Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2020 11:42:18 AM EDT
I know this is a tech forum for building retro-ARs, and the link to GD below isn’t technically a rifle thread.

But I thought, maybe this sub-forum would like to at least see (and read) some of the context in which these original guns were actually first used in war-time.  The author has shared photos his dad took on the ground in Vietnam; more exiciting to me is his copy of parts of his dad’s war time journal.  Here is the GD link (I know some of you don’t go to GD much and I can’t blame you):

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Some-pics-from-Dad-s-days-in-VietNam-56k-go-away-/5-2294675/

I hope it’s OK to post this here; just thought it might add to the topic.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Great initiative imo, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link, those are some awesome photos!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the one M16 photo:

Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's the one M16 photo:

https://i.imgur.com/9RVHbZy.jpg
View Quote
Thanks men!  

Mainsail:  thanks for re-posting that most-relevant photo (I appreciate it).

Besides the awful trigger discipline, notice how he has attached the sling to the front sight post instead of using the provided sling swivel?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome thanks for sharing.  Me and some veteran buddies are sitting around looking at them now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks men!  

Mainsail:  thanks for re-posting that most-relevant photo (I appreciate it).

Besides the awful trigger discipline, notice how he has attached the sling to the front sight post instead of using the provided sling swivel?
View Quote
Allows for a low ready carry.  Much like in the 90's where we'd use 550 to make loops around the fsb and the buttstock.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top