Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2018 3:55:33 PM EDT
After finally coming around to the piston system camp, I recently finished building my first piston build, a 14.5" pinned middy upper equipped with the Superlative Arms Adjustable Piston System (SKU # SABO-PS-M625CM). I have yet to take it out to shoot it and adjust the bleed off.

Being a piston virgin, I literally have no idea what to expect in regards to heat and bleed-off 'blast' coming from the port of the adjustable gas block (if there is any blast at all). I understand that piston gas blocks can heat up quite a bit, especially after rapid or long strings of fire.

Until I can test this piston upper, I am a bit concerned at where I chose to place my taclight's tape switch cable, which is rather close to the exhaust port.

What I would like to know from the piston crowd is if I am concerned over a nothing burger?...or if heat (and blast) affecting the tape switch cable is a legitimate concern? Am I over-thinking this?...or did repositioning my cable just save my tape switch from possible heat damage?

This first image shows where I had originally secured the tape switch cable:

But after thinking about it, I moved the cable back to keep it away from the hot gas block:
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If  the piston deal so great  why doesn't the military use It.

I trusted my life to a M16A2    gas job....

so  school  me on why this is better
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
School us all on how that answered his concerns.

I have an SA piston on one of my suppressed guns.
I don't think the cable in its original position would have been any issue, but now you don't have to think about it at all.

@Creature

Jay
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I also don’t think that the cable would have been affected however since you’ve moved it there shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

Also, for the guy above you asked someone to school him, at one point we used bolt action rifles. At one point we used .308 as our small arms. At one point putting anything other than irons on your system was dumb. Things evolve.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Ever heard of HK?

Educate yourself, you might look a bit wiser.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#5]
OP,

You will be fine, especially since you re-routed the cable
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
They do, marines are adopting a lot of them with the m27
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
School us all on how that answered his concerns.

I have an SA piston on one of my suppressed guns.
I don't think the cable in its original position would have been any issue, but now you don't have to think about it at all.

@Creature

Jay
View Quote
Agreed, haven’t experienced any tape switch or cable damage using my rearward venting LWRC.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Take off the light and switch, wrap the area with toilet paper, shoot, observe results, replace light and switch.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Take off the light and switch, wrap the area with toilet paper, shoot, observe results, replace light and switch.
View Quote
Actually, I was going to bring a toilet paper core.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the piston club; any chance for a more comprehensive photo of your rifle?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine worked for the State Dept and ran piston guns like LWRC 1000s and 1000s of rounds with no PROBLEM.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Welcome to the piston club; any chance for a more comprehensive photo of your rifle?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2018 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
The SA piston is made where you can bleed off the gas or you can just reduce the gas flow to the piston.  If you use it in the reduce gas flow mode, then you will not have any bleed off or additional heat, so you will be fine.

That being said, I have used mine in both configurations and heat has never been an issue.  You might get some carbon build up under your handguard, but that is about the worse of it.  It is a great system and I haven't had any problems through thousands of rounds and multiple rifles.  I shoot both suppressor and non-suppressed and the systems just runs.

Chad
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Shooting low light shows a lot.  My piston gun, even with a bit of flash from that area gets no hotter than my gas gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#17]
What handguards are everybody using here?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What handguards are everybody using here?
View Quote
I'm using the MI 2 piece free float quad rail with my Superlative Arms piston systems.
I'm not anticipating having any issues with the system, but it makes it a lot easier to take the hand guard off to get under the hand guard just in case.
Not as light as some of the M-Lok hand guards out there, but it is what I prefer.

I initially wanted to use the LaRue 10" goose neck hand guard that came on my Noveske, but it won't fit over the SA piston gas block.

@hoody2shoez

Jay
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You're good either way. I run an SA kit on my 11.5" SBR suppressed. Shit in front of the block can get dirty but after doing a few mag dumps I can still hold everything with bare hands. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/262514/A7ECCA2E-94C5-4F0B-9EE5-A11C97732A36-354439.jpg
View Quote
Would this work with a .300 Blackout Upper from BCM? I'm looking at getting a 12.5 MCMR BCM .300 Blackout Upper for a future SBR project.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IIRC, SA recommends not using their piston kit on .300blk. Not sure if that's changed or not.
View Quote
Thanks I appreciate the quick response brother!
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top