Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2023 1:46:11 AM EDT
I'm looking at different tactical lights to mount on my rifle and came across these two companies. Yes I understand surefire is a standard, and even streamlight, but I'm wondering how these hold up. For 100-120 plus mount and tailcap don't seem too bad. Anyone have any experience with either of these?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't really used one as a weaponlight, but I've had a Fenix UC35 as my EDC light for a while and haven't had any issues. Did throw it in one of those cheap clamp mounts for a few days, but wasn't a great option, stuck out a lot.

In that price range, I'd suggest the Streamlight HL-X, have had two of them that have work great on my AUG. Plus you get scout mount compatibility which gives you better mounting options. Haven't seen any Nitecore or Fenix options with that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I carried a Nitecore as my main duty light for probably 5 years with zero issues. It's still a back up light.

These days the HLX is hard to beat for a rifle. They are 120-130 bucks, comes with a mount and a pressure switch. Extremely hard to beat for the money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I have lots of Fenix handhelds. But I have had some infrequent issues such a switch going out or become erratic. Overall I really like them. But, for lights I depend on for home defense or job site I switched to Streamlight. Very tough handhelds. The TLR1HL and TLR7A lights on my pistols have held up very well through thousands of rounds over many years. I just would not trust a Fenix WML even though I favor them for casual use.

Now the Arisaka/Malkoff light on my AR is in an entirely higher class of ruggedness and has a more focused beam appropriate for a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I just turned one of my guns into a night rig, ir laser, ir light and dropped a lot of money on it. Want to be able to see in the dark. So my thoughts were I need a day rig. Don't really plan on any low light situations but I still want it. I like the high output and adjustable features on these. If needed I could just use the light for tracking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Got a Z Bolt light

Talk about great outdoor light, absolutely phenomenal.
Able to change heads/lens filters.

Had a  Unity pressure switch,,that I use
Kit also came with scout mount adapter
Nite core headlamp,,hand held ,no issues.
Just got a bicycle light from them to,,so far no issues

Fenix,,seval hand held,,a nother backup bicycle light,
no issues.

Shotgun has a Surefire.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]
With even minor use, I've broken some of the Chinese lights.  Jetbeam and Fenix, IIRC.

Too complex interfaces don't help (with the handhelds).  IMO, point of failure with that amount of electronics. That being said, I have one on my
competition belt for the lumens.

Candlepowerforums.com would be a good place to check for more opinions.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I'm considering Fenix tk22 tac. I think this might fill my needs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I'm considering Fenix tk22 tac. I think this might fill my needs.
View Quote

I have an old TK12 on my 6920, has four modes including strobe and good throw. Fenix makes switches for that light.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:38:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have an old TK12 on my 6920, has four modes including strobe and good throw. Fenix makes switches for that light.
View Quote

Are you happy with the Fenix light? What puts me off is that it only has a few seconds on turbo. I want a good throw, enough to shine a field.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I did the whole complicated rotating tail switch thing a few years back with Chinese lights including using a 1" QD ring mount for a handheld. Save yourself the trouble and get a Streamlight HLX rail mount and use the simple tail cap switch. Set it up for high only. The multimode lights are fine for handheld but today I use a HLX handheld with a low beam I have to multitap to get to. Never have need for more. The only usefull multi mode lights I still use are Zebra headlamps.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I did the whole complicated rotating tail switch thing a few years back with Chinese lights including using a 1" QD ring mount for a handheld. Save yourself the trouble and get a Streamlight HLX rail mount and use the simple tail cap switch. Set it up for high only. The multimode lights are fine for handheld but today I use a HLX handheld with a low beam I have to multitap to get to. Never have need for more. The only usefull multi mode lights I still use are Zebra headlamps.
View Quote

I don't see myself using anything but high mode, it's for mounting to a rifle and looking for yotes and tracking deer. If I'm shooting in a field I want to be absolutely sure I know what is out there. Even have a pvs-14 with a ir torch to be safe. I've never coyote hunting and I live in a area where there's plenty. Next purchase will be some kind of electronic call. I'm trying to find the right light for my needs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm also looking at the P23i
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a Fenix tk12 with tape switch on a rifle for a bit. Tape switch intermittently fails after very little use. Go with the tried and true Streamlight if on a budget.

Edit: Although probably unlikely I would be worried about 18650 batteries getting damaged in a light without springs and components designed for recoil.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
NEVER AGAIN! I purchased a Nitecore from Amazon. It stopped working like 3 or 4 months in with the lightest of use. Emailed Nitecore and they said I could send it in but it had to go to China AND I had to pay to send it there and probably wouldnt have seen it for 2 or 3 months.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Also had a Fenix light that stopped working in one month.

I have Surefires cheapest handheld, it stinks  takes 2 CR123's and steps down its brightness in under 5 minutes of us. I throw it in a box for a rainy day if my man light breaks.

Now I have a Olight Warrior x 3 that i love super brigt and well made, lets see if it can pass the 4 month mark as a duty light, so far one month in.

I did buy some cheap flashlights off of Aliexpress just to mess around with, I think I got 7 or 8 of them with 2 actually being decent that i  have one on my backup duty rig as a duty light, 2 in my truck as truck lights and one on my beside as a bump in the night light. Just had bad experiences with Fenixand Nitecore though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I'm going to break down and spend the money on the cloud defense rein 3.0. It has the throw I want. I want it to shine a field. I live in the country and have coyotes around and need to protect my dogs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Got a Nitecore New P30  its bright no problems yet but its not that old.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also had a Fenix light that stopped working in one month.

I have Surefires cheapest handheld, it stinks  takes 2 CR123's and steps down its brightness in under 5 minutes of us. I throw it in a box for a rainy day if my man light breaks.

Now I have a Olight Warrior x 3 that i love super brigt and well made, lets see if it can pass the 4 month mark as a duty light, so far one month in.

I did buy some cheap flashlights off of Aliexpress just to mess around with, I think I got 7 or 8 of them with 2 actually being decent that i  have one on my backup duty rig as a duty light, 2 in my truck as truck lights and one on my beside as a bump in the night light. Just had bad experiences with Fenixand Nitecore though.
View Quote

The Warrior X3 is a beast. I ordered a Cloud Defensive OWL for my PSA JAKL 5.56 SBR but I just don't care for it and ended up putting a Warrior X3 on it.  I much prefer the Olight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I received the Rein 3, omfg it's bright. It lights up my yard. Haven't checked my field out yet. It does get very hot in a short time, I'm guessing that's normal.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Warrior X3 is a beast. I ordered a Cloud Defensive OWL for my PSA JAKL 5.56 SBR but I just don't care for it and ended up putting a Warrior X3 on it.  I much prefer the Olight.
View Quote

Someone preferring olight over cloud is extremely rare, but im glad youve found something that works for you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh no, DEF not choosing it over cloud just I cant justify spending cloud money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Someone preferring olight over cloud is extremely rare, but im glad youve found something that works for you.
View Quote

The Cloud just isn't that bright to me, and I hate the way that the beam flickers when I tap the pad to go constant on.  That just isn't something that I expected from a $400 light.  Is it an engineering masterpiece otherwise?  Yes, it really is

I recently picked up an Olight Javelot mini to carry, and the beam of this thing is punchy as hell.  It is only rated 1,000 lumens, but it actually has more throw and a wider, more even hotspot than the Warrior X3, which is 2,500 lumens.    They make a weapon light version of it that is about to be on sale in a day or so for $100.  I think this thing will be an amazing weapon light.  They rate it at 88,320 candela and I absolutely believe it.

Edit: I found a video.  Just look at that beam.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxFNKpNyG1bh4LS4tB8-RnuxBTIUagPlZo
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought 2 Fenix handheld lights ~10 years ago and they both shit the bed within a year.
Streamlights have been my go-to since, and I have a ton of them without issue (1x 2aaa, 2x2aa, 3x1aa/1xcr123a, 1x2LX,3xhlx, 6xtlr1hl)
Also have a CD REIN, but my go to/most recommended/on my hd rifle is the Streamlight HL-X (though I don't trust their remote switches).
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to break down and spend the money on the cloud defense rein 3.0. It has the throw I want. I want it to shine a field. I live in the country and have coyotes around and need to protect my dogs.
View Quote

Have the Rein 1.0 on my bougie rifle and have a 3.0 on the way for my wife's rifle. You won't be disappointed.
I was able to hit steel at 600yds with the 1.0 and an NX8 1-8X.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have the Rein 1.0 on my bougie rifle and have a 3.0 on the way for my wife's rifle. You won't be disappointed.
I was able to hit steel at 600yds with the 1.0 and an NX8 1-8X.
View Quote

That's pretty impressive. I haven't tried to shoot 100s of ysrds with my 1.0, but I live in the sticks and it damn sure lights things up out here.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top