Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
PLHv2 arrived for the LMT MRP
https://i.imgur.com/kPrGfNY.jpg?1
View Quote

Good to see someone else did the SR07 / Cloud Defensive mod. I love mine - rock solid and low profile enough to be quite comfortable and easy to activate.

Quoted:
I was a bit worried as I put both batteries on the charger (which rocks BTW) and after a few days of testing around the yard/house I was getting flickering and reduced output. Using the Modlite with a UE tailcap and SR07 pad. Took the battery out and put it on the charger to check the battery level. Was only 1 bar down from full. Unplugged the SR07 and reinserted. No issues since but didn't have any issues with the Scout. Will keep monitoring and I've been activating the light via SR07 as much as possible just to keep checking if the issue happens again but no further issues as of now.

I do have several email alerts setup with various vendors for a Unity MLOK Hot-Button to replace the SR07. I'd like a Mod Button as well if they'd issue a version without the integrated mount.
View Quote

I'm curious about Modlite's comments on their Modbutton page that older switched result in an output drop:

"One problem that exists today is older legacy switches are not able to pass the current needed to run current and future generation lights. These older switch designs do not allow Modlite light heads to run at full power. Typically these switches reduce output by 15-20%."

Has anyone tested that with their Surefire switch and Modlite combination? I'm guessing most of us don't have a way to measure the lumen / candela output that accurately. I'm wondering, if it's truly and issue, if that could result in occasional flickering and reduced output.

I like the concept of the Modbutton, but I'd really prefer that it was longer, like an ST07 switch, to allow for a margin of error when reaching for the switch to activate it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good to see someone else did the SR07 / Cloud Defensive mod. I love mine - rock solid and low profile enough to be quite comfortable and easy to activate.

I'm curious about Modlite's comments on their Modbutton page that older switched result in an output drop:

"One problem that exists today is older legacy switches are not able to pass the current needed to run current and future generation lights. These older switch designs do not allow Modlite light heads to run at full power. Typically these switches reduce output by 15-20%."

Has anyone tested that with their Surefire switch and Modlite combination? I'm guessing most of us don't have a way to measure the lumen / candela output that accurately. I'm wondering, if it's truly and issue, if that could result in occasional flickering and reduced output.

I like the concept of the Modbutton, but I'd really prefer that it was longer, like an ST07 switch, to allow for a margin of error when reaching for the switch to activate it.
View Quote
I created a thread on that issue, I feel the same as you.
Modlite Claims Reduced Power
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the Big Tex links and code. I ended up buying the Modlite PLH v2. I wasn't sure what tailcap to get, so I just stuck with the Modlite one. I'm still unsure of the interface, but it sounds like it does momentary on with a slight button press and constant on with a longer button press?
View Quote

Code is still good
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone actually tested the output with the modlites and a surefire cap or pressure switch to see if there is a visible difference in output?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, this thread cost me money. I bought an 18350 package for the IR850 head and an 18650 package for the PLHv2 head. Going to replace my Surefire IR/white head m600 setup and either sell that Thorntail m600 body and IR/white head or keep that and move it to a helmet. Probably sell it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has anyone actually tested the output with the modlites and a surefire cap or pressure switch to see if there is a visible difference in output?
View Quote
See my above link for accounts of VISUAL comparison.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
See my above link for accounts of VISUAL comparison.
View Quote

Like P SS linked, the human eye is a rather poor detector of differences. That said, I had two M600's back when they made 180-220 OTF lumens. A friend of mine could, 3/3 times, pick one from the other as brighter. I sent them off where they were tested in a calibrated IS, and discovered that one was indeed about 220 OTF, while the other was around 190 OTF. When you get into the 1000+ lumen arena though, it gets really tough to "see" even a few hundred lumens difference.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m going to compare them when mine comes. I use the DS-SR07-D-IT cap/switch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Installed the Modbutton today, I’m pleased.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered a Modlite PLH-v2 flashlight and 18650 weapon mounted body.  I should be able to swap the heads around as needed, correct?  

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Still waiting for mine.  It should be here on Friday.  It took me two cycles of it coming back in stock and you guys buying out the inventory before I was able to grab one.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]
WOW!  Received the PLHv2 today.  After the initial charge I took it out to compare to my current lights.  Up until now, the brightest rifle lights I have are M600 600 lumen Surefires and 500 lumen M300s.  This Modlite is a laserbeam.  I know from looking at pics that the OKW goes further but from my perspective this is the perfect rifle light.  The only problem is not I need to replace the lights on my other rifles.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WOW!  Received the PLHv2 today.  After the initial charge I took it out to compare to my current lights.  Up until now, the brightest rifle lights I have are M600 600 lumen Surefires and 500 lumen M300s.  This Modlite is a laserbeam.  I know from looking at pics that the OKW goes further but from my perspective this is the perfect rifle light.  The only problem is not I need to replace the lights on my other rifles.
View Quote

Huh, every account I've read and seen of the plhv2 is that is has pretty decent flood.

Here's some quick pic examples

Plhv2

Okw
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I spoke confusingly.  It does have very good flood.  But my laser beam comment was due to the throw that is exponentially better than any of the Surefire lights I have. It is a very good balance of the two.

ETA: Also just for shits a giggles I pulled out an original Incandescent 65 lumen M951 module to compare and let’s just say it’s really amazing how far the technology has come.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone been having issues with the UE/SR-07 combo and light?  I have that combo on an 18350 PLH and the light fails under recoil.  It stops working by simply racking the charging handle.  I've contacted Modlite but still waiting for a reply.  Might be Monday.  I have tried two UE/SR-07 combos on the light and get the same issue.  If I barely, and I mean ever so slightly, unscrew the tail cap the pad will not activate the light.  Even if the cap is screwed on tight and I just give it a little pressure it will start to work.  I love this light but I need reliability.  Might just get a 600DF and see if that works.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#17]
@camarofrk Look at your spring. I had issues with 2-PLH-V2 heads.  If it looks shitty and almost crystallized I would guess that is the issue. Modlite  did everything they could to make it right. They sent me two heads(PLHv2) and a replacement spring. Finally I just asked for an OKW head and so far so good.  When I compare the spring and insulation coating from my old OKW to any of the 3 new heads I’ve got there is a noticeable difference.

I love the company and I need to buy another light. Right now I’m waiting for their sudden astronomical rise in popularity to level out. I don’t think it’s unusual for companies to have supplier issues when they experience the kind of growth in MODlite has seen.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 2:20:04 AM EDT
[#18]
V2 is in stock RIGHT NOW at Modlite! Just got one! I assume they will sell out in a few hours......
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@camarofrk Look at your spring. I had issues with 2-PLH-V2 heads.  If it looks shitty and almost crystallized I would guess that is the issue. Modlite  did everything they could to make it right. They sent me two heads(PLHv2) and a replacement spring. Finally I just asked for an OKW head and so far so good.  When I compare the spring and insulation coating from my old OKW to any of the 3 new heads I’ve got there is a noticeable difference.

I love the company and I need to buy another light. Right now I’m waiting for their sudden astronomical rise in popularity to level out. I don’t think it’s unusual for companies to have supplier issues when they experience the kind of growth in MODlite has seen.
View Quote

Pictures would be nice?
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pictures would be nice?
View Quote

Here is a pic of mine.  Im using the camera on phone so it isn't the best pic.  I do see something around the spring but don't know if that is what Wiscat is talking about.  I believe my issues came from the tail cap and Modlite not liking each other.  I did end up getting the Surefire M600DF and I've had no issues.

Attachment Attached File

@JohnDough
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Here is a pic of mine.  Im using the camera on phone so it isn't the best pic.  I do see something around the spring but don't know if that is what Wiscat is talking about.  I believe my issues came from the tail cap and Modlite not liking each other.  I did end up getting the Surefire M600DF and I've had no issues.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/208912/IMG_20200619_130433341_jpg-1467860.JPG

@JohnDough
View Quote

Some of mine look the same, but zero function issues.

On a different not, modlite gave their newest heads a slimmer profile.  If you order from the new batch, you'll likely get the updated head.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#22]
For those with a plhv2 have you tried letting it run continuously until it doesm. At what increments does it drop output and by how much?  For example after 10 minutes is it dkwn to 80% out put, after 30 minutes 50% etc?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Got my new v2 modlite in the mail last week. I was busy with work and was unable to mess with it until this weekend. Charged up the batteries overnight and nothing. Not even a flicker. Tried it with the surefire tail cap and switch and the modlite clicky cap. Nothing. I’ll give them a call today and see what they say. I’m sure they will take care of it. Just sucks for the time being.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got my new v2 modlite in the mail last week. I was busy with work and was unable to mess with it until this weekend. Charged up the batteries overnight and nothing. Not even a flicker. Tried it with the surefire tail cap and switch and the modlite clicky cap. Nothing. I’ll give them a call today and see what they say. I’m sure they will take care of it. Just sucks for the time being.
View Quote

Battery in the right direction?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Battery in the right direction?
View Quote

Ha! That was the first thing I checked lol.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Been procrastinating buying a Modlite for a while now. Funny though, I had a night shooting session over the weekend using an Arisaka 600. I'm no operator but I can't imagine actually needing any more than what the Arisaka (Or SF) provides. Shit was plenty bright at 50 yards. At what point is it too bright?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Been procrastinating buying a Modlite for a while now. Funny though, I had a night shooting session over the weekend using an Arisaka 600. I'm no operator but I can't imagine actually needing any more than what the Arisaka (Or SF) provides. Shit was plenty bright at 50 yards. At what point is it too bright?
View Quote

When you need sunglasses?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When you need sunglasses?
View Quote
Even then, I'll just choose to wear sunglasses
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought my 800 lumen streamlight was plenty bright until I used it to hold a guy at gunpoint who was trying to break into my garage one night. I was absolutely wishing for a lot more at that moment in time.  Next day I ordered a surefire x300u.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about too bright, but I can tell you you'll quickly realize your light isn't bright enough when you're trying to ID a target that is standing in front of a really bright light like a car's headlights/brights and you're trying to overpower them.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top