Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2020 1:49:52 AM EDT
I kept having people tell em that a properly run AR will drop brass in the 3-4 o'clock position. Mine always seem to end up at 2-3. So the answer rom here was hitting the deflector because of a carbine gassed barrel...

This is the deflector on a stock PSA Mid Length Freedom upper. Absolutely bone stock. Lower is also bone stock PSA MOE+. This one is always at 2 o'clock, no matter the load. Runs like a top, though, accurate and reliable. i have had the lower about a month or so now, the upper a bit longer. Thoughts?

Attachment Attached File

Better view

Attachment Attached File

So, I decided to sneak a peek at the Trash Panda, which is currently a BCA 223 Wylde HB with Giselle Super Gas Block on top of a stock MOE+ built kit on a Stealth Lower, Strike Industries flat wire spring being the only change. The lower has change a bit here and there, but the upper has remained the same and after getting the original teething issues out of the way, has been just great. I have been shooting the SNOT out of this thing for about a year and a half now...and lookit the brass marks!

Attachment Attached File

So, oh gurus, is there an actual problem, or is this overthinking? Brass is generally reloadable, most rounds fired through both rifles ARE handloads, (I have time but little money, so of course I reload), both are accurate and reliable to me. I'm really not wild about changing anything around now, but if there is an issue...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Does it run?

Does it eject every round fired?

Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:14:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it run?

Leave it alone.
View Quote
Nailed it sir.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Like the previous two gents said.

While the little diagram may say it's overgassed or undergassed if it doesn’t eject in a pattern just so, screw it.  If it works consistently with no failures I’d leave it alone.  Just be sure to inspect your bolt, cam pin and everything else like a good soldier whenever you break it down for cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:28:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It's fine. As long as they aren't dribbling out and close to stovepiping.

I tune mine to 1:30-2:00 with slower burning, higher powered ammo. Lower ammo about 2:30. Keeps cases off a neighboring shooter, and not behind the firing line where people step on them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Works for me, thank you!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
So long as you’re not in extremes of hot or cold temperatures, anything that ejects between the 2 and 4 o’clock positions and runs reliably I’d consider golden...you’re likely to do more harm than good if you tinker with that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Extractor and spring strength for it can make a difference. Buffer and spring can make a difference. Ammo can make a difference. Lots ov variables. If it runs reliably and locks back when mag is empty just run it. The only thing i ever tried to change was a pistol build that really came back pretty harsh and was spitting brass way up at 1:00 almost in front of me. Chrome silicon spring and h3 buffer smoothed it out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#9]
You could put a small piece of Velcro tape over the brass deflector to keep the spent shell from scratching the anodizing if you’re worried about the looks. I don’t bother with mine
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does it run?

Leave it alone.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could put a small piece of Velcro tape over the brass deflector to keep the spent shell from scratching the anodizing if you’re worried about the looks. I don’t bother with mine
View Quote
Nope, not worried about a working rifle showing some character.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#13]
This works well.

Similar to foam rubber, sticks to the deflector
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Runs like a top, though, accurate and reliable.
View Quote
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This works well.

View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
Less case dents and closer pile for reloaders. Less energy imparted to a neighbor. Maybe less chance of hot brass rebounding off a barricade.

Fancier than velcro.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Less case dents and closer pile for reloaders. Less energy imparted to a neighbor. Maybe less chance of hot brass rebounding off a barricade.

Fancier than velcro.
View Quote
Makes sense. I approve!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nailed it sir.
View Quote
+1
Every AR is different, every bolt is different, every ammo is different, every rubber o ring on the extractor is different....

The only time I worry about it is if I'm having failures to eject and 90% of the time that's "oops, I shot a bunch of crappy ammo and forgot to clean the chamber and extractor properly" The other 10% it's the other half dozen things that can happen, also usually my fault, like having a setup for full power ammo with heavy buffer and normal gas system and then using wussy ammo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]
You can put some felt from velcro on there if it bothers you. I did that on my 300blk ARs because the shorter case causes the neck to hit the brass deflector, making reloading more difficult, the felt from the velcro saves the brass.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I've seen somewhere some little rubber pads made at an angle that just stick to the deflector bump.  Claims to soften the rebound but they seemed a little pricey for a bump of rubber with adhesive.  Mine all eject about 3:30-4:00 on a new Ruger.  They would hit the guy to my right at the bench but not the next guy.  I always leave one empty bench between me and the next guy either direction if they/I are shooting a semi-auto of any type.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fancier than velcro.
View Quote
Hmm, this may be something to look into. Some of my guns dent the case and some don’t, and others launch brass into the next county or in front of the firing line where they are a loss (public range)
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've seen somewhere some little rubber pads made at an angle that just stick to the deflector bump.  Claims to soften the rebound but they seemed a little pricey for a bump of rubber with adhesive.  Mine all eject about 3:30-4:00 on a new Ruger.  They would hit the guy to my right at the bench but not the next guy.  I always leave one empty bench between me and the next guy either direction if they/I are shooting a semi-auto of any type.
View Quote
Mentioned above (and immediately below).

Quoted:
This works well.

View Quote
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top