Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2021 2:51:04 AM EDT
I love it when a new build functions perfectly from the start.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#1]
"Use good stuff and don't do anything stupid, and it'll probably be fine."
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
If it requires "tinkering" just to run, or requires a certain type of ammunition to work, I would generally not place much trust in it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it requires "tinkering" just to run, or requires a certain type of ammunition to work, I would generally not place much trust in it.
View Quote

TPNI

I have all of mine set up that that will eat anything, except for PMC, not sure what will cycle with PMC....every one of my rifles will cycle 193, 885, FGMM, Winchester and Hornady without issues....
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait, since when do builds require tinkering to get to work?

I've put roughly 20-25 AR's together for friends/family/myself and they always work. Most of them were cheap asses that wanted the cheapest AR possible. This is dating back to 2003.

Unreliable cheap ARs aren't common in today's age of modern manufacturing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm new to building uppers. 2 out of 3 have had hiccups. The first one I had to stop and ask questions about clearance on a muzzle device.  The last build I did the Spikes gas block was out of spec and I fought it forl longer than I should have.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Out of 12 builds I think I had 3 that gave me fits.  This build posted I used a Black Hole 14.5 barrel, Colt BCG, Aero receiver, and a Sig Romeo5 red dot.  It ran perfectly on my reloads however the bolt didn’t lock back on the last round.  Most of my rifles have Aimpoints but I’m still impressed with that Sig red dot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#8]
It's nice OP.  Even if you do everything by the book, there's always that thought about "What if this thing blows up in my face the first time?

Nice work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TPNI

I have all of mine set up that that will eat anything, except for PMC, not sure what will cycle with PMC....every one of my rifles will cycle 193, 885, FGMM, Winchester and Hornady without issues....
View Quote

All of mine worked with Wolf and TulAmmo steel cased as well as PMC, although it's all history now after the boating accident and all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Had headspace issues on 3 (swapped out bolts to get a slightly loose fit and fixed all three).

Had short stroking issues on two (drilling the gas ports slightly larger fixed both).  Rifle length gas system with an 18" barrel.  Had one 18" build with a rifle length gas system that worked fine from day one.

No issues with the rest.  Nothing that required real work.  I'm not blaming the gun/parts for me not getting the gas block correctly aligned on a couple of them.

Oh, forgot about the one with the improperly chambered barrel I had to send back.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Modern machining has made ARs probably the most reliable platform on the market today.

Obviously the correct gas port/block matters and running weird designs or cheap Ebay parts along with bubba building processes can change things but it's hard to mess up even low end stuff.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top