than totes, but my "extras" go in MTM totes that get stacked, along with ammo I don't expect to use soon, some spare parts, slings, old soft gear... I used to use just regular plastic ones like you'd get at Walmart but they don't seem to hold up well over time and I only have a couple left that get used for lighter stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everyone is a hoarder.

All of my gun stuff, every single thing, ammo included,
is in two safes that are both in one small closet. I own 7 firearms in total, every magazine I own, pistol and rifle, are in one boot box, and I guarantee you I have enough to last the rest of my life IF I shoot as much as I do now and IF I keep doing it for another 25 years.  

The idea around here to buy hundreds of magazines is insane. Our lives are finite, plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
100's of magazines is probably a bit much. I do think that you should have well more than you think you need though. If/when they ban them again and you can't get anymore (possibly forever this time) it's nice to know that you have more than you'll ever need. It doesn't mean you need hundreds, but I figure if you take what you honestly consider as the amount you need for normal use and triple it, that's a solid number. It will vary by person, but it gives you enough that if you can no longer get them and that has to last you forever... You're still completely comfortable and would even be willing to kick a few to a friend in need. THAT is enough. Being prior Army when I think of how many I need 7 automatically comes to mind. So, I've trippled that and then I trippled that too. Cuz being Infantry and all, math no so good for me
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#28]
i keep allot of expensive mags in a safe , but ordinary mags i have in a file cabinet with a lock
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Basically this. Buy reputable magazines: Lancers, PMags, ETS, Brownells, D&H, Okay, Center Industries.

View Quote

Fixed it for ya.  OP, shame you missed the Okay gold rush.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you. You mean ETS not Lancer. Lancers are gtg. ETS are
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Based on my experience with my 16 range Magpul PMags, all 20 rounders and the number of rounds through them, along with years, I have enough mags to last me 250 years.  I will never buy another mag.  

I have been using the same 16 mags for at least 12 years, same springs, same followers and when cleaned up they look new.

Clarification:  My 16 range mags are not all PMags, there are some Lancer 20 round mags mixed in and yes, these too have been fantastic, not one issue.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a test thread here a few months ago that suggested Lancers are not only more durable, but also more reliable at feeding than Pmags.

I haven't seen much negative about ETS rifle mags aside from the fatness of the baseplates, and mine have held up well.

So until either of you substantiate you haven't fixed shit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There was a test thread here a few months ago that suggested Lancers are not only more durable, but also more reliable at feeding than Pmags.

I haven't seen much negative about ETS rifle mags aside from the fatness of the baseplates, and mine have held up well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancers are not, and never have been even as reliable as a GI aluminum mag.

You van say whatever you want about a Pmag, but feeding issues is something they don’t have.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lancers are not, and never have been even as reliable as a GI aluminum mag.

You van say whatever you want about a Pmag, but feeding issues is something they don’t have.  
View Quote

I never said anything against pmags. Most of my mags are pmags.

But Lancers are a quality magazine.

It's interesting to see the difference between now and 12 years ago when everyone was shitting on aluminum magazines. I have plenty of those as well.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top