Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2021 12:09:10 PM EDT
“Modlite is proud to announce the availability of our Dual Fuel OKW light head! As the name implies, this head is capable of running on our standard rechargeable batteries, or two CR123s in series. This head boasts the same performance that you have come to know from the OKW when used with 18650/18350 batteries. .

Due to the limitations of the battery’s technology, this head will step down its performance by about 20 percent when used with two CR123s. Nevertheless, it will still have a very incredible output vs other lights that use the conventional CR cell as power. .

This product was originally developed for a specific client that had circumstances requiring the ability to use CR123s. Modlite still considers rechargeable batteries to be the path towards further technological advancements in illumination. We understand some customers need for the ability to use CR123s due to available supply chain, but we strongly advocate that those without this need continue to use our standard product line for best performance. . This head will only function on Modlite bodies or as a direct replacement for the KE2-DF head. Older Scout bodies will not accept this head, nor will this head operate on an 18350 body with a single CR123.”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Options are good
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
This interests me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The specific client who required this is retarded IMO.

If you can pack cr123’s, you can pack extra recharged batteries.

20% less performance and I get spend money on non rechargeable batteries? You sunnuva bitch, I’m in (unnamed client).

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This interests me.
View Quote

What’s the shelf life of a fully charged 18650 vs 10 years on a CR123.  I got a DF (stocked up on both types of batteries) because if the power is out for days I wont have a reliable or dependable way to charge those 18650’s after I use them.  

What the weapon light market really needs is another UE style tail cap.  We have Modlite, Reptila, Arisaka and SF all making lights and bodies, but only one company making tail caps for wired switches.  Please set aside product to sell as a complete package we can put right on our rifles and not need to buy from multiple sources and manufactures.  I know it’s hard.

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

20% less performance and I get spend money on non rechargeable batteries? You sunnuva bitch, I’m in (unnamed client).

View Quote

You have a weaponlight on your go to rifle in the safe.  A couple months goes by before you take it out to use.  The rechargeable battery is dead.  Not "exercising" a rechargeable battery from 20% to 80% is hard on the battery's life.  If you use the gun/light often, sure rechargeable makes more sense.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What’s the shelf life of a fully charged 18650 vs 10 years on a CR123.  I got a DF (stocked up on both types of batteries) because if the power is out for days I wont have a reliable or dependable way to charge those 18650’s after I use them.  

What the weapon light market really needs is another UE style tail cap.  We have Modlite, Reptila, Arisaka and SF all making lights and bodies, but only one company making tail caps for wired switches.  Please set aside product to sell as a complete package we can put right on our rifles and not need to buy from multiple sources and manufactures.  I know it’s hard.

Thank you
View Quote

Double Agree!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If you read the documentation that co.es with the surefire 18650s they claim it will maintain a usable charge for something like 3 years as the drain from the charge monitor/limiter is practically nothing.

Still isn't 10yrs though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Aimpoint should make a flashlight, we'll be changing 2032 powered lights once every 5 years!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Why wouldn’t someone looking at the OKW head not purchase this option? Will there be a PLHv2 duel fuel option?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Neat I guess

Rechargeable are better, but 123's are still popular because surefire
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Always good to have options.

I know that I have a buddy who refuses to have a light that does not take CR123s because it’s what his laser runs on. Hopefully he’ll get one of these.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:09:04 AM EDT
[#12]
This may cause me to make the jump to Modlite, especially after I just had an M600U head die on me.

I understand the performance increases possible with rechargeable batteries, but I refuse to move away from 123s (at least for the immediate future).  I’ve got a shit ton of them and nearly everything else I own runs off them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I understand the performance increases possible with rechargeable batteries, but I refuse to move away from 123s (at least for the immediate future).  I’ve got a shit ton of them and nearly everything else I own runs off them.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Are the Modlite branded batteries different/better than the KeepPower ones on Modlite’s website?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are the Modlite branded batteries different/better than the KeepPower ones on Modlite’s website?
View Quote

They're both probably the same Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA

8.50 at liionwholesale
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:00:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:59:44 AM EDT
[#17]
If you use 18650s for HD guns just charge them once a year.

If you run out of 18650s and power is out I can charge them in my car or from power tool batteries if needed. Solar chargers are thing too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:31:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you use 18650s for HD guns just charge them once a year.

If you run out of 18650s and power is out I can charge them in my car or from power tool batteries if needed. Solar chargers are thing too.
View Quote

Meh, using the 123s I already have stashed everywhere is just flat out easier.  I already carry a handful on my gear/helmet, I don’t need a second or third battery type in the mix.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Release date?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Release date?
View Quote

2/12/21

The original post is a quote from facebook and they say at the end that they're available from Arisakadefense, bigtexoutdoors, and modlite. I don't see them direct from modlite but the other 2 places have them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thank you
View Quote

I've gone over this in a series of videos previously.

Sadly, this side had a booboo.

How long do Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries last in storage?

Part II of Testing Rechargeable Battery Lifespan (Do they hold a charge?)

Part III Rechargeable Battery Life Span Study (Do they hold a charge as they age?)

Part IV of testing 18650 battery longevity and viability after long-term storage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

8.50 at liionwholesale
View Quote

The description makes it more likely that they are LG Chem MJ1.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

8.50 at liionwholesale

I think you're right. Description for the modlite battery says it's LG.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Wonder if a dual fuel PLHv2 will also be done.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You have a weaponlight on your go to rifle in the safe.  A couple months goes by before you take it out to use.  The rechargeable battery is dead.  Not "exercising" a rechargeable battery from 20% to 80% is hard on the battery's life.  If you use the gun/light often, sure rechargeable makes more sense.
View Quote

This is pure BS. Your 18650 will have over 70% capacity after a year in the safe stored full charge no matter what. Sure you might decrease the mean number of charges it lasts when stored fully charged and if recharging annually but it will be more than a decade before that is a consideration.

I have some 16650 I leave in a rifle bag as spares and one in a weaponlight in the trunk 365, even through summer. They are stored fully charged and hit temps of 140 F in summer. They get charged back up only if used during the year. The worst battery is about 90% of original capacity fully charged and the worst capacity I have had at one year straight in the trunk (7 months as a fully charged spare in rifle bag followed by 5 months stored in rifle unused) was over 70% charge from a new full charge (2500 mah when new) pulled out in winter after summer storage. That battery was also over 4 years old being used and stored this way. The worst thing you can do to a lithium ion is store fully charged at high temps. The lowest capacity you will measure is during the freezing temps of winter. So this is a WORSE case scenario. Stored in your home, expect 80%+ run time of stored lithium ion cells after a year. Expect over a decade before you have any that MIGHT be under 80% stored in a temp controlled gun safe.

Quality lithium rechargeable batteries (I like Keeppower for most cells) are incredibly durable and resilient for the first hundred recharges. Sure, past the first hundred charges issues crop up, but by then who cares if you have to replace a cell here or there.

The only rechargable battery type I have found to be MORE resilient is the low discharge NiMH Eneloops made in Japan. And even then I think quality lithium ion cells have more in common with the Eneloop's ability to hold a charge and last in storage than anything else out there.

Modern lithium ions are not like China made lithium ion cells from 20+ years ago nor are they like non-low-discharge NiMH cells or NiCad batteries you may have experienced in the past. They are low self discharge and very robust for 100-300+ charge cycles depending on how they are treated.

Will they hold up to 1000+ cycles like an Eneloop? No. But who runs 1000 sets of 123 cells through any light? Who could even afford to?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is pure BS. Your 18650 will have over 70% capacity after a year in the safe stored full charge no matter what. Sure you might decrease the mean number of charges it lasts when stored fully charged and if recharging annually but it will be more than a decade before that is a consideration.

I have some 16650 I leave in a rifle bag as spares and one in a weaponlight in the trunk 365, even through summer. They are stored fully charged and hit temps of 140 F in summer. They get charged back up only if used during the year. The worst battery is about 90% of original capacity fully charged and the worst capacity I have had at one year straight in the trunk (7 months as a fully charged spare in rifle bag followed by 5 months stored in rifle unused) was over 70% charge from a new full charge (2500 mah when new) pulled out in winter after summer storage. That battery was also over 4 years old being used and stored this way. The worst thing you can do to a lithium ion is store fully charged at high temps. The lowest capacity you will measure is during the freezing temps of winter. So this is a WORSE case scenario. Stored in your home, expect 80%+ run time of stored lithium ion cells after a year. Expect over a decade before you have any that MIGHT be under 80% stored in a temp controlled gun safe.

Quality lithium rechargeable batteries (I like Keeppower for most cells) are incredibly durable and resilient for the first hundred recharges. Sure, past the first hundred charges issues crop up, but by then who cares if you have to replace a cell here or there.

The only rechargable battery type I have found to be MORE resilient is the low discharge NiMH Eneloops made in Japan. And even then I think quality lithium ion cells have more in common with the Eneloop's ability to hold a charge and last in storage than anything else out there.

Modern lithium ions are not like China made lithium ion cells from 20+ years ago nor are they like non-low-discharge NiMH cells or NiCad batteries you may have experienced in the past. They are low self discharge and very robust for 100-300+ charge cycles depending on how they are treated.

Will they hold up to 1000+ cycles like an Eneloop? No. But who runs 1000 sets of 123 cells through any light? Who could even afford to?
View Quote

I stand corrected.  Maybe its just my perception based on some other instances that are not accurately representative of modern 18650 cells.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:46:46 AM EDT
[#27]
The minute they release a dual fuel PLHv2, I'm buying one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can see why you'd want the option to use cr123, but even if they could make it safe seems the battery output would severely cripple the light output. How many amps does plhv2 draw?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can see why you'd want the option to use cr123, but even if they could make it safe seems the battery output would severely cripple the light output. How many amps does plhv2 draw?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if the light output is lower, I'm willing to deal with that, as long as that means I get to keep the light running if my rechargeables run out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Anybody been running one of these?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#31]
One more bump for thoughts on those using these heads
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 2 DF Modlites running on serious use setups unfired now, that's after moving the 2 SF DF heads to a backup and as a spare maybe a handheld modlite body someday.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve been using one for a couple months now, and just bought a second one. Works perfect for my area. I get enough spill up close, and can light up the woods 300+ yards behind my house. If you live in a rural area with wide open spaces it’ll work great.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top