Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2022 10:27:13 PM EDT
Let me get this straight, no brace, no demerit system on a AR platform pistol under 26" in length?

Pistol buffer tube or bare carbine buffer tube with no brace you can have BUIS, angled foregrip, LVPO, etc, etc, etc? Correct?

Thordsen Customs cheek rests/buffer tube covers might make a comeback.

Not planning on changing out anything right now, but looking for some clarification.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah...unless they decide they want to bust you anyway.  I guess if it's clearly not 'shoulder-able'....
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct.  No brace, you are GTG as a pistol as long as you don't have a VFG (unless over 26 inches).
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this confirmed?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
And you can get a SBA3 off in about 10 seconds. This really is not that big of deal.

Until some court kicks this thing out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this confirmed?
View Quote

The proposed reg's pertain to the use of a pistol brace as a shoulder stock.  No brace, no worries.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
As it currently reads, yes.  After the final rule posts, who knows.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly they shoot ok with just cheek weld. Just sucks you wont get the maximum potential out of it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly they shoot ok with just cheek weld. Just sucks you wont get the maximum potential out of it.
View Quote

If you adjust your 2-point sling so that you are pushing against the resistance of the sling with your grip hand and weld the tube to your cheek you can be quite consistent.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think it really matters. The ATF seems to be just making up random stuff as they go along. It might be ok today and "illegal" next month.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think it really matters. The ATF seems to be just making up random stuff as they go along. It might be ok today and "illegal" next month.
View Quote

This.  Remember bump stocks and the Atkinson 10-22 stocks?  Legal today, machine guns tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That right there is indeed the problem.
BUT, I think the more they make up (overreach), the less likely someone ends up in jail.  It becomes more about fear, and strangulation of the market, then actually trying to prosecute a case in court.

No one is going to jail over bumpstocks....and the Army already said a bumpstock isn't a machine gun in the one case they had.   Braces are far more common.  

I'm not sure if the AFT really wants to go to court with people waving around letters that say their Shockwave/Tailhook Mod 2/are ATF approved braces.....or even worse, take someone to court that has a brace which passes their new point system, but is somehow no longer a brace because of the wrong accessories, or because the AFT just felt like it.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That right there is indeed the problem.
BUT, I think the more they make up (overreach), the less likely someone ends up in jail.  It becomes more about fear, and strangulation of the market, then actually trying to prosecute a case in court.

No one is going to jail over bumpstocks....and the Army already said a bumpstock isn't a machine gun in the one case they had.   Braces are far more common.  

I'm not sure if the AFT really wants to go to court with people waving around letters that say their Shockwave/Tailhook Mod 2/are ATF approved braces.....or even worse, take someone to court that has a brace which passes their new point system, but is somehow no longer a brace because of the wrong accessories, or because the AFT just felt like it.  

View Quote

I think the point is to dare people to take them to court over it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And you can get a SBA3 off in about 10 seconds. This really is not that big of deal.

Until some court kicks this thing out.
View Quote

Pssh, you can remove a devoid plug and SBA3 in under 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
The Army?

"No one is going to jail over bumpstocks....and the Army already said a bumpstock isn't a machine gun in the one case they had.   Braces are far more common."
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Army?

"No one is going to jail over bumpstocks....and the Army already said a bumpstock isn't a machine gun in the one case they had.   Braces are far more common."
View Quote

Sorry, it was a Marine/JAG.  

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/09/us-military-courts-rules-bump-stocks-are-not-machine-guns/
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#16]
So why can you just get a longer buffer tube and use it to rest against your shoulder ? Thats my plan if all this goes into affect . The atf so dang stupid and they hardly make any sense at all .
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So why can you just get a longer buffer tube and use it to rest against your shoulder ? Thats my plan if all this goes into affect . The atf so dang stupid and they hardly make any sense at all .
View Quote

I built this before all the AFT crap started and think it is precisely what you refer to.  The round buffer tube is 9" long which gets my 10.5" barreled upper to over 26" OAL.  I do the push/pull method, adjusting the sling so when I push against it with my grip hand the LOP is where I want it and cheek welded against the foam sleeve.  At this point the rear of the tube is about an inch in front of my shoulder and if I feel the need I can just pull it back for that forth point of contact.  Work just fine and FAFT

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Ain't nobody got time fo that
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#19]
suggestion of what I use

for nose to charging handle facing target... KAK 81/2" buffer tube... reinforced shoulder... you need to modify the end plate by removing the alignment lug ... I use a rubber end cap, but not essential... for incremental length of pull the end cap can hold a spacer... not unacceptable discomfort

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/sig-sb15-pistol-buffer-tube

for slightly longer length of pull, a standard rifle length buffer tube and mill the end nut off of it... optional rubber end cap
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ain't nobody got time fo that
View Quote

Fo what?
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll just put a stock on it. Fuck em at this point.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Essentially where many will be at, I feel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly this
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm curious.  What if you attach the brace to your shoulder?  And just set the buffer tube into it.
Cut the brace down a little so the buffer slides in an inch or two.  Get a vest or something with velcro and velcro on the brace.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm curious.  What if you attach the brace to your shoulder?  And just set the buffer tube into it.
Cut the brace down a little so the buffer slides in an inch or two.  Get a vest or something with velcro and velcro on the brace.

TYCOM
View Quote

I like your thinking lol,
Like a one of those Shooter’s or tactical vest that have the padded shoulder - and sew one of those U-shape door jamb catches on it or something.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

TYCOM
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

TYCOM
View Quote

Hmmmm, maybe a surgical implant?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#28]
So far nothing in stone and no rule changes yet.

In case some silly rules ever are made, I designed a shooting vest with a padded shoulder block that accepts a receiver extension.

I can adjust the thickness for distance to the trigger and it has a recessed pocket for the rear of the extension.

It doesn't have to resemble anything like an arm brace.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In case some silly rules ever are made, I designed a shooting vest with a padded shoulder block that accepts a receiver extension.

I can adjust the thickness for distance to the trigger and it has a recessed pocket for the rear of the extension.

View Quote

Have seen "pistols" with rifle RE's with a cane tip or chair leg tip on the end that would serve the same purpose without having to align anything on the body.  I have a pistol I built a while back that has a 9" extended round buffer with a foam sleeve that I can weld my cheek to and shoot quite consistently and accurately, but I can also pull back to my shoulder for the 4th point of contact should I feel the need.  No brace, no problem.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#30]
2 THUMBS WAAAYYY UP
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

2 THUMBS WAAAYYY UP!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/09/us-military-courts-rules-bump-stocks-are-not-machine-guns/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Army?

What choice did they have? I'm sure they didn't want their next batch of 'M4's' to be semi autos with braces attached.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Have seen "pistols" with rifle RE's with a cane tip or chair leg tip on the end that would serve the same purpose without having to align anything on the body.  I have a pistol I built a while back that has a 9" extended round buffer with a foam sleeve that I can weld my cheek to and shoot quite consistently and accurately, but I can also pull back to my shoulder for the 4th point of contact should I feel the need.  No brace, no problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but my response was due to proposal to limit pistol receiver extensions to 6.5", measured from the rear of the receiver.

If that happens, long extensions or things that lengthen them may be off the table.

That's the issue up for proposal now, how different things that extend extensions to act as shoulding devices, whatever those may be called, arm braces or extensions.

Anybody can make a flared or padded extension, but would it pass the test?

The brace proposals, also include anything that makes the extension longer than usual, regardless if it is called a brace or not.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, but my response was due to proposal to limit pistol receiver extensions to 6.5", measured from the rear of the receiver.

If that happens, long extensions or things that lengthen them may be off the table.

That's the issue up for proposal now, how different things that extend extensions to act as shoulding devices, whatever those may be called, arm braces or extensions.

The brace proposals, also include anything that makes the extension longer than usual, regardless if it is called a brace or not.
View Quote

Define "longer than usual."  An A2 receiver extension is a thing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the proposed 6.5" pistol receiver length limit or demerits, or however it may be implemented.

That's the usual carbine / M4 extension length pass the receiver.

The proposal states the length as 6.5" as measured from the rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think this is still dependant upon the brace, or no brace.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it comes down to anything that extends to the rear more than 6.5", regardless if it is called an arm brace, a shoulder stock or an extension.

Pistol extensions, "longer than 6.5 inches."

The whole brace issue is they extend from the rear of the receiver, as a shoulder stock does, or anything else that might be placed against the shoulder.

A longer extension with or without a pad on it wouldn't be any different just because you don't call it a brace.

The rearward length is the first thing that would determine suitability, not what you name it.

If braces were limited to 13.5 inches from the trigger, would a 14" extension fly?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Actually it comes down to anything that extends to the rear more than 6.5", regardless if it is called an arm brace, a shoulder stock or an extension.

The whole brace issue is they extend from the rear of the receiver, as a shoulder stock does, or anything else that might be placed against the shoulder.

A longer extension with or without a pad on it wouldn't be any different just because you don't call it a brace.

The rearward length is the first thing that would determine suitability, not what you name it.

If braces were limited to 13.5 inches from the trigger, would a 14" extension fly?
View Quote

But the proposal has to do with pistol BRACES being used as a stock.  No brace, no stock, no problem.  I think you are reading too much into it, but time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But the proposal has to do with pistol BRACES being used as a stock.  No brace, no stock, no problem.  I think you are reading too much into it, but time will tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but what would be the legal definition of an, "arm brace"?

Its use as as a shoulder stock is determined by its length?

It extends the receiver extension.

It is about length, not construction.

Define, "brace."

The length restrictions are for handguns, including devices referred to as braces.

If you think it might be restricted to just braces that are now currently available commercially, that would likely be wrong.

Somebody makes a wooden extension, a plastic extension, a padded extension or an extension with a strap, it is about extending the rear of a handgun for better use as a shoulder stock.

Just because you remove a current style brace, doesn't make an equally long receiver extension meet the proposed rules.

If that was there was to it, somebody would just make receiver extensions as long and as wide as they like.

With AR pistols, part of the proposals would be to limit receiver extension on AR pistols to 6.5 inches.

If that only applied to mounting currently sold arm braces, there would be 12 inch braceless extensions flooding the market.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Define, "brace."

The length restrictions are for handguns, including devices referred to as braces.

If you think it might be restricted to just braces that are now currently available commercially, that would likely be wrong.

Somebody makes a wooden extension, a plastic extension, a padded extension or an extension with a strap, it is about extending the rear of a handgun for better use as a shoulder stock.

Just because you remove a current style brace, doesn't make an equally long receiver extension meet the proposed rules.

If that was there was to it, somebody would just make receiver extensions as long and as wide as they like.

With AR pistols, part of the proposals would be to limit receiver extension on AR pistols to 6.5 inches.

If that only applied to mounting currently sold arm braces, there would be 12 inch braceless extensions flooding the market.
View Quote

I am no lawyer nor AFT, but I read a "brace" as being an attachment to a buffer tube, not the tube itself.  Could a cane tip on the end of a receiver extension be considered a "brace"?  Perhaps, but I don't see the tube itself being considered a "brace" regardless of length.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am no lawyer nor AFT, but I read a "brace" as being an attachment to a buffer tube, not the tube itself.  Could a cane tip on the end of a receiver extension be considered a "brace"?  Perhaps, but I don't see the tube itself being considered a "brace" regardless of length.  
View Quote

That is my take as well.
AFT is somewhat boxing themselves in, (which is probably why they had the BS "we can declare anything an SBR" wording), but criteria for a brace is somewhat defined.  No brace, no problem.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#43]
It's the same issue, an attachment long enough to aid firing from the shoulder, including whatever length of receiver extension is used.

A 12 inch extension is not going to circumvent that.

It will still be seen as aiding shoulder firing.

That's the whole reason for the inclusion of receiver extension length on pistols in the proposed rule changes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's the same issue, an attachment long enough to aid firing from the shoulder, including whatever length of receiver extension is used.

That's the whole reason for the inclusion of receiver extension length on pistols in the proposed rule changes.
View Quote

But you could do that today.  
Nothing is stopping you from running an extended buffer tube.

Tennis ball or cane tip =/= brace

Sounds like you are trying to design a homemade stock (used to aid shoulder firing) instead of a brace (used to aid firing with one hand).
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

An attachment to the receiver extension, not the receiver extension itself.  Again, I think you are reading too much into it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#46]
The thing I find the most humorous is 'Length of pull', how does one determine the LOP of a pistol? Pad on index finger is 5.25" from thumb.
Also I am not so sure I would agree with the "No brace, no problem" as not being included on their worksheet, but that is just me and I am a computer nerd not a legal eagle of any sort.

Steve
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The thing I find the most humorous is 'Length of pull', how does one determine the LOP of a pistol? Pad on index finger is 5.25" from thumb.
Also I am not so sure I would agree with the "No brace, no problem" as not being included on their worksheet, but that is just me and I am a computer nerd not a legal eagle of any sort.

Steve
View Quote

Their "worksheet" is to determine whether your "brace" is in fact a "stock" and your weapon an unregistered SBR.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Their "worksheet" is to determine whether your "brace" is in fact a "stock" and your weapon an unregistered SBR.
View Quote

The worksheet is only part of the problem, and a distraction.  It was never intended as a clear or useful tool to allow a passing score.  Read the full proposed factoring criteria at the federal register.  They specifically state that certain other accessories, such as hand stops and flip up sights (or even the absence of sights), will be used in conjunction with length of pull, weight, and the presence of a brace to determine that your pistol is an unregistered SBR.  They also go on to state that even if your pistol falls below the 4 point maximum they reserve the supposed authority to still classify your pistol as an SBR at their own whim based on their determination of "intent".  While we are trying to play three card monty with their worksheet, they are trying to push through other broad reaching rules that make it impossible for us to win a rigged game.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Define, "brace."

View Quote

OK - So Just Make the Receiver LONGER in the back. Then attach the "extension" of 6.5"

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The worksheet is only part of the problem, and a distraction.  It was never intended as a clear or useful tool to allow a passing score.  Read the full proposed factoring criteria at the federal register.  They specifically state that certain other accessories, such as hand stops and flip up sights (or even the absence of sights), will be used in conjunction with length of pull, weight, and the presence of a brace to determine that your pistol is an unregistered SBR.  They also go on to state that even if your pistol falls below the 4 point maximum they reserve the supposed authority to still classify your pistol as an SBR at their own whim based on their determination of "intent".  While we are trying to play three card monty with their worksheet, they are trying to push through other broad reaching rules that make it impossible for us to win a rigged game.
View Quote

Aware of all that, and it sucks, but keep in mind that none of that applies if there is no brace.

The struggle is adding an "approved" brace, and having to jump through all of the BS hoops.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top