Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2018 10:56:11 AM EDT
I ordered a premium, phosphated, marked BCG from a large retailer but received an unmarked black nitride BCG instead.

Not sure I want to deal with the hassle of an RMA.  What are your thoughts on parkerized vs nitride finished bolts?  Any reason to prefer one over the other?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Without knowing the retailer you can't go wrong with either. I prefer nitride finish only for the cleaning aspect, but phosphate isn't hard to clean either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

I'm sure the quality is the same for either bolt.  I was just a little dismayed at not getting the part that I'd actually ordered.  This one will work just as well, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Without you naming names I’ve seen a couple posts about a vendor substituting lately. Nitride is a little easier to clean, both are solid and made by the same Quality company if my assumptions are correct. Should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I only use AIM Nitride BCG's.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ordered a premium, phosphated, marked BCG from a large retailer but received an unmarked black nitride BCG instead.

Not sure I want to deal with the hassle of an RMA.  What are your thoughts on parkerized vs nitride finished bolts?  Any reason to prefer one over the other?

Thanks!
View Quote
Assuming the quality is there (bolt that is pressure tested, proper steel substrate), you got an upgrade at no extra cost.  Nitride is extremely hard and corrosion resistent.  And, yes, much easier to clean.  I would ask the vendor to confirm specs on the bolt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Assuming the quality is there (bolt that is pressure tested, proper steel substrate), you got an upgrade at no extra cost.  Nitride is extremely hard and corrosion resistent.  And, yes, much easier to clean.  I would ask the vendor to confirm specs on the bolt.
View Quote
The advertised specs for the nitrided BCG are the same as the phosphated BCG.  There are a lot of people on this forum that have bought this bolt from the same vendor with no issues, so I'm not worried about the quality.  Just a bit put out that I didn't get exactly what I'd ordered.  Since it's an upgrade, I'm good with it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:09:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my Nitride bolts. Nice and slick and much easier to clean, even though reliability should come before cleaning, they have been 100% reliable for me. The only issue is they don't hold oil well at all, but then again it seems they can run with a much thinner layer of oil then a phosphated bolt. Either way you will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I significantly prefer a Nitride bolt over standard. Good swap.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top