Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2018 7:13:04 PM EDT
Hello folks,

I just started my first AR-15 build and I'm a newbie in this area. I have a mid-length barrel and while searching for flash hider or muzzle break, I saw something about pinning. Is this really necessary?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If your barrel is over 16 inches then no need to worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Pinning refers to pinning and welding the muzzle device onto a 14.5" barrel (or other length less than 16") to bring it to a permanent 16"+ length, as is required to prevent it from being a "short-barreled rifle" under the National Firearms Act.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the clarification.  I’ll post pics as soon as I finish the build. Nothing special here but looking to learn.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It's also required on all AR15 barrels by stupid laws in some states but Florida is not one of them. If your barrel is 16"+ you're good to go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the clarification.  I’ll post pics as soon as I finish the build. Nothing special here but looking to learn.
View Quote
Welcome to the fun house!

First recommendation - once you find all the parts you want, before buying them, throw it all into a Google doc (or other spreadsheet) with links and prices.

Then post it here. It'll get reviewed, and people will recommend better parts and/or deals to optimize your build for your uses and your wallet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Welcome to the fun house!

First recommendation - once you find all the parts you want, before buying them, throw it all into a Google doc (or other spreadsheet) with links and prices.

Then post it here. It'll get reviewed, and people will recommend better parts and/or deals to optimize your build for your uses and your wallet.
View Quote
Yes, do this.  The technical forums (like this one) are for sharing info and tips.  We're happy to offer advice.

What barrel do you have (manufacturer, profile, length, etc.)?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Another good question to get technical answers is what do you plan to do with this build?  CQB?  Hunting?  Range toy?  Long distance?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't come across a forum that would have been this helpful. If I had known, I would have done that but I will list it now.

Aero Precision Upper and Lowers
Aero Precision Ambidextrous Charging handle
Aero Precision Enhanced lower parts kit
Bear Creek Arsenal 16" 5.56 NATO Government Contour 1:7
Expo Arms Low Profile Gas Block .750
CMC Triggers Nitride Coated Gas Tube - Mid-Length
Magpul stock
Aero Precision BCG

Bravo Company Manufacturing 12" QRF-12 Quad Rail Free Float Handguard - 189.95 (Do I really need quad rail?)
VG6 Precision Gamma High Performance Muzzle Brake - 1/2x28 - 89.95

I'm not sure what red dot or scope.... Currently, I do IDPA and we also have another club that does competition with AR-15 for close quarter/long range competition similar to IDPA.  I'd appreciate your insights. However, I'd also like to make it a range toy (hopefully another excuse to do a 2nd build....don't tell my wife!)
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#9]
"Bravo Company Manufacturing 12" QRF-12 Quad Rail Free Float Handguard - 189.95 (Do I really need quad rail?)"

Quad rails can be kind of clunky and unless you 'need' all of the rail space I would choose something else. A lot of guys end up covering all the unused rail space up with rail covers anyway.

Options are endless but these are very good for less money:  ALG Defense

I like this style- smooth in the middle with short rail sections at each end. BA Gen2

I've heard these are acceptable quality for the money: Chandler Hardwoods

ETA: Hand guards are so easy to change out, you can always upgrade later if you don't like your choice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you already purchase the barrel?  I would not go with Bear Creek personally.  Very hit or miss and a lot of chamber issues with their barrels.  You may get a shooter for cheap though.  I would recommend selling/returning if you can and picking up a BA or Faxon for $100-150.  You can find the BA at places like Granite Ridge and Right to Bear for around $100.  Much better than BCA for not much more

As for the handguard, some people like quad rails, but i think they are bulky and heavy.  I would personally go with BCM or ALG MLOCK.  They are lighter and you can still attach whatever you need
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did you already purchase the barrel?  I would not go with Bear Creek personally.  Very hit or miss and a lot of chamber issues with their barrels.  You may get a shooter for cheap though.  I would recommend selling/returning if you can and picking up a BA or Faxon for $100-150.  You can find the BA at places like Granite Ridge and Right to Bear for around $100.  Much better than BCA for not much more

As for the handguard, some people like quad rails, but i think they are bulky and heavy.  I would personally go with BCM or ALG MLOCK.  They are lighter and you can still attach whatever you need
View Quote
I can always purchase another barrel. Thanks for that recommendation.  I did have my eye on a BCM Handguard but wasn’t sure if I needed a quad rail or not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"......but wasn't sure if I needed a quad rail or not."
View Quote
Need is based on your intended use.  A 12" quad rail will give you almost 48" of rail space.
(If you need a good laugh for Monday just type in "mall ninja AR15" on Google Images)
Unless you need your rifle to look like that, you don't "need" a quad rail.
K.I.S.S. is the best approach to handguards. Most folks only put one or two items at a time on their handguard anyway.
Lights, vertical forward grips, bipods seem to be the 3 most common accessories.
I have a light and a VFG on my short range rifle and a bipod on one of my medium range rifles and that's it.
To each his own, based on intended use.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://www.righttobear.com/Ballistic-Advantage-16-Midlength-Barrel-5-56-p/babl556015m.htm

Is this good? It has the option of a free muzzle brake!

Let me know! Thanks for that website!
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Need is based on your intended use.  A 12" quad rail will give you almost 48" of rail space.
(If you need a good laugh for Monday just type in "mall ninja AR15" on Google Images)
Unless you need your rifle to look like that, you don't "need" a quad rail.
K.I.S.S. is the best approach to handguards. Most folks only put one or two items at a time on their handguard anyway.
Lights, vertical forward grips, bipods seem to be the 3 most common accessories.
I have a light and a VFG on my short range rifle and a bipod on one of my medium range rifles and that's it.
To each his own, based on intended use.
View Quote
Mall ninja AR15...funny stuff right there!!

Yeah, I'm going to scrap the quad rail.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.righttobear.com/Midwest-Industries-Lightweight-Handguard-12-Gen-p/mi-lwm12g3.htm

Opinions? I like this look.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.righttobear.com/Ballistic-Advantage-16-Midlength-Barrel-5-56-p/babl556015m.htm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

BA makes very good barrels.  And midlength gas is an excellent choice.

Quoted:
https://www.righttobear.com/Midwest-Industries-Lightweight-Handguard-12-Gen-p/mi-lwm12g3.htm

Opinions? I like this look.
MI are ok.  Not my style personally, but I built a friends rifle earlier this year and he used that rail and has been very happy
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

BA makes very good barrels.  And midlength gas is an excellent choice.

MI are ok.  Not my style personally, but I built a friends rifle earlier this year and he used that rail and has been very happy
View Quote
Went with a BCM rail. Looking forward to finishing off the build!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quick question guys...

Do I need to dimple the BA barrel? A little uneasy about doing this since I don’t have a drill press.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I've installed over 25 gas blocks without dimpling.
Never had one come loose.
Some have had multiple thousands of rounds through them.
Clean the threads on the gas block really good, as well as the set screws.
Use blue or red loctite. I use blue paste.
Tighten the ever loving shit out of it, but be sure it is on straight first.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've installed over 25 gas blocks without dimpling.
Never had one come loose.
Some have had multiple thousands of rounds through them.
Clean the threads on the gas block really good, as well as the set screws.
Use blue or red loctite. I use blue paste.
Tighten the ever loving shit out of it, but be sure it is on straight first.
View Quote
Thank you!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top