Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2018 10:53:54 PM EDT
I've seen and read plenty of reviews of the Nx8 and they all talk about the reticle at 1x and 8x, but nobody talks about it in between. 3x 4x 6x
I have a nightforce 2.5-10x24 and despite being SFP i use it on 2.5 and 5x a lot. Especially at low light when 10x can't transfer any light to my pupil I'm forced to dial it back.
My question to nx8 users is: are the mil markings on the reticle even visible at lower magnifications?
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've seen and read plenty of reviews of the Nx8 and they all talk about the reticle at 1x and 8x, but nobody talks about it in between. 3x 4x 6x
I have a nightforce 2.5-10x24 and despite being SFP i use it on 2.5 and 5x a lot. Especially at low light when 10x can't transfer any light to my pupil I'm forced to dial it back.
My question to nx8 users is: are the mil markings on the reticle even visible at lower magnifications?
View Quote
I would presume they are, and my rationale for this is that the MK6 is a FFP reticle and the optic is a 6 power. A mil is a mil is a mil, so when it's at 6 power, it's at 6 power, regardless of the optic in question. If you feel the MK6 is usable with the mil based reticle, I cannot imagine that the NX8 wouldn't be, as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used the ATACR version a reasonable amount, testing it at lots of magnifications out to 600 yards.  When shooting at distance, the reticle became useful around 2-2.5x if there wasn't a lot of vegetation.  I would bet that you'd have the same experience with the NX8.

Most of the time, I chose my magnification based on how big I wanted the image of the target to be, and the reticle was suitable for that situation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the light conditions and what you're aiming at.

Daytime and a light colored contrasting target, you can use the reticle at pretty low power.  4X is about as low as I tried because I don't try to shoot past 250 yards at 2X.

Lower light, sun low on the horizon in front of you, can't see shit until about 6X.

On 1X, you need the illumination on.

The problem with FFP in low light situations is that when you need to dial back for light, you need a bigger reticle.  The opposite of what happens with a FFP.

If using NODs the FFP works better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used the NX8 and ATACR 1-8x a lot in the 2-4x power range. At 2x, the tree in the ATACR is easier to use for a holdover to say 300-400 if I forgot to dial up some power. 4x is usable for half and whole mil holds, finer amounts it's an approximation for the most part if I need to be very fine with the hold.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I used a 200 yard zero and found the segmented circle to all in got damn fucking way from 3-400 yards in a 5-10mph crosswind.

After that the dots were too big.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
This reply is not from using it on a rifle, but spending a lot of time behind the NX8 looking at different objects at distances....

I found the 1X setting to be OK, at 8X, I can see the issues....

The clarity on this scope is great, the glass is perfect....putting the ATACR next to it, I could see a difference, but i cannot see a $1000 difference.  I have a ATACR on my 308, and it is fantastic.

Despite all of this, I think for the magnification range, you cant get better that the NX8.  Also to add, the NF uni mounts are well made also.   I am looking for a LPVO for my SR15, this one will more than likely be the one.

I really wanted to like the Accupower 1-8, but the knobs just feel so cheap....

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top