Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2021 8:54:37 PM EDT
Weird times made me wanna build a pistol.  The only other I did was a 12" 7.62X39 from a stripped lower a few years ago.  

It fell in the creek.  

This one is a 10" and I am having gas tube length anxiety.  I've never asked a tech question here I don't think...

Anyway...when I was collecting cheap parts months ago (years?) I got a "pistol" length gas tube and a "mid" length gas tube.  Now that it's time to assemble, neither are correct.  My barrel is 10 1/2" in length (advertised and measured from rear of barrel extension to end of threads) and when installed (fully seated but without a barrel nut) onto my upper receiver, I measure 10" for gas tube length needed (accounting for depth into receiver to reach the gas key, depth into gas block to have the pin hole line up, and with the gas block hole lined up with the gas hole in the barrel).  The pistol tube I have is about 6 3/4".  The mid tube I have is about 11 7/8".  None of the "regular" sources for tubes actually list a length spec so it's tough to choose which one to buy.

I could shorten by "mid" tube but then the slight bubble type flare on it's rear end would be lost and I wonder if that would seal well with the gas key.  I guess I could have an oddball barrel not worth a crap because it was $60 new but it's a 10" 5.56X45 so the bullet won't be in there long.

I am an automotive technician with access to tubing and flaring tools and I have a Dremmel but this sounds tedious for a $11 part.

Am I making this too tough?  Sorry about the question that has likely been asked 35416541 times but the search function on this site is a PITA.

TIA
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Carbine length has tube
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Dang

I feel dumb

Right on brother

But why does a pistol need a carbine gas tube?

Guess that's what I get for having all mid length 16's...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dang

I feel dumb

Right on brother

But why does a pistol need a carbine gas tube?

Guess that's what I get for having all mid length 16's...
View Quote

Gas length and what the ATF considers a pistol are not related.

Technically you could have a "pistol" with any barrel/gas length.

10.3/10.5" barrels are most likely going to be carbine gas assuming we are talking a 223/556 barrel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Related:
Quoted:
Match your buffer length to your receiver extension length, not your barrel length or gas system length.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Is-it-a-requirement-to-use-a-rifle-buffer-with-a-rifle-length-gas-system-/118-761757/#i8237156

Gas port location has nothing to do with about anything other than gas tube length (one could argue handguard length as well).
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Somehow I double posted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
common use barrels for 10.5 to 12.5 is all carbine, 13.x and up is usually midlength but a lot still make them in carbine still.

rifle length is usually 18+
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
common use barrels for 10.5 to 12.5 is all carbine, 13.x and up is usually midlength but a lot still make them in carbine still.

rifle length is usually 18+
View Quote

Yup, although I’m considering a mid length 12.5 just to see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Related:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Is-it-a-requirement-to-use-a-rifle-buffer-with-a-rifle-length-gas-system-/118-761757/#i8237156

Gas port location has nothing to do with about anything other than gas tube length (one could argue handguard length as well).
View Quote

Your post has ZERO to do with the subject.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Where is the gas port located on your barrel? As in what distance from the end?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top