Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2020 11:20:02 AM EDT
I like the way the nickel boron BCG's look, and like the way many people say they clean up easily.
So looking to replace my black nitride Aero Precision BCG with something else...

Should I get:
1. Aero Precision - Not sure who makes them or coats them for Aero?
2. Toolcraft
3. WMD
4. FailZero
5. Something else?

I see a lot of Toolcraft vs. WMD vs. FailZero BCG comparisons... my general observation is they are all about equal. Is this true?
Is there any reason to get (or not get) one of these BCG in nickel boron, or would any of these listed be good to go?
I think I read somewhere that WMD, or one of those manufacturers?, are the ones that invented nickel boron coating or something, so would that be the best to go with soley for that reason?

All on this list are priced under $200, so not looking to spend more than that - as I have no need for a "more expensive" BCG.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
3. WMD
4. FailZero

Have done well by me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Cannot go wrong with FailZero or WMD. Toolcraft is never a bad option, but they didn't pioneer NiB like FailZero and WMD.  

NiB used to be all the craze a few years back, but it has been proven to be inferior over the long run.  NiB isn't bad, but they have had amazing marketing since release.  I would put DLC above NiB any days (it's also cheaper). NiB has notoriously had issues with not being great for wear. It changes color over time (stains) to a dirty version of what you get in the box.

I highly recommend either DLC, NP3+, or Lifecoat over NiB. Technically, I prefer nitride/isonite/melonite over NiB.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Good luck finding any of those in stock right now...
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're buying it for looks, you're buying it for the wrong reason IMO.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
AIM Surplus NIB is also a good BCG.  Not as polished as Toolcraft, Fail Zero, or WMD, but it is well made.  That said my Toolcraft NIB is the smoothest cycling BCG I own.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were going to buy a Nickel Boron BCG it would be the one from Cryptic Coatings, because as far as I know it's the only one that is chromed inside the carrier itself as well as the gas key... NiB finish is well known to flake off in those areas, as well as the ramp on the bottom of the carrier where the hammer makes contact.

Having said that I don't recommend NiB BCGs and would sooner go with standard phosphate and chrome.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer nitride/isonite/melonite over NiB.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck finding any of those in stock right now...
View Quote

Just got Fail Zero delivered last Thursday.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#9]
2. Toolcraft
3. WMD
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I like spinta precison, have a few and one with a few thousand rounds.
No issues at all
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mean, I get that but understand NiB to be a solid choice for a BCG with no real downsides... other than what someone said above.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cannot go wrong with FailZero or WMD. Toolcraft is never a bad option, but they didn't pioneer NiB like FailZero and WMD.  

NiB used to be all the craze a few years back, but it has been proven to be inferior over the long run.  NiB isn't bad, but they have had amazing marketing since release.  I would put DLC above NiB any days (it's also cheaper). NiB has notoriously had issues with not being great for wear. It changes color over time (stains) to a dirty version of what you get in the box.

I highly recommend either DLC, NP3+, or Lifecoat over NiB. Technically, I prefer nitride/isonite/melonite over NiB.
View Quote

Interesting... I haven’t heard that before, nor have I done of research into NiB]I didn’t think there were really any downsides but I’ll have to look into that.
Do any if the same brands I listed make BCGs in any of the finishes you listed? How do those finish costs compare to black nitride or NiB?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I mean, I get that but understand NiB to be a solid choice for a BCG with no real downsides... other than what someone said above.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitride is nearly as slick/easy to clean as NiB and will not stain. Something to consider.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I run Failzeros and love them. Reliable as hell and super easy to clean. As far as the staining, I think they look better once they're "broken in"

I have heard great things about nitride coating too (somehow it's both better AND cheaper), but haven't run any nitride coated gear yet so can't offer any experience based input.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Aim bcg are made by tool craft. I bought one of their bcg with the nitride bolt and nickel carrier and got the best of both worlds. A good nitrided bcg cleans up easier than nickel. Nickel especially the bolt stains and will turn yellow but they are all good and ultimately you are buying nickel for looks.

You will honestly spend more time cleaning a nickeled bcg because fouling shows up more but it looks bad ass with a stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have heard great things about nitride coating too (somehow it's both better AND cheaper), but haven't run any nitride coated gear yet so can't offer any experience based input.
View Quote

Nitriding is a process which alters the steel exterior also penetrating sub level, not a coating as many think.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Coatings fail, Phosphate or Nitride are the way to go imo.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
https://danieldefense.com/complete-bolt-carrier-group-chrome-plated-5-56mm.html

If you decide against NiB, here's another option.  A few places carry them, I think I got mine from Arm or Ally.  Yeah, I know, good luck finding them in stock.  I've done well with getting on notify lists, you just need to be ready to buy right now when you get the back in stock notification.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you decide against NiB, here's another option.  A few places carry them, I think I got mine from Arm or Ally.  Yeah, I know, good luck finding them in stock.  I've done well with getting on notify lists, you just need to be ready to buy right now when you get the back in stock notification.
View Quote

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

LMT in hard chrome is as well. Semi cut carrier only, IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got several toolcraft, no complaints here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried a NiB TC on a rifle a couple years ago just to see what the hoopla was all about. .  I have a bazillion rounds through it(Probably more than any of my other guns combined) and it cleans up easy.  Looks as good as the day I bought it.  With that being said, all my other standard TCs have never given me an issue.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Interesting... I haven’t heard that before, nor have I done of research into NiB]I didn’t think there were really any downsides but I’ll have to look into that.
Do any if the same brands I listed make BCGs in any of the finishes you listed? How do those finish costs compare to black nitride or NiB?
View Quote

I first started getting into building several years back right when I got discharged from the Army. I started buying NiB parts because of the "hey look, you don't need to clean or oil". Total hoopla. I found that the marketed the coated as the " next big thing" and new builders or people looking to modify their builds get hook line and sinkers with NiB like I did.

In all reality, it is a coating like pvd ti nitride, DLC, etc. I guess you can say it's slick, but is it better than the others? I don't think so. It's decent for cleanup, but not better than DLC or NP3+ in my opinion. There are many manufacturers that have their stuff electroless nickel/teflon coated that is about the same as NiB. There are many different names for it.

Melonite/nitride/isonite are a dime a dozen, as nearly every manufacturer carries these and is probably the cheapest treatment of them all besides phosphate. Chrome is less the craze than it once was and is pretty uncommon these days (LMT, DD, RRA) . DLC or other pvd carries are pretty common (Toolcraft, Sharps, Cryptek, Midwest Industries) ti-nitride being the most common. Everyone has phosphate. Electroless nickel/teflon is uncommon but you can find them (Adams Arms/VDI, PWS, POF). I just named a few companies. There are obviously more.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Phosphate holds the lube best, hard chrome is the best for bolt and internal.

Prove me wrong
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want silver get a Sionics NP3 or DD hardchrome BCG.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#25]
A good read for why good NiB makes sense (and its not about appearance):

https://www.failzero.com/fz-news/item/failzero-outperforms-legacy-systems-in-dept-of-energy-live-fire-tests.html

This is full auto torture testing to failure under extreme conditions, including water and sand.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

The pic of the DD BCG in the VT Supply link looks like a semi carrier.  I don't know if DD ever made chrome semi BCGs.  I'd probably contact them to verify before purchase.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The pic of the DD BCG in the VT Supply link looks like a semi carrier.  I don't know if DD ever made chrome semi BCGs.  I'd probably contact them to verify before purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

Info states M16 carrier.

Pic does look fuckey tho.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I do like the silver color of the NiB which makes it stand out a little but...

I do get they may not offer much real world advantage over nitride, etc.

The DD chrome one looks interesting... anything else out there to consider or just go NiB and be fine with it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I do like the silver color of the NiB which makes it stand out a little but...

I do get they may not offer much real world advantage over nitride, etc.

The DD chrome one looks interesting... anything else out there to consider or just go NiB and be fine with it?
View Quote

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/bolt-carrier-group-components/31-bolt-carrier-group-np3-coated-carrier-bolt-and-cam-pin.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Aim has them in stock right now if you want to get an actual bcg rather than a back order.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is a new alternative.  Precision Firearms.

They are starting to make them inhouse.  And doing a presale
So $70 for the BC, pre 2/1, the $110.  That is BC only, there are BCG options also.

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/m8/PF%20Carrier%20-%20%2A%2ANO%20BOLT%2A%2A%20CARRIER%20ONLY--pf-carrier-no-bolt-carrier-only.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#32]
idk if anyone said it yet, but if you like the look but want reliability get a chromed BCG.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
idk if anyone said it yet, but if you like the look but want reliability get a chromed BCG.
View Quote

Haven't seen or heard much about chrome BCG... i'll have to look into them - any brands you recommend checking out?

Still am leaning heavily toward a NB BCG from one of the brands in my original post.
Right now - leaning towards WMD since they have a "better" coating and one of the original's I do believe...
The problem is finding them in stock!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Haven't seen or heard much about chrome BCG... i'll have to look into them - any brands you recommend checking out?

Still am leaning heavily toward a NB BCG from one of the brands in my original post.
Right now - leaning towards WMD since they have a "better" coating and one of the original's I do believe...
The problem is finding them in stock!
View Quote

DD makes a great chrome BCG.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

Does Young Mfg still offer hard chrome BCGs?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Wow interesting, priced just above nickel boron too... too bad they aren’t in stock!
I might opt for this over nb, but availability 0f both is an issue so maybe will buy whatever is first in stock...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Look into Rubber City Armory. They manufacture bolts for other big brand names but also sell their own. They are highly respected. They show as of yesterday they had some BCGs in stock and are under 200.00 I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Save your money and get nitride.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

@Tigwelder1971

Is Valhalla Tactical Supply legit? Saw mixed reviews on Reddit (arfcom google search is jacked now)
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@Tigwelder1971

Is Valhalla Tactical Supply legit? Saw mixed reviews on Reddit (arfcom google search is jacked now)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HERE

Damn solid BCGs.

@Tigwelder1971

@PointBlank82

I've used them 4 or 5 times w/o issue now. IMO, they have been gtg.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm running nickel boron Sharp's relia Bolt bcg and she's been a dream
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm running nickel boron Sharp's relia Bolt bcg and she's been a dream
View Quote

I'm standardizing on Toolcraft DLC, but the DD chrome intrigue me. KAC sandcutters are pretty sick too, can't afford $500 each tho
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top